Red Sox close on acquiring Adrian Gonzalez

CrazyCarl40

Sources: Adrian Gonzalez to Red SoxEmail Print Comments21 ESPN.com news services

The Boston Red Sox have agreed to a deal in principle to acquire slugging first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Saturday morning.

The Red Sox have received permission from Major League Baseball to negotiate with Gonzalez on a new contract, the sources said, and Gonzalez's physical examination, one of last hurdles to the deal, could happen Saturday, when Gonzalez was expected to be in Boston.

The Padres would not receive any established major league players in the trade, but it's likely the Red Sox would include their top pitching prospect, Casey Kelly, in the trade, sources have said.

Gonzalez is the Padres' most popular player, with great crossover appeal to the team's Mexican-American market, a native son who carried San Diego to within a game of a playoff spot in 2010.

He is signed through 2011 at $6.3 million. The Padres exercised his 2011 option on Nov. 1. His contract called for a $5.5 million salary, but performance bonuses pushed the figure above $6 million.

Acquiring Gonzalez, while signing one of two free-agent outfielders, Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth, would give the Red Sox their most potent offensive lineup since the Manny Ramirez trade to the Dodgers in 2008 and make clear why they were willing to lose free agents Victor Martinez and potentially Adrian Beltre.

The Red Sox have long coveted the 28-year-old Gonzalez. As far back as the 2009 trading deadline, the Red Sox made a pitch for Gonzalez, a three-time All-Star who last season finished fourth in balloting for the National League's Most Valuable Player.

The 6-foot-2, 225-pound left-handed hitter batted .298 with 31 home runs and 101 RBIs for the Padres last season. He finished fifth in the National League in on-base percentage (.393), ninth in slugging (.511) and led the league in hitting with runners in scoring position (.407). Opposing pitchers issued 35 intentional walks to Gonzalez last season, a number exceeded only by Albert Pujols.

In addition to his offensive prowess, Gonzalez is a gifted defender, having won two Gold Gloves in five full seasons.

Depending on the price tage, probably some really good prospects, this will be interesting. Need to get him signed long term.

Robbing a small market team of their best talent once again. Red Sox are ruining the game.

Ha! Good one!

Acquiring talent via trade is nothing like acquiring talent via free agency. It's not like the Sox aren't going to be giving a ton back to the Padres.

Sox get a prime of his career middle of the lineup hitter to put between Pedroia and Youk for the next 5-6 years. Just need to strengthen the bullpen, which might happen in this trade as well if they get Heath Bell.

Ha! Good one!

Acquiring talent via trade is nothing like acquiring talent via free agency. It's not like the Sox aren't going to be giving a ton back to the Padres.

Sox get a prime of his career middle of the lineup hitter to put between Pedroia and Youk for the next 5-6 years. Just need to strengthen the bullpen, which might happen in this trade as well if they get Heath Bell.

Beltre will be missed but this guy is a monstor and "should" improve on already great numbers playing in Boston. One of the most under the radar stars in the game today. Wish the Mets had sent Davis plus prospects packing for Gonzalez. We also traded the Pods Heath Bell a few years back. Oh well, at least the Jets have straightened their FO out.

Beltre will be missed but this guy is a monstor and "should" improve on already great numbers playing in Boston. One of the most under the radar stars in the game today. Wish the Mets had sent Davis plus prospects packing for Gonzalez. We also traded the Pods Heath Bell a few years back. Oh well, at least the Jets have straightened their FO out.

No one's concerned. They'll lose Martinez and Beltre and gain Gonzalez and Werth. Not a major upgrade, while giving up a ton of young talent. And they'll have to shell out $125 million to lock up a guy coming off shoulder surgery. Meanwhile Papi gets a year older and further removed from roid usage.

What the Rays and the other playoff teams up to is what I'm worried about.

No one's concerned. They'll lose Martinez and Beltre and gain Gonzalez and Werth. Not a major upgrade, while giving up a ton of young talent. And they'll have to shell out $125 million to lock up a guy coming off shoulder surgery. Meanwhile Papi gets a year older and further removed from roid usage.

What the Rays and the other playoff teams up to is what I'm worried about.

