The Darrelle Revis holdout

Maxman

Do you support his decision?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support his decision?

That's the same kind of contract that has always been paid out in the NFL to rookies who haven't proven a thing on the field. See: Gholston, Vernon. It's not a new concept.

What is new is the entire league hiding behind this CBA uncertainty boogeyman when it comes to signing vets - but not rookies.

And there aren't insurance policies for non-career ending injuries - like the one Leon sustained. He took out a policy, but wasn't able to collect because insurance companies suck, too.

This, we can agree on! :D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's going to be hilarious if/when he resigns, and everyone jumps back on his dick. Some of you guys are too funny.

Why? This makes absolutely no sense.

People support him for his play, nobody here is bashing him for his play.

He is being unreasonable with his demands, and in doing so trying to cripple the team.

It's far from hilarious that people actually support that.

Outside of the very slim chance that the Jets make Revis rot for the next four years, and Revis refuses to come back and play at one point during that time, he is going to get a new deal. And you know what, he was going to get a new deal regardless of his current antics. Trying to attribute a direct, definitive correlation between the two is simply you trying to justify your stance, when that correlation you're making is disastrously flawed. The ONLY thing this might accomplish is Revis might get his money sooner.

When was he going to get this contract of which you speak? Three years from now? A lot could happen between now and then. Tannenbaum likes to tell the press that he's made offers to Revis, but conveniently leaves out any details. Why would that be? Maybe because he really hasn't offered anything worthwhile?

When Revis comes back with guaranteed money, maybe even the type of signing bonus that Tanny hasn't been afraid to give to UFA's from other teams, it will be the direct result of this holdout. And Revis will've been wise to get it done without risking tearing a knee up in Cortland.

It's going to be hilarious if/when he resigns, and everyone jumps back on his dick. Some of you guys are too funny.

Not for nothing, but even if that were the case, there's no more room to jump on his dick with the 3 or 4 of you guys already on it.

Why? This makes absolutely no sense.

People support him for his play, nobody here is bashing him for his play.

He is being unreasonable with his demands, and in doing so trying to cripple the team.

It's far from hilarious that people actually support that.

I can't tell by some of these comments, his 'demands' are all hearsay IMO, but him playing for 1 million this year is unacceptable.

I can't tell by some of these comments, his 'demands' are all hearsay IMO, but him playing for 1 million this year is unacceptable.

Right and his holding out is hearsay too. :rolleyes:

Are you doubting that the Jets are making him offers, and that they are for more than he's making too?

I support. Dude has outplayed his original contract.

My real reason however for the support is that the Jets keep putting offers on the table without guaruntee money. Im not saying that he should get 16-17 mil, but He should be able to get a solid 10-11 mil a year contract with a good amount of that contract guaranteed. he's the best defender in the game today, its not hard to tell.

How are his demands hearsay? He has publicly stated that he wants to be the highest paid CB in the league, and specifically mentioned being paid more money than Asomugha. That's a pretty definitive statement.

I support. Dude has outplayed his original contract.

My real reason however for the support is that the Jets keep putting offers on the table without guaruntee money. Im not saying that he should get 16-17 mil, but He should be able to get a solid 10-11 mil a year contract with a good amount of that contract guaranteed. he's the best defender in the game today, its not hard to tell.

Sounds like he wants 16-17 mil per and guaranteed money.

Can you really fault the Jets for not bending over for him, especially how he signed for guaranteed money the first time and is now ******* them!

How are his demands hearsay? He has publicly stated that he wants to be the highest paid CB in the league, and specifically mentioned being paid more money than Asomugha. That's a pretty definitive statement.

Only the reports that the Jets are lowballing him are valid.

We are supposed to ignore the statements made by Mevis himself.

Right? :blink:

Sounds like he wants 16-17 mil per and guaranteed money.

Can you really fault the Jets for not bending over for him, especially how he signed for guaranteed money the first time and is now ******* them!

Giving a player like Revis a big up-front signing bonus with smaller back-end salaries is like handing a child a loaded handgun. You're just setting yourself up for another holdout as soon as the annual salary BY ITSELF isn't exciting anymore. Guarantee the salaries for injury and call it a damned day! Is Revis really worried about guarantee for skill at this point? Really?!

