Mr.T's hands tied re: signing Revis?- PFT

Kentucky Jet

On Revis, Tannenbaum's hands apparently are tied

Posted by Mike Florio on August 2, 2010 8:22 AM ET

Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum addressed with the media on Sunday the status of talks with cornerback Darrelle Revis. One thing Tannenbaum didn't say, presumably because he values his job, is that his hands have been tied by a reluctance/refusal on the part of ownership to authorize making the kind of offer that would get Revis to end his holdout and report for camp.

"Two things that we all agreed upon is that Darrelle outplayed his contract and it needed to be addressed and that he has three years to go on his contract," Tannenbaum said. "With that said, we have to find something that works for both sides and we remain committed to doing that."

Tannenbaum also confirmed what Revis has contended throughout the offseason -- that the Jets approached Revis about tearing up the final three years of his contract.

"The Tuesday after we lost the Colts game [for the AFC title] we were in Mobile, AL [for the Senior Bowl] and we called his agent and said we have to get something done," Tannenbaum said.

Tannenbaum deftly avoided addressing the real problem that is preventing a deal (i.e., guaranteed money) by explaining only that the two sides can't agree on total compensation. On the surface, it's hard for anyone to dispute that contention, because Revis has made it clear he wants to be paid 50 cents more than Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, who's making $15.1 million per year.

As we understand it, the long-term offers that the Jets have made to Revis include the same tools utilized by the team when signing tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson to his long-term deal -- namely, a hollow guarantee that does nothing to address Revis' concern that a serious injury like the one running back Leon Washington suffered in 2009 would result in the Jets never paying him truly big money.

But there's also a connection between guaranteed money and total compensation. To get to the average Revis wants, the 30-percent rule and the reallocation rule compel the Jets to utilize the ultimate form of guaranteed money. The signing bonus.

And that's where Tannenbaum's hands are tied. (It only took us six paragraphs to get to the point.) We're told that owner Woody Johnson refuses to authorize Tannenbaum to extend the kind of signing bonus money necessary to get the deal done.

And so it all comes back to, in our view, a failure of communication at the time the Jets opted to let the renegotiation cat out of the bag. They didn't say -- and they don't claim they said -- that the Asomugha contract is an aberration or that the 30-percent rule and the reallocation rule will limit as a practical matter what the Jets can do.

Then again, maybe they did. And maybe the failure comes not from telling it to Revis, but from telling it to the rest of us.

Either way, it's a mess. And as we pointed out last night, Revis and his family (including his uncle, Sean Gilbert) are dug in.

"Darrelle's actions spoke volumes," agent Neil Schwartz told us by phone last night after declining to discuss the details of the situation, "and his current silence is deafening."

That's the one key point that hasn't been emphasized in connection with the Revis holdout. Though Revis did plenty of talking in June, he said nothing on Sunday. Our guess is that he won't be saying anything more, unless and until he's sitting at a table answering questions about the new contract he just signed.

Permalink 0 Comments Latest stories in: Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Rumors, New York Jets, Top Stories

Previous: Bills requiring all offensive linemen to wear knee braces

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, Tannenbaum has reached out to Revis and Revis isn't returning the calls. That's fine. I'd stop calling him. Let him call me.

Then I would tell him "Here's the deal, Revis. YOu want to renegotiate your contract? Fine. Give me back your signing bonus, and we'll take it from there."

That's all.

I like blasting Woody as much as the next guy but PFT really? We should believe this just because you said it?

Is it any less credible than what comes straight from Tannenbaum's mouth?

slats no offense but you seem like you have a personal interest in this Revis fiasco?

I think the rules are skewed sharply against the players in all negotiations. I think the owners get richer off of talented athletes who shorten their lives to play a game. They become crippled, or their brains don't work the way their supposed to. The next round of CBA talks will be a complete joke, with the owners getting 95% of what they want. Any time a player has enough juice on his own to fight that system, I applaud him.

And with so many fans applying one set of morality rules to the owner, and another set to the player, I find myself digging in more. It really boggles my mind that it's absolutely perfectly fine with everyone that the Jets break contracts with Thomas Jones or Alan Faneca, but if Darrelle Revis wants to break his deal he's some kind of greedy bitch diva.

I think the rules are skewed sharply against the players in all negotiations. I think the owners get richer off of talented athletes who shorten their lives to play a game. They become crippled, or their brains don't work the way their supposed to. The next round of CBA talks will be a complete joke, with the owners getting 95% of what they want. Any time a player has enough juice on his own to fight that system, I applaud him.