3 prospects is a ton of young talent? They are getting back two picks in this draft, a very deep one, just for Martinez. 2 more when Beltre signs. Yeah, really losing a "ton of young talent".

As far as 125 million to lock up a guy coming off shoulder surgery. He's one of the best 1B in the game, is only 28 and everything with his shoulder went fine in the physical. He's coming to a hitters ballpark and into the prime of his career.

Also, they're going to be getting everyone back from injury from last season. Hopefully Lester and Buchholz continue to flourish and the back end guys have bounce back seasons.

So, yeah, don't be worried about the Red Sox. I'm sure Brian Cashman and the Yankees will worry enough for you.

3 prospects is a ton of young talent? They are getting back two picks in this draft, a very deep one, just for Martinez. 2 more when Beltre signs. Yeah, really losing a "ton of young talent".

As far as 125 million to lock up a guy coming off shoulder surgery. He's one of the best 1B in the game, is only 28 and everything with his shoulder went fine in the physical. He's coming to a hitters ballpark and into the prime of his career.

Also, they're going to be getting everyone back from injury from last season. Hopefully Lester and Buchholz continue to flourish and the back end guys have bounce back seasons.

So, yeah, don't be worried about the Red Sox. I'm sure Brian Cashman and the Yankees will worry enough for you.

damn a burrrn

Casey Kelly is by far the most overrated prospect in the game. Good for the Soxs, this erases the sting of losing out on Teixeira, who I don't think is as good as Gonzalez. He's going to be a monster in Fenway, with much better hitters around him. Red Sox lineup will be healthy next year with one of the best rotations in the game....they will be hard to beat. Cliff Lee is now a must sign.

Great haul for the Padres to be honest...all 3 guys have franchise type talent at their positions and both Boston and San Diego are organizations who have sought to understand player development better over the past decade. I'm particularly high on Fuentes, who could be a big time CF and his game fits well with Petco...and I'm much more high on Kelly in Petco too.

Win for both teams...Red Sox lineup gets a big time bat during his prime years...plus their starting 5 is deep as hell with Lester/Beckett/Matsuzaka/Buchholz/Lackey...AL East baseball ftw.

Yeah, not that concerned when a 3rd place team gives up three good prospects to only effectively replace a bat that they already lost to free agency. It's a net loss that doesn't improve the lineup much over last year while impacting the team in the future negatively.

Fact remains that the Sox rotation still is set with a strong #1 in Lester, a good young guy in Buchholz, but then Beckett in tailspin, and collosal wastes of money in Dice K and Lackey. Kelly would've taken one of those spots real soon.

Fact remains that their bullpen blows.

Fact remains that Papi is over.

The lineup is lefty heavy right now, although I do expect them to sign Werth. But I still think they'll struggle against lefties. Not a good thing in a division with Price on the Rays, and Lee, Sabathia and Pettitte on the Yankees.

Yeah, not that concerned when a 3rd place team gives up three good prospects to only effectively replace a bat that they already lost to free agency. It's a net loss that doesn't improve the lineup much over last year while impacting the team in the future negatively.

Fact remains that the Sox rotation still is set with a strong #1 in Lester, a good young guy in Buchholz, but then Beckett in tailspin, and collosal wastes of money in Dice K and Lackey. Kelly would've taken one of those spots real soon.

Fact remains that their bullpen blows.

Fact remains that Papi is over.

The lineup is lefty heavy right now, although I do expect them to sign Werth. But I still think they'll struggle against lefties. Not a good thing in a division with Price on the Rays, and Lee, Sabathia and Pettitte on the Yankees.

Oh where to start with this mindless drivel. The Red Sox were devasted with injuries last year and still almost won 90 games. Gonzalez is a better hitter than either Martinez or Beltre. Losing three good prospects, whom haven't proven anything, for a talent like Gonzalez is a price you have to pay. They traded Hanley Ramirez for Beckett and Lowell and won the World Series in 07. Plus, I'm sure there are other moves yet to be made. What they are, we'll soon see.

How are Lackey and Dice-K wastes of money? Dice-K has a ring and was huge that season. Lackey's season last year wasn't great, but then again it takes some time to adjust to pitching in the AL East and in Boston. Casey Kelly is a great prospect, but not a guarentee. Plus they have a plethora of picks to restock the whopping three players they lost.

