A 1st rounder worse than Gholston

BroadwayJ667

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes well, you're not running the team, and it sounds like it's for good reason.

Ok genius, what makes Gholston better than Douglas? Douglas can play, Gholston is a waste of money and oxygen. He is worthless and will never amount to anything, but come on I'd like to hear your spin on the great Vernon Gholston.

Ok genius, what makes Gholston better than Douglas? Douglas can play, Gholston is a waste of money and oxygen. He is worthless and will never amount to anything, but come on I'd like to hear your spin on the great Vernon Gholston.

I'm not making any argument that Gholston is better than Douglas. I'm saying that Douglas doesn't make sense due to roster construction and the fact that he wouldn't kick Gholston off the roster. We're stuck with him for at least another season after this for better or worse.

I wouldn't call DFat a "pitiful" NFL player.

He was pretty consistent, started all the games and gave a pretty good effort game in and game out.

What he was not, was an All-Pro caliber DT who the Jets thought they were getting after giving up two 1st's and a 4th to move up and draft him. He never played up to those expectations.

If DFat was drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round, he would have been considered a very good player in his time with the Jets.

Gholston isn't 1/3rd the player Robertson was.

How sad is that?

He's three years in and has shown absolute zero. You'd have to attribute it to a lack of talent, health, opportunity or desire. We know from Ohio State and the Combine that he has some talent, he's been healthy, he's played in different schemes at different positions and he has a coach that pretty much promised he'd make Gholston into Terrell Suggs, so it's not like he hasn't been given his chances. All that leaves is desire. What other excuse is there?

The most damming thing that no one seems to have brought up is Jason Taylor.

We brought in a 36 year old Jet-Hater because Gholston isn't a good enough situational pass-rusher to be the 3rd guy.

So, for those (cough, cough) with the mantra that he's stuck behind good players, well, they brought in another guy to stick in front of him to keep him off the field even more.

Then email him and see if he'll spend some time with you so that you can better evaluate his emotions.

Also again...Douglas makes no sense for this team on many levels. We already have a bunch of old DL.

He doesn't show heart on the field.

You're right that you can't evaluate his interest based on seeing him on the sidelines... But on the field, he shows no heart or hustle. He's shown that he can stand near a pile.

When he's ultimately gone, I think we're going to hear dozens of players speaking 'on the condition of anonymity' about how awful he was, and if I had to guess, how little he cared.

As far as Jets all time draft busts go he's not even in the top 10. the guy is a player.

Dude, you're taking delusional to a new level here. Gholston might be the worst ever. Number f^cking one.

I really want to see this list of 10 bigger NY Jet busts than Gholston. Players taken in the same range of the draft who did less or worse on the field. Don't give me Blair Thomas or Lam Jones, either. They sucked, but did something out there.

I think you have to go all the way back to 1974's Carl Barzilawskas to find a bigger bust, and even that's debatable.

Dude, you're taking delusional to a new level here. Gholston might be the worst ever. Number f^cking one.

I really want to see this list of 10 bigger NY Jet busts than Gholston. Players taken in the same range of the draft who did less or worse on the field. Don't give me Blair Thomas or Lam Jones, either. They sucked, but did something out there.

I think you have to go all the way back to 1974's Carl Barzilawskas to find a bigger bust, and even that's debatable.

Wow, I agree with slats.

Gholston sucks, troll. This is no secret to any Jet fans. Do you think this actually scores trolling points?

But Andre Smith #6, 2009, is giving him a run for his money. Alex Smith and Pacman Jones could each make a case. Johnathan Sullivan is right there. So is Joey Harrington and Mike Williams (T).

Adding 4 more examples of top-10 suckitude. Amazingly, 3 of them are WRs. Even more amazingly, only one of these was a Millen draft pick.

2001: 1-8 David Terrell. 5-year career: 1,600 yds and 9 TDs

2003: 1-2 Charles Rogers. 3-year career: 440 yds and 3 TDs

2004: 1-2 Robert Gallery. Gave up dozens of sacks as a tackle. Became a decent guard, you say? A decent guard drated at the #2 slot.

2005: 1-7 Troy Williamson. 5-year career: 1,131 yds and 4 TDs

it's premature to declare a guy who just turned 24 in his 3rd NFL year a bust, let alone worst bust ever. if he retires we can look back on his career. Right now people are just making outlandish comments for the sake of being angry.

it's premature to declare a guy who just turned 24 in his 3rd NFL year a bust, let alone worst bust ever.

In 3 years, can you cite one play that Gholston has made where anybody can say "this guy has potential".

He has no football instincts whatsoever and does not like (self-admitting) contact.

The guy is a total bust.

it's premature to declare a guy who just turned 24 in his 3rd NFL year a bust, let alone worst bust ever. if he retires we can look back on his career. Right now people are just making outlandish comments for the sake of being angry.

