Kris Jenkins considered retiring

Jetfan13

He's said things like this before.

When he signed with the Jets he said he disliked the Panthers so much he thought about retiring.

When they got Rex Ryan he said if Mangini had stayed he might have retired because of Mangini's scheme, not his personality.

Now he's saying it again. Every year is the last year for Jenkins.

Well, I hope he's totally focused on playing football and not to remind everyone what some one time HC of the Jets said..."If you're thinking about retiring, you already have..." or something like that.

I remember that fat bastard. He never mentioned retiring himself. He never walked out on a job so that he could "retire". :rolleyes:

i thought he was probably gone. glad he's not but faba is right - we need a succession plan. NT is currently our biggest position of need; hopefully jenk plays one more year and can tutor a kid we bring in next draft.

When I first read this all I could think about was what Parcells once said. The way I'm looking at it is this: every single snap we get out of Jenkins until he gets hurt again this year is a bonus. I have zero faith in his ability to make it to December anyway. Sione will once again be a big part of the defense-Jenkins? Not so much. It's not about his ability it's about that he's done.

i thought he was probably gone. glad he's not but faba is right - we need a succession plan. NT is currently our biggest position of need; hopefully jenk plays one more year and can tutor a kid we bring in next draft.

When I first read this all I could think about was what Parcells once said. The way I'm looking at it is this: every single snap we get out of Jenkins until he gets hurt again this year is a bonus. I have zero faith in his ability to make it to December anyway. Sione will once again be a big part of the defense-Jenkins? Not so much. It's not about his ability it's about that he's done.

I am going on record as saying that I highly disagree with both of these posts.

Backup NT isn't such a big need considering that the team had the #1 D in the league without Jenkins in '09. This isn't the BB/Mangini 3-4 that folds up and dies when the man in the middle doesn't take on all 3 interior linemen. Rex can and will mix and match gaps control and I think we'll be fine with or without Jenkins.

I also think that Jenkins will be a huge part of the defense and will play very well. He hasn't missed that many games in his career to think he's going to fall apart. I'm sure they will spell him to keep him fresh and keep his back healthy, but I expect him to be a huge part of the team and I think he'll be seeing big minutes come playoff time and/or during the end of the season push.

I also think that Jenkins will be a huge part of the defense and will play very well. He hasn't missed that many games in his career to think he's going to fall apart. I'm sure they will spell him to keep him fresh and keep his back healthy, but I expect him to be a huge part of the team and I think he'll be seeing big minutes come playoff time and/or during the end of the season push.

I guess you missed that Buffalo game last year

I guess you missed that Buffalo game last year

He blew his knee out. He's not the first player to do that. Most come back and don't miss any further time over it. I guess that Brady is a ***** and the Pats shouldn't count on him. Jenkins missed one game in the three years prior to last. I'd be much more concerned if he missed games over his back or groin. Something that is/would be a chronic problem.

I am going on record as saying that I highly disagree with both of these posts.

Backup NT isn't such a big need considering that the team had the #1 D in the league without Jenkins in '09. This isn't the BB/Mangini 3-4 that folds up and dies when the man in the middle doesn't take on all 3 interior linemen. Rex can and will mix and match gaps control and I think we'll be fine with or without Jenkins.

what position is a bigger need than NT, then? team doesn't have many holes. i guess reasonable minds could say we need a PK or maybe a safety more but this isn't the browns we're talking about. a NT of the future is definitely a top 3 or 4 need.

He should have retired. He'll be hurt by week 3 anyways.

Jenkins is probably the most overated player on the team. He's really a luxury at this point.

when you are making a championship run there is no such thing as a luxury starter

when you are making a championship run there is no such thing as a luxury starter

I dont expect him to be playing by the time the Jets are ready to make a run this season.

If Jenkins stays healthy, great. But I dont want to hear after 3 days of training camp that Jenkins ____ is hurting him. The defense arguably was better after he got hurt.

That's why I conside rhim a luxury- I dont consider him a reliable player. If he;s there, awesome....but chances are he wont be. Sort of like how Abraham was for us.

He blew his knee out. He's not the first player to do that. Most come back and don't miss any further time over it. I guess that Brady is a ***** and the Pats shouldn't count on him. Jenkins missed one game in the three years prior to last. I'd be much more concerned if he missed games over his back or groin. Something that is/would be a chronic problem.

he HAS a bad back too Dom-look, I love the guy but let's face the facts he's almost done-especially now with this retirement talk starting up-he knows it too. He won't last till December-mark my words

I dont expect him to be playing by the time the Jets are ready to make a run this season.

If Jenkins stays healthy, great. But I dont want to hear after 3 days of training camp that Jenkins ____ is hurting him. The defense arguably was better after he got hurt.

That's why I conside rhim a luxury- I dont consider him a relaible player.

defense got better as it learned more about playing in a new coach's scheme. you'd have to be a true homer to think pouha is a better option at NT than jenkins.

That's why I conside rhim a luxury- I dont consider him a reliable player. If he;s there, awesome....but chances are he wont be.

he'll be spending more time on the sideline bike this summer than on the field-like always

defense got better as it learned more about playing in a new coach's scheme. you'd have to be a true homer to think pouha is a better option at NT than jenkins.

I never said Pouha was better than Jenkins. I just dont need the Jenkins week to week side show regarding his health.

If that's going to be the case(like I expect) I wish he had just reitired.

