Kris Jenkins considered retiring

Jetfan13

You dont have to game plan for Revis?

Wow.

Yeah, Jenkins gives headaches....too bad he's not on the field. Walking wounded need not apply.

Jenkins isnt impossible to block. The Dolphins had the guy sucking wind and getting blown off the ball Week 5.

I was there-I saw it first hand-wasn't a pretty sight

Wow.

Yeah, Jenkins gives headaches....too bad he's not on the field. Walking wounded need not apply.

I'm no OC...but how do you game plan for a guy that all he is going to do is guard 1 player the entire game? Just doesnt seem like it takes a lot of strategy to game plan against that...you know exactly where he is going to be on every single offensive snap.

Jenkins on the other hand, is moved around the LOS, commands double teams and creates the room for our LB's to blitz, not to mention he's 365lbs and literally beats Centers off the line with one swat of the arm.

Wow.

Jenkins isnt impossible to block. The Dolphins had the guy sucking wind and getting blown off the ball Week 5.

I was there also, and the 100 degree heat on the floor of the stadium had a lot more affect on the 370 pound man then any of the Fish did.

I never said Pouha was better than Jenkins. I just dont need the Jenkins week to week side show regarding his health.

If that's going to be the case(like I expect) I wish he had just reitired.

You wish he'd retire because you don't like to hear of his nagging injuries?

Sounds more like your problem than his. Don't read the paper or come here then.

I'd much rather have Jenkins on the field then you whining about his injuries. It goes both ways.

You wish he'd retire because you don't like to hear of his nagging injuries?

Sounds more like your problem than his. Don't read the paper or come here then.

I'd much rather have Jenkins on the field then you whining about his injuries. It goes both ways.

Like Parcells says...when a player is thinking about retiring he pretty much is.

And If you dont want to see my opinion feel free to block me.

he HAS a bad back too Dom-look, I love the guy but let's face the facts he's almost done-especially now with this retirement talk starting up-he knows it too. He won't last till December-mark my words

I know he has back issues. That's my point. The guy didn't miss much time because of them. This wasn't a nagging thing. I'll mark your word, Jimmy, but I disagree. I think we'll all be singing his praises come December and thinking what might have been if he were there against the Colts.

I'd have to say Sione Pohau was the most improved player I saw last year on the Jets. Remember him getting turned completely around while trying to play the position in Mangini's defense? He looked pitiful. I really hope Jenkins can be a 16+ game starter for us this year-i like him a lot as a player and as a person/character ON this team.

I'm not so sure that Pouha was so improved. He may have been one of the guys that most benefitted from Rex putting guys in position to succeed. I thought he sucked too and was shocked when they extended him. He wasn't cutting it in Mangini's scheme, but that doesn't mean he can't play.

Like Parcells says...when a player is thinking about retiring he pretty much is.

And If you dont want to see my opinion feel free to block me.

Parcells has been spouting that line of crap forever while he jumped from team to team citing his need to "retire and get away from the game". As Bruce Banner pointed out, Jenkins has squawked about retiring before, even when he was with Carolina. He seemed to do all right with the Jets. It may just be the way he talks, the way Revis is always talking about holding out. As long as they show up on Sundays, I don't really care.

what position is a bigger need than NT, then? team doesn't have many holes. i guess reasonable minds could say we need a PK or maybe a safety more but this isn't the browns we're talking about. a NT of the future is definitely a top 3 or 4 need.

Jenkins is under contract through 2012.

Pouha is under contract through 2011.

As of today, NT is not the biggest need. It's not even a top 3 or 4 need for the 2011 season. I'm not even convinced it's a top-10 need for 2011.

In no particular order (just the order I thought of them):

1) OLB

Past this season Thomas/Taylor's OLB spot is a far bigger hole than the two NT's we will still have under contract next year. Taylor gets some sacks and he's due a $10M bonus the Jets will never pay. Thomas (already rumored to have been on the trading or chopping block this past offseason) will have 1 year remaining at between $3.7M and $4.95M depending on his escalator. While it's possible both return for 2011, it's less likely than both Jenkins and Pouha returning for 2011.

