Throw it deep already

vinnys025

If there are 8 men in the box, that means that our WR's are 1 on 1 with the corners. I don't care if its completed or not, you still have to take at least 1 or 2 shots down the field to scare them just a little. They were not scared of Sanchez one bit today. Please get clownys ass in there and throw him a fade route, just to get them thinking. I felt like we had Pennington back there today.

If there are 8 men in the box, that means that our WR's are 1 on 1 with the corners. I don't care if its completed or not, you still have to take at least 1 or 2 shots down the field to scare them just a little. They were not scared of Sanchez one bit today. Please get clownys ass in there and throw him a fade route, just to get them thinking. I felt like we had Pennington back there today.

What difference does it make which QB you have back there? The same ****ty OC calls the plays. It's easy to blame Mangini as a scapegoat, but his hands were mostly on the defense, as it is for Rex Ryan. But shotty is the common denominator throughout all of this.

First people said it was Herm's fault. Hell it probably was. Then they said it was Chad Pennington. Hell, it was Chad Pennington. But then, then those guys both were kicked to the curb, so you couldn't blame them anymore. So then it was Mangini. Somehow Favre becoming a dink and dunk QB was all Mangini. Then Mangini and Favre got kicked out. Now Sanchez is here and it's the same damn thing. And now...now....maybe you people will finally realize that hey, maybe those other guys sucked, but maybe it's also the OC. Or hell, I dunno, maybe it's Sanchez now too. That'd kinda suck him being taken 5th overall and all that, but hey not every QB you draft is going to work out. Most of them don't actually. But you're still going to have to try it.

Sanchez is a rook and maybe the Saints D is pretty good. That Will Smith guy is pretty good. The OC is still at best maybe average, or a little below average. He is really more a QB coach than an OC. Just like draft picks, you gotta try to get a good one and if it doesn't work you gotta try again. Or maybe Ryan can learn how to run an offense and get his own OC in here or get a puppet, like BB seems to do. Retaining Schott was a rookie HC thing to do in terms of stability. He will probably get rid of Schott at the end of the year if things don't improve. Ryan knows how defenses work, so he knows an ineffective play calling offense when he sees one.

What did you guys watch? Sanchez spent a lot of time on his ass. Throwing deep isn't going to help if you can't stop the pass rush. Besides they didn't put 8 in the box. They showed 8 up and dropped different amounts, Sanchez wasn't so great at picking that up. Schottenheimer has done a pretty good job of protecting Sanchez. When he let him loose last night he ****ed up. The answer to that isn't to make him try to do more.

And Serphx, Farve sucked ass down the stretch, but he wasn't dinking and dunking. Just because a QB sucks doesn't mean he's a nibbler.

Well, I'll say this, where the hell is David Clowney? There's got to be something bigger going on between him and Rex, how bad can he be that Brad Smith is out there? Smith is fine for gadget plays and special teams but he just can't catch. Plus Clowney should be able to stretch the field more. So it is a mystery why he isn't out there...

Well, I'll say this, where the hell is David Clowney? There's got to be something bigger going on between him and Rex, how bad can he be that Brad Smith is out there? Smith is fine for gadget plays and special teams but he just can't catch. Plus Clowney should be able to stretch the field more. So it is a mystery why he isn't out there...

Smith blocks too. Good soldier, bad WR.

Our WR's do not get separation. If you notice almost every catch they make is contested. They simply do not have the speed to burn Faster corners deep . I agree with what your saying but our QB's have been checking down for years for a reason we cant beat anyone deep. One true deep threat WR transforms this entire offense and Im not sure WTF were waiting for.

Good Lord-

I've been a Jet fan my entire life, and I ventured onto forums to get and share PSL info and stuck around after.

We are 3-1, we had our first loss yesterday and today everyone sucks.

Schotty sucks, Wideouts suck, pass rush sucks, running game sucks????

Is everyone for real? Any moron can pick out the negatives but try being a positive fan for just a day. We saw a lot of good things yesterday too, did you think Mark was a machine?

