Revis syas he could hold out without new contract- NY POST

Kentucky Jet

This is the problem with trading away quantity for quality as many times as Tanny has in a relatively short period of time. Yes, you'll get better talent... But if you only draft 4 players in a 2 year span... All four of those players are going to demand hefty salaries if they pan out... From 2006-2010, the drafted NYJ still on the team are: Revis, Harris, Gholston, Keller, Dbrick, Mangold, Clemens, Greene, Ainge, Slauson, Lowery, Wilson, Ducasse, McKnight, and Connor. Since the jury is still out on how good the last four of those will be,..That leaves us with 11 players in four drafts (06-09)... Just over 2 players a draft. Of those 11, 2 (Ainge and Slauson) have yet to start a game. Another 2 (Gholston and Clemens) have only started due to injuries/suspensions to others, not because they won the job outright. They were both mediocre at best when given starting time... So that leaves us with 7 impact players (Dbrick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Keller, Greene and I''ll call Lowery an impact player even though he really isnt) drafted in a 4 year span Of those six, two (Dbrick and Mangold) were drafted in 2006. Two more (Revis and Harris) in 2007. Those four are all now towards the end of their rookie contracts, and all four are looking for pay-days. Then in 2008, we drafted four players...All of which remain on the roster, but only two of which (Keller and Lowery) have had any sort of noteworthy impact. We drafted 3 players in 2009, and the only two that have had and will have an impact as we know thus far are Greene and Sanchez.

I know that I just wrote a chapter of a book, but the point is that Tanny had to know this was coming when he decided to trade up as many times as he did. Hopefully he finds a way to keep the core of this team together without forfeiting our future with too many bank-breaking contracts.

This is the problem with trading away quantity for quality as many times as Tanny has in a relatively short period of time. Yes, you'll get better talent... But if you only draft 4 players in a 2 year span... All four of those players are going to demand hefty salaries if they pan out... From 2006-2010, the drafted NYJ still on the team are: Revis, Harris, Gholston, Keller, Dbrick, Mangold, Clemens, Greene, Ainge, Slauson, Lowery, Wilson, Ducasse, McKnight, and Connor. Since the jury is still out on how good the last four of those will be,..That leaves us with 11 players in four drafts (06-09)... Just over 2 players a draft. Of those 11, 2 (Ainge and Slauson) have yet to start a game. Another 2 (Gholston and Clemens) have only started due to injuries/suspensions to others, not because they won the job outright. They were both mediocre at best when given starting time... So that leaves us with 7 impact players (Dbrick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Keller, Greene and I''ll call Lowery an impact player even though he really isnt) drafted in a 4 year span Of those six, two (Dbrick and Mangold) were drafted in 2006. Two more (Revis and Harris) in 2007. Those four are all now towards the end of their rookie contracts, and all four are looking for pay-days. Then in 2008, we drafted four players...All of which remain on the roster, but only two of which (Keller and Lowery) have had any sort of noteworthy impact. We drafted 3 players in 2009, and the only two that have had and will have an impact as we know thus far are Greene and Sanchez.

I know that I just wrote a chapter of a book, but the point is that Tanny had to know this was coming when he decided to trade up as many times as he did. Hopefully he finds a way to keep the core of this team together without forfeiting our future with too many bank-breaking contracts.

The Rams draft a lot of players that don't pan out...and they suck. The Raiders do the same thing except they're still expensive and don't pan out.

This is how the NFL ensures competitive balance. If a team has too much talent, they can't keep it because the players cost too much.

Except...usually...the team at least manages more than a ****ing 9-7 record and two playoff wins where they were heavy underdogs in the first place.

Why can't these jokers at least wait until the Jets win an SB, like on normal teams? Everyone's demanding a new deal and these *******s still haven't won a thing. Not even the goddamn division!

Win the SB and even if it's not the Jets, somebody will overpay you. Don't win and you can ensure that you probably will never manage one because everyone demands to get paid all the time.

If I had to choose one of the 4 to let go, I'd probably choose Harris over Ferguson. Franchise LT's are most definitely NOT easier to replace than ILB's, even if Harris is better at his job than Ferguson.

Having said that, now is not the time to be overly stingy. I see no reason why all 4 can't get locked up this offseason.

