Tim McCarver compares Yankees to **** Germany

Matt39

Way to go, Tim.

Apparently the Third Reich term is censored, but you get the point

Tim McCarver still believes the New York Yankees didn't treat Joe Torre fairly after he left the team. But he now says he was wrong in comparing Torre's treatment after his departure to how **** Germany and the Soviet Union under Josef Stalin treated generals who had fallen out of favor.

McCarver, a Fox Sports analyst and former Torre teammate, blasted the Yankees during Saturday's national telecast of the Yankees' game against the Tampa Bay Rays. He said the team had "airbrushed" Torre out of its history, and compared that treatment to how **** and Soviet leaders dealt with generals when they became dissatisfied with their performance.

"Although my analogy was inappropriate, in my opinion the underlying point remains true," McCarver said, according to the New York Daily News. "That Yankee management -- not the players, they have embraced Joe Torre and always will -- has erased Joe Torre from their history, for the most part."

A Yankees spokesman declined comment, according to the report.

The Anti-Defamation League, which advocates against anti-Semitism and bigotry, also felt McCarver's comments went too far.

"No matter what one thinks of the Yankees' treatment of Joe Torre, likening it to how Germany and Russia treated their generals who fell out of favor is an inappropriate comparison," the organization said in a statement, according to the Daily News.

In the fourth inning of Fox's broadcast, McCarver, who was Torre's teammate with the St. Louis Cardinals in 1969, accused the Yankees of "corporate childishness" in their dealings with Torre.

The Yankees did not mention Torre, who led the team to 12 postseason appearances and four World Series titles, during ceremonies honoring the team's remarkable history at the last game at the old Yankee Stadium in 2008.

"You remember some of those despotic leaders in World War II, primarily in Russia and Germany, where they used to take those pictures that they had ... taken of former generals who were no longer alive, they had shot 'em," McCarver said Saturday. "They would airbrush the pictures, and airbrushed the generals out of the pictures. In a sense, that's what the Yankees have done with Joe Torre. They have airbrushed his legacy. I mean, there's no sign of Joe Torre at the Stadium. And, that's ridiculous. I don't understand it."

There is a large photo of Torre with late Yankees owner George Steinbrenner at one of the new stadium's gates. Torre, now manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers, also delivered a statement about Steinbrenner that was shown Friday on the stadium scoreboard.

Yep, douche. Offering the guy $5M for one year with potential for up to $8M is just what the **** and Soviet leaders would have done. Why are we bitching about players asking for new deals when Torre was allowed to be insulted by that offer?

I can see Torre and his cronies being bothered when it happened, but all this time later? Why is it even being brought up?

Yep, douche. Offering the guy $5M for one year with potential for up to $8M is just what the **** and Soviet leaders would have done. Why are we bitching about players asking for new deals when Torre was allowed to be insulted by that offer?

I can see Torre and his cronies being bothered when it happened, but all this time later? Why is it even being brought up?

Because Mccarver is a self serving dick head and needed to be the center of attention during Steinbrenners death and needed a way to piss on the Yanks.

I always loved Hank Steinbrenner's answer when asked whether or not the Yankees really wanted Torre back: "you don't offer a guy $5 million hoping he turns it down. What do you do if he says 'yes?'"

People should know better than to compare ANYTHING to Hitler and his cronies. Just keep it out of your mouth!

Bill Gallo (Daily News sports cartoonist for it seems an eternity) constantly referred to Steinbrenner as "Von Stein Grabber" with a German 3 Reich type of uniform.

Of course done mockingly and tongue in cheek.

I always loved Hank Steinbrenner's answer when asked whether or not the Yankees really wanted Torre back: "you don't offer a guy $5 million hoping he turns it down. What do you do if he says 'yes?'"
Torre started saying the postseason was a "crapshoot"i.e., totally random, after his Yankee teams started shatting the bed regularly in the postseason. Now a craps game has odds that are easily divined and known on every roll-more proof Torre likes hearing himself talk without considering what he says. If you play craps you know sooner or later a 7 is going to eff up a roll. But some other numbers are quite likely to come out,and you can hedge you bet all the time . And with the Yanks' admittedly large advantage in money, Torre was playing with loaded dice every October. In such a situation, there was nothing random about failure, it was inescusable. And if it was as random as Torre pretends, why should anyone overpay Torre (or any manager) if he gives them no real advantage by his own terms?

And lately Torre has put Jonathan Broxton on that Scott Proctor/Paul Quantrill Dr. Frank Jobe/James Parkes Overuse Program that was his calling card in NY year after year.

Torre started saying the postseason was a "crapshoot"i.e., totally random, after his Yankee teams started shatting the bed regularly in the postseason. Now a craps game has odds that are easily divined and known on every roll-more proof Torre likes hearing himself talk without considering what he says. If you play craps you know sooner or later a 7 is going to eff up a roll. But some other numbers are quite likely to come out,and you can hedge you bet all the time . And with the Yanks' admittedly large advantage in money, Torre was playing with loaded dice every October. In such a situation, there was nothing random about failure, it was inescusable. And if it was as random as Torre pretends, why should anyone overpay Torre (or any manager) if he gives them no real advantage by his own terms?

And lately Torre has put Jonathan Broxton on that Scott Proctor/Paul Quantrill Dr. Frank Jobe/James Parkes Overuse Program that was his calling card in NY year after year.

Everyone should just move on.

Bill Gallo (Daily News sports cartoonist for it seems an eternity) constantly referred to Steinbrenner as "Von Stein Grabber" with a German 3 Reich type of uniform.

Of course done mockingly and tongue in cheek.

Big difference. Most Germans in the German Army in WWII were not ****'s...Old Timmy boy took it to another level with his **** referrence.

Archived