Good Lord-

I've been a Jet fan my entire life, and I ventured onto forums to get and share PSL info and stuck around after.

Is everyone for real? Any moron can pick out the negatives but try being a positive fan for just a day. We saw a lot of good things yesterday too, did you think Mark was a machine?

Umm, I've been saying we needed a WR all along because the ones we have are sub par.

Umm, I've been saying we needed a WR all along because the ones we have are sub par.

Yeah obviously we don't have Randy Moss and Andre Johnson out there.

We don't need a lights out receiver to win. We just need Mark to manage the game like he did in the first 3 and we would've won yesterday.

Sure it'd be great to have another top WR. Cotch was 6th in the league going into yesterdays game, so he his fine.

Yeah obviously we don't have Randy Moss and Andre Johnson out there.

We don't need a lights out receiver to win. We just need Mark to manage the game like he did in the first 3 and we would've won yesterday.

Sure it'd be great to have another top WR. Cotch was 6th in the league going into yesterdays game, so he his fine.

We need one to win in the playoffs. I don't care about getting there and not doing anything.

This offense scares me, it has since training camp. Getting shutout wouldn't surprise me at all. That said, I don't see a team on our schedule that could, but its painful watching this team on offense. I feel more comfortable watching the defense, that shouldn't be.

And this isn't a reaction to yesterdays game, with exception to the Texans game we've had issues getting down field. To many 3 and outs.

Granted I couldn't have asked for more so far this season. Obviously I will take the 3-1, as I didn't expect anything better than 8-8 this year. We should win most of the games on our schedule, but none of them will be easy. Every win has to be earned.

Our WR's do not get separation. If you notice almost every catch they make is contested. They simply do not have the speed to burn Faster corners deep . I agree with what your saying but our QB's have been checking down for years for a reason we cant beat anyone deep. One true deep threat WR transforms this entire offense and Im not sure WTF were waiting for.

Even if they aren't getting separation, then you throw the backside shoulder fade route. My point is that they need to throw a couple of passes down the field that are over 30 yards. It does NOT matter if they are completed, hell, throw the crap to the outside shoulder to where our WR can catch it or its out of bounds incomplete. JUST STRETCH THE FIELD is the whole point I'm trying to make, at least get them thinking of something other than the slant, quick screen, and seven yard curls.

We need [a # 1 WR] to win in the playoffs. I don't care about getting there and not doing anything.

Let's GET to the playoffs first before we worry about that. It's not like we have limitlesss cap space to just go get a WR. We are paying a lot of guys to make plays on defense and we're also paying O-linemen to protect our expensive young QB. WR is a luxury that we just can't afford.

Cotchery, Keller and Stuckey were doing a more than adequate job the first 3 weeks of the season. Why has the tune suddenly changed? The loss to the Saints was mostly on Schottenheimer and Mark's shoulders, not the WR corps.

I'd have no problem with signing a decent veteran receiver (like Amani Toomer). But the price we'd have to pay to get ourselves a # 1 would be too high for us.

Next year's first round draft pick ought to be a WR. I would be more than happy if that's the route we choose to go.

i'd like to see more deep plays too but maybe a day where the rook turned the ball over 4 times on the road isn't the day to throw more deep routes... they have a small percentage chance of success on a good day... this isn't like madden 2005 where vinnys025 can take control of the WR and make a spectacular jump catch every single time ;)

fwiw there was a blurb in the ledger about how the 3rd and 1 shotguns were Sanchez audibles out of the called run... the kid just had a rough day all around... it happens.

i'd like to see more deep plays too but maybe a day where the rook turned the ball over 4 times on the road isn't the day to throw more deep routes... they have a small percentage chance of success on a good day... this isn't like madden 2005 where vinnys025 can take control of the WR and make a spectacular jump catch every single time ;)

fwiw there was a blurb in the ledger about how the 3rd and 1 shotguns were Sanchez audibles out of the called run... the kid just had a rough day all around... it happens.

Didn't know that.

Well he's a rookie in what was his 4th pro game. I wouldn't expect on-the-fly strategy to be his strong suit yet.

