Woody says NO to Mevi$

Kentucky Jet

Hard Knocks asked to be at Roscoe's Diner for the Woody and the Revis agents 3 hour coffee klatch/negotiation session-Woody said fine and Revis' camp said no-that seems pretty telling from this outsiders viewpoint...

Jimmy, Woody wants to sell jerseys and hats and license plate covers. The agents want to get a deal done. I don't know that allowing the Hard Knocks cameras in on the negotiations helps close any deal. It just makes Woody seem like a dope, no?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tie the guaranteed money into the signing bonus.

Not true. The Texans just paid Andre Johnson HANDSOMELY.

Okay so all his guaranteed money is made in the first year? What happens when his family starves in year 2? Another hold out? Yeah why not, Jets caved the last 2 times.

Dude, the NFL is going the route of Slam Ball for the 2011 season.

Who knows what the salary cap is going be once all the dust settles.

Why not throw ALL the chips on the table?

The Jets owe that to us. Otherwise, it proves they were just blowing hot air to sell PSLs.

When was the exact moment that you were declared BRAIN DEAD? Sweet jumpin' Jesus on a phucking pogo stick! What chips you talking about? Doritos?

There in lies the problem!

Signing MEvi$ to his crazy Al Aso demands, could become a giant millstone around the neck of the Jets.

If they do it and fail to win it all this year, it will become a disaster!

No way should they risk it!

They brought in a slew of cast-offs this offseason, taking the ultimate boom/bust approach.

Why stop now? Especially with a homegrown guy who has proven to be an otherworldly talent.

..and broke his leg. The big difference is that Revis is already established as the type of player he's trying to be paid as, whereas Leon was banking on potential. Revis has significantly more leverage. The Leon thing was big to the players. They all saw what happened. There are no such things as "good faith contracts" with Tannenbaum. If the players didn't learn that with Pete Kendall and Chris Baker, they learned it when Leon's leg snapped. The mantra instantly became "Get Paid Up Front."

First, what do Darrelle Revis, Chris Baker, and Pete Kendell all have in common? They all have the same agent ... Neil Schwartz. The "Tannenbaum promised me a raise at the end of the year" thing is getting a little bit old, Neil. Can we come up with something different with the next client.

Second, I believe Mevi$ got "paid up front" for 6 years of service. We're in Year 4 of that contract.

Lastly, the only "good faith" that counts in business is what you agree to and sign up for. Otherwise, there's anarchy. Anyone arguing for Mevi$ "breaching his contract" and holding out is advocating that it's OK for any player, in every season, to do the same if he feels he's underpaid.

Who in the world DOESN'T feel they're underpaid these days?

So if Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene, David Harris, Nick Mangold, Bart Scott and 10 other starters on the team all conspired to hold the Jets hostage this year and break their word and their agreements by not showing up for camp, that would be OK? People would advocate that?

I don't get it.

Jimmy, Woody wants to sell jerseys and hats and license plate covers. The agents want to get a deal done. I don't know that allowing the Hard Knocks cameras in on the negotiations helps close any deal. It just makes Woody seem like a dope, no?

or it makes the Jets fans SEE which side is operating out of good faith and who actually IS being unreasonable-would have been illuminating television and would have been the impetus for mass Revis jersey burnings in the new stadium's parking lot next month I'm sure

When was the exact moment that you were declared BRAIN DEAD? Sweet jumpin' Jesus on a phucking pogo stick! What chips you talking about? Doritos?

Wait a second, Wait a second, Wait a second, Wait a second, Wait a second, Wait a second, Wait a second, Wait a second, Wait a second . . .

If you think a Supah Bowl — this year's overstated goal — is a possibility without Revis, you need to get LAWST.

They brought in a slew of cast-offs this offseason, taking the ultimate boom/bust approach.

Why stop now? Especially with a homegrown guy who has proven to be an otherworldly talent.

Because the slew of cast-offs this offseason is short term, MEvi$ is not a short term move.

The slew of cast-offs will not effect the future, giving MEvi$ what he wants (Crazy Al Aso Money) would!

or it makes the Jets fans SEE which side is operating out of good faith and who actually IS being unreasonable-would have been illuminating television and would have been the impetus for mass Revis jersey burnings in the new stadium's parking lot next month I'm sure

I'm still shocked that Woody would allow a Hard Knocks camera at that meeting. I'm trying to imagine Dan Rooney or Wellington Mara allowing that. Head-shaking! lol!