The bullpen has yet to be formed for next season, so that remains to be seen.

Papi is over? .900 OPS with 32 homers and 102 RBIs last season is over? Really? He doesn't hit that well vs. lefties anymore, but the dude can still hit.

I didn't know Cliff Lee signed with the Yankees. Wishful thinking at this point.

Any Yankees fan that says they aren't worried about the Red Sox is lying to themselves.

Oh where to start with this mindless drivel. The Red Sox were devasted with injuries last year and still almost won 90 games. Gonzalez is a better hitter than either Martinez or Beltre. Losing three good prospects, whom haven't proven anything, for a talent like Gonzalez is a price you have to pay. They traded Hanley Ramirez for Beckett and Lowell and won the World Series in 07. Plus, I'm sure there are other moves yet to be made. What they are, we'll soon see.

How are Lackey and Dice-K wastes of money? Dice-K has a ring and was huge that season. Lackey's season last year wasn't great, but then again it takes some time to adjust to pitching in the AL East and in Boston. Casey Kelly is a great prospect, but not a guarentee. Plus they have a plethora of picks to restock the whopping three players they lost.

The bullpen has yet to be formed for next season, so that remains to be seen.

Papi is over? .900 OPS with 32 homers and 102 RBIs last season is over? Really? He doesn't hit that well vs. lefties anymore, but the dude can still hit.

I didn't know Cliff Lee signed with the Yankees. Wishful thinking at this point.

Any Yankees fan that says they aren't worried about the Red Sox is lying to themselves.

Fact: The Red Sox in 2010 finished closer to the 4th place Toronto Blue Jays in the standings than they did to the Yankees. Better watch their back.

Fact: Injuries are the world's worst excuse for failure, especially since they happen to everyone.

Fact: The fact that Dice K won a championship years ago means nothing in 2011 and forward.

Fact: Because the Beckett trade worked out well years ago has absolutely no bearing on this one.

Fact: You're the first Sox fan I've heard on record thinking that at this point the Dice K and Lackey contracts are good ones.

Fact: An "unformed" bullpen is a weakness no matter what you think might happen.

Fact: With Werth signing in DC, how are the Sox going to fare against lefties? With Werth's new deal, how much are the Sox going to have to pay Adrian and/or an outfielder free agent?

Fact: The Red Sox in 2010 finished closer to the 4th place Toronto Blue Jays in the standings than they did to the Yankees. Better watch their back.

Fact: Injuries are the world's worst excuse for failure, especially since they happen to everyone.

Fact: The fact that Dice K won a championship years ago means nothing in 2011 and forward.

Fact: Because the Beckett trade worked out well years ago has absolutely no bearing on this one.

Fact: You're the first Sox fan I've heard on record thinking that at this point the Dice K and Lackey contracts are good ones.

Fact: An "unformed" bullpen is a weakness no matter what you think might happen.

Fact: With Werth signing in DC, how are the Sox going to fare against lefties? With Werth's new deal, how much are the Sox going to have to pay Adrian and/or an outfielder free agent?

Fact: You don't know what the word fact means.

Fact: The AJ Burnett/Carl Pavano/Kei Igawa/etc deals make Dice-K and Lackey look like steals.

The Sox will pay Gonzalez something like the Yankees paid Teixeira.

Fact: Injuries are not an excuse when you are missing 5/9ths of your opening day starting roster for good stretches of the season. Most Yankees fans here even said the injuries were outrageous. It was a fluke.

Fact: Before most of the injuries hit, the Sox were 1 game back of the Yankees in July.

Keep on sleeping on the Red Sox, like the Yankees did in October 2004.

Fact: The AJ Burnett/Carl Pavano/Kei Igawa/etc deals make Dice-K and Lackey look like steals.

What about the Julio Lugo and Matt Clement deals? Lets not pretend boy wonder hasn't made mistakes. The Red Sox by the way wanted Pavano bad.

What about the Julio Lugo and Matt Clement deals? Lets not pretend boy wonder hasn't made mistakes. The Red Sox by the way wanted Pavano bad.

Lugo was bad, yes. Matt Clement was decent the first season, took a line drive to the head and was never the same again. Yes, Theo has made some contractual errors. Everyone does. I never said he hasn't.

