Seeing stars leave? Which player is imperative to resign?

Kentucky Jet

New York Jets: Seeing Stars, Leave?

by David Barton Contributor Written on May 18, 2010 Vote Now! - Author Poll

Which player is most imperative to resign?

Darrelle Revis David Harris Nick Mangold D'Brickashaw Ferguson Edwards/Holmes Have you ever been to the super market, taken a ticket, and waited in line for what seems to be in eternity?

In 2011, the Jets will have seven unrestricted free agents and 17 restricted free agents. Add to that All-Pro corner, Darrelle Revis wants to restructure his contract which expires in 2013, most likely wanting to become the highest-paid player at his position. Revis is only scheduled to only make $1 million this season.

You don't have to be Adam Schefter to figure out that (UFA) Nick Mangold and (RFA) David Harris are the two primary players that are imperative to re-sign. Both have stated that they would like new contracts before the season starts. Neither player has thrown a tantrum or acted in a unprofessional manner to get what they want (deserve). Both players saw what happened to Leon Washington, and how important it is to restructure your contract before the season starts.

Some other marquee players that will become free agents after the 2010 season are:

Shaun Ellis (UFA)

Brodney Pool (UFA)

Braylon Edwards (UFA)

Antonio Cromartie (RFA)

Santonio Holmes (RFA)

Kellen Clemens (RFA)

Okay now back to Mangold & Harris, being a Wolverine fan of course I want to get David Harris first.

Harris is a quiet voice on a team that features some large personalities, he usually lets his play do the talking. If you ask most Jet fans who is their defensive play caller on the field they would say Bart Scott, wrong, David Harris calls the plays orchestrating where everybody lines up. He is only 26 and will only get better, maturing in Rex Kwan-do's defense.

This offseason, fellow line backers Demeco Ryans (Texans) and Patrick Willis (49ers) signed lucrative extensions with their teams. Harris' base salary in 2010 will be a paltry, $550,000. For such a great player he is not getting paid like one, Harris is a versatile player who can play a 4-3 and 3-4, could become a very rich man elsewhere.

Since the departure of veteran guard Alan Faneca, All-Pro center Nick Mangold will be the leader of the Jets o-line this season. New York should regard Mangold, as the All-Pro he is. The team is no stranger to emphasizing and rewarding the offensive line, using first-round draft picks on tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold in the 2006 draft.

In '08 Alan Faneca signed a free-agent contract $21 million in guarantees. With their second round choice draft the Jets drafted UMass guard Vladimir Ducasse, who is likely Faneca's replacement. Mangold, who is entering the final year of his five-year rookie deal, could command something close to the seven-year, $56 million contract Saints guard Jahari Evans recently inked. St. Louis Rams center, Jason Brown also was given a new extension, $37.5 million deal that had $20 million guaranteed.

Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes contract situation seems simple right, whoever plays better gets rewarded.

What happens if both have stellar years?

What if both fail in meeting expectations and Dustin Keller has a monster year? Then who do you sign?

What if father of the year, Antonio Cromartie regains form and actually tackles this season? Does he take precedent over Shaun Ellis or even one of the wide receivers?

The Jets have done nothing wrong, and have fallen victim to having a very talented young team with many players deserving of a new contract. And oh yeah, left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson's contract is up in 2012, along with Rex Ryan's disciple, strong safety Jim Leonhard.

The casual fan might think, it's an uncapped year, let's lock them all up to long-term deals. Well it's not that easy, doesn't work that way either.

A possible work stoppage in 2011, and the collective bargaining agreement rules that could change are hampering the team on dispensing long-term extensions. The biggest problem is that 30 percent rule. In the uncapped year base salaries can only grow 30 percent from one year to the next in a renegotiation.

The way around this rule is to give a copious amount of guaranteed dollars in the signing bonus. Although the possibility of a work stoppage is keeping teams on the fence, in regards to rewarding players with guaranteed money in such an uncertain market.

All in all I think the Jets are poised for a serious Super Bowl run in 2010. With that said, I don't envy any individual in the Jets front office.

In the supermarket, if they don't have what I need or take forever, I go elsewhere. I wonder how many of the 24 free agents in the big apple do the same.

yeah, they won't be able to keep all of those players. I'd say Clemens is going to be gone. I also see Edwards being probably gone. If Holmes does well then Edwards is gone.

While I personally like Holmes better than Edwards, just the idea of doling out money to someone who's one strike for a .5 - 1 season suspension rubs me the wrong way. Seasons being equal, I think I'd rather go with Braylon.

With one ring and another potential this year, I can see Holmes just bolting for the most money.

Clemens won't be on the roster this year. Jets'll probably hold onto him hoping to get a late pick from someone who loses a QB in training camp, but he'll eventually be cut. Ellis will be allowed to walk when his contract expires.

Pool is the one guy who can play his way into a contract - meaning that I think he'll be reasonably priced.

Holmes and Edwards are in a competition, both on and off the field. Can't imagine the Jets being able to afford both. Neither can afford a drop or an "incident."

