Three Point Stance on the way out in the NFL?

slats

Is the 3-point stance on the way out in the NFL?

21 m ago By Bob Glauber

Very interesting comments from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell during a stop at the Browns' training camp in Berea, Ohio, where he addressed the issue of player safety and discussed the eventual phasing out of the three-point stance as a way to reduce concussions.

Goodell even suggested that the three-point stance might one day be prohibited for offensive and defensive linemen because it promotes helmet-to-helmet collisions. Goodell has discussed the idea at length with former Hall of Fame NFL head coach and broadcaster John Madden; the two are traveling around the country visiting teams this summer.

"Coach Madden and I were talking about that a lot on the tour, and we've talked about it a lot in the past," Goodell said, per Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon-Journal. "And it's one of the areas that we'll continue to look at. But it's also interesting [because] we were talking about it in the context of the current game. You're seeing a lot of that right now. There's a lot less three-point stance because of the offensive formations and systems that teams are employing. I think we'll continue to evaluate that, but I think it is a trend that's changing already in our game."

Not everyone is in favor of the idea, Ulrich writes. Browns defensive lineman Robaire Smith said the game would undergo a major change without players being allowed to use the three-point stance.

"I think that would change everybody's job," Smith said. "For one, it would take leverage and explosion out of the game. It would almost be like really saying don't go out there, don't be physical, don't hit. I think it would be taking away like 70 percent of what really goes on in football."

Browns offensive lineman Eric Steinbach isn't convinced the elimination of the three-point stance would reduce concussions.

"It wouldn't change nothing because you're still gonna hit," Steinbach said. "Linebackers are in a two-point stance, and they got to come up [and hit]. This is a game of forward motion. You can't be passive and kind of sit back. Whether you're in a two-point or a three-point [stance], when the ball is snapped, you have to come off."

For the record, I don't think this will help much. I don't think the league's concussion problem is in the trenches as much as it is with players hitting each other at high speed in the secondary. Just thought it was an interesting read - especially if Goodell is serious about changing the rules.

For the record, I don't think this will help much. I don't think the league's concussion problem is in the trenches as much as it is with players hitting each other at high speed in the secondary. Just thought it was an interesting read - especially if Goodell is serious about changing the rules.

Thanks for posting that, it is very interesting. And I agree I don't see it having any impact on concussions. It always seems to be the receiver getting flattened in the secondary that leads to a concussion.

Agree that it won't help matters much if at all. It's a fallacy, though, that linemen don't suffer as many head injuries. Studies have shown that, though they suffer fewer high-impact events to the head, they are susceptible to far more lower level impacts which have a cumulative effect as bad or worse (Mike

webster) than LBs or DBs or WRs.

Agree that it won't help matters much if at all. It's a fallacy, though, that linemen don't suffer as many head injuries. Studies have shown that, though they suffer fewer high-impact events to the head, they are susceptible to far more lower level impacts which have a cumulative effect as bad or worse (Mike

webster) than LBs or DBs or WRs.

But bear in mind that when Webster was playing, they had guys like Tombstone Jackson giving headslaps on a regular basis. That may have had a lot to do with the concussions back then.

If they get rid of the 3 point stance they might as well just switch to Aussie Rules Football. I'm serious. If your going to change the game that much just go all the way.

and then he can watch how many fans STOP watching football!!

If this actually happens, I will boycott the NFL. Like that DL said, it's a game of hitting, and this change will kill every D Lineman. Runningbacks are already out of control, but if the offense already has the advantage of knowing the snap count AND the DL have no leverage, the league will fall. Honestly, all these new rules are stupid, and they make the games less intense. Every sport has injuries, it's part of the game and there's no way to stop it. I honestly might consider just watching the uprising of the UFL.

Archived