It depends on how you define the term "Bust". I belive that any top ten pick should have an impact right away, that's why those top picks are there, so bad teams have the chance to add really good players. They don't have to set the world on fire in year one, and given their position it could take a couple years to round into form, but they should look like they belong. Gholston could be 24 or 54, he is not and will not be anthying more than a JAG in the NFL. Now if he was a 7th round pick or undrafted FA that would be fine, but he wasn't he was a top ten pick and therefor a bust. It happens alot more than I think people realize, the college game is not the NFL.

In 3 years, can you cite one play that Gholston has made where anybody can say "this guy has potential".

I can in fact point to several good plays but what's the point? they aren't sacks so the statements will get shredded.

as a side note people who defend Slauson like to point at Faneca's "pressures" or "hurries" as a sign he's bad. (even tho Faneca gave up far less sacks than Slauson).

But Gholston's hurries don't mean jack. it just depends on what point you want to prove i guess.

I can in fact point to several good plays but what's the point? they aren't sacks so the statements will get shredded.

as a side note people who defend Slauson like to point at Faneca's "pressures" or "hurries" as a sign he's bad. (even tho Faneca gave up far less sacks than Slauson).

But Gholston's hurries don't mean jack. it just depends on what point you want to prove i guess.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, are you saying that Gholston was worth the 6th pick overall because he's had some qb hurries???

But it's not too early to declare that there are 10 other players drafted in the history of the NY Jets who are worse? Even though he's done nothing.

Who are these 10 players who have done less?

You want to use Slauson as a counter point but it has no validity.

Slauson was a known project from day one that has begun to pay dividends.

Gholston was drafted 6th, was expected to be a premier defender, given millions and has produced nada.

Gholston's hurries? How do you even type that nonsense with a straight face????

You want to use Slauson as a counter point but it has no validity.

Slauson was a known project from day one that has begun to pay dividends.

Gholston was drafted 6th, was expected to be a premier defender, given millions and has produced nada.

Gholston's hurries? How do you even type that nonsense with a straight face????

I seem to remember Bit holding on to the "D Robertson is young and still developing" line for about 5 years if that's any indication of how long he'll hold this idea. Which is funny looking back because at least D Robertson got Defensive player of the week once, far more than Gholston will ever get.

I seem to remember Bit holding on to the "D Robertson is young and still developing" line for about 5 years if that's any indication of how long he'll hold this idea. Which is funny looking back because at least D Robertson got Defensive player of the week once, far more than Gholston will ever get.

D Rob was damaged goods. NYJ did not heed the warnings neg potential etc before drafting him. It was amazing he played as long as he did on that knee.

Hey the Jets threw cash at D Rob and he accepted it. Maybe it was dishonest knowing what he knew about his condition but who would have done differently? Gholston has no excuses except that he is not a very good pro.

BTW,

Im convinced only Mangini wanted Gholston and this is one of the reasons he got canned.

More importantly, Can anybody name ANY NFL franchise that does not have high draft picks that failed on their draft resume?

Some teams are worse than others, Lions? Raiders? Im thinking the NYJ are probably somewhere near the league average. (if one could be reasonably computed)

i learned alot from the Drob situation. I was wrong about him and it was 7 years ago. Gholston is not Drob.

Agreed the Jets actually got something out of D-Rob. It's really no skin off anyone's nose if you keep holding out for Gholston to become something but the reality is he sucks, actually he would have to improve alot to get to the point of sucking.

BTW,

Im convinced only Mangini wanted Gholston and this is one of the reasons he got canned.

More importantly, Can anybody name ANY NFL franchise that does not have high draft picks that failed on their draft resume?

Some teams are worse than others, Lions? Raiders? Im thinking the NYJ are probably somewhere near the league average. (if one could be reasonably computed)

For years we were below average. Lately we've been above. I guess over the last 15 years or so, you could say it evened out.

We did have a particularly bad stretch between 1986 (year after Al Toon) and 1992 (year before Marvin Jones).

1986 22 Mike Haight T/G Iowa 7 6

1987 21 Roger Vick FB Texas A&M 3 1

1988 8 Dave Cadigan T/G USC 6 5

1989 14 Jeff Lageman LB Virginia 10 6

1990 2 Blair Thomas RB Penn State 6 4

1991 No draft pick [19]

1992 15 Johnny Mitchell TE Nebraska 6 4

Literally nothing to show for seven consecutive 1st rounds

Interesting side note (to me at least).

A quick glance at the entire 2000 draft first round, I think there are 10 players out of the 32 still in the league currently.

Four of the 10 were all the Jets picks.

The rest are:

Thomas Jones

Brian Urlacher

Julian Peterson

Sebastian Janikowski

Chris Hovan

Keith Bulluck

Gholston was the 6th overall pick now in his 3rd year, Slauson was a 6th round pick now in his 2nd year who no one thought would even be starting this year. Comparing the two does not help your argument because Slauson is playing closer to a first rounder than Gholston is.

And I'd like to know of some of these great Gholston plays. BTW preseason doesn't count.

Archived