A 1st rounder worse than Gholston

BroadwayJ667

Fair enough TS, but keep in mind the guy was constantly double-teamed all the time.

I still maintain that DFat was never a liability (which would equate to "pitiful") in the Jets defense, just that he never came close to the lofty expectations the Jets/Jets fans had for him.

One last thing though, he did win "Defensive Player of the Week" one time, right bit?

:face:

I really thought this was over.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a f*ckin gazillion guys like Gholston...most turn out to be your solid starter types...Not every first round pick, top 10 or not, is the next great superstar.

The Gholston bashing is slightly less understandable than it was before. He's played alright this year, and his only bad moment was the Favre juke. It was embarrassing and very typical of what we're used to seeing of Super Mega Bust, but really sh*t just happens sometimes.

For every DeMarcus Ware there's a dozen+ Vernon Gholstons...and even more Aaron Maybins...That's just how this works and it's why finding guys like that is considered to be so hard.

As far as DRob...I think he would have been great if they kept Ferguson around...at least up until that knee started becoming a factor. Alot of coaches had extremely high praise for DRob back in '04...I think Cowher or Gruden called him the best DT they faced that year.

The Gholston bashing is slightly less understandable than it was before. He's played alright this year.

Are you kidding me? He's played alright this year?

After 6 games, the friggn' #6 overall draft pick has a whopping 4 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 tackles behind the LOS, 0 forced fumbles, 0 fumble recoveries, 0 INT's and 0 QB pressures.

http://www.nfl.com/players/vernongholston/profile?id=GHO395377

After 6 games, the friggn' #6 overall draft pick has a whopping 4 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 tackles behind the LOS, 0 forced fumbles, 0 fumble recoveries, 0 INT's and 0 QB pressures.

http://www.nfl.com/p...le?id=GHO395377

Damn. Those are almost as bad as your trolling numbers this season.

http://www.nfl.com/players/vernongholston/profile?id=GHO395377

+1

we could have re-signed Marquis Douglas for a lot less money to do that.

That's not the situation, and I'm sure you know it.

If the Jets signed Douglas Gholston would still be on the roster...Kroul probably wouldn't be.

I know thats not the situation, but if we had Douglas in the same situation as Gholston, his stats would be better than 4 tackles.

I know thats not the situation, but if we had Douglas in the same situation as Gholston, his stats would be better than 4 tackles.

Still more complicated than that...Douglas making a few more tackles this year really isn't worth losing a young DL talent that Rex seems to like...Gholston or any of the other young guys.

Keep in mind that most DL guys don't even really hit their strides until they're 28/29...

Still more complicated than that...Douglas making a few more tackles this year really isn't worth losing a young DL talent that Rex seems to like...Gholston or any of the other young guys.

Keep in mind that most DL guys don't even really hit their strides until they're 28/29...

His head just doesn't seem to be in it though. I have no faith that he will hit his stride.

He doesn't seem to care that he's done nothing in 3 seasons, and he didn't care before last week.

How does one evaluate his care?

Edit: Also, no one has ever put Gholston in the lazy class...despite his lack of dominance in his first 3 years....and nowadays laziness is definitely something we'd hear about, especially since he's a top 10 pick.

How does one evaluate his care? No one has ever put Gholston in the lazy class...despite his lack of dominance in his first 3 years....and nowadays laziness is definitely something we'd hear about, especially since he's a top 10 pick.

His indifference to his performance makes it seem like he doesn't care. He lacks passion.

Well that you're not going to get it.

There doesn't seem like there's much to get. Forgive me, but "just look at him" can't be taken seriously as an evaluation tool for anything. I could use the same argument and say he's a future beast...Just look at him...he's ripped!

having lived through alot of draft busts and booms i still have hope for Gholston

with Drob, he played a ton, was being exploited at the point of attack and was part of the problem (bad defense)

with Gholston he's tough against the run, he's part of a very good defensive front as a rotational guy and special teams. (good defense)

i'd say his situation is more like Bryan Thomas who was stuck behind Ellis and Abraham (Ellis is still in front of Gholston) than a Drob who was starting, getting all the snaps, and still getting gauged against the run.

if the Jets sucked on D and Gholston was out there for all these snaps, I'd be more willing to accept his bust status. For now he's still an unknown quantity, who could explode any given Sunday. and if he never gets any better he still a useful football player for some other team. Belly or the Ravens would pick him up and turn trash into treasure.

How does one evaluate his care?

Edit: Also, no one has ever put Gholston in the lazy class...despite his lack of dominance in his first 3 years....and nowadays laziness is definitely something we'd hear about, especially since he's a top 10 pick.

Yeah you can't say Gholston doesn't care. He's always in shape. Lazy see JaMarcus Russel.

Now Gholston isn't passionate or perhaps he just doesn't have the skill

There doesn't seem like there's much to get. Forgive me, but "just look at him" can't be taken seriously as an evaluation tool for anything. I could use the same argument and say he's a future beast...Just look at him...he's ripped!

He's three years in and has shown absolute zero. You'd have to attribute it to a lack of talent, health, opportunity or desire. We know from Ohio State and the Combine that he has some talent, he's been healthy, he's played in different schemes at different positions and he has a coach that pretty much promised he'd make Gholston into Terrell Suggs, so it's not like he hasn't been given his chances. All that leaves is desire. What other excuse is there?

When Rex came in here he compared him to Terrell Suggs. Compare just his attitude to Terrell's. Suggs has an attitude a lot like Rex's. I'm not saying Gholston has to be like that, but never has this guy shown any emotion to the fact he's being labeled a bust by just about everyone.

