I've Decided Who I Want Next Week

SoFlaJets

Why dont you want no part of the next Ngata? Thats pretty foolish

Maybe because the next Warren Sapp blew donkeys.

But if thats the case, whats the 1 player we'd be targeting in the middle of the 1st round? There's almost no way we'd trade up into the top 5 without giving up a boatload.

I could actually seeing us trading down or staying put. This is the kind of draft where you let the board come to you. LOTS of talented kids worth having.

And although we have few dire needs, this would be a good opportunity to be proactive and bring in guys who can eventually replace some of our aging vets (i.e. Ellis, Faneca, Woody) or come in if/when injuries happen. We don't have much depth, and that could bite us in the ass at some point this season.

I think Tannenbaum may well fall in love with a mid-round guy that he thinks is a good fit. Maybe he likes Kyle Wilson better than the other CBs or maybe the S or LB he likes falls. He's certainly not afraid to trade and if the guy he likes is nearby I can see them making a move. I kind of hope not, but they do seem to fall in love (Revis, Harris, Sanchez, Greene, Keller). Trading down is usually fine with me, but don't they usually consider 29 a "value pick"? By that I mean the usual 1 year longer first round contract for a cheaper price and the player of your choice-that's part of the bill of goods we were sold with Keller.

He just seems too soft. He shy's away from contact (like Gholston), and has trouble shedding blockers. Pass

When did you see Gholston shy away from contact? IMO his biggest problem is a failure to disengage. He does seem to go half speed, but that never struck me as fear of contact because he does it more in space than when he's hitting the point of attack.

Agreed... But I bet we all though it would cost a boatload more than it did to acquire Mark Sanchez last year, and Santonio Holmes this year... You're never sure what Tanny can pull out of nowhere.

I agree though that for the most part, we have ZERO glaring needs entering the draft, which is exactly what you want. This gives us the luxury of:

1 - Taking BPA, regardless of position

2 - trading down if we don't like whose on the board

3 - We now have 5 draft picks we can use for depth...In all likelihood, nobody we draft this year will be an immediate starter. (Except for maybe DE opposite Ellis...But that will be a shared time position IMO)

i do see us trading down. teams that want a qb are going to want to move up in front of minny. we are in the perfect spot to trade down.

I swear he reminds me a lot of John Abraham. Remember what a dominant force he was his rookie season before he crawled off on all fours at the end of that New England game? He was a game changer-and on defense-we haven't had one since that day in 2000

I could not agree with you more. Abe could get after the QB and we did not lead to blitz. We need to get pressure without having to blitz every down to apply it.

they could do alot worse than Everson Griffen... hes seriously underrated right now

hey Matt who is the best LG coming out that might be there too? We need some OL depth and I can see us doing something like that-hey wasn't Mangold a #29 pick?

so let me ask you guys a question. at what spot in the draft do you expect a player to be a starter??? I would think that if you aren't drafting for depth, a player in the first round should be a starter.

that's a good question Coach. In Rex's defense especially he will utilize almost everything he has. So say we draft a guy like Griffen-he WILL play and if he does good, sacks the QB he'll play more and more. Everybody gets a shot. We would also expect a kid like that to contribute on ST's.

On offense if we pick guy to replace say DWood or Faneca then he sits until needed.

so let me ask you guys a question. at what spot in the draft do you expect a player to be a starter??? I would think that if you aren't drafting for depth, a player in the first round should be a starter.

It depends on what your team looks like, how many needs you have. The only places I could see a rookie coming in to start on the Jets would be at DE and maybe FS, but if the value isn't there at either of those positions, I want them to take the BAP for depth instead.

It depends on what your team looks like, how many needs you have. The only places I could see a rookie coming in to start on the Jets would be at DE and maybe FS, but if the value isn't there at either of those positions, I want them to take the BAP for depth instead.

yea th's right slats-we DO have an opening at DE now with Marques Douglas gone-all the more reason to draft Griffen. I think they are pretty high on Brodney Poole though at safety

Also depends on the player's position. Some positions are notoriously easier to make the jump from college to the Pro level.. i.e. RB and OL. While others need more time to adjust/add size/strength and learn the differences between the pro game.

Everson Griffen [..] would be a dynamic pass rusher as an OLB in the 3-4 and just needs someone to light a fire under him. Ryan could very well be that guy.