ITS CALLED A PASS RUSH AND BEING UNDER PRESSURE WITH NOT ENOUGH TIME TO THROW...Think before you speak....:bag:

Jets have played above their heads so far this season. You overlook everything when you're undefeated, when you're 3-1 you can start looking at some trends. Before the NO game, Sanchez was the offense's only realy bright spot. He was getting it done despite his receivers failing to get open, or his running game failing to break out.

The Jets lack playmakers on offense. Clowney's not out there because he's not a good WR. Lack of talent is on Tanny. We were short on WR's when Coles was here, letting him walk for nothing besides cap room has left the team threadbare at the position.

They're trying to get Washington more involved, but that doesn't seem to be helping. They should get him downfield in the passing game and see what happens. They should be getting Keller more involved. He's a mismatch personified. Failing to use what we do have falls to Schotty.

3-1 or 1-3, the offense has issues.

Jets have played above their heads so far this season. You overlook everything when you're undefeated, when you're 3-1 you can start looking at some trends. Before the NO game, Sanchez was the offense's only realy bright spot. He was getting it done despite his receivers failing to get open, or his running game failing to break out.

The Jets lack playmakers on offense. Clowney's not out there because he's not a good WR. Lack of talent is on Tanny. We were short on WR's when Coles was here, letting him walk for nothing besides cap room has left the team threadbare at the position.

They're trying to get Washington more involved, but that doesn't seem to be helping. They should get him downfield in the passing game and see what happens. They should be getting Keller more involved. He's a mismatch personified. Failing to use what we do have falls to Schotty.

3-1 or 1-3, the offense has issues.

Meh. If Coles was still here our passing game would be no better. They're going through some major buyer's remorse with him in Cincy.

There's only so much a GM can do in one off-season. I think Tannenbaum did enough on balance for one year, and certainly more than most.

Which WR would you like us to have added back then, and for what compensation?

Meh. If Coles was still here our passing game would be no better. They're going through some major buyer's remorse with him in Cincy.

There's only so much a GM can do in one off-season. I think Tannenbaum did enough on balance for one year, and certainly more than most.

Which WR would you like us to have added back then, and for what compensation?

Disagree strongly on Coles. He knew this offense and would be a major asset. Probably #2 to Cotch, but a significantly better #2 than Stuckey. Freeing Stuckey up to be a massive improvement over Brad Smith as a #3.

I also feel that Tanny has ignored the WR position for years, not just this offseason. Jets haven't spent a first day pick on a WR since Santana Moss. I'm not going to second guess the Sanchez trade, but I do question the Greene trade. Half a dozen WR's came off the board shortly after the 3rd round pick the Jets traded away. I'm not claiming to know which one would've been the best fit here, but one of them would've been better than none.

Ditto on the FA's. I'm at work now, and don't have the opportunity to research this offseason's FA WR's and what they signed for, all I know is that we had a glaring hole there before we lost Coles and Baker and did nothing to fill it.

Disagree strongly on Coles. He knew this offense and would be a major asset. Probably #2 to Cotch, but a significantly better #2 than Stuckey. Freeing Stuckey up to be a massive improvement over Brad Smith as a #3.

Statistically he's #5 on the Bengals right now.

I also feel that Tanny has ignored the WR position for years, not just this offseason. Jets haven't spent a first day pick on a WR since Santana Moss.

The Jets spent a first day pick (round 2) on Justin McCareins.

The Jets traded a player with (easily) the value of a first day pick - Santana Moss - for Coles.

The Jets extended the Contract of Cotchery.

The Jets took Brad Smith with a selection like 5 slots away from being a day one pick. If they'd flip-flopped his draft position and Eric Smith's would that have made it any better? No.

But most of all...

The Jets GM for the most part does what his HC wants with the resources available.

The Jets had, under high-dollar contracts, both McCareins and Coles for most of Tannenbaum's tenure as GM. When a GM is charged with the task of rebuilding a 4-3 defense into a 3-4 defense, building an OL, keeping a mega-contract Pennington on the roster and preparing for the possibility that he may never play again (at the same time)...the idea of drafting a day-one WR was a luxury.