The Sox will pay Gonzalez something like the Yankees paid Teixeira.

Fact: Injuries are not an excuse when you are missing 5/9ths of your opening day starting roster for good stretches of the season. Most Yankees fans here even said the injuries were outrageous. It was a fluke.

Fact: Before most of the injuries hit, the Sox were 1 game back of the Yankees in July.

Keep on sleeping on the Red Sox, like the Yankees did in October 2004.

It's like you're retarded. Are Pavano and Igawa in the Yankees rotation? WTF do they have to do with Dice K and Lackey? Answer: absolutely nothing.

Whatever Gonzalez gets, he doesn't overcome the loss of both Martinez and Beltre. Nor does he fix the back of your rotation or bullpen.

The standings in July mean nothing. The ones in October do.

Just go to a Blue Jays board. That's who you need to be talking to.

It's like you're retarded. Are Pavano and Igawa in the Yankees rotation? WTF do they have to do with Dice K and Lackey? Answer: absolutely nothing.

Whatever Gonzalez gets, he doesn't overcome the loss of both Martinez and Beltre. Nor does he fix the back of your rotation or bullpen.

The standings in July mean nothing. The ones in October do.

Just go to a Blue Jays board. That's who you need to be talking to.

Why do Yankees fans throw insults so quickly? Can't you come up with some stats or something that has value and not just sling insults?

Gonzalez will make up for Beltre and Martinez by his presence and his bat. The offseason isn't over either. So let's judge on December 6th and not opening day. That makes sense.

He doesn't fix the back of the rotation, but it's not broken. Beckett pitched injured, Lackey was adjusting and Dice-K is still a better 5th starter than most could hope for. The bullpen is a work in progress, but so is everyone's at this point. The Yankees bullpen outside of Rivera is questionable. The Yankees rotation right now is CC and a bunch of question marks. So, why don't you worry about your own team for a bit.

This isn't a Yankees board. It's a major league baseball board. Just sayin'.

Why do Yankees fans throw insults so quickly? Can't you come up with some stats or something that has value and not just sling insults?

Gonzalez will make up for Beltre and Martinez by his presence and his bat. The offseason isn't over either. So let's judge on December 6th and not opening day. That makes sense.

He doesn't fix the back of the rotation, but it's not broken. Beckett pitched injured, Lackey was adjusting and Dice-K is still a better 5th starter than most could hope for. The bullpen is a work in progress, but so is everyone's at this point. The Yankees bullpen outside of Rivera is questionable. The Yankees rotation right now is CC and a bunch of question marks. So, why don't you worry about your own team for a bit.

This isn't a Yankees board. It's a major league baseball board. Just sayin'.

Again, you need to stop bringing up the Yankees and comparing your team to them. Teams that play in the ALCS are not comparable to teams that finish 3 games out of 4th place and have regressed since. You really should compare to the Blue Jays in the race for third place here in 2011. Try to be realistic for a change.

Again, you need to stop bringing up the Yankees and comparing your team to them. Teams that play in the ALCS are not comparable to teams that finish 3 games out of 4th place and have regressed since. You really should compare to the Blue Jays in the race for third place here in 2011. Try to be realistic for a change.

19 posts and you've already proven you can't have an adult conversation. I'll pay attention to you again when you actually have something worthy to reply to. That might be a while.

19 posts and you've already proven you can't have an adult conversation. I'll pay attention to you again when you actually have something worthy to reply to. That might be a while.

Ignoring reality won't make it go away.

I've done nothing but bring you facts. Like the fact that Boston finished closer to 4th place than they did to the playoffs. I've directly addressed the Sox roster. All you've done is rant and rave about things that have nothing to do with the Sox like Carl Pavano and Kei Igawa. You're focusing on the Yankees too much. I get that its Red Sox fan nature, but I strongly encourage you to try to understand this game and realize there are other teams around too. Like the Blue Jays.

Regressed? Sox will be better just by being healthy this year. Beltre obviously was let go as with Gonzo they no longer have a position for him. VMart was a 1/2 year rental....Sox get their 2b back along with their CF plus a full year of Lowrie and Youk.

I love their SP staff.

As a Mets fan, very envious. If healthy they will be a AL East threat again.

Archived