2) DE

Ellis is entering the last season of his deal and behind him we don't have anyone who's seen 1% of the game action our current backup NT has. DeVito is slotted as the starter this season and while I think he'll do well we have no idea how he'll hold up over a full season or if he'll be any good getting the majority of the snaps for 16+ games. Gholston may work out but is there a bigger question-mark on the team? If there is, one might count Kevin Basped among them. It is beyond silly to argue that the DE's under contract for 2011 constitute less of a need than Jenkins/Pouha.

3) CB

After this season we will also likely need a nickel CB (or backup starting CB). While not impossible, (unless Wilson looks like a bust) the odds of the Jets re-signing Cromartie are not good. If he turns his career around and is better than he ever was before (quite possible), he may price himself out of a Jets uniform with Wilson a dirt-cheap option and under contract for 4 more years. If he isn't all that, the Jets aren't likely to offer him a long-term deal either. So if we replace Cromartie with Wilson, who else does that leave? Nobody.

4) WR

As rich as we seem at WR now, we'll be down by 1 or 2 of them next year (probably 1). It is extraordinarily unlikely that the Jets re-sign both Edwards and Holmes. Who's next on the depth chart? Brad Smith? David Clowney? Aundrae Allison? Marcus Henry? Please. None of them are legit slot WR's and frankly none are under contract after this season is over anyway. Here is the list of Jets WR's under contract for 2011: Jerricho Cotchery, Jeff Cumberland. End of list.

5) Backup QB (actually, backup QBs)

How do you like the idea of Mark Brunell backing up Sanchez this year? You think you'll like it any better in 2011 when he's 41 years old? Didn't think so. If Ainge or O'Connell are here this season then maybe one might stick around to be the #3 QB in 2011. Maybe. I discount #3 QB as a discussion-worthy need in any season, though, because no team that needs to use their #3 QB is going to do anything worth watching.

6) ILB

If Harris has another solid season he could (or will) command a Scott-like $8M contract as a free agent. Don't see the Jets matching that number with so much money thrown at so many other positions (including already having one $8M per year ILB) and so many others needed to re-sign. Would be very sad to see him go but assuming there is a season and a salary cap next year I don't see how he fits no matter what lip service Tannenbaum is giving as to a desire to keep all of the "big 4" Jets-drafted players. If it comes down to having cap space for re-signing either a true #1 WR (Edwards or Holmes) or a #2 ILB (Harris), the choice is obvious no matter how much one likes the latter better. So we won't just need ILB depth; we'll need a starter.

7) PK

Who knows? Folk isn't a sure think to make it through camp, let alone through next year's camp.

8) P

Weatherford is fast. Really fast. This ends the list of his positive attributes displayed to date.

9) Safety

If Pool works out, that's awesome. What's not awesome is that he's not under contract for 2011. Eric Smith is not under contract for 2011. Ihedigblows is not under contract for 2011. Jim Leonhard IS under contract next year but not past 2011 (nor is Dwight Lowery, assuming he works out at safety).

10) Leave the space open for any other position that might create a hole due to injury or awful play during the 2010 season. How high up the need-list will RB go if Greene misses half a season due to injury, Tomlinson has shown that without ST contributions he isn't worth a roster spot at age 32, and McKnight spends more time vomiting off the field than playing on it? Hopefully addressing a position like this (or our TE depth) isn't needed. But it can't be known at this date as being automatically less of a need than NT with our #1 and #2 currently healthy and signed for the 2 upcoming seasons.

Jenkins is under contract through 2012.

Pouha is under contract through 2011.

As of today, NT is not the biggest need. It's not even a top 3 or 4 need for the 2011 season. I'm not even convinced it's a top-10 need for 2011.

In no particular order (just the order I thought of them):

1) OLB

Past this season Thomas/Taylor's OLB spot is a far bigger hole than the two NT's we will still have under contract next year. Taylor gets some sacks and he's due a $10M bonus the Jets will never pay. Thomas (already rumored to have been on the trading or chopping block this past offseason) will have 1 year remaining at between $3.7M and $4.95M depending on his escalator. While it's possible both return for 2011, it's less likely than both Jenkins and Pouha returning for 2011.