He shouldn't have held out and signed that contract the first time around then.

I guess, but why tell the guy you gonna give him a contract/raise after last season and don't come through, kind of goes both ways. This isn't the first time we hear this.

Right and his holding out is hearsay too. :rolleyes:

Are you doubting that the Jets are making him offers, and that they are for more than he's making too?

I'm not doubting anything, all I know he's like the 4th guy who has come forward and said the Jets were going to redo his contract after the season, the guy played lights out last year and now it's time to pay the piper. To dismiss his play or discredit what he has done only because he wants more money is hilarious to me. These guys only have a short amount of time to get their money, I can't hate or be mad at that, it's part of the business. I'm more mad @ Al Davis really, but whatever guys, carry on.

Giving a player like Revis a big up-front signing bonus with smaller back-end salaries is like handing a child a loaded handgun. You're just setting yourself up for another holdout as soon as the annual salary BY ITSELF isn't exciting anymore. Guarantee the salaries for injury and call it a damned day! Is Revis really worried about guarantee for skill at this point? Really?!

You are preaching to the choir.

I am okay with the hold out, but more on the principle in general. It's Darrell's life, his decision. We all don't have to like it, or would do the same, but you have to respect the business side of the game and risks associated with playing it. You think Revis is greedy? Believe me, ownership isn't taking a loss anytime soon. Bottom line - this goes both ways, so don't call out Revis without calling out the ownership, especially as the psl's we pay end up funding the filthy rich's grey poupon in their excessive suites.

I guess, but why tell the guy you gonna give him a contract/raise after last season and don't come through, kind of goes both ways. This isn't the first time we hear this.

I'm not doubting anything, all I know he's like the 4th guy who has come forward and said the Jets were going to redo his contract after the season, the guy played lights out last year and now it's time to pay the piper. To dismiss his play or discredit what he has done only because he wants more money is hilarious to me. These guys only have a short amount of time to get their money, I can't hate or be mad at that, it's part of the business. I'm more mad @ Al Davis really, but whatever guys, carry on.

Sounds like you are doubting to me.

They have made him several offers to give him more money, so how are they not trying to pay the piper?

Mevis says he wants crazy Al money, so now you want the Jets to be stupid?

Not really, he'll get his deal/cash.

Yeah, but I was referring to this quote.

Not for nothing, but even if that were the case, there's no more room to jump on his dick with the 3 or 4 of you guys already on it.

Sounds like you are doubting to me.

1. They have made him several offers to give him more money, so how are they not trying to pay the piper?

2. Mevis says he wants crazy Al money, so now you want the Jets to be stupid?

1. Believe want you want on that one.

2. That's the NFL, once crazy Al gave that deal to Aso it becomes the standard when negotiating @ that position. I believe Aso has to be the highest paid at his position, so if/when Revis signs his deal, the real fun begins.

1. Believe want you want on that one.

2. That's the NFL, once crazy Al gave that deal to Aso it becomes the standard when negotiating @ that position. I believe Aso has to be the highest paid at his position, so if/when Revis signs his deal, the real fun begins.

Are you doubting that they made him several offers to increase his contract?

Because it's quite obvious that they have.

You know that was when Mevis came back with the I want more than Aso bit.

Or do you not believe the words out of his own mouth either?

Are you doubting that they made him several offers to increase his contract?

Because it's quite obvious that they have.

You know that was when Mevis came back with the I want more than Aso bit.

Or do you not believe the words out of his own mouth either?

Whatever they offered him, he didn't want or it was unacceptable . It's a business, I understand it he has all the right to hold out and pay his fines or whatever.

No it sounded more like the truth than a cry.

Right, and the truth is you're riding his.

I am okay with the hold out, but more on the principle in general. It's Darrell's life, his decision. We all don't have to like it, or would do the same, but you have to respect the business side of the game and risks associated with playing it. You think Revis is greedy? Believe me, ownership isn't taking a loss anytime soon. Bottom line - this goes both ways, so don't call out Revis without calling out the ownership, especially as the psl's we pay end up funding the filthy rich's grey poupon in their excessive suites.

