Chad Pennington 50/50 On Retirement

idahojetsfan

Pennington Discusses Future

Quarterback Chad Pennington addressed the media Wednesday for the first time since sustained a shoulder injury that would end his 2010 season. The big question when it comes to Pennington, of course, is whether the injury has ended his career. Pennington says he has no doubt he can come back from what will be his fourth shoulder surgery, but there's more to it than that.

Pennington says he's probably 50-50 right now on whether to continue his playing career.

"There's no doubt I can come back," he said. "But I have to weight whether I'd be a liability or an asset."

Pennington's surgery is scheduled for Friday and will be performed by the famous Dr. James Andrews.

After the procedure, Andrews will talk to Pennington about the damage to his shoulder and what his long-term prognosis will be.

As Pennington joked on Wednesday, he doesn't want to be on a plane in a few years and reaching to pick up luggage, only to have his shoulder pop out of place again.

That's what happened when Pennington was injured in the game against Tennessee back on Nov. 14.

Pennington says he was hurt when his arm hit offensive tackle Jake Long on his first pass of the game. The quarterback said he felt the shoulder pop out, but he was able to pop it back in himself.

When he put his hand on his helmet seconds later, the shoulder popped out again.

Pennington said he then asked Ronnie Brown to pop the shoulder back in, the quarterback joking that Brown was afraid to do it.

Brown himself said the day after Pennington's injury that he was scared of injuring his quarterback even more.

These days, Pennington is still around the Dolphins, spending about three hours every night with the other quarterbacks breaking down film. He's also been on the sideline for the home games against Chicago and Cleveland.

If Pennington does decide to retire, he'll have some options. They include getting his master's degree, coaching, broadcasting and working with his foundation.

Pennington's father was a high school for 30 years, and Pennington says he can see pros and cons of coaching at all three levels — high school, college and pro.

But all those decisions will wait.

For now, Pennington will continue to do what he can to help out Henne while awaiting a visit from relatives for Christmas.

"I'm going to take a few months to digest it and make the right decision," Pennington said. "Once I make my decision, there'll be no turning back."

Pennington: I'm "50-50" on retirement

Chad Pennington isn’t ready to walk away from the game just yet.

The injured Dolphins QB told Miami reporters Wednesday that he’ll undergo shoulder surgery Friday and he’s “50-50” on whether he’ll retire.

The former Jet – who made his debut last month vs. Tennessee, hurt his shoulder on the first play and was ruled out for the season -- is scheduled to undergo surgery on his throwing shoulder for a fourth time in Pensacola.

“I feel like this is the best thing for me to do whether I play again or not, just so I can guarantee myself a better quality of life,” he told reporters. “If I decide not to play I don’t want to not have surgery and then five years down the road be doing something normal and then be putting a thing of luggage in the luggage rack on a plane or something and my shoulder fall out of place. That wouldn’t be good.”

Pennington, 34, also said “there’s no doubt I can come back,” but he’d have to determine “whether I’d be a liability or an asset.”

Pennington, 34, also said “there’s no doubt I can come back,” but he’d have to determine “whether I’d be a liability or an asset.”

Dude.. by that criteria you should've retired after the 02 season

Retire Chad. Id hate to see you injure your shoulder beyond repair. Maybe the NYJETS would hire you as a QB coach.

No thank you.

Dude.. by that criteria you should've retired after the 02 season

Bazinga!

Pennington will make a damn good coach if he tries coaching.

Coming from you, this seems about right.

What about a backup to Sanchez for the 2011 season.

Again I say no thank you.

Coming from you, this seems about right.

Have no fear...when he's the Jets OC in 2016 we can go back to the days when the #1 reason to boo Pennington was because he was a Jets employee. Imagine a guy as irrationally disliked as Pennington taking on the most irrationally hated coaching spot on the team...I doubt he breaks hte long lineage of coaches who don't come up with perfect gameplans, build perfect rhythms, and can't even come close to the perfect playcall.

Have no fear...when he's the Jets OC in 2016 we can go back to the days when the #1 reason to boo Pennington was because he was a Jets employee. Imagine a guy as irrationally disliked as Pennington taking on the most irrationally hated coaching spot on the team...I doubt he breaks hte long lineage of coaches who don't come up with perfect gameplans, build perfect rhythms, and can't even come close to the perfect playcall.

To be clear, just because you refuse to acknowledge the rationale doesn't make it irrational. Both of those men have more then earned their place amongst Jets fans 10 times over. Then again, given you grew up in the age of there is no such thing as failure and everyone's a winner, so you are probably on board with smashmouth that they should be praised because they try really, really hard. Maybe we should just slap a participation ribbon on their chests, pat them on the back and cheer really hard to make them feel better about how much they suck at their respective jobs.

To be clear, just because you refuse to acknowledge the rationale doesn't make it irrational. Both of those men have more then earned their place amongst Jets fans 10 times over. Then again, given you grew up in the age of there is no such thing as failure and everyone's a winner, so you are probably on board with smashmouth that they should be praised because they try really, really hard. Maybe we should just slap a participation ribbon on their chests, pat them on the back and cheer really hard to make them feel better about how much they suck at their respective jobs.

Chad Pennington "earned his play amongst Jets fans 10 times over" by getting injured...These people...salt of the earth that they are...growing up all tough and knowing that WINNING is all that counts...went and boo'd him on one of those injuries....excuse me if I never failed to understand what exactly he did to be treated like he got treated by the fanbase...all he did was take the money that was offered to him...not his fault the Jets chose to pay him AFTER a major shoulder surgery.

Why assume I don't understand your super complex rationale for hatred simply because I disagree with it? I just straight never liked how Pennington got treated by the fans. I thought it was dumb...I apologize if that makes me some kind of pussy who didn't grow up with the right way of looking at the world.

