Woody says NO to Mevi$

Kentucky Jet

Woody has been gouging Jets fans since he's been here. That has nothing to do with revis taking the team hostage and putting a gun to everybody's head.

the onus is on Woody to make sure this team wins a Super Bowl. They aren't gonna do it without their best player.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Nobody here said otherwise. You are injecting a strawman into the argument.

If he's the best at his position, why shouldn't he be paid like it?

I understand he's under contract still. In most cases, I'd be against what a player like Revis is doing. But Revis isn't just another player — especially for the Jets.

the onus is on Woody to make sure this team wins a Super Bowl. They aren't gonna do it without their best player.

Another strawman.

OK, fine. Let's roll with it. I said it before but apparently it needs repeating:

Put it in the contract: The Jets make it to the SB this year or the contract is null and void, and reverts back to the original contract revis signed (and didn't honor).

If he's the best at his position, why shouldn't he be paid like it?

OK, take Aso out of this because his salary is an anomaly---

Name the top five CB's in the NFL and what is their average annual salary actuarized throughout the life of their contracts? Assuming revis is better than them, what then should be his salary? Your the GM.

I left the your like that to give dbatesman something to do.

Name the top five CB's in the NFL and what is their average annual salary actuarized throughout the life of their contracts?

Why compare this situation to that of other teams?

We are in a unique situation — with a uniquely gifted player.

Revis makes Rex's defense diabolical. Did anyone watch football last year?

Is he underpaid?

Yes or no?

Will he be underpaid if he gets ASO money?

No.

Did he take upfront money holdout and negotiate for this contract, and then hold out again?

He wants twice what Aso got in overal contract!

Giving into his demands would be committing cap suicide.

Get a clue!

I have an idea that is probably crazy for some reason I don't see. I don't blame Revis for wanting to be the highest paid DB in the game, because he is the best there is. And I don't blame the Jets for not chasing a ridiculous baseline (Aso's salary) set by a senile old fool (Al Davis) who isn't concerned with building a Super Bowl team.

So give Revis a fully guaranteed contract. Give him something less than Aso in total salary, but more than any other DB, but all guaranteed. Revis would have to love that financially, and it would truly distinguish him and satisfy his ego. And what is the downside for the Jets? There certainly is little risk in him not playing to expectations (he will probably get even better, if that is possible). And he is still young enough that you don't have to worry about him tailing off the last couple of years of his contract which is often the case with a big extention. And don't tell me Woody can't find the money which would have to be all paid out up front.

Problem solved. That is what I do. Solve problems. :P

Why compare this situation to that of other teams?

We are in a unique situation — with a uniquely gifted player.

Revis makes Rex's defense diabolical. Did anyone watch football last year?

Yeah we watched did you?

We seem to understand that a C, an ILB, two WRs and a DE and another CB are required on this team as well.

You don't.

So give Revis a fully guaranteed contract. Give him something less than Aso in total salary, but more than any other DB, but all guaranteed.

Can you imagine the precedent that would set? It's not going to work. Every player will want guaranteed money. A player could beat his wife, do drugs, not pay child support, kill somebody go to jail, wind up a cripple in a motorcycle accident, and if you cut him you still pay him for the life of the contract.

You said to take ASO out of the equation, I believe.

Yes, in preface of a question/scenario.

Besides Aso, who are the best CB's in the league? What is the average salary(including prorated signing bonus)?

Now, YOU ARE THE GM---

What should revis get since he's the "best CB in the league"?

Yes, in preface of a question/scenario.

Besides Aso, who are the best CB's in the league? What is the average salary(including prorated signing bonus)?

Now, YOU ARE THE GM---

What should revis get since he's the "best CB in the league"?

Whatever will get him on the field.

I'm not an NFL GM. I'm a fan who wants to see his team win. Revis — more than any other player — helps us achieve that.

ASO money — or right in that ballpark — is what Revis deserves.

It isn't his fault Crazy Al set the standard.

And it isn't our fault you don't understand what "standard" means. One contract does not set a standard. It's more of an outlier than anything, especially considering how close the average contracts are for every other top CB in the league.

Even if it was the standard, there is still no valid reasoning to explain how a guy who got a contract at that amount on a three year deal when he was scheduled to become an UFA is equivalent to a guy who has three years left on his rookie deal and wants his deal torn up and a new deal that where he would be making that amount per year on a significantly longer term contract.

Is he underpaid?

Yes or no?

Will he be underpaid if he gets ASO money?

No.