First, what do Darrelle Revis, Chris Baker, and Pete Kendell all have in common? They all have the same agent ... Neil Schwartz. The "Tannenbaum promised me a raise at the end of the year" thing is getting a little bit old, Neil. Can we come up with something different with the next client.

Second, I believe Mevi$ got "paid up front" for 6 years of service. We're in Year 4 of that contract.

Lastly, the only "good faith" that counts in business is what you agree to and sign up for. Otherwise, there's anarchy. Anyone arguing for Mevi$ "breaching his contract" and holding out is advocating that it's OK for any player, in every season, to do the same if he feels he's underpaid.

Who in the world DOESN'T feel they're underpaid these days?

So if Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene, David Harris, Nick Mangold, Bart Scott and 10 other starters on the team all conspired to hold the Jets hostage this year and break their word and their agreements by not showing up for camp, that would be OK? People would advocate that?

I don't get it.

As LionelRichie pointed out, that's on the NFLPA. Revis' value is sky-high right now and there's enough language in the contract (fines, etc.) that gives him the flexibility to hold out for more money the same way that there's enough language in the contract to allow the club to tear it to shreds the second the player doesn't pop up off the turf if need be. It's messy, sure, but I think, if we all knew we could only get paid at our jobs for 10 years, that we all wouldn't scratch and claw for the last penny in each one of those years.

I'm still shocked that Woody would allow a Hard Knocks camera at that meeting. I'm trying to imagine Dan Rooney or Wellington Mara allowing that. Head-shaking! lol!

I think it's actually a smart move by Woody.

It makes it seem like the Jets have nothing to hide in negotiations and as a result, makes Revis' side look like they know if details come out, they'll look like the unreasonable ones.

Shrewd.

It makes it seem like the Jets have nothing to hide in negotiations and as a result, makes Revis' side look like they know if details come out, they'll look like the unreasonable ones.

Shrewd.

and it's no ploy JW if you are the one allowing, no ENCOURAGING the access and they aren't. Woody WANTS the football world to see where he stands. I wonder how all the Pay The Man crowd would be feeling Wednesday night at 10 on HBO if it had been shown

Shrewd.

Exactly!

I only wish I could find the scene from Rocky, where he's telling Mickey the deal on the robe.

Shrewd!

Shrewd.

I wonder if brave ol' Woody would have let the cameras in the room when he was making the decision to gouge people with PSL's, or again when he had to put the PSL's on clearance to avoid humiliation. Now THAT would have been classic television.

I wonder if brave ol' Woody would have let the cameras in the room when he was making the decision to gouge people with PSL's, or again when he had to put the PSL's on clearance to avoid humiliation. Now THAT would have been classic television.

Nah, that would have been stupid. :lol:

Based on reports, Revis wants TWICE what Nnamdi Asomugha received.

Asomugha got a 3 year, $45 million contract. Because Asomugha is getting $16 million this year (although he made $14 million last year), Revis' camp insist that the PER YEAR average of the ENTIRE contract be $16 million.

That means on a 6 yr deal the total should be $96 million. Why do you think the Jets keep saying there is a fundamental difference on total compensation?

Revis was initially offered a 4 year $55 million extension which on top of the $21 million due over the next 3 years would be a total package of $76 million. Revis turned that down because the total per year average was only $10 million and not "Asomugha money."

Revis wants his extension plus the next 3 years to average $16 million per, so that any extension has to be in the 3 year $75 million or 4 year $91 million range. Why do you think there were early rumors that Revis wanted $20 million a year? Revis refuted that, but that was only on the total per year average. The extension has to be in the $20+ million per range in order for Revis to get what he wants: $16 million per on a 6 or 7 year total deal.

That's why Woody rejected the deal.

Asomugha got a 3 year, $45 million contract. Because Asomugha is getting $16 million this year (although he made $14 million last year), Revis' camp insist that the PER YEAR average of the ENTIRE contract be $16 million.

That means on a 6 yr deal the total should be $96 million. Why do you think the Jets keep saying there is a fundamental difference on total compensation?

Revis was initially offered a 4 year $55 million extension which on top of the $21 million due over the next 3 years would be a total package of $76 million. Revis turned that down because the total per year average was only $10 million and not "Asomugha money."

