I've Decided Who I Want Next Week

SoFlaJets

Everson Griffen

OLB, USC

6-3, 273, 4.8-40

Projection: 1st round

There is a wide range of opinion on Griffen. Some analysts have him going in the mid-late first round while others have him dropping to the 2nd or even 3rd. The talent is clearly there but his questionable work ethic might scare teams off on draft day. He has not shown the consistency needed to thrive in the NFL.

Griffen played the

Reminds me of Vernon Gholston a little, just not as hyped and in a better draft. Big and strong, ridiculous speed for his size, decent production despite some questions about motor and not playing up to his ability in college, questionable work ethic...

Reminds me of Vernon Gholston a little, just not as hyped and in a better draft. Big and strong, ridiculous speed for his size, decent production despite some questions about motor and not playing up to his ability in college, questionable work ethic...

he seems to "want it" more than Gholston ever has-not afraid to put his head down and get at it. Vern has never showed us that, except one play (catching Chris Johnson from behind)

I swear he reminds me a lot of John Abraham. Remember what a dominant force he was his rookie season before he crawled off on all fours at the end of that New England game? He was a game changer-and on defense-we haven't had one since that day in 2000

I dont understand though, this guy weighs 280 by alot of sources, mine as well gain another 5-10 pounds and play 3-4 de. Id take Dunlap(most mock drafts hve him in taken in the second), Linval Joseph (beast, next ngata), Kindle (if he drops).

I dont understand though, this guy weighs 280 by alot of sources, mine as well gain another 5-10 pounds and play 3-4 de. Id take Dunlap(most mock drafts hve him in taken in the second), Linval Joseph (beast, next ngata), Kindle (if he drops).

i want no part of joseph. kindle will be long gone, and dunlap has lots of talent, but he's inconsistent.

assuming of course that the logical first choice would be Jared Oldrick but I doubt he's there @ 29 JonE

Jared Oldrick isnt special and he'll be a bust in the league. Gholston V2.0. People are saying Oldrick just because people on TV are saying it (not you specifically). I cant find anything remotely dominate about this guy at the collegiate level.

eDxLEDjM4_4

U6YudeVoml8

IDNdZ9WrtTk

Griffen's a good player...wouldn't surprise me at all if he ended up the best DE from this draft. He plays like a bigger version of Graham when he's at his best...obviously he'd go alot higher if he did that all the time.

Not sure I care who they draft anymore, but I do really hope it's Terrence Cody.

Griffen's a good player...wouldn't surprise me at all if he ended up the best DE from this draft. He plays like a bigger version of Graham when he's at his best...obviously he'd go alot higher if he did that all the time.

Not sure I care who they draft anymore, but I do really hope it's Terrence Cody.

Translation: Not sure I care who they draft anymore, but I do really hope we can get someone who is 350 pounds of pure fat and can play 6 snaps per game.

Translation: Not sure I care who they draft anymore, but I do really hope we can get someone who is 350 pounds of pure fat and can play 6 snaps per game.

Brandon Graham is 6'2 with shorter than even average arms. He doesn't have the perfect body for his position and physically never can because he's not going to grow. We shouldn't draft him.

Haloti Ngata and Vince Wilfork...two top talents who fell into the teens because at one point they were couldn't keep themselves in shape while in college. These big guys...they're big from an early age. No 21-23 year old college DT with frames as big as those guys has a clue of how to keep his weight in check, and in college they're so good it doesn't even matter.

But that's right...Cody didn't run his 40 fast and looked fat with his shirt off (really?! :rolleyes: ). I'm sure Wilfork and Ngata looked like they were pulled off the runway coming out. You're not grabbing a giant NT because he's the most in-shape player on his team. Almost every NT prospect was fat at one point in their career, many at many points in their career. If Ryan Pickett can become a pretty good 3-4 NT, then I think Terrence Cody can pull it off.