I'm telling you, the Jets don't want to draft another one of these DE-to-OLB projects in the first round. It's risky business. They need to be developed, and sometimes they never do. See: Thomas, Bryan or Gholston, Vernon. Jets have learned their lesson here, why don't the fans?

This is the reason they're pushing so hard for Jason Taylor; so they can take a project like this completely off their board.

Jets are in a serious win-now mode with a ton of talent on the last year of their deals. Look for a CB in round one - a very easy position for a talented rookie to step right in and play man coverage on pure instincts. Guy'll get on the field often in nickel packages, and be a major contributor on special teams.

I'm telling you, the Jets don't want to draft another one of these DE-to-OLB projects in the first round. It's risky business. They need to be developed, and sometimes they never do. See: Thomas, Bryan or Gholston, Vernon. Jets have learned their lesson here, why don't the fans?

This is the reason they're pushing so hard for Jason Taylor; so they can take a project like this completely off their board.

Jets are in a serious win-now mode with a ton of talent on the last year of their deals. Look for a CB in round one - a very easy position for a talented rookie to step right in and play man coverage on pure instincts. Guy'll get on the field often in nickel packages, and be a major contributor on special teams.

Yup. I hope we concentrate on the D-line and some defensive backs. It would be nice to know what's up with Taylor though, because a natural pass rusher would be a great addition. Bit harsh on Thomas though, he's developed (at long last) into a very good player. He's immense against the run, just offers next to nothing pass rushing.

Yup. I hope we concentrate on the D-line and some defensive backs. It would be nice to know what's up with Taylor though, because a natural pass rusher would be a great addition. Bit harsh on Thomas though, he's developed (at long last) into a very good player. He's immense against the run, just offers next to nothing pass rushing.

I like Thomas as a player, but there's no doubt that he was drafted specifically to rush the passer and that never happened. Jets don't need another decent OLB with their first round pick, that's all I'm saying.

I like Thomas as a player, but there's no doubt that he was drafted specifically to rush the passer and that never happened. Jets don't need another decent OLB with their first round pick, that's all I'm saying.

I'd agree, but lumping any man in with Vernon Gholston is tough.

:winking0001:

I wouldn't be unhappy if a good CB fell to us since you NEED 4 or 5 good ones, especially in this division now. Drew Coleman and Dwight Lowery are OK but we saw last year how the injuries (plural) to Strickland really hurt us against teams with 4 or 5 receiving threats-LIKE Miami, LIKE NE, and LIKE Indianapolis.

hey Matt who is the best LG coming out that might be there too? We need some OL depth and I can see us doing something like that-hey wasn't Mangold a #29 pick?

not gonna happen. the best LG is iupati and he's probably gonna be long gone.

Mangold was a replacement for Mawae.

The jets dont draft depth in round 1 they draft what they hope to be starters.

so what position, not player do you see us going after?

definitely agree with you about OLB and the push for Taylor. i could also see the Jets going CB in the first round. makes sense.

i agree, but we need a de and we can't think every player is going to be ghoulston. that's why i like brandon graham. he has a good motor and never quits. draftnicks are reporting he doesn't have a high ceiling as some of the others, but if you have room to grow but never take advantage of it, itsn't that worse.

if there isn't a decent de prospect then going bpa available or trading down would be our best option. does anyone really think we'd move up to top ten to get more of a sure thing though?? i mean as of now tanny has most people here creaming in their pants.

so what position, not player do you see us going after?

they still need CB, S, WR, DL and OLB.

but the way the Jets are approaching this thing... including the Jason taylor courtship, is that they won't be tied to positional need when the draft comes. they will be an almost true best player available player scenario. They will take a rusher but it has to be the right rusher (Brandon Graham). They will take a nose tackle but has to be the right nose tackle (Cody). They will take a corner but it has to be the right corner (mccourty).

They aren't gonna reach for a need.

Honestly I think it's gonna be Taylor Mays.

I looked it up on Jason's cap page and Ihedibo, Pool and Smith are all on 1 year deals. Leonard has 2 years left. Alot of uncertainty at that safety position and if Mays falls all way to 29, even with his flaws he has top 10 measurables and likes to hit. That's good enough for me.

You never draft for depth in round 1. By not having any holes you can draft the BAP. If they are that good they may start even over a good player.