I'm not going to second guess the Sanchez trade, but I do question the Greene trade. Half a dozen WR's came off the board shortly after the 3rd round pick the Jets traded away. I'm not claiming to know which one would've been the best fit here, but one of them would've been better than none.

Ditto on the FA's. I'm at work now, and don't have the opportunity to research this offseason's FA WR's and what they signed for, all I know is that we had a glaring hole there before we lost Coles and Baker and did nothing to fill it.

Which WR taken from the middle of round 3 onward do you feel would have made this great impact in 2009? And you even have the benefit of hindsight.

The Jets spent a first day pick (round 2) on Justin McCareins.

And that right there is probably why Tannenbaum is leery about trading a draft pick for a WR. I don't blame him, either.

I'm quite confident we'll address the WR position next offseason, probably via a 1st or 2nd round draft pick.

You also forgot to mention, Sperm, that Tannenbaum got an absolute steal in Stuckey in round 6. Not that Tannenbaum necesarrilly pegged Stuckey as a steal, but he did look good coming out of Clemson and looks like a genius of a pick now.

Statistically he's #5 on the Bengals right now.

Last year he was one catch and 8 yards behind Cotchery to be #2 on the Jets, he did lead the team in TD reception, though. Can't vouch for what he's doing in Cincy, only know that up until very recently he was a major contributor here.

The Jets spent a first day pick (round 2) on Justin McCareins. Pre-Tanny godawful move.

The Jets traded a player with (easily) the value of a first day pick - Santana Moss - for Coles.Trading a WR straight up for another WR is not an investment, it's spinning your wheels. Had they traded any other position I'd concede this one.

The Jets extended the Contract of Cotchery. This is not adding talent, it's holding onto talent.

The Jets took Brad Smith with a selection like 5 slots away from being a day one pick. If they'd flip-flopped his draft position and Eric Smith's would that have made it any better? No. Taking a QB in the fourth round is really not much like taking a WR on day one.

But most of all...

The Jets GM for the most part does what his HC wants with the resources available.

The Jets had, under high-dollar contracts, both McCareins and Coles for most of Tannenbaum's tenure as GM. When a GM is charged with the task of rebuilding a 4-3 defense into a 3-4 defense, building an OL, keeping a mega-contract Pennington on the roster and preparing for the possibility that he may never play again (at the same time)...the idea of drafting a day-one WR was a luxury.

You allow the position to rot on the vine long enough, regardless of the reasons why, and it whithers and dies. Our WR corps is not a good group, and the lack of attention to the position is a major reason why.

Which WR taken from the middle of round 3 onward do you feel would have made this great impact in 2009? And you even have the benefit of hindsight.

Again, I'm not a GM and I'm not going to look up the next six or eight WR prospects and guess at who I would've preferred. They have those resources, have had them for years, and have passed and missed on a lot of WR talent in that time. Compounding the problem is that it takes time for WR's to develop in this league, so that a rookie is generally not expected to make a major impact at the position. So by passing on the position again this year, they're another year behind. I'll root for them to take a WR in the first round next year, and hope the player makes an impact by 2011. With a franchise QB potentially in place, I hope they invest in an established vet, too. Whatever the reasons may be, it's a position that needs a complete overhaul.

You need to things to throw deep,

1) an oline to give you enough time

2) a WR that gets seperation.

Neither of those things were happening on Sunday.

Though I agree with the premise, who cares if its completed. Problem is, we have an OC who sucks donkey dick on his best day.

You need to things to throw deep,

1) an oline to give you enough time

2) a WR that gets seperation.

Neither of those things were happening on Sunday.

Though I agree with the premise, who cares if its completed. Problem is, we have an OC who sucks donkey dick on his best day.

Schotty is fine, once the full playbook is available to Mark, much success is inevitable.