2) DE

Ellis is entering the last season of his deal and behind him we don't have anyone who's seen 1% of the game action our current backup NT has. DeVito is slotted as the starter this season and while I think he'll do well we have no idea how he'll hold up over a full season or if he'll be any good getting the majority of the snaps for 16+ games. Gholston may work out but is there a bigger question-mark on the team? If there is, one might count Kevin Basped among them. It is beyond silly to argue that the DE's under contract for 2011 constitute less of a need than Jenkins/Pouha.

3) CB

After this season we will also likely need a nickel CB (or backup starting CB). While not impossible, (unless Wilson looks like a bust) the odds of the Jets re-signing Cromartie are not good. If he turns his career around and is better than he ever was before (quite possible), he may price himself out of a Jets uniform with Wilson a dirt-cheap option and under contract for 4 more years. If he isn't all that, the Jets aren't likely to offer him a long-term deal either. So if we replace Cromartie with Wilson, who else does that leave? Nobody.

4) WR

As rich as we seem at WR now, we'll be down by 1 or 2 of them next year (probably 1). It is extraordinarily unlikely that the Jets re-sign both Edwards and Holmes. Who's next on the depth chart? Brad Smith? David Clowney? Aundrae Allison? Marcus Henry? Please. None of them are legit slot WR's and frankly none are under contract after this season is over anyway. Here is the list of Jets WR's under contract for 2011: Jerricho Cotchery, Jeff Cumberland. End of list.

5) Backup QB (actually, backup QBs)

How do you like the idea of Mark Brunell backing up Sanchez this year? You think you'll like it any better in 2011 when he's 41 years old? Didn't think so. If Ainge or O'Connell are here this season then maybe one might stick around to be the #3 QB in 2011. Maybe. I discount #3 QB as a discussion-worthy need in any season, though, because no team that needs to use their #3 QB is going to do anything worth watching.

6) ILB

If Harris has another solid season he could (or will) command a Scott-like $8M contract as a free agent. Don't see the Jets matching that number with so much money thrown at so many other positions (including already having one $8M per year ILB) and so many others needed to re-sign. Would be very sad to see him go but assuming there is a season and a salary cap next year I don't see how he fits no matter what lip service Tannenbaum is giving as to a desire to keep all of the "big 4" Jets-drafted players. If it comes down to having cap space for re-signing either a true #1 WR (Edwards or Holmes) or a #2 ILB (Harris), the choice is obvious no matter how much one likes the latter better. So we won't just need ILB depth; we'll need a starter.

7) PK

Who knows? Folk isn't a sure think to make it through camp, let alone through next year's camp.

8) P

Weatherford is fast. Really fast. This ends the list of his positive attributes displayed to date.

9) Safety

If Pool works out, that's awesome. What's not awesome is that he's not under contract for 2011. Eric Smith is not under contract for 2011. Ihedigblows is not under contract for 2011. Jim Leonhard IS under contract next year but not past 2011 (nor is Dwight Lowery, assuming he works out at safety).

10) Leave the space open for any other position that might create a hole due to injury or awful play during the 2010 season. How high up the need-list will RB go if Greene misses half a season due to injury, Tomlinson has shown that without ST contributions he isn't worth a roster spot at age 32, and McKnight spends more time vomiting off the field than playing on it? Hopefully addressing a position like this (or our TE depth) isn't needed. But it can't be known at this date as being automatically less of a need than NT with our #1 and #2 currently healthy and signed for the 2 upcoming seasons.

disagree wholeheartedly. rex's scheme thrives on creating a 9 on 7, which requires a shutdown corner and a NT occupying two blockers (taking the QB out of the equation b/c there are very few QBs that are true running threats in the league). do we need an "elite" NT? maybe not but we absolutely need one that forces two blockers to stay home. jekins has a foot out the door and pouha is a serviceable JAG who is 31. we need a succession plan.

not to mention true NTs are one of the more rare players - men that large and athletic don't grow on trees. coupled with the fact that many teams are switching to 3-4 schemes which puts a lot of demand on true NTs, this means when there is an opportunity to get a true NT and you need a replacement within the next 2-3 years, you take it.

Never heard of this guy. FAs sitting home right now are generally nothing but fodder, but the guy is intriguing. He was in the Shrine game, I wonder if Bit or any of the other draft guys has notes on him. He was a JuCo guy that got a scholarship to Arizona State in

Archived