Cromartie's probably gotta hold off Wilson as the team's #2 CB to stick, unless the team is really concerned about resigning Revis. Let's hope that's not a real concern.

Jets could have a couple extra third round picks in 2012.

Clemens won't be on the roster this year. Jets'll probably hold onto him hoping to get a late pick from someone who loses a QB in training camp, but he'll eventually be cut. Ellis will be allowed to walk when his contract expires.

Pool is the one guy who can play his way into a contract - meaning that I think he'll be reasonably priced.

Holmes and Edwards are in a competition, both on and off the field. Can't imagine the Jets being able to afford both. Neither can afford a drop or an "incident."

Cromartie's probably gotta hold off Wilson as the team's #2 CB to stick, unless the team is really concerned about resigning Revis. Let's hope that's not a real concern.

Jets could have a couple extra third round picks in 2012.

WHOOPEE !! The one guy, IMHO, that is the easiest to replace.

Santonio Holmes is younger, more proven, more consistent and just overall better than Braylon Edwards. He does everything, much more versatile and would be an excellent compliment to JC.

If it comes down to it I would be STUNNED if Santo isn't the choice.

Santonio Holmes is younger, more proven, more consistent and just overall better than Braylon Edwards. He does everything, much more versatile and would be an excellent compliment to JC.

Will you buy his jersey?

Seriously, what determines who is an UFA/RFA? If Holmes will be restricted he'll be tendered at some level. I thought the rules for next year weren't in place yet.

Seriously, what determines who is an UFA/RFA?

The CBA. I don't know why anybody still thinks the uncapped year free agency rules are going to apply next year. There's no point in saying that Holmes is going to be a RFA next year even though that's technically the status quo because it's not going to be true by the time the next league year starts. Either there's a labor agreement that brings back some semblance of the normal rules (four years of service for unrestricted) or there's a lockout.

I really hope this isn't in any particular order, because that's disgusting if it is!

It should be: Revis, Mangold, Harris, D'Brick, Edwards/cromartie

1. Ferguson

2. Revis

3. Holmes, if at all

4. Mangold

5. Harris

6. Edwards, if not Holmes

7. Cromartie

The CBA. I don't know why anybody still thinks the uncapped year free agency rules are going to apply next year. There's no point in saying that Holmes is going to be a RFA next year even though that's technically the status quo because it's not going to be true by the time the next league year starts. Either there's a labor agreement that brings back some semblance of the normal rules (four years of service for unrestricted) or there's a lockout.

This.

There's gonna be football in 2011, too.

1) Ferguson

2) Revis----Unless he is going to play hard ball. Would be a mistake, he still has 3 years on his contract

3) mangold--His contract is due now

4) Edwards, if he has a good season

5) Cromartie

6) Harris-- Good player, but ILB'er are replaceabl

7) Holms--unless Edwards stink

1. Ferguson

2. Revis

3. Holmes, if at all

4. Mangold

5. Harris

6. Edwards, if not Holmes

7. Cromartie

Pretty much.

He's our LT and damn good one at that...we need to protect the kid.

I'd probably slide Holmes down and put Mangold and Harris over him, but thats just how I like to shape my teams.

That's easier to say since he just had his best season rather than 2 years ago like Edwards.

I think Edwards is better in the run game, and I don't think it's a good thing when the Steelers let someone young go. Steelers guys are almost never as good away from that organization...

So yea, I'd be stunned if Edwards got outplayed by Holmes this year. He's already had more time in the offense, he does more for our run game, and he's got top of the line talent...I usually root for my fellow potheads, but I think Edwards will handle NYC way better than Holmes...he already has really.

I'd be stunned if Edwards got outplayed by Holmes this year.

You're out of your mind. Holmes can catch, has elite speed, and runs Reggie Wayne routes. Edwards blocks good. If we don't retain Holmes it will be for reasons having little to do with football and less to do with Edwards.

You're out of your mind. Holmes can catch, has elite speed, and runs Reggie Wayne routes. Edwards blocks good. If we don't retain Holmes it will be for reasons having little to do with football and less to do with Edwards.

I think Holmes' off the field stuff is definitely a factor...It's not as if Edwards is actually a bad WR himself.

I'm buying low on Edwards while it's possible...I'll be stunned if he isn't our #1 WR this year.

I think Holmes' off the field stuff is definitely a factor...

Yes, it is.

It's not as if Edwards is actually a bad WR himself.

Yes, it is.

I'm buying low on Edwards while it's possible...

Meaning right now? Either Holmes works out and Edwards is gone or Holmes doesn't work out and Edwards costs.

Yes, it is.

Yes, it is.

Meaning right now? Either Holmes works out and Edwards is gone or Holmes doesn't work out and Edwards costs.

Oh, that Edwards as a Jet will >> Holmes as a Jet.

No, really it means nothing. I'm just establishing a lame bias between players so that I can be right in the future. The future...whoooooooa.

Oh, that Edwards as a Jet will >> Holmes as a Jet.

No, really it means nothing. I'm just establishing a lame bias between players so that I can be right in the future. The future...whoooooooa.

In English, please.

Archived