Ump calls Yanks, Sox 'a disgrace to baseball'

Lil Bit Special

Way to stay impartial.

IMO, the biggest disgrace in baseball the past 2 seasons has been the umpiring. It has been downright awful all around.

Besides, isn't it the umpire's job to enforce the "speed-up" rules that recently were enacted?

I don't understand the need to speed up the game. When you're at the ball game, are you hoping it's over quickly? You're outside in beautiful weather watching a game. Do you really want it to be over quickly?

I guess you can't blame an umpire for having tunnel vision, but this fat hump has completely forgotten his place in the world. Sure, there's a general policy of trying to shorten games, but it's obviously completely superseded in this specific instance. How many times over do you suppose the revenue generated by one Yanks-Sox game going an extra half hour would pay this retard's salary?

Grant you that the Yanks/Sawx games take forever. But one thing Yanks, Sawx, fans of both teams and all of baseball can agree on unanimously-Joe West is a dick, and lousy umpire with an inconsistent strike zone. he also solicits players and media to play his crappy country westrern music, which sucks balls. MLB should be embarrassed he's a crew chief. Not a fan of David Ortiz, but not giving him a time out 3 times the other night was a joke. How does the ump know whether he has something in his eye or some other legiitmate reason he stepped out?And Angel Hernandez seemed embarrassed by it, like he was apologizing and said something to Ortiz like he was only following orders.Posada and Burnett, to their credit, didn't throw a pitch, which was respectful and classy. West is the worst of all possible variables in any business; an incompetent embarrassment who doesn't have enough self-awareness to see people think he's a joke.

I don't understand the need to speed up the game. When you're at the ball game, are you hoping it's over quickly? You're outside in beautiful weather watching a game. Do you really want it to be over quickly?

Agreed. I barely want to leave The Stadium even after the game is over and I'm there at least once every home stand.

It's like saying I'd prefer to have less blowjobs in my life.

I can't remember a time in which the officials in the three major sports were less competent and trustworthy. The fact that this guy feels comfortable publicly putting two specific teams on blast speaks really poorly of MLB.

HD Television.

I can't remember a time in which the officials in the three major sports were less competent and trustworthy.

What kills me is Stern being the one who had to answer for a Donaghy given how obviously the problems with baseball and football are top-down.

Agreed. I barely want to leave The Stadium even after the game is over and I'm there at least once every home stand.

It's like saying I'd prefer to have less blowjobs in my life.

The true fans are not the objective of shortening the game.

They would like baseball to be more mainstream, and that means attending to a short attention span.

Football has done the same thing in recent decades, and it has not been to the betterment of the game.

What kills me is Stern being the one who had to answer for a Donaghy given how obviously the problems with baseball and football are top-down.

As long as sanctimonious Luddites remain the self-appointed gatekeepers of baseball, they'll continue selling the bill of goods that non-injectable human foibles from corked bats to phantom double plays to blown HR calls are essential to retaining the sport's timeless rustic charm.

The NFL is particularly vexing though, since pretty much everyone save QB-apologist windbags like Peter King has long since acknowledged and shrugged off the fact that Mike Pereira has gleefully kept pace with the NBA in ensuring that his sport is played with two sets of rules.

Most Imcompetent Refs/Umpires.

1) NFL

2) NBA

3) MLB

4) FIFA Soccer

Most Arrogant Officials

1) MLB

They have this category all by themselves

Funny you say this, because I'd say NFL Referee crews do by far the best job out of all major sports.

The true fans are not the objective of shortening the game.

They would like baseball to be more mainstream, and that means attending to a short attention span.

Football has done the same thing in recent decades, and it has not been to the betterment of the game.

Except that it flies in the face of logic. You sell a lot more beers and hot dogs in a 4 hour game than you do in a 3 hour one.

Baseball is plenty mainstream anyway as is.

Except that it flies in the face of logic. You sell a lot more beers and hot dogs in a 4 hour game than you do in a 3 hour one.

Baseball is plenty mainstream anyway as is.

Again, the fans that are at the ballpark are not the ones that they are looking to shorten the games for. Those are the people that are already a captive audience.

They are looking to heighten interest and awareness in the casual and non fan, who view baseball as too long and boring.

NFL is mainstream, and they took to shortening games in that as well. All in the name of marketing, $$$ and creating a broader base appeal.

Does not make it right, but that is what they are doing.

Again, the fans that are at the ballpark are not the ones that they are looking to shorten the games for. Those are the people that are already a captive audience.

They are looking to heighten interest and awareness in the casual and non fan, who view baseball as too long and boring.

NFL is mainstream, and they took to shortening games in that as well. All in the name of marketing, $$$ and creating a broader base appeal.

Does not make it right, but that is what they are doing.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just expressing my frustration over what we've all known for a long time: baseball is run by and large by a bunch of dummies who can't get out of their own way.

Archived