You think McCourty is the CB they like? I think Wilson. Or is it that Wilson will be gone and McCourty may be there?

i agree, but we need a de and we can't think every player is going to be ghoulston. that's why i like brandon graham. he has a good motor and never quits. draftnicks are reporting he doesn't have a high ceiling as some of the others, but if you have room to grow but never take advantage of it, itsn't that worse.

if there isn't a decent de prospect then going bpa available or trading down would be our best option. does anyone really think we'd move up to top ten to get more of a sure thing though?? i mean as of now tanny has most people here creaming in their pants.

If you mean rusher fine, but Graham is not a DE in this D. He's a OLB, like Gholston. The team doesn't have a need at OLB, they have a need at DE. Or do you just mean that you don't think Graham will bust?

You think McCourty is the CB they like? I think Wilson. Or is it that Wilson will be gone and McCourty may be there?

Wilson is not a first-round athlete. It's a warning sign when a guy won't lift and run at the same weight, especially when it's a small-framed cornerback whose tape clearly displays a lack of functional strength and your scheme relies heavily on press coverage.

JHughes.jpg

Jerry Hughes, 6-2/257

Outside Linebacker

TCU

Jerry Hughes Scouting Report

By Matt McGuire

Strengths: Terrific speed and explosion off the edge

Relentless pass rusher

Nonstop motor

Extremely fast first step

Love his bend and flexibility running the horn

Nice pass rush repertoire (spin, club, swim)

Shows ability to counter an offensive tackle

Great instincts

High level of production

Nice footwork and timing

Does a good job of reading a tackle's feet

Good hand extension

Big hitter

Sure tackler

Plays with pad level

Seems to want it more than everyone else

Comfortable in space

Big leader

get.media?sid=43988&m=6&tp=8&d=s&c=1

b?c1=8&c2=2102&c3=315&c4=505600&c5=&c6=&c15=1577%2c1477%2c1311&c16=&cv=1.3&cj=1

Weaknesses: Average size

Will get engulfed by bigger linemen at next level

Hips a little stiff in coverage

Lacks bulk on frame

Lacks power

Poor defender against run

Summary: Hughes earns my first-round, 4-star grade as a 3-4 rush linebacker. His athleticism and motor is simply too much for me to not grade him out higher than everyone else. He is my No. 1 3-4 outside linebacker in the draft and I expect his stock to soar among the 3-4 teams in the league. He was simply too productive at TCU, and despite his lack of height we can see what Elvis Dumervil did last season with his exceptional first step and speed off the edge. Hughes is a projected late-first to second-round pick, but could end up going in the top 25 picks when it's all said and done, much like Larry English.

Player Comparison: Robert Mathis. Mathis is an undersized pass rusher who plays with amazing effort, but is a liability against the run.

EGriffen.jpg

Everson Griffen, 6-3/278

Defensive End

USC

Everson Griffen Scouting Report

By Matt McGuire

Strengths: Good size

Very quick first step

Nice speed

Tons of experience at rush backer

Comfortable in coverage

Fluid athlete

Great in pursuit

Rangy

Anticipates snap count very well

Plays with nice balance

Very good agility

Plays with great pad level

Very high upside

Can play 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB

Hard hitter

b?c1=8&c2=2102&c3=315&c4=505600&c5=&c6=&c15=1577%2c1477%2c1311&c16=&cv=1.3&cj=1

Weaknesses: Highly inconsistent

Never really dominates

Lacks a pass rush repertoire

Lacks awareness - struggles to diagnose

Below-average instincts

Unimpressive motor

Underproductive

Very raw prospect

Poor hand use

Should be more powerful

Might lack some leadership

Doesn't play a high percentage of snaps

Summary: If the Raiders pass up on Griffen in the first round, then he could very well fall to the second round. I have watched a LOT of tape on Griffen and the tape just isn't there to justify a top-20 draft pick. He's a soft football player and I question his love of the game with his physical tools. Griffen seems like a boom-or-bust prospect at the next level, and I'm not leaning towards "boom."

Player Comparison: Robert Geathers. Griffen doesn't have his motor, but he's an average defensive end with good athleticism. I see a similar career for Griffen.

You never draft for depth in round 1. By not having any holes you can draft the BAP. If they are that good they may start even over a good player.

If you mean rusher fine, but Graham is not a DE in this D. He's a OLB, like Gholston. The team doesn't have a need at OLB, they have a need at DE. Or do you just mean that you don't think Graham will bust?

I think they'd take McCourty or Wilson, but neither will be there. Graham won't bust and would play OLB.

Archived