Belly or the Ravens would pick him up and turn trash into treasure.

Dude, he's playing for Rex and Pettine who have historically been able to turn street free agents into big-time linebackers, and he's playing in a defense that makes Mike Devito and Jamaal Westerman look like studs. What is Belichick going to do with him? What is John Harbaugh gonna do with him that Rex doesn't?

Dude, he's playing for Rex and Pettine who have historically been able to turn street free agents into big-time linebackers, and he's playing in a defense that makes Mike Devito and Jamaal Westerman look like studs. What is Belichick going to do with him? What is John Harbaugh gonna do with him that Rex doesn't?

he's a rotational part of a 5-1 team that boasts a top 5 D. What's the complaint specifically? That his stats aren't better?

he's strong and tough. the guy can probably squat a small house. im not saying he's gonna be great, im saying it possible that he's useful. right now there are better players playing.

having lived through alot of draft busts and booms i still have hope for Gholston

with Drob, he played a ton, was being exploited at the point of attack and was part of the problem (bad defense)

with Gholston he's tough against the run, he's part of a very good defensive front as a rotational guy and special teams. (good defense)

i'd say his situation is more like Bryan Thomas who was stuck behind Ellis and Abraham (Ellis is still in front of Gholston) than a Drob who was starting, getting all the snaps, and still getting gauged against the run.

if the Jets sucked on D and Gholston was out there for all these snaps, I'd be more willing to accept his bust status. For now he's still an unknown quantity, who could explode any given Sunday. and if he never gets any better he still a useful football player for some other team. Belly or the Ravens would pick him up and turn trash into treasure.

Bryan Thomas' problem wasn't actually playing, but it was that he wasn't in playing shape. Gholston is in perfect shape. His problem aside from attitude is that he lacks moves, all he did at linebacker is run at the line. At DE he still can't get off the block well and get any pressure on the QB.

he's a rotational part of a 5-1 team that boasts a top 5 D. What's the complaint specifically? That his stats aren't better?

he's strong and tough. the guy can probably squat a small house. im not saying he's gonna be great, im saying it possible that he's useful. right now there are better players playing.

His stats are a good start. He's making well over $5 million this year and has 4 tackles. Like I said before we could have given Marquis Douglas $1 million to do what Gholston has done so far.

i agree with you a lack of moves is a legitimate gholston complaint. He doesn't shed blocks, and his "awareness" is a problem. he's got alot of flaws and alot to work on.

he's a real NFL football player tho. He can make a living doing what he's going right now. he's only going to get more snaps as he ages, and more experience. as Gato said there are many not amazing guys who make living in the league. As far as Jets all time draft busts go he's not even in the top 10. the guy is a player.

I also still hold out small hope cause of Pace, Vrabel, Farrior and many other defenders who don't get really good until after year 4.

there's a big difference between a 23-24 year old and a 27-28 year old. not saying it's gonna happen but at least admit it could.

When Rex came in here he compared him to Terrell Suggs. Compare just his attitude to Terrell's. Suggs has an attitude a lot like Rex's. I'm not saying Gholston has to be like that, but never has this guy shown any emotion to the fact he's being labeled a bust by just about everyone.

Actually, that sounds exactly like what you're saying. There's alot of holes in this argument. Really, the fact is Gholston hasn't produced. That can be quantified. You've showed me those numbers. I see your point with that and I fully agree with that point.

However, you could not know his feelings about anything without intimate contact. Seeing a person on TV for 90 seconds in a year is not a legitimate away to evaluate feelings. Most of the time he's wearing a helmet.

Two, you can't possibly blame his play on what you think his care is. He doesn't play poorly because he expresses his emotions in a way that dissatisfies you. It's just an opinion based on opinion based on opinion.

He's a 24 year old kid who got himself a big NFL contract 5 years into his football career. At 24 what person would enjoy the fact that no ones likes him because he sucks at his job?

Note: I didn't realize Gholston was only 24. 3 years into a career and only 24? Time's on his side, even if he's not going to become LT or Derrick Thomas or Charles Haley or DeMarcus Ware...he was never going to be those guys anyway because that is f'ing impossible.

Actually, that sounds exactly like what you're saying. There's alot of holes in this argument. Really, the fact is Gholston hasn't produced. That can be quantified. You've showed me those numbers. I see your point with that and I fully agree with that point.

It's not because he expresses his emotions in a way that dissatisfies you. You couldn't possibly prove that. It's just an opinion based on opinion based on opinion. He's a 24 year old kid who got himself a big NFL contract 5 years into his football career. At 24 what person would enjoy the fact that no ones likes him because he sucks at his job?

Note: I didn't realize Gholston was only 24. 3 years into a career and only 24? Time's on his side, even if he's not going to become LT or Derrick Thomas or Charles Haley or DeMarcus Ware...he was never going to be those guys anyway because that is also impossible.

No, he dosen't have to be brash and loud like that, but I want him to show some sort of emotion, something that shows me he cares, because so far he hasn't.

No, he dosen't have to be brash and loud like that, but I want him to show some sort of emotion, something that shows me he cares, because so far he hasn't.

Then email him and see if he'll spend some time with you so that you can better evaluate his emotions.

Also again...Douglas makes no sense for this team on many levels. We already have a bunch of old DL.

Then email him and see if he'll spend some time with you so that you can better evaluate his emotions.

Also again...Douglas makes no sense for this team on many levels. We already have a bunch of old DL.

He can play, Gholston can't, I'll take an old Marquis Douglas for another year or two.

Archived