+1

Revis' career is on the line every time he steps on the football field. Leon's just the latest example. Remember the Pats' RB Robert Edwards? The guy who looked like a pro bowler as a rookie, only to destroy his knee in a flag football game on the beach? These are not rare injuries, they happen all the time. If Revis were to sustain such an injury, his ability to earn in excess of $100M all of a sudden becomes impossible. If he were to report to camp and sustain such an injury tomorrow, his contract talks would end before they got him on the stretcher.

This is why guarantees are important to him, and why he'd be a fool to risk his future earnings without a real guarantee in place.

What guarantee does a team have that a player will perform as expected, or stay healthy? None. Why should the team suffer all losses in the event a player can no longer fulfill his job?

The Leon Washington example supports the FO's argument as well.

The risk the player takes is already paid for in advance. It's called a signing bonus.

Bottom line, the Jets will probably want to buy his two option years. But first, they need a happy Revis to play like Revis, not Kerry Rhodes.

Would be interesting to know what final offers were made that Revis rejected.

Whatever they offered him, he didn't want or it was unacceptable . It's a business, I understand it he has all the right to hold out and pay his fines or whatever.

Right because he wants crazy Al Aso money, which the Jets would be stupid to offer.

Right, and the truth is you're riding his.

How can you tell? Turned on.

Well... just got off the phone with my boss and let him know I'll be holding out and won't be in today... I'm clearly the best worker at my position and feel like I should be paid accordingly so I can feed my family... I also told him some of the money should be guaranteed after what happened to Leon Washington last year.... He hung up on me!!! I can't believe it!!!

We all don't have to like it, or would do the same, but you have to respect the business side of the game and risks associated with playing it.

Uh no, I don't have to respect selfishness and greed.

If you look at the big picture, Revis is compromising the opportunity of success for this team, thus compromising incentives embedded in the contracts of his team mates.

In a word, he's stealing.

Revis is thrown at more than most CB's. It's the scheme Rex runs, and the fact that Revis is covering #1 WR's all day long.

Revis is very physical for a CB, and his legs are critical. Lots of players have devastating leg injuries in non-contact situations. Revis gets an injury like that, and his ability to earn goes out the window.

Your sh*tty job has nothing to do with it. Neither does mine. Revis works harder than we do, and has proven himself to be the best of an elite group of athletes at what he does. He has leverage when he goes to his boss looking for a raise that we can't fathom. And he'd be foolish not to use it, IMHO. Everyone knows -and no one seems to care- that the Jets will cut any player they don't think is worth the money without blinking an eye. Why are the players expected to honor the same contracts that management consistently breaks?

But I don't understand the timing of this. Either way, he will get paid big again, maybe not this year, but hes still young and if he is as elite as we saw last year, he'll have no trouble getting paid like an elite corner before he retires. But with 3 years left on his contract, this holdout hurts more than helps him.

Why can't Revis wait a year after we've dumped Gholston, don't we still have a lot of money tied up in him? I'd imagine Tanny must be sitting there wanting to give all these core players their due, but I image part of it must be tied to Gholston failing this year and then being released next year.

Regarding the poll, is there an "I'm torn" option? For the most part I've been leaning towards the Jets side on this one. Between Revis's statements about wanting 50 cents more than Aso, the past history that his agents have had with the Jets organziation (the Pete Kendall and Chris Baker fiascos as well as the first Revis contract), and other statements by the Revis team (such as when his "business manager" John Geiger, aka the head of his entourage, mocked D'Brickshaw Ferguson's contract). But when I hear that the Jets offers don't include any guaranteed money (and I do understand that CBA rules limit this somewhat, but the Jets can offer some sort of signing bonus) and I hear the short term offer only raises his salary to 2.5K, it makes me think the Jets aren't doing the right thing either.

Bottom line is that the Jets need Darelle Revis. Realistically, this is not a team contending for a super bowl without Darelle Revis. But Darelle Revis needs the Jets as well. Whether its by directly playing football or the endorsements/appearances he receives money for based on his prominence and skill, this all disappears if he sits out.

Archived