Whats the RB plan for the JETS?

visajets

Even more than "his running backs are a dime a dozen thing has to go" the expressions that are the real weak sauce "he just gets the job done" and "he needs 12-15 carries to get warmed up" garbage. An equivalent expression would be "if the Jets defense keeps our ho-hum offense in the game and if our OL is blocking great, then we will witness our non-special RB gain over 4 yards per carry today." A feat, I might add, that he failed to accomplish in 12 of our 19 games in 2009 despite running behind a decidedly solid run-blocking OL and run-blocking FB.

One of the biggest weaknesses with having Jones and Greene as #1 and #2 (in whatever order) is that neither one can catch worth a lick. Greene isn't going anywhere, so not paying Jones $6M at age 32 was a no-brainer.

That $6M is better-spent towards an extension for someone with an actual future on this team (Revis, Mangold, Ferguson, Harris, and maybe Edwards or Cromartie). The last thing I would want to see is the Jets equivalent of passing up on Shaq back in '96 because they burned that money on a 34 year-old Ewing the year before.

From the comments of some, you'd think we just saw a season of Jones making some of the league's better run defenses look crappy. The only run defenses we faced all year that was statistically one of the league's best units - by virtue of how many yards they yielded per rushing attempt, not by how many rushing attempts there were against them - were Atlanta and Cincy. Jones was awful against both, getting under 3 ypc in all 3 games.

He's a solid back, but that money is far better-spent towards one or more of our young studs' bonuses.

Cross haired and clicked on this one Sperm -

It's just too bad that TJ still thinks he has a 1/3 of a tank left and wants that kind of years and money. We probably won't get a better back to replace him for this season, but a draftee would be better long term addition. If exercised correctly. My fear is getting an avg or less stop gap FA and then having Greene go down. Maybe a pick is the way to go here.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to play devil's advocate, they did burn a third, fourth and seventh to take Greene with Jones and Leon already on the team.

Yeah, but they did that fully expecting Jones to be released this year. No one thought he'd have his best season as a pro last season. They probably thought Greene was going to make his way into the starting lineup sooner.

This year, they have their feature back in the fold. If Leon doesn't get moved before the draft, I just can't imagine them spending an early pick on a RB. Maybe a late pick, probably a couple UDFA's.

Slats brought up a good point about Smith and WC, but I'd expand that.

I think Rex & Schotty realize that Smith is a marginal WR at best. He's a jack-of-all trades player. So I think we'll actually see him even in the RB position more next year.

The Plan?

It's Greene, Leon, and Chauncy. Probably a couple UDFA's to compete with the lesser Washington. Maybe a late pick, but probably not.

Brad Smith will be in the mix with the Jets' Seminole package. Hopefully they realize that he's better at it than Leon.

Love to see TJ back, but don't expect it.

I think they're entertaining offers for Leon. If they get any, things could change rapidly.

People thinking the Jets might take a back early are off base, IMHO. You take a back high to start him, and the Jets are comfortable this year with Greene as their starter. If Greene doesn't live up to expectations, next year they can draft a RB.

IDK slats, as you said things change quickly-now are there any say pass rushers that we'd be able to sign with the 2nd round tender that is placed on Leon-IOW, anybody in his same slot so to speak...that Elvis guy perhaps...we might just say no thanks to someone if the available field doesn't warrant the move...I know I didn't make this as clear as I would have liked but maybe you get the drift...

IDK slats, as you said things change quickly-now are there any say pass rushers that we'd be able to sign with the 2nd round tender that is placed on Leon-IOW, anybody in his same slot so to speak...that Elvis guy perhaps...we might just say no thanks to someone if the available field doesn't warrant the move...I know I didn't make this as clear as I would have liked but maybe you get the drift...

Lots of talk about the Jets' need for a pass rush, but I just don't see the team making big moves at the OLB position - which are the traditional pass rushers in the 3-4. Pace and Thomas are a decent starting duo, Gholston (and his fat contract) is here another year, I think they like Westerman. Maybe Adalius comes in as a part time pass rusher, or the Jets employ a three-headed platoon at the position. But I just don't see the big move. Definitely not another high draft pick.