Agreed, that senario would be ideal. Sign these beasts !

Harris would be waaaaaaaaaay easier to replace than D'Brick. No one lets go of a franchise LT, especially over a LB with injury issues. Harris is our 3rd best LB now...IMO.

Not to mention D'Brick has never missed a game due to injury...or anything..because he's never missed a game.

I myself do not consider "Brick" a FRANCHISE LT . Him, never having missed a game, is a huge +.

:rl:

Find me a fan of any team who secretly or openly doesn't wish their GM was Mike Tannenbaum.

Perhaps it's nitpicking but 11 players in 4 years (2.75 per year) is not "just over 2" unless you're making a transparent attempt at making it sound like less than it is. It's a lot closer to 3 per year than 2, and in the NFL 3 impact draftees per year is significantly more than 2 per year.

Either way, it is silly to not count a backup OG like Slauson, for example, because - as you say - the jury is still out on him. If a team drafts 7 players per year and (by some miracle) 5 of them make the team every year, you are going to have backups who never see the field unless players ahead of them get injured. According to you that's ok unless it happens with the Jets.

Next, you point out that only 2 "impact" players were drafted in 2006. Apparently a pro bowler like Leon was not an impact player for us in your book. Brad Smith is not a starting WR but it's no more than your personal opinion that he is not an impact player. Teams don't tag former 4th round draft picks with 2nd round tenders, as the Jets did with Smith, if they think the player has no impact on the team. Clemens is still on the team by getting tagged. It's confusing that you don't count him. Not because he's so marvelous, but because the reality is most draft picks only pan out as backups - and that's what he is. Same with Eric Smith. Same with Stiff Coleman.

Besides, in the 2006 draft we selected 10 players. We ended up, within 2 years of the draft, with (1) Ferguson, (1) Mangold, (2) Clemens, (3) Eric Smith, (4) Brad Smith, (4) Leon, and (5) Coleman. Whether you like some players and don't like others is irrelevant; all 7 of them were on the 2009 roster. According to you, all we got to show for our 2006 draft was Ferguson and Mangold. That alone makes your argument confusing at best (and outright silly at worst) because it clearly means you value quality over quantity. This has precisely been Tannenbaum's strategy since the 2007 offseason. So in the end, you inadvertently make the case for quality over quantity and then are criticizing the Jets for (successfully) doing that very thing.

It would seem that you expect the Jets to draft 4 really good starters and 2 roster-worthy backups every year, year after year, so we have a constant, annual influx of dirt-cheap "impact" players, preventing us from needing to make big-contract decisions. Put aside how naively unrealistic that is. The reality, which you overlook, is that whether you draft 3 players who make the team or 7 players with 5 making the team, a star (or borderline star) player you draft is still going to command a giant contract when his rookie deal is up.

In other words, no matter how many players we drafted, the "impact" players you mentioned would still be in line for a new "impact" megabucks contract in the next year or so. Drafting more backup mid or late rounders doesn't create a cheaper $3M per season extension for a player like Mangold. He's going to get paid a boatload in the $8M per year range because at age 26 he's the best center in the NFL, not because the Jets didn't draft more depth players who, like Slauson and Ainge, you apparently don't count anyway.

And without trading away a 2nd rounder to move up, Darrelle Revis gets drafted by the Steelers and we probably end up drafting a "next-best" option like Chris Houston. Without trading away a 2nd rounder (and 3 clearly expendable players), we'd still have no QB.

But hey, the crappy players we'd have at those positions sure would be cheaper after their rookie contracts were up.

says the jets homer :P

i was rooting for the jets when you were not even an embryo...

dont make me come there and whip your ass. :lol:

Apparently I'm a little older than you think.

But hey, at least I didn't pull out a "you don't deserve to see the Jets win" on you. Had that one thrown my way a couple of times by people who have no recollection of the Jets pre-Testaverde.

no..i said that I am older ..thats why i was rooting for the JETS when you werent even born.. OY!

frankly there are a whole crap load of fans who dont remember the team pre-pennington :lol:

anyway.. dont go questioning my Jets fandom, young man! i was wearing green and white before you could distinguish between colors.

How's he not a franchise LT?