And with so many fans applying one set of morality rules to the owner, and another set to the player, I find myself digging in more. It really boggles my mind that it's absolutely perfectly fine with everyone that the Jets break contracts with Thomas Jones or Alan Faneca, but if Darrelle Revis wants to break his deal he's some kind of greedy bitch diva.

team didn't "break" contracts with jones/faneca. they exercised their right to early termination. the CBA gives teams the right to cut - and the CBA is incorprated into every single NFL contract. this is why it is up to the player and his agent to negotiate guaranteed money seperately - if you want more security, you give up total comp for guarantees.

whether it is right or not for a team to cut a player mid-contract is one thing, but it has nothing to do with "not honoring" a contract when they have the right to do so.

agree completely Slats. There's no rational argument that revis is wrong and the Jets are right. It's rooting for the laundry pure and simple.

only problem the laundry doesn't perform as well without good players wearing it.

Players need to also take responsibility in their careers by purchasing insurance. How many former NFL players are broke because of decisions they made and not the team. Revis is under contract and has already recieved $16 mill for 2 years of football id say he did pretty dam good so far.

It really boggles my mind that it's absolutely perfectly fine with everyone that the Jets break contracts with Thomas Jones or Alan Faneca, but if Darrelle Revis wants to break his deal he's some kind of greedy bitch diva.

What's mind-boggling to me is that you can't understand how the long-suffering fans of a franchise would be angered by their best player threatening to jeopardize arguably the most anticipated season in team history, because he's unhappy with the terms of a contract of which half the term has yet to be satisfied.

agree completely Slats. There's no rational argument that revis is wrong and the Jets are right. It's rooting for the laundry pure and simple.

only problem the laundry doesn't perform as well without good players wearing it.

No logical arugment? So he's got a contract that he held out for three years ago isn't a logical argument? What planet are you from?

team didn't "break" contracts with jones/faneca. they exercised their right to early termination. the CBA gives teams the right to cut - and the CBA is incorprated into every single NFL contract. this is why it is up to the player and his agent to negotiate guaranteed money seperately - if you want more security, you give up total comp for guarantees.

whether it is right or not for a team to cut a player mid-contract is one thing, but it has nothing to do with "not honoring" a contract when they have the right to do so.

Who makes the rules?

Oh, the owners make the rules. That's right.

There's a little give and take with the players' union, but it's mostly for show. The owners hold virtually all the cards. I'm sure they miss the days when they drafted a player and held his rights forever, paying him whatever they felt like paying him, but the rules today really don't hamper them all that much. They designed them that way.

Holding out is a player's only option. It's also a part of the system that owners are fully aware of. Not many players have the leverage to do it. This year, Revis does.

No logical arugment? So he's got a contract that he held out for three years ago isn't a logical argument? What planet are you from?

If a contract is not guaranteed what kind of contract is it? It's a show.

NFL contracts are not MLB or NBA contracts. They are tissue paper contracts. Revis gets hurt this year he gets basically nothing. not the 20 mil everyone talks about.

the rate he held out for 3 years ago is still far below the rate for man to man shut down corners. So the Jets made money on that deal. It's time for them to pay.

What's mind-boggling to me is that you can't understand how the long-suffering fans of a franchise would be angered by their best player threatening to jeopardize arguably the most anticipated season in team history, because he's unhappy with the terms of a contract of which half the term has yet to be satisfied.

Here's the thing....as a fan you cant invest in this team or any team like these players owe you anything.

See James, Lebron.

If a contract is not guaranteed what kind of contract is it? It's a show.

NFL contracts are not MLB or NBA contracts. They are tissue paper contracts.

the rate he held out for 3 years ago is still far below the rate for man to man shut down corners. So the Jets made money on that deal. It's time for them to pay.

It would have been guaranteed had he shown up yesterday.

He's the only reason its not guaranteed, not the team.

It would have been guaranteed had he shown up yesterday.

He's the only reason its not guaranteed, not the team.

That's not accurate. Under his current deal, if Revis Leon's himself in training camp the Jets can choose not to guarantee anything.

I understand the frustration, but it's business.

That frustration could also be taken out on a management team that came to Revis offering to tear up his existing deal for something more in line with his market value, then refused to give him anything in the form of guarantees. Instead the fans are collectively taking it all out on the player.

Players need to also take responsibility in their careers by purchasing insurance. How many former NFL players are broke because of decisions they made and not the team. Revis is under contract and has already recieved $16 mill for 2 years of football id say he did pretty dam good so far.

He's made $16M over three years, and he's due just $550K more this year. That's well under the market value for a player of Revis' caliber.