What I'd like to see them find is a 3-4 DE who can get to the passer on his own. An extra 2nd round pick might help them in that regard.

What I'd like to see them find is a 3-4 DE who can get to the passer on his own. An extra 2nd round pick might help them in that regard.

Not a second rounder...but I agree with this point and I have the perfect player in mind for a 3-4 DL...two players actually:

img.423398_t.jpg

RYDNZRJEKSLDASP.20071023152123.jpg

Day 2 of NFL March Madness. Will Thomas Jones sign with KC today? Will he pull a stunner and return to NY?

Hes gonna sign with the JETS he knows thie team is on the verge of winning a Super Bowl something all players covet.

Day 2 of NFL March Madness. Will Thomas Jones sign with KC today? Will he pull a stunner and return to NY?

i think he'll resign here....i heard Darnell Docket on sirius this morning and he heard the JETS were trying hard to resign Jones...

Via Twitter:

ManishMehta1

Team that makes most sense for UFA RB Thomas Jones? Easy: The #Jets. RB that makes most sense for #NYJ ? Easy: TJ. Gotta re-sign him. #nfl

I continue to tend to agree.

I'm all for it too VeeJay

We need this to happen. Tanne needs to do damage control. TJ is a warrior who got the job done. Im ok with Greene being the starter but TJs prescence and ability to get yardage is like money in the bank.

We need this to happen. Tanne needs to do damage control. TJ is a warrior who got the job done. Im ok with Greene being the starter but TJs prescence and ability to get yardage is like money in the bank.

I was talking about this with my wife on the way to work and told her if the $$$ is close he HAS to sign back up with the Jets. I mean who wants to go through all the trouble of moving, and having to learn a new system and is that team as good as the Jets, do they have a Tony Richardson and the best OL in the league? If I was making say 2.5 this year and someone offered me an extra 100 grand to play say in Detroit or KC....I'd say no thanks

I was talking about this with my wife on the way to work and told her if the $$$ is close he HAS to sign back up with the Jets. I mean who wants to go through all the trouble of moving, and having to learn a new system and is that team as good as the Jets, do they have a Tony Richardson and the best OL in the league? If I was making say 2.5 this year and someone offered me an extra 100 grand to play say in Detroit or KC....I'd say no thanks

The NFL is a business SFJ unfortunately these players go where the $$$$ is loyalty is no longer heard of in professional sports. Money talks.

The NFL is a business SFJ unfortunately these players go where the $$$$ is loyalty is no longer heard of in professional sports. Money talks.

oh yea I know and I don't blame them either. All I'm saying is if the Jets can match or ALMOST MATCH whatever say KC, SD or Det offers if 'I' was Jones, I'd stay put.

I dont want Jones i had a party based on jets releasing him..

Woodhead>Jones

This is the most retarded sh!t ive read on here since yesterday.

Tiny Woodhead is a bum compared to Thomas Jones, you cannot be serious.

Kind of hard to ask for loyalty from TJ. Loyalty to what? The team that just cut him to save a few bucks? It's an uncapped season, no less.

:cheers: Heres to TJ resigning with the JETS.

+1

:cheers:

Would anyone have a problem with below? I did a 2 round mock and ended up with this:

1.) Golden Tate WR, Notre Dame

2.) Kao Misi, DE/OLB, Utah

5.) Myron Rolle S, Florida State

6.) Andre Dixon RB, UCONN

7.) Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan

Dixon could be the perfect Back up to come in with fresh legs.

The debate continues. Who replaces TJ? Shonne Greene healthy 100% effective leads the league. Back-ups? LW will he return to pre-injury form? A practice squad player? A Canadian league RB?

2010 AFC Championship game----2011 ?

RBs are key pieces to the puzzle especially when we are a RUN oriented team 1-2 PUNCH.

Archived