Ill bet anyone that we don't end up picking at 29 this year... We're either going to move up or move down. Knowing the personalities of Rex and Tanny, Im leaning very significantly towards up.

But if thats the case, whats the 1 player we'd be targeting in the middle of the 1st round? There's almost no way we'd trade up into the top 5 without giving up a boatload.

I could actually seeing us trading down or staying put. This is the kind of draft where you let the board come to you. LOTS of talented kids worth having.

And although we have few dire needs, this would be a good opportunity to be proactive and bring in guys who can eventually replace some of our aging vets (i.e. Ellis, Faneca, Woody) or come in if/when injuries happen. We don't have much depth, and that could bite us in the ass at some point this season.

I've seen mocks that have us taking Sergio Kindle, who I guarantee will be the next Gholston.

Nope, completely disagree. Kindle actually has a lot of experience at both linebacker and de. So the transition wont be as hard for him. Also, im projecting Hughes rather to be the next Gholston. Hughes has bust written all over him if a 3-4 team takes him. If he goes to a 4-3 team, I see no problem though.

Nope, completely disagree. Kindle actually has a lot of experience at both linebacker and de. So the transition wont be as hard for him. Also, im projecting Hughes rather to be the next Gholston. Hughes has bust written all over him if a 3-4 team takes him. If he goes to a 4-3 team, I see no problem though.

He just seems too soft. He shy's away from contact (like Gholston), and has trouble shedding blockers. Pass

he seems to "want it" more than Gholston ever has-not afraid to put his head down and get at it. Vern has never showed us that, except one play (catching Chris Johnson from behind)

How so? Vernon was actually about as productive (maybe even more so) in college than Griffen. Griffen's got motor issues and didn't play to his potential in college...what does that say abount "wanting it"? Highlights are nice, but they won't show you the plays he takes off which is an issue. VG's highlights coming out of college were ridiculous too.

Why dont you want no part of the next Ngata? Thats pretty foolish

If he's the next Ngata, why in the world is he a late first-early second round pick? Perhaps because, despite his tremendous physical tools, there are some question marks surruounding him and he may not be a successful - let alone dominant - NFL player?

I've seen mocks that have us taking Sergio Kindle, who I guarantee will be the next Gholston.

What exactly do Kindle and Gholston have in common? Kindle's much more fluid, has a considerably better motor, closes better, and actually has played a bunch of linebacker, even safety in HS. I'm not sure where the comparison begins between these two, I'm sure you can come up with something but they're quite different as prospects.

EDIT: I see you replied to that one already. I view Kindle as actually being a very physical guy, but yeah he's not that stout and can have some issues coming off of blocks. That gets masked in a 3-4 though, and his violent nature and explosiveness will help make up for it. Much more aggressive than VG ever was. Certainly not a lock to be a success and there are definitely questions, but he and Gholston are not very similar at all IMO.

But if thats the case, whats the 1 player we'd be targeting in the middle of the 1st round? There's almost no way we'd trade up into the top 5 without giving up a boatload.

I could actually seeing us trading down or staying put. This is the kind of draft where you let the board come to you. LOTS of talented kids worth having.

And although we have few dire needs, this would be a good opportunity to be proactive and bring in guys who can eventually replace some of our aging vets (i.e. Ellis, Faneca, Woody) or come in if/when injuries happen. We don't have much depth, and that could bite us in the ass at some point this season.

Agreed... But I bet we all though it would cost a boatload more than it did to acquire Mark Sanchez last year, and Santonio Holmes this year... You're never sure what Tanny can pull out of nowhere.

I agree though that for the most part, we have ZERO glaring needs entering the draft, which is exactly what you want. This gives us the luxury of:

1 - Taking BPA, regardless of position

2 - trading down if we don't like whose on the board

3 - We now have 5 draft picks we can use for depth...In all likelihood, nobody we draft this year will be an immediate starter. (Except for maybe DE opposite Ellis...But that will be a shared time position IMO)

Archived