Tuesday is the next key date for the Revis holdout

NIGHT STALKER

Posted by Mike Florio on August 8, 2010 12:47 PM ET

Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis didn't flinch a week ago, when his decision to boycott the launch of training camp stripped the guarantees from $20 million that he's due to earn in 2011 and 2012 combined.

The next question is whether he'll flinch on Tuesday.

Under the terms of the labor agreement, Revis will forfeit a year of service toward free agency, if he fails to report for training camp at least 30 days before the start of the regular season. With the 2010 regular season beginning on September 9, it means that Revis must show up on or before August 10 or lose a year of service.

The rule, which applies only to players under contract, means that, if Revis doesn't show by Tuesday, he'll finish 2010 with the three years of service that he already has earned.

But it's unlikely that Revis will show up without a new contract; Revis' motivation flows in large part from his desire to nail down a second contract with the kind of truly guaranteed money that will set him up for life. (And, as we're learning more and more all the time, the only truly guaranteed money is a signing bonus.) Unless the two sides can bridge their differences in 48 hours, Revis will have to decide whether he wants to give up a year of service toward free agency.

Then again, the fact that he's under contract for three more years makes his years of service less important. A guy doesn't become a free agent until his contract expires; even if Revis holds out until Week 10 of the 2010 regular season, he'll be on track to have five years of service once his six-year contract ends.

Our guess? If a deal isn't reached by Tuesday, Revis will continue to stay away.

It's business and Revis chooses to drive a hard bargain. It is what it is. Why take sides. Tanny wants to see to the teams long term interests and Revis wants to see to his. We can gripe about his greed ... but the same case could be made for Woody's greed in many of the offseason moves.

The man wants to play and wants to play for the jets and deserves a big contract. It'll happen. Patience oh pissed ones. I'm pulling for a deal soon rather than for or against one one of the best players on the jets.

It's business and Revis chooses to drive a hard bargain. It is what it is. Why take sides. Tanny wants to see to the teams long term interests and Revis wants to see to his. We can gripe about his greed ... but the same case could be made for Woody's greed in many of the offseason moves.

The man wants to play and wants to play for the jets and deserves a big contract. It'll happen. Patience oh pissed ones. I'm pulling for a deal soon rather than for or against one one of the best players on the jets.

I don't think the fans are against Revis getting a big contract...it's the amount. If reports are true (and I don't know if they are) and he wants to be paid more than Aso, then I and many have a problem with that...that's greed and personal gratification. Especially when the Jets have other talents to take care of as in Mangold and Harris as examples.

I don't think the fans are against Revis getting a big contract...it's the amount. If reports are true (and I don't know if they are) and he wants to be paid more than Aso, then I and many have a problem with that...that's greed and personal gratification. Especially when the Jets have other talents to take care of as in Mangold and Harris as examples.

Nutshell.

this dead line is meaningless

he's entrenched for a long tgerm deal with huge up front money, what does a year less towards free agency mean if you are looking for a long term deal ?

I just hope he's back by the final PS game so he can shake the rust off

I don't see how the free agency thing would even matter to him, he IS under contract for 3 more years anyway. The whole point is he wants a new contract, and he isn't a free agent and isn't willing to wait until he becomes one. If he was, he would just take the $21M he's due for the next 3 years, including the huge $15M year. I'm not sure how it works, but don't the Jets have to buy both those years at once?

Maybe the Jets should simply guarantee the remainder of the contract right now, if that is the issue in question. In case Revis does get injured, that'd be a huge loss, but if he isn't, that's a good compromise. Or they can restructure the contract, and pay him $7M this year and $7M the next year. It moves up the salary and more than likely that final year will be renegotiated, but until then it shouldn't be a big deal. It would probably get him in camp. Or maybe it pacifies him and he finishes out the contract. There are solutions to this, but I don't know how the negotiations are going. If Revis' hangup is just the $1M figure, it'd be really easy to solve. Tanny probably already tried this but who knows.

I don't see how the free agency thing would even matter to him, he IS under contract for 3 more years anyway. The whole point is he wants a new contract, and he isn't a free agent and isn't willing to wait until he becomes one. If he was, he would just take the $21M he's due for the next 3 years, including the huge $15M year. I'm not sure how it works, but don't the Jets have to buy both those years at once?

Maybe the Jets should simply guarantee the remainder of the contract right now, if that is the issue in question. In case Revis does get injured, that'd be a huge loss, but if he isn't, that's a good compromise. Or they can restructure the contract, and pay him $7M this year and $7M the next year. It moves up the salary and more than likely that final year will be renegotiated, but until then it shouldn't be a big deal. It would probably get him in camp. Or maybe it pacifies him and he finishes out the contract. There are solutions to this, but I don't know how the negotiations are going. If Revis' hangup is just the $1M figure, it'd be really easy to solve. Tanny probably already tried this but who knows.

I think that's the issue. The Jets can't guarantee anything over $300K unless it's a signing bonus or unless the guarantee goes into effect next year (meaning he still gets nothing if he gets a career-ending injury this year).

I don't think there's an aversion - by Johnson, not by Tannenbaum - to paying him a high salary for playing. What he doesn't want is to give it to him up-front so he doesn't have any financial repercussions for a league lockout. If it's only guaranteed salary, then he gets nothing if he (along with the rest of the league) doesn't show up to work. With a signing bonus he's still getting paid if he doesn't play.

Archived