I don't consider him a "franchise" LT either. I think the word franchise gets tossed around here like it means good. A franchise player is one that makes the entire team. IMO there are only a handfull of franchise players in the league at any given time. Revis is at that level, but plays a position which I don't generally consider "franchise"-able. Maybe he can change my mind.

Brick is very good, but depending on the contract and what draft picks/free agent options they have he can be replaced. I don't think he anywhere near the Ogden/Pace level and those are the kinds of guys I consider franchise. Out of that group I'd certainly let Harris walk first, but he's probably cheapest so they might be better off keeping him and letting somebody else loose. I also think Leon should have been first to go ahead of Harris, even if he didn't get hurt.

R U Nuts? It's because of Revis that you can blitz all the time. Losing Revis, willingly, would be the dumbest thing the Jets could do.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting the Jets not extend Revis at some point in the near future, they absolutely should. However, if the deal doesn't get done by the beginning of training camp or even the season, Revis needs to shut his mouth, show up and play. He WILL get his deal, there is no doubt about that. But the guy has 3 years left on his rookie deal, he's not going anywhere any time soon, meanwhile his teammates like Mangold and Harris are on their last year, Brick only has 2 years left and the Jets will have to make a decision on a WR between Edwards and Holmes this year as well. Sure he's a guy the Jets need to lock-up long term, but he needs to get in line, because he's far from the only one.

I don't consider him a "franchise" LT either. I think the word franchise gets tossed around here like it means good. A franchise player is one that makes the entire team. IMO there are only a handfull of franchise players in the league at any given time. Revis is at that level, but plays a position which I don't generally consider "franchise"-able. Maybe he can change my mind.

Brick is very good, but depending on the contract and what draft picks/free agent options they have he can be replaced. I don't think he anywhere near the Ogden/Pace level and those are the kinds of guys I consider franchise. Out of that group I'd certainly let Harris walk first, but he's probably cheapest so they might be better off keeping him and letting somebody else loose. I also think Leon should have been first to go ahead of Harris, even if he didn't get hurt.

I've been thinking the same regarding the bolded above. Of the guys up for new deals, Harris is probably the most easily replaceable. I'd hate to see him go, but if somebody had to it, seems like he would make the most sense. However, as you mentioned, I also think its possible he's the one guy we may be able to get the best deal on, and probably come up with a number that most people would be pretty happy with.

no..i said that I am older ..thats why i was rooting for the JETS when you werent even born.. OY!

frankly there are a whole crap load of fans who dont remember the team pre-pennington :lol:

anyway.. dont go questioning my Jets fandom, young man! i was wearing green and white before you could distinguish between colors.

Out of curiosity, how young do you think I am?

Out of curiosity, how young do you think I am?

realizing that we only met once.. so i could be misremembering things.. but maybe early 30's?

That means she thinks you are 47 years old. For Mrs. Drummond that still means you weren't even a gleam in your daddy's eye when she started rooting for the Jets. She had season tickets at the Polo Grounds!

That means she thinks you are 47 years old. For Mrs. Drummond that still means you weren't even a gleam in your daddy's eye when she started rooting for the Jets. She had season tickets at the Polo Grounds!

i had season tixs ten years before the Jets were even in existence.. LOL! Leon Hess and I use to party together at the cotton club

realizing that we only met once.. so i could be misremembering things.. but maybe early 30's?

You're off by almost a decade. I'm 40.

And if you're misremembering things from when we met it's understandable. Many women tend to idealize that event. I assure you I am just one man. You will find another someday. Maybe he won't be me but 2nd-best is still very, very good.

You're off by almost a decade. I'm 40.

And if you're misremembering things from when we met it's understandable. Many women tend to idealize that event. I assure you I am just one man. You will find another someday. Maybe he won't be me but 2nd-best is still very, very good.

OY! that part must about me idealizing you have been in your dreams... maybe it is your inexperience that made me believe you were younger.

Revis is the best CB in the league..got it. WHY does Revis need to go and spout off and start making noise about it to the media? I'm sure Tanny understands Darrelle's value. Remember he held out with his rookie contract also. The Jets are a victim of Tanny and Mangini's draft success. They picked great ones who all want to get paid..tough to pay them all. Revis needs to quiet down and let his agent and Tannenbaum do what they do. When they redo DR's contract thats a slippery slope your going down now.