I never said Pouha was better than Jenkins. I just dont need the Jenkins week to week side show regarding his health.

If that's going to be the case(like I expect) I wish he had just reitired.

don't think it'll be a sideshow. maybe hard knocks will make a big deal out of it, i don't know. but during the season he will play or he won't. wasn't a sideshow when he was hurt last year, we were scared for a week, he was put on IR and we moved on.

don't think it'll be a sideshow. maybe hard knocks will make a big deal out of it, i don't know. but during the season he will play or he won't. wasn't a sideshow when he was hurt last year, he was put on IR and we moved on.

Well, yeah he tore his ACL so there was nothing looming.

The year prior it was every week...like the late Lou Brown would say "its either a leg thing, or a spiritual thing......or a heart attack"

Well, yeah he tore his ACL so there was nothing looming.

The year prior it was every week...like the late Lou Brown would say "its either a leg thing, or a spiritual thing......or a heart attack"

i dunno, it's the offseason. the jenkins thing isn't even on the sideshow radar compared to the contractual issues.

i dunno, it's the offseason. the jenkins thing isn't even on the sideshow radar compared to the contractual issues.

Well if Mangold and Revis hold out then that will be the #1 topic. With that being said, Im not expecting much out of Jenkins this year. If he stays healthy it will be a bonus imo.

But I dont think he's presecnce is as critical as we make it seem. Revis needs to be on the field, period imo.

Well if Mangold and Revis hold out then that will be the #1 topic. With that being said, Im not expecting much out of Jenkins this year. If he stays healthy it will be a bonus imo.

But I dont think he's presecnce is as critical as we make it seem. Revis needs to be on the field, period imo.

it's ironic that i think jenkins is absolutely critical for a ring and am not bothered by this "sideshow" and you, who think jenkins is pretty much expendable seems up in arms about it.

the media will find **** to write about in the offseason. whether it's revis' contract or jenkins' knee or ed reed's hip. it's what they do.

it's ironic that i think jenkins is absolutely critical for a ring and am not bothered by this "sideshow" and you, who think jenkins is pretty much expendable seems up in arms about it.

the media will find **** to write about in the offseason. whether it's revis' contract or jenkins' knee or ed reed's hip. it's what they do.

he's a luxury at this point Johnny-look we played our best football without him for some reason last year-he hurt us down here in the Miami game. With Pohau and Green we got faster in the middle

he's a luxury at this point Johnny-look we played our best football without him for some reason last year-he hurt us down here in the Miami game. With Pohau and Green we got faster in the middle

i think that has a lot to do with the players getting more comfortable in the scheme as the year went on. and even if you're right, DL depth is more than a luxury for a team with championship aspirations. besides, Pouha is OLDER than jenkins. who knows how he would hold up shouldering the entire NT load for 16+ games?

i think that has a lot to do with the players getting more comfortable in the scheme as the year went on. and even if you're right, DL depth is more than a luxury for a team with championship aspirations. besides, Pouha is OLDER than jenkins. who knows how he would hold up shouldering the entire NT load for 16+ games?

holy crap you're right Sione is exactly 6 months older than Jenkins. You have to admit though that Jenks has a lot more wear and tear on his tires than Pohau

holy crap you're right Sione is exactly 6 months older than Jenkins. You have to admit though that Jenks has a lot more wear and tear on his tires than Pohau

i think a rotation of these 2 guys gives us the best chance to win, personally. pouha proved he can handle the position, hopefully rex has enough confidence to move them in and out to keep them both fresh.

i think a rotation of these 2 guys gives us the best chance to win, personally. pouha proved he can handle the position, hopefully rex has enough confidence to move them in and out to keep them both fresh.

I'd have to say Sione Pohau was the most improved player I saw last year on the Jets. Remember him getting turned completely around while trying to play the position in Mangini's defense? He looked pitiful. I really hope Jenkins can be a 16+ game starter for us this year-i like him a lot as a player and as a person/character ON this team.

He should have retired. He'll be hurt by week 3 anyways.

Jenkins is probably the most overated player on the team. He's really a luxury at this point.

Wow...the guy is one of the most dominate defenders in the league. Literally impossible to block. Even Rex says it, the guys is a complete game changer. He is really the only player on our D you must game plan for....

Wow...the guy is one of the most dominate defenders in the league. Literally impossible to block. Even Rex says it, the guys is a complete game changer. He is really the only player on our D you must game plan for....

#24 begs to differ

#24 begs to differ

I knew this was going to come.

And I completely disagree, hence why Revis still got one of the highest amount of passes thrown his way on the year. He guards 1 guy the entire game...there really isnt much to game plan against that...you just have to accept that he's going to take away a side of the field, guard your best guy and take the shots that you can.

I highly doubt teams get together and say....alright, how are we going to beat Revis. Most likely the answer is, you dont, you just take what you can get and hope other player liks Pierre Garcon step up instead of Reggie Wayne and hope that the oline protect enough for the QB to get him the ball.

Trust me, Kris Jenkins at the LOS gives more headaches to OC's than Revis who matches up with 1 player the entire game.

You dont have to game plan for Revis?

Wow.

Yeah, Jenkins gives headaches....too bad he's not on the field. Walking wounded need not apply.

Jenkins isnt impossible to block. The Dolphins had the guy sucking wind and getting blown off the ball Week 5.

Archived