Her did have some shaky calls, but for the most part this year he has done well. Schotty wasn't throwing the picks-

Schotty is fine, once the full playbook is available to Mark, much success is inevitable.

Her did have some shaky calls, but for the most part this year he has done well. Schotty wasn't throwing the picks-

No, he clearly isnt "fine". He really calls a terrible game.

He didnt throw the picks, thats for sure, but he didnt do anything to help us get back into the game and his play calling has been suspect for years.

And from what I've heard, Mark has almost all of the playbook at this point.

The Jets spent a first day pick (round 2) on Justin McCareins. Pre-Tanny godawful move.

You want to hold Tannenbaum responsible for not making any splashes like Santana Moss since 2001. It's fair in that context. It's also fair in that McCareins was knee deep into a mega-deal by the time Tannenbaum took over as GM.

The Jets traded a player with (easily) the value of a first day pick - Santana Moss - for Coles.Trading a WR straight up for another WR is not an investment, it's spinning your wheels. Had they traded any other position I'd concede this one.

The Jets extended the Contract of Cotchery. This is not adding talent, it's holding onto talent.

Both of these are examples of addressing the position. You said he ignored the position.

The Jets took Brad Smith with a selection like 5 slots away from being a day one pick. If they'd flip-flopped his draft position and Eric Smith's would that have made it any better? No. Taking a QB in the fourth round is really not much like taking a WR on day one.

It's 6 picks away from a day one pick. And frankly the 4 WR's taken directly ahead of Smith are all worse than he is. The best WR, talent and production-wise, in the draft was taken after Brad Smith: Brandon Marshall. Greg Jennings is a close second, but we were desperate for a QB prospect after passing on the big 3 with our top pick.

Last year he was one catch and 8 yards behind Cotchery to be #2 on the Jets, he did lead the team in TD reception, though. Can't vouch for what he's doing in Cincy, only know that up until very recently he was a major contributor here.

He is now what he is now. He got his last fat new contract and he sucks. All too familiar in the NFL.

You allow the position to rot on the vine long enough, regardless of the reasons why, and it whithers and dies. Our WR corps is not a good group, and the lack of attention to the position is a major reason why.

Hey I agree with you there. But what you're looking at is a fix in hindsight.

In the 2006 draft we took a left tackle, a center, and a QB. They were all necessary. There is zero doubt in my mind that the next 4 picks - both the good and the bad - were all 100% Mangini (Schlegel, E.Smith, B.Smith, Leon, Pociask, Coleman, Adams). No first-time GM who was formerly the cap guy and the contract drawer-upper guy is going to tell his HC he cannot have the LB or S prospect he wants and instead has to take the WR that Tannenbaum wants. Incidentally, had he taken one of the guys who went off the board in round 3 instead of Schlegel, he would have used your prerequisite day-one pick and ended up with one of: Travis Wilson, Derek Hagan, Brandon Williams, or Willie Reid. THIS is what I mean by "Who would you have taken?"

It seems you want to invent a player that does not exist and say "Tannenbaum should have put this guy on the team."

In 2007, we took Revis and Harris. What WR would you have wanted us to take in place of one of these two?

In 2008, there were no WR's that warranted the #6 overall pick. We could have taken one with our next pick (with or without trading up as we did), but as likely as not we would have taken one of the crappy guys: Devin Thomas, James Hardy, Malcolm Kelly, Limas Sweed, etc.). At best, you can cherry-pick the one you would have rather had instead of Keller. At worst, you end up with another sucky player and now we don't have Keller either.

Again, I'm not a GM and I'm not going to look up the next six or eight WR prospects and guess at who I would've preferred. They have those resources, have had them for years, and have passed and missed on a lot of WR talent in that time. Compounding the problem is that it takes time for WR's to develop in this league, so that a rookie is generally not expected to make a major impact at the position. So by passing on the position again this year, they're another year behind. I'll root for them to take a WR in the first round next year, and hope the player makes an impact by 2011. With a franchise QB potentially in place, I hope they invest in an established vet, too. Whatever the reasons may be, it's a position that needs a complete overhaul.