And there isn't insurance for the type of injury that reduces a players effectiveness (and thus, reduces his potential income significantly), there's only "career ending" injury insurance.

Who makes the rules?

Oh, the owners make the rules. That's right.

There's a little give and take with the players' union, but it's mostly for show. The owners hold virtually all the cards. I'm sure they miss the days when they drafted a player and held his rights forever, paying him whatever they felt like paying him, but the rules today really don't hamper them all that much. They designed them that way.

Holding out is a player's only option. It's also a part of the system that owners are fully aware of. Not many players have the leverage to do it. This year, Revis does.

even if you're right and owners hold all the cards it is diningenuous to accuse the jets of "breaking" contracts by exercising their contractual right to cut. if you want to protect yourself against being cut, ask for lower overall comp with more guarantees -- too bad agents push players to take contracts with the biggest dollar amount possible for their own reputations. blaming everything on the team is extraordinarily one-sided.

Here's the thing....as a fan you cant invest in this team or any team like these players owe you anything.

See James, Lebron.

I agree, in that I don't think the players care about winning nearly as much as the fans and I don't give a rat's a$$ about Darrelle Revis or any other player on a personal level (which is kind of funny for someone whose screename is that of a former player)... I'm one that roots for the laundry.

The simple fact is that he is the team's best CB and is under contract... if the Jets were expected to go 7-9 this season, there would obviously be much less uproar about this situation.

Sal paolontonio just called Dwight Lowery a "journey man"

Really? He was drafted by the JETS two years ago how is he a Journey man? Idiot.

A few years ago the term "journeyman" started to mean "average" instead of "guy who's played for multiple teams."

I don't know why this happened. But I've seen it used this way before and always find it to be an annoying misuse of the English language.

Because we're Jets fans. Not TJ, Faneca or Revis fans. We were here before them, and will be here after them.

A few years ago the term "journeyman" started to mean "average" instead of "guy who's played for multiple teams."

I don't know why this happened. But I've seen it used this way before and always find it to be an annoying misuse of the English language.

Oh, I thought journeyman meant he's been in the league for a while going from team to team. Atleast that's what it means in baseball terms.

I understand the frustration, but it's business.

That frustration could also be taken out on a management team that came to Revis offering to tear up his existing deal for something more in line with his market value, then refused to give him anything in the form of guarantees. Instead the fans are collectively taking it all out on the player.

Though it was an ill-advised move, in hindsight, to make an offer without fully understanding Revis's expectations, the team was under no obligation to increase his compensation.

He may be butthurt that they didn't offer to write him a blank check, but that doesn't mean that Revis is in the right in electing to publicly pout instead of honoring his commitments while negotiations continue.

I sincerely hope that the Jets don't pick up the phone before August 10th.

even if you're right and owners hold all the cards it is diningenuous to accuse the jets of "breaking" contracts by exercising their contractual right to cut. if you want to protect yourself against being cut, ask for lower overall comp with more guarantees -- too bad agents push players to take contracts with the biggest dollar amount possible for their own reputations. blaming everything on the team is extraordinarily one-sided.

Probably, but I'm not doing that. I'm just supporting Revis' right to hold out. I'm not suggesting he should be paid more than Aso - and no one knows if that's a negotiating stance or his line in the sand. I'm just saying that the man's underpaid -something his employers acknowledge- and that he'd be foolish to step on the field with "just" $550K scheduled to come his way.

It's a business from both the players' and the owners' POV. But fans are completely blinded to the players side of the business.

Because we're Jets fans. Not TJ, Faneca or Revis fans. We were here before them, and will be here after them.

Haha! So you cheer the loudest when they show Woody in his suite on TV?

Journeyman definitions:

A journeyman or journeywoman is an athlete or professional sports player who is technically competent, but unable to excel. See Trevor Benjamin as an example of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journeyman_(sports)

craftsman: a skilled worker who practices some trade or handicraft

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=journeyman

a tradesman who has served an apprenticeship and is employed by a master tradesman; a competent but undistinguished tradesman, especially one who works, and is paid by the day

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/journeyman

Yeah he was saying he's average.

That's not accurate. Under his current deal, if Revis Leon's himself in training camp the Jets can choose not to guarantee anything.

bit,on the flipside to that argument,if the jets give revis huge guaranteed dough,and revis pulls a leon,the jets are assed out and dont get anything,either

It's amazing your political views are the polar opposite. :D

You are all for management ie the government confiscating money from the players ie taxpayer/workers.

You really should seek help.

Archived