Is he underpaid? For this singular season not taking into account any the factors? Yes, but that's not the way NFL contracts work. Besides that's life, he signed the contract, now he has to honor it.

Will he be underpaid if he gets Aso money? No, he will be massively overpaid.

And it isn't our fault you don't understand what "standard" means. One contract does not set a standard. It's more of an outlier than anything, especially considering how close the average contracts are for every other top CB in the league.

Even if it was the standard, there is still no valid reasoning to explain how a guy who got a contract at that amount on a three year deal when he was scheduled to become an UFA is equivalent to a guy who has three years left on his rookie deal and wants his deal torn up and a new deal that where he would be making that amount per year on a significantly longer term contract.

Understood on all fronts.

Still, there's a pretty large gap in between the likes of ASO and Revis and Dunta Robinson.

Name the top five CB's in the NFL and what is their average annual salary actuarized throughout the life of their contracts? Assuming revis is better than them, what then should be his salary? Your the GM.

it is becoming more clear as the days tick away.the sides are so far apart,that tanny is DONE with long term extention negotiations.it is time for plan b.make revis a 1 year offer that he shouldnt refuse.try to get him into camp,this year.if revis' camp smells a rat and figures out this is the only offer the jets will offer him ever,they might refuse.the jets then tell him to get comfortable because if they cant trade him,he wont play for 4 years.then the jets put revis on the trading blocks.see whats out there.as of right now,revis isnt playing this year anyways unless he gets what he wants.the jets wont give it to him,anyways.if the jets get a good enough offer for revis,great,trade him.if not,he plays madden all year on his xbox.

The question I have, is what happens if the Jets do nothing and Revis holds out for the entire year. No accrued service towards free agency.

But, what happens to his contract?

Does the contract remain the same and if he wants to play next year, is he locked into the same deal and his salary is still 1 million?

If this is the case, we could live this groundhog year for a few years to come.

it is becoming more clear as the days tick away.the sides are so far apart,that tanny is DONE with long term extention negotiations.it is time for plan b.make revis a 1 year offer that he shouldnt refuse.try to get him into camp,this year.if revis' camp smells a rat and figures out this is the only offer the jets will offer him ever,they might refuse.the jets then tell him to get comfortable because if they cant trade him,he wont play for 4 years.then the jets put revis on the trading blocks.see whats out there.as of right now,revis isnt playing this year anyways unless he gets what he wants.the jets wont give it to him,anyways.if the jets get a good enough offer for revis,great,trade him.if not,he plays madden all year on his xbox.

A one year contract is completely one sided in Revis favor. He gets guaranteed money and can walk next year.

I have an idea that is probably crazy for some reason I don't see. I don't blame Revis for wanting to be the highest paid DB in the game, because he is the best there is. And I don't blame the Jets for not chasing a ridiculous baseline (Aso's salary) set by a senile old fool (Al Davis) who isn't concerned with building a Super Bowl team.

So give Revis a fully guaranteed contract. Give him something less than Aso in total salary, but more than any other DB, but all guaranteed. Revis would have to love that financially, and it would truly distinguish him and satisfy his ego. And what is the downside for the Jets? There certainly is little risk in him not playing to expectations (he will probably get even better, if that is possible). And he is still young enough that you don't have to worry about him tailing off the last couple of years of his contract which is often the case with a big extention. And don't tell me Woody can't find the money which would have to be all paid out up front.

Problem solved. That is what I do. Solve problems. :P

The problem here (as best I understand it) is that expectations are that a new CBA will cut the cap (yeah right) and that the jets would then be on the books with Revis's huge salary for years to come thus crippling the team. I have wondered about the possibility of frontloading the contract this uncapped year so that this would not be a problem, but I think that the 30% rule prohibits this necessitating a payout over a longer period of time. So, this is really the snag in guaranteed money - part of the reason that the revis camp so thoroughly rejected the 100 million $ offer.

Best case scenario is really to renegotiate the remaining three years with the hopes of doing a long term deal after a new CBA is reached. Its a tough situation compounded by sean gilbert, Tanny's offer to redo the deal, PSL stadium crap, a possible lockout, the jets super high expectations and greedy agents ... but it also makes too much sense for both sides to come to some agreement to get Revis on the field this year. Sadly we fans just have to endure months of posturing. Even more unfortunate is that the jets remain without our secondary's best player.

I'm not gonna call anyone stupid (except maybe slats), but Mevis is bringing out the worst in everyone. Just what the Jets need right now, a toxic situation.

I'm not calling anybody stupid, but the way of think here by some his pure stupidity.

Archived