Yes, but your complaint was about the WR's we have right now, not about what WR's we'll have 4 years from now.

And it's a little like saying "get a nose tackle" or "get a franchise QB" to an extent. WHO would you get? Not some fictitious "starting WR" that doesn't exist or who would have been the biggest reach in the last 20 drafts if we pulled the trigger at our draft slots (when we picked in the top-6) or who are nothing more than cherry-picking a draft's very best WR with the benefit of hindsight, even when he wasn't that draft's best WR prospect.

The only one I think we had a real shot at this past off-season was with trading away a 2nd (that could turn into a 1st if Sheppard reached pt incentives) for Braylon friggin' Edwards. That, or signing T.O.

For the most part he was covered by the other teams CB's here. Thats the only reason Cotchery had better numbers then him.

Sperm, I saw how long you were sitting in this thread and I expected to be in for an epic response. :lol:

But I stand by what I originally said, and that your entire list of things the Jets have done at WR since 2001 is one epic failure (McCareins) and a handful of non-moves. Put together a similar post for any other postion group on the team, and the attention will blow away what the Jets have done at WR over that same period of time. The Jets spent a second round pick on a kicker during their first day drought at the WR spot (Vincent Jackson's the guy I liked that year - honestly!). Seems that a little of the money/draft picks thrown at the OL and LB spots could've been siphoned off for the WR's. I wouldn't mind having a WR earning Alan Faneca's salary.

I understand being gunshy about it being that there's a lot of busts at WR over the years, but complete inattention leads to what we've got now.

ITS CALLED A PASS RUSH AND BEING UNDER PRESSURE WITH NOT ENOUGH TIME TO THROW...Think before you speak....:bag:

He was not under pressure EVERY single play, however that is a valid point, but was your criticism of my intellect really necessary?

Sperm, I saw how long you were sitting in this thread and I expected to be in for an epic response. :lol:

Kind of like awaiting a sentence I'd imagine.

But I stand by what I originally said, and that your entire list of things the Jets have done at WR since 2001 is one epic failure (McCareins) and a handful of non-moves. Put together a similar post for any other postion group on the team, and the attention will blow away what the Jets have done at WR over that same period of time. The Jets spent a second round pick on a kicker during their first day drought at the WR spot (Vincent Jackson's the guy I liked that year - honestly!). Seems that a little of the money/draft picks thrown at the OL and LB spots could've been siphoned off for the WR's. I wouldn't mind having a WR earning Alan Faneca's salary.

I understand being gunshy about it being that there's a lot of busts at WR over the years, but complete inattention leads to what we've got now.

Yes, but it's a far cry from "Tannenbaum's ignored the position" isn't it?

It's easy and convenient to say, in hindsight, which players you'd rather have taken in a draft. Not just because of how the players turned out, but because of which positions that we addressed early that could have been addressed later. It's all done with the benefit of hindsight.

There is no defense for what Hermway did in drafting a kicker in the 2nd round. None. Nor the prior year in giving up a 2nd round pick and a giant contract for McCareins.

I outlined the Jets' 4 drafts under Tannenbaum. Again,

2006 I can understand not drafting a WR in the first 2-3 rounds given the holes on the team at other positions (we had no left tackle, no center, and quite possibly no QB other than Ramsey. Taking a WR with McCareins and Coles in lucrative long-term deals would have been an example of the poor foresight you accuse him of).

2007 I like the players we ended up with: Revis and Harris. What I would have done differently is not traded down for Jones, negating the need to trade back up for Harris. So we would have had a couple more picks as a result. Anyone's guess if either would have turned into a starting WR. For all we know they just would have drafted Stuckey earlier.

2008 is the only one that can be argued really. They made a judgment call that Keller would turn into a more useful weapon on offense than the WR's in that draft.

2009 is ridiculous to find fault with as a cause of WR woes in 2009. We used our first 2 picks on a franchise QB. 3rd round was the earliest to address the position after that. But according to you that is tantamount to ignoring the position since it wouldn't be a day-one pick.

Archived