Re-grading 2007 draft: Three-year look back gives real picture

Jetscode1

Nice perspecive on looking through the draft some three years later...

The Jets made two bold moves in this draft, trading up to get corner Darrelle Revis and linebacker David Harris. They hit big on both. Revis is the game's best corner right now and has proven to be worth taking in the first round. Harris is one of the league's underrated players, a tackling machine in the inside of the Jets' 3-4 scheme. He makes a lot of big plays. The other two picks are no longer with the Jets, although seventh-round receiver Chansi Stuckey is with the Browns after being traded last year. They landed only two players from this draft, but that's a heck of a duo.

Grade: A

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13313391/regrading-2007-draft-threeyear-look-back-gives-real-picture?tag=coverlist_active;coverlist_footer

I wouldn't mind having Stuckey back. I'd trade Clowney and bunch of other guys that never play for him.

I actually hated that we had to give Stuckey up for Braylon. He would've been the perfect slot receiver for the Jets last year. Although the acquisition of Holmes this offseason certainly takes the sting out of that. :P

All of that said, getting a pair of players like Revis and Harris automatically makes this draft a huge success. Revis alone would've been enough for a great grade.

Miami Dolphins

The Dolphins had three picks in the first 60, and not one of them is still on the roster. They drafted Ted Ginn Jr. with the ninth overall pick, and he did little before being traded to the 49ers this month. The second-round pick was quarterback John Beck, who is now with Baltimore. He didn't do much for Miami. Third-round pick Samson Satele started the first two seasons with Miami, but was traded to Oakland last year where he started at center. That's 0-for-3. Ouch. The best pick of the draft was seventh-round punter Brandon Fields, who had a great season in 2009. When a punter is your best pick, and you blow a top 10 pick, there's only one grade to give.

Grade: F

:D

They understated Stuckey's importance just a tad. After all, he was our # 2 receiver heading into 2009 and helped us land Braylon Edwards. Gotta appreciate the A though.

I cringe at the thought of what grade we'll get in 2008, though. Thanks, Gholston.

2008 might not grade that bad. They did get Keller, Lowery and Ainge. One of the picks was traded for Jenkins. OTOH, the whiffed #6 overall and gave up Bollinger and Vilma for picks.

I actually hated that we had to give Stuckey up for Braylon. He would've been the perfect slot receiver for the Jets last year. Although the acquisition of Holmes this offseason certainly takes the sting out of that. :P

All of that said, getting a pair of players like Revis and Harris automatically makes this draft a huge success. Revis alone would've been enough for a great grade.

For me the big problem with losing Stuckey was that he was working well wih Sanchez. Edwards is an upgrade sure, but we knew he was going to take some time to get in synch with Sanchez. Odd thing is Edwards had a monster game that first weekand then kind of faded. I don't think it's such a big deal replacing him with a full camp to do it.

That draft analysis is cool. Nice read.

I'd like a summary of how last years' OL came together. I don't have time to do the analysis but I think it's a big part of last season's success.

Hopefully someone in the FO is doing their homework so it can be repeated.

Miami Dolphins

The Dolphins had three picks in the first 60, and not one of them is still on the roster. They drafted Ted Ginn Jr. with the ninth overall pick, and he did little before being traded to the 49ers this month. The second-round pick was quarterback John Beck, who is now with Baltimore. He didn't do much for Miami. Third-round pick Samson Satele started the first two seasons with Miami, but was traded to Oakland last year where he started at center. That's 0-for-3. Ouch. The best pick of the draft was seventh-round punter Brandon Fields, who had a great season in 2009. When a punter is your best pick, and you blow a top 10 pick, there's only one grade to give.

Grade: F

:D

:sign0098: Let's see them spin that. :P

Archived