Revis wants his extension plus the next 3 years to average $16 million per, so that any extension has to be in the 3 year $75 million or 4 year $91 million range. Why do you think there were early rumors that Revis wanted $20 million a year? Revis refuted that, but that was only on the total per year average. The extension has to be in the $20+ million per range in order for Revis to get what he wants: $16 million per on a 6 or 7 year total deal.

As he should!

I can't believe anybody would want to see the Jets commit cap suicide like this!

As he should!

I can't believe anybody would want to see the Jets commit cap suicide like this!

let him sit out the season and trade his a$$ when it's over and like I said on page 1; just pretend that what happened to Elvis D of the Broncos happened to him and move on and try and get the best compensation for him

Who reported this?

let him sit out the season and trade his a$$ when it's over and like I said on page 1; just pretend that what happened to Elvis D of the Broncos happened to him and move on and try and get the best compensation for him

That's what will probably happen, and probably best for the team if MEvi$ won't be reasonable.

But part of me would want to see them let him rot for 4 years too!

That's what will probably happen, and probably best for the team if MEvi$ won't be reasonable.

But part of me would want to see them let him rot for 4 years too!

it would ruin this team's reputation league-wide. the Jets are not a stupid or spiteful organization-they are all business, whether some like it or not. You get what you can for a player of this caliber when you can get it, and there will be no better time than to trade a player some are calling the best CB maybe ever. This could work out in our favor.

whether we do or not this Jets fan is ready to move on without him. We'll get to see how much was really Revis and how much of his greatness was Rex Ryan's defensive schemes. It is what it is right now jw-I will just pretend he tore an ACL and is done for the year-same mindset as that when it happened to Jenkins and Leon last year

I think Revis has a much bigger impact than both of them both. Our defense will be much worse without him than people think .

Who reported this?

Daily News

New York Post

Star Ledger

Newsday

PFT

ESPN

etc.

All you had to do is actually pay attention to all the reports over the last 6 months to understand what was going on.

Also, as to the 4 yr $55 million initial offer by the Jets: Scoops at JI reported that. If anyone knows Scoops, he's an inside man in the NFL and he reports all the stuff early. His stuff is golden.

I'm gonna be 55 in October and I just don't know how many more seasons of football I have left to watch from the couch ya know?

We have a few bro ... but I hope Darrelle stops listening to a bitter guy who phucked up his own chances at true greatness through greed and ego and gets back to doing what he loves. I sure love him doing it.

it would ruin this team's reputation league-wide. the Jets are not a stupid or spiteful organization-they are all business, whether some like it or not. You get what you can for a player of this caliber when you can get it, and there will be no better time than to trade a player some are calling the best CB maybe ever. This could work out in our favor.

True, and if they know for sure that neither side will cave, then I hope they pull the trigger ASAP!

Daily News

New York Post

Star Ledger

Newsday

PFT

ESPN

etc.

All you had to do is actually pay attention to all the reports over the last 6 months to understand what was going on.

Also, as to the 4 yr $55 million initial offer by the Jets: Scoops at JI reported that. If anyone knows Scoops, he's an inside man in the NFL and he reports all the stuff early. His stuff is golden.

Oh, nobody.

Gotcha.

True, and if they know for sure that neither side will cave, then I hope they pull the trigger ASAP!

no like I said Brook, it would have to be after the 2010 season for sure just in case Mister Selfish gets his head screwed back on correctly by at least October. If not, yea-he's done in NY

We have a few bro ... but I hope Darrelle stops listening to a bitter guy who phucked up his own chances at true greatness through greed and ego and gets back to doing what he loves. I sure love him doing it.

me too which is why I've tried to get away from the being pissed off at him stage. I love Revis-as a Jet and WANT him back tomorrow, but I can see where this is headed and guess what, we'll be fine. better offense-better pass rush better corner opposite the #1-OK we still are stuck with Lowery and Coleman but maybe Jason Taylor can get those 10-12 sacks to offset some of those plays

This is all going to come down to guarantees, which means it really comes down to Woody's willingness to write a check.

Instead, our owner is acting like a clown.

White-collar Woody wears a white-on-white Jets ensemble to the ESPN interview. He then proceeds to complain about paying big bucks to his best player. I think this says it all.

Rex can get away with this kind of garbage — Woody can't.

Archived