Jets fans need to stop. They guy deserves to be paid, period. He needs to be paid before anyone on this team. He's our best player and arguably the best defensive player in the league. He's supposed to make a lot more than 1 Million.

Jets fans need to stop. They guy deserves to be paid, period. He needs to be paid before anyone on this team. He's our best player and arguably the best defensive player in the league. He's supposed to make a lot more than 1 Million.

Stop what? The Jets don't seem to have any issues with extending him. They are merely being responsible and want to see what the cap limit is going to be prior to signing multiple players to big deals.

The reality is he's on the team, under contract. He signed a 6 year contract and has completed 3 years of that contract. He cannot get out of his contract until after the 2012 season has ended, unless the Jets are willing to redo his deal, which they are.

There is no issue with paying Revis and paying him handsomely, and fans understandably don't like it when any player with 3 years remaining on his contract tries to conduct negotiations and apply pressure through the media. You are bitching about nothing. The only issue is any responsible team GM would like to know what the spending limit is before drawing up papers that dictate how much they'll be spending, particularly on mega-deals like Revis is going to get.

Fans like you chimed in with the same "just pay the man" stuff with Leon. Glad Tannenbaum held back now because we'd have been on the hook for $6-7M per season for Leon if the "just pay him" fans got their way.

We have not yet lost any irreplaceable players over money - players we really wanted to keep and were worth their money demands - under Tannenbaum's watch. I wouldn't even count Kendall. They lost him over principle, not money, as the Jets clearly had an extra $1M of cap room to extend him.

What if there is a new CBA reached and it throws the 30% and 50% rules out the window? If that's the case, Tannenbaum would have proven to be a fool to get this done now. Without these rules we'd be able to frontload a new deal for Revis in the uncapped 2010 season. So I'm ok with waiting for the time being here in mid-May.

I'm sorry, but you can't look at NFL contracts in a single year vacuum. The guy made a lot more than he was worth his first year in the league, but he's not about to pay a cent of that back. Right now he's still earning not only his current money, but all of the money paid out up front to him from the moment he was drafted. Don't get me wrong, I love Revis and he SHOULD get a new big contract... eventually. If they get it done soon then great, if not he needs to shut his mouth and play. This isn't a guy going into the last year of his deal, he's played HALF of his contract to date. He has THREE years left. Frankly, whether he likes it or not he isn't going anywhere whether or not he gets his new contract, but guys like Mangold, Harris, Cromartie, Edwards and Holmes all having expiring contracts, so any of those guys the Jets feel they need to keep have to be the priority. Revis will get his money, he just needs to be patient and wait his turn.

Revis signed his rookie contract (6 years) with the expectation that it would be re-negotiated before its expiration.

As one of the "core" players, the team will want to keep him (lock him up to another multi-year deal). If teams can routinely void players contracts and waive those players, then players should also be able to have some leverage in the matter. I am not saying that teams have to cave in to all player demands contract-wise, just that it might make sense with true "core" players. Darrelle Revis, I believe, fits this description.

Anyway, a deal WILL get done, so it isn't anything to worry about.

Revis signed his rookie contract (6 years) with the expectation that it would be re-negotiated before its expiration.

As one of the "core" players, the team will want to keep him (lock him up to another multi-year deal). If teams can routinely void players contracts and waive those players, then players should also be able to have some leverage in the matter. I am not saying that teams have to cave in to all player demands contract-wise, just that it might make sense with true "core" players. Darrelle Revis, I believe, fits this description.

Revis already IS locked up for the 3 upcoming seasons. You say this like he's about to become a free agent after the season's over.

You want to lock someone up long-term, well what's the point if you're just going to void it out anyway after only 3 seasons?

Have no problem extending Revis as he isn't the type of player you simply replace with someone else. But the Jets are hardly under the gun to do this now, before we even know what the future salary cap limits are going to be.

I'll give you that he's worth more than $1M per year. Is he worth more than $7M per year? That's what he'll be getting for the last two if the Jets exercise his buy-back. I think all the renegotiation talk is about dividing some of that money around so that he's locked up longer, but gets some more of that money up front.

Archived