Tomlinson's Getting His Groove Back as a Jet

Bruce Banner

If we had traded for LT last year we might have won da supa bowl.

I honestly don't think so. Our running game with TJ and Greene did a fine job. Can't see how LT would have made for much of a difference.

Tomlinson feels good, learning Jets' offense

By DENNIS WASZAK Jr. | Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:10 pm | (0) Comments

LaDainian Tomlinson says he's feeling good physically and is becoming more comfortable with the terminology used by the New York Jets' offense.

The eighth-leading rusher in NFL history says Thursday that the toughest part for him since being signed by the Jets in March has been getting the terms and nuances of the offense down.

Tomlinson, 31 next month, says a big positive has been that the style of offense the Jets run is close to that which he was a part of for nine seasons in San Diego.

Coach Rex Ryan says Tomlinson has been impressive during practices this offseason, showing the ability to make multiple cuts and showing "that wiggle." Ryan also believes Tomlinson can be a major contributor this season.

I honestly don't think so. Our running game with TJ and Greene did a fine job. Can't see how LT would have made for much of a difference.

When Greene got injured vs. the Colts in the AFC Championship, LT would have easily out-performed TJ and that game could have ended a completely different way.

Almost every move the Jets made in this off-season was to correct shortcomings that came to light in the AFC Championship.

Depth at corner? Check.

A more versatile backfield, with players that don't go down on first contact?Check.

Pass rushers that can get to the QB without blitzing? Check.

Receivers that can stretch the field when we have to play catch-up? Check.

There are times when I read his age, 30, and I am shocked. So much has been made about how done he is I really expect to read that he is 34 or something like that.

The Jets are looking for him to be the 2nd back on this team. Great signing imo.

My biggest concern with Tomlinson is his pouting potential. There have already been rumblings from the Jets that LT and SG will be sharing backfield duties 50/50, and I really don't think that's the way it should be. I really expect more of a 60/40 in favor of Greene. Can Tomlinson deal with that? Can he even deal with 50/50? Especially if Shonn Greene is listed as the starter every week?

If LT can accept his role as a third-down/goal-line/change-of-pace RB, then I think he'll really surprise some people with his production this year. If he's pouting while Greene's having his named called over the PA, we could have problems.

In their primes, LT was head and shoulders better than TJ....not even close. LT is a year younger, appears quicker, has better hands, has better "make you miss" moves than TJ has ever had or still has. There is no doubt in my mind that signing LT and letting TJ go is a major upgrade for this team. I can't remember too many runs during TJ's time where he made more out of the run than he should have. LT is going to hit those same holes and use his elusiveness to milk for yards out of each run than TJ could ever fathom of doing. I can't wait.

TJ was a good back, and I can remember many times he got more out of a hole than most backs would have.

Tomlinson, of course, was one of the best of all time. Though he was signed to essentially take Leon Washington's place, if he has a return to his old form he's going to take over the starting role. However, the plan right now is Shon Greene the starter, Tomlinson the third down back.

TJ was a good back, and I can remember many times he got more out of a hole than most backs would have.

Tomlinson, of course, was one of the best of all time. Though he was signed to essentially take Leon Washington's place, if he has a return to his old form he's going to take over the starting role. However, the plan right now is Shon Greene the starter, Tomlinson the third down back.

idk that they really have a strict plan right now as far as LT and greene go. i think you'll see LT in on alot of 3rd downs though. bu i wouldnt be surprised to see LT getting a whole series and then green getting a whole series. or even seeing them switch out after a first down or 2 on a long drive. if LT still has something it's going to be a fun seaosn watching these guys run behind this line....and with our amazing receicing corps it's going to be tough to stop this offense as long as sanchez has gotten better. i dont even have to say anythign baout the defense....as its already superbowl caliber

When Greene got injured vs. the Colts in the AFC Championship, LT would have easily out-performed TJ and that game could have ended a completely different way.

I don't see how you can say this. Perhaps it was because LT was well rested by having run for only half the yardage TJ did during the season ? :P How'd LT do against us in our playoff game ? We'll NEVER know how LT would have done in that AFC Championship game.

In their primes, LT was head and shoulders better than TJ....not even close. LT is a year younger, appears quicker, has better hands, has better "make you miss" moves than TJ has ever had or still has. There is no doubt in my mind that signing LT and letting TJ go is a major upgrade for this team. I can't remember too many runs during TJ's time where he made more out of the run than he should have. LT is going to hit those same holes and use his elusiveness to milk for yards out of each run than TJ could ever fathom of doing. I can't wait.

Oh like those 60+ yard TD runs TJ pulled off just last year ? ;)

Doubt it. LT is a known ***** that never shows up in the playoffs.

My biggest concern with Tomlinson is his pouting potential. There have already been rumblings from the Jets that LT and SG will be sharing backfield duties 50/50, and I really don't think that's the way it should be. I really expect more of a 60/40 in favor of Greene. Can Tomlinson deal with that? Can he even deal with 50/50? Especially if Shonn Greene is listed as the starter every week?

If LT can accept his role as a third-down/goal-line/change-of-pace RB, then I think he'll really surprise some people with his production this year. If he's pouting while Greene's having his named called over the PA, we could have problems.

Slats look at the Saints . They usually go with the hot hand in any given game. I see no reason the Jets backs wont respect the hot hand. Tomlinson saw Greens production in the playoffs and he had to know the situation coming in. Greene ran down the chargers throats. I think it will be fine and our backs will make it work. The more weapons we have the better PLUS Tomlinson has to know this will extend his career into his mid 30's if he plays more of the thrid down role since he is great at picking up the blitz and catching balls out of the back field.

Oh like those 60+ yard TD runs TJ pulled off just last year ? ;)

The 60 + yard runs going through holes the Chargers O-Line could not dream of opening

LT might be the best goaline back in the history of the NFL it takes smarts down there as well as brawn and LT has both power and finesse. TJ is not even in the same league at the goaline in comparison to LT.

I honestly don

Archived