Whats the RB plan for the JETS?

visajets

The debate continues. Who replaces TJ? Shonne Greene healthy 100% effective leads the league. Back-ups? LW will he return to pre-injury form? A practice squad player? A Canadian league RB?

2010 AFC Championship game----2011 ?

RBs are key pieces to the puzzle especially when we are a RUN oriented team 1-2 PUNCH.

The season does not start tomorrow. The Jets have both time and avenues.

Shonn Greene is their starter. That is where you begin and is the most important part of the equation.

The Jet run offense is predicated on their o-line and blocking.

I am much more concerned about Tony Richardson than RB2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be happy with an UDFA - the Jets have had some nice RB talent in camp these past few years - Ward, Mason, another guy who was signed by the Giants (forget the name) - I think they're fine. The o-line is in good shape, that's at least as important as the ball carrier.

If the Jets do not lose Leon Washington then the need to find a "Jones replacement" is little. We need a guy who can run between the tackles and be a goal line situational back, yes, but we can find that guy in the 5th or 6th round, or maybe in a veteran on the cheap sometime after the Draft. If we lose Leon, THEN we go into full time panic mode because then we do not have a #2 or a #3. All we need to replace Jones is a #3.

If Leon signs we can draft Best. If he stays were set. If he leaves and we don't want to draft in the first two and can't find value in the fourth or later then there's always LT who could be a good veteran compliment; especially good for goal line situations. And he can block! Of course he could be gone in which case we'll have to draft running back high. I agree that TRich is very important but this would be a second round need. Greene was injured often and early last season and if he were to go down and there wasn't a competent back behind him then it could be disasterous for our season. Our offense would fall apart again.

If the Jets do not lose Leon Washington then the need to find a "Jones replacement" is little. We need a guy who can run between the tackles and be a goal line situational back, yes, but we can find that guy in the 5th or 6th round, or maybe in a veteran on the cheap sometime after the Draft. If we lose Leon, THEN we go into full time panic mode because then we do not have a #2 or a #3. All we need to replace Jones is a #3.

If Leon stays, it looks like the Jets won't do much at RB. They'll probably be content with Chauncy, and maybe look at cuts in the summer. I don't think they'd bother using a pick.

If Leon goes, they'd probably use a pick on one, but I don't know if they'd use a higher pick than the one the spent last year on Shonn Greene. There'd be a little degree of awkwardness if they took a RB in the 1st or 2nd round. Maybe trade back into the third to take one? If they really like Jason Davis at FB, maybe he makes the roster and catches some passes.

The debate continues. Who replaces TJ? Shonne Greene healthy 100% effective leads the league. Back-ups? LW will he return to pre-injury form? A practice squad player? A Canadian league RB?

2010 AFC Championship game----2011 ?

RBs are key pieces to the puzzle especially when we are a RUN oriented team 1-2 PUNCH.

It's about a week into free agency, it's definitely time to start the panic about losing our unspectacular 32 year old running back.

If Leon stays, it looks like the Jets won't do much at RB. They'll probably be content with Chauncy, and maybe look at cuts in the summer. I don't think they'd bother using a pick.

If Leon goes, they'd probably use a pick on one, but I don't know if they'd use a higher pick than the one the spent last year on Shonn Greene. There'd be a little degree of awkwardness if they took a RB in the 1st or 2nd round. Maybe trade back into the third to take one? If they really like Jason Davis at FB, maybe he makes the roster and catches some passes.

They seem to do a lot of this. They have been pulling bodies off of practice squads and end of camp cuts quite a bit during the Tannenbaum years, especially at RB. The first few years I thought it was because they were only carrying 2 RBs and no FB, but they picked up Washington last year despite having a bunch of guys. We haven't seen them do much, but if Danny Ware is any indication they would probably be fine.

Archived