The ***official*** CUT Brunell thread.

visajets

aint gonna happen.

I wanted him cut last week to free up roster spots, but after seeing him on the second HK, and how sanchez is soooooo young (giving the kid a hard time about breadsticks when you are filthy rich

I disagree he basically told Sanchez on national TV stay away from my daughter. So he prefers a drunken college bum over Sanchez?

aint gonna happen.

I wanted him cut last week to free up roster spots, but after seeing him on the second HK, and how sanchez is soooooo young (giving the kid a hard time about breadsticks when you are filthy rich

I can't edit this post. weird

anyhow, the second half of that post goes like this;

lets face it, if nacho goes down for any significant amount of time, it's time to start thinking about the knicks :o

so why cut the quarterback whisperer ?

The guy SUCKS. I dont see what he can do to mentor Sanchez. Im sure he did NOTHING to help Drew Brees win the Super Bowl but carry a clip board. I want him CUT.

Agreed.

If Rex really wanted to hire the person responsible fore Brees' success... he should have hired Brees. In he wasn't available, then Sean Payton would have sufficed.

This is the sh*ttiest backup we've ever had. Stop force feeding us this "Brunell is our #2 guy" crap coach, he cant tie Clemens' shoes at this point in his career.

Your kidding right ? Clemens cant see a blitz if his life depended on it. He has the worst pocket presence I have ever seen. Im shocked the panthers did not get him for a saftey. Its scary when your QB gets pancaked on a front side blitz right in his face and he never sees it coming. Un real how anyone can even think of comparing Clemens to a guy like Brunell. Sure hes old but as of right now hes not prepared to run this offense but I think he will be more comfortable come mid season. I guess you guys think he should just walk in and run an unfamiliar offense in 3 weeks.

The Jets obviously felt that having Clemens as the senior man at QB didn't work last year, so they made a command decision that they needed an old head in the mix. If the pecking order going into the regular season has Brunell as the #2, I hope they're flexible enough to go to Clemens if MB looks anything like what we've seen from him so far.

But really, I hope the Jets are flexible enough to abandon the Brunell move - especially if they see a QB hit the waiver wire this summer who has potential to be a decent backup.

The Jets obviously felt that having Clemens as the senior man at QB didn't work last year, so they made a command decision that they needed an old head in the mix. If the pecking order going into the regular season has Brunell as the #2, I hope they're flexible enough to go to Clemens if MB looks anything like what we've seen from him so far.

But really, I hope the Jets are flexible enough to abandon the Brunell move - especially if they see a QB hit the waiver wire this summer who has potential to be a decent backup.

Problem is we cant go with potential Slats we need a proven vet to run this offense if Sanchez goes down. How many of those are available ? jeff garcia and thats about it.

Problem is we cant go with potential Slats we need a proven vet to run this offense if Sanchez goes down. How many of those are available ? jeff garcia and thats about it.

Right now the first team offense looks like shyte. That's the bigger concern.

I realize the Jets have become the friends of the friendless with some of their pickups, but I really can't imagine Garcia being much of a plus. When I talk of cutting one of these guys, right now I mean Brunell. Let Clemens handle the #2 duties, and maybe find a diamond in the rough on the waiver wire. Or rewind back to '99 and have Brad Smith fill the Ray Lucas role if it comes to that.

I think the position is going to need to be overhauled next year. Maybe they can get a real veteran backup with having to deal with the final eight rules.

I read somewhere that Rex said he resisted having a vet backup last year and he admitted it was a mistake. He was of the "that's a QB coaches job" mentality. Rex said he can see the value in having a vet around to help Sanchez prepare and one of his moves when he took "control" of the offense was moving Cavanaugh out of the booth and down to the field. Having Brunell to help the kid get ready for the game and to talk to during the game may be invaluable even if the guy sucks. That's what Brees raved about.

I read somewhere that Rex said he resisted having a vet backup last year and he admitted it was a mistake. He was of the "that's a QB coaches job" mentality. Rex said he can see the value in having a vet around to help Sanchez prepare and one of his moves when he took "control" of the offense was moving Cavanaugh out of the booth and down to the field. Having Brunell to help the kid get ready for the game and to talk to during the game may be invaluable even if the guy sucks. That's what Brees raved about.

Exactly my point before. MB is there to provide guidance as player coach. Also, if it becomes a game situation, he only needs to manage the game and let the D do what they do.

We are a D team, not a QB driven team.

As long as the coached remember that, we will be fine.

The only one that makes sense for me is Kerry Collins, who was my 1st choice for backup with the early rumors of him being cut by the Titans in the offseason. It hasn't happened.

Garcia isn't an option. Garcia equally sucks and wants to start. He can't get a gig in the NFL right now. That should tell everyone something.

Ainge is in drug rehab and O'Connell sucks. That means Clemens is making the team by default. With that, who's the No. 2 and No. 3 is irrelevant. Both would be there and Clemens, if the No. 3, could enter the game in the 4th. Plus, they would have Brad Smith available for a 4th QB option.

This is the thing that kills me with Brunell and the Jets.I understand the mentor thing. I understand the role model thing but I don't understand why Brunell can't do this from the 3rd Q.B spot. Why is it a must this guy be a number 2?.. he's not number 2 material. I'd rather have Clemens in all his "garbageness" at 2 then the old stein.

I can't understand for the life of me why they are pushing Brunell for the 2 job. MAKE THEM EARN IT!

The only one that makes sense for me is Kerry Collins, who was my 1st choice for backup with the early rumors of him being cut by the Titans in the offseason. It hasn't happened.

Garcia isn't an option. Garcia equally sucks and wants to start. He can't get a gig in the NFL right now. That should tell everyone something.

Ainge is in drug rehab and O'Connell sucks. That means Clemens is making the team by default. With that, who's the No. 2 and No. 3 is irrelevant. Both would be there and Clemens, if the No. 3, could enter the game in the 4th. Plus, they would have Brad Smith available for a 4th QB option.

Pretty much

This is the thing that kills me with Brunell and the Jets.I understand the mentor thing. I understand the role model thing but I don't understand why Brunell can't do this from the 3rd Q.B spot. Why is it a must this guy be a number 2?.. he's not number 2 material. I'd rather have Clemens in all his "garbageness" at 2 then the old stein.

I can't understand for the life of me why they are pushing Brunell for the 2 job. MAKE THEM EARN IT!

Agree 100%.

Clemens looked better than Brunell again last night. No reason Brunell can't hold a clipboard with his hat on backwards to mentor Sanchez. I think I'd prefer Brad Smith to Mark Brunell much in the way I preferred Tom Tupa over Rick Mirer back in the day...

Hopefully they're looking at the position objectively.

Delhomme signed with the Browns to start. He wants to start, so there was no way he was an option.

Yep. He is also getting $12M over 2 with a $7M bonus and the Jets were allowed to sign him because of the Final 8 rules.

I agree they should make him earn it. Do we have any proof that is what they are doing? Maybe they will have Brunell as #3. If he continues to suck they should.

It may just come down to him being #2 so he can hold for FG's. If Sanchez gets hurt, we'll have to play up until the 4th quarter with Brunell. In the 4th quarter, and for every game going forward after that (if needed) they can still start Clemens.

Either way, the situation would suck big-time.

I don't buy this mentoring thing. KC was mentored by Pennington and it didn't help. As has been said, Matt Cavanaugh played QB in the NFL. If they need more experience than that arrange play dates between Sanchez and Boomer Esiason.

edit: all this talk about being mentored by a veteran. Than when the best player in team history tells Sanchez to change the way he receives the snap everyone working for the Jets looks at Namath like he's crazy. You can't have it both ways. So either do what the old guys say or stop pretending mentoring matters.

It may just come down to him being #2 so he can hold for FG's. If Sanchez gets hurt, we'll have to play up until the 4th quarter with Brunell. In the 4th quarter, and for every game going forward after that (if needed) they can still start Clemens.

Either way, the situation would suck big-time.

Holder might be pretty important. Clemens never seemed comfortable with it and Weatherford is not a threat to throw - remember the 6th INT vs. Buffalo.

Cole: Come on, some roles are more important than others. Isn’t the idea more than you don’t announce that one is more important and you make sure each person feels responsibility and appreciation?

Brees: You might say the holder on special teams … you initially say that’s one of the least thought about positions on the field, right? For us, that was Mark Brunell and he had to hold three of the biggest kicks for any of us in that Super Bowl game and he had to hold for the kick that got us through the NFC championship game. So the fact of the matter is that was as important as anybody.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-breesqa061710

Archived