That worst part to me is that Pennington's the type of guy who'd probably say "oh I understand how they feel...they just wanted to win."

Bleedin you got me wrong about that, I hate the "everyone always wins age" I think its moronic. What my arguement was about Pennington .... I felt he was a smart QB that was never surounded with the talent he should have been. That simple/

Chad Pennington "earned his play amongst Jets fans 10 times over" by getting injured...These people...salt of the earth that they are...growing up all tough and knowing that WINNING is all that counts...went and boo'd him on one of those injuries....excuse me if I never failed to understand what exactly he did to be treated like he got treated by the fanbase...all he did was take the money that was offered to him...not his fault the Jets chose to pay him AFTER a major shoulder surgery.

Why assume I don't understand your super complex rationale for hatred simply because I disagree with it? I just straight never liked how Pennington got treated by the fans. I thought it was dumb...I apologize if that makes me some kind of pussy who didn't grow up with the right way of looking at the world.

That worst part to me is that Pennington's the type of guy who'd probably say "oh I understand how they feel...they just wanted to win."

The obsessive need some of you people have to put this guy on some sort of pedestal is borderline creepy. Your last line is proof positive of that. Give me a break.

The fact that you insist that Pennington's issues are based solely on injuries just further proves that no, you don't understand the rationale many of us had. I'm still not sure what some fans booing Chad when he got hurt has to do with anything though, as that has nothing to do with whether or not he was a good QB. What's your point, I should feel bad that some other people I don't even know boo'ed him and that should now suddenly make me change my opinion on him as a player?

Bleedin you got me wrong about that, I hate the "everyone always wins age" I think its moronic. What my arguement was about Pennington .... I felt he was a smart QB that was never surounded with the talent he should have been. That simple/

Fair enough, I was really just busting some balls anyway. Glad to hear that's your opinion on that though. :P

The obsessive need some of you people have to put this guy on some sort of pedestal is borderline creepy. Your last line is proof positive of that. Give me a break.

What pedestal? I'm not calling the guy a great anything...I just think the hate he receives is irrational.

The fact that you insist that Pennington's issues are based solely on injuries just further proves that no, you don't understand the rationale many of us had. I'm still not sure what some fans booing Chad when he got hurt has to do with anything though, as that has nothing to do with whether or not he was a good QB. What's your point, I should feel bad that some other people I don't even know boo'ed him and that should now suddenly make me change my opinion on him as a player?

The Jets shouldn't have paid him after he got hurt. They did anyway. He did what any rational human being would do when someone idiot hands them 64 million AFTER an injury affects their job performance dramatically...he took it. I guess that's a reason to boo but the hatred for Pennington exists only because this franchise has spent a good part of the past 40 years being amongst the worst in the sport in almost every facet...particularly decision making.

The people who hate Pennington always reach for this "it's not the INJURIES it's the fact that he SUCKED"...no sh*t he sucked...he was the first guy to even successfully come back to the pros with his type of injury...what mentally there human being would expect him to be REALLY good on top of that?

Chad Pennington is your classic scapegoat...The face of a really, really dumb company who took the tomatoes thrown because the company had no idea what to do after he initially went down besides throw a crapload of money into fixing him and trying to recapture the magic of his 2002 season...Hating the guy requires ignoring 90% of the Chad Pennington story to focus on the worst 10%...Not going to happen.

It's just so bizarre that the Pennington debate still rages based primarily on hypotheticals.

His career is essentially over. Yes, he leads everyone in career compl. % but everyone he is ahead of (1) has more wins, (2) has more playoff wins, and (3) was more durable.

In other words, Chad was a statistical anomaly. He didn't suck, but he wasn't very good either. On his best days he was merely good and on his worst he didn't deserve to be on the field.

What pedestal? I'm not calling the guy a great anything...I just think the hate he receives is irrational.

The Jets shouldn't have paid him after he got hurt. They did anyway. He did what any rational human being would do when someone idiot hands them 64 million AFTER an injury affects their job performance dramatically...he took it. I guess that's a reason to boo but the hatred for Pennington exists only because this franchise has spent a good part of the past 40 years being amongst the worst in the sport in almost every facet...particularly decision making.

The people who hate Pennington always reach for this "it's not the INJURIES it's the fact that he SUCKED"...no sh*t he sucked...he was the first guy to even successfully come back to the pros with his type of injury...what mentally there human being would expect him to be REALLY good on top of that?

Chad Pennington is your classic scapegoat...The face of a really, really dumb company who took the tomatoes thrown because the company had no idea what to do after he initially went down besides throw a crapload of money into fixing him and trying to recapture the magic of his 2002 season...Hating the guy requires ignoring 90% of the Chad Pennington story to focus on the worst 10%...Not going to happen.

The Jets gave Pennington his contract prior to the 2004 season. At that point, the only injury he had suffered was his wrist injury against the Giants in the 2003 preseason. His body of work from the Oakland game in the 2002 playoffs through the 2004 Buffalo game that he got his first shoulder injury tells me he was never really that good to begin with. Sure he had a good 3/4 of a regular season in 2002, but then again Derek Anderson was a Pro Bowler in 2007, so one season doesn't really count for much.

The Jets gave Pennington his contract prior to the 2004 season. At that point, the only injury he had suffered was his wrist injury against the Giants in the 2003 preseason. His body of work from the Oakland game in the 2002 playoffs through the 2004 Buffalo game that he got his first shoulder injury tells me he was never really that good to begin with. Sure he had a good 3/4 of a regular season in 2002, but then again Derek Anderson was a Pro Bowler in 2007, so one season doesn't really count for much.

Funny I didnt see Derek Anderson take his team to the playoffs 3 times and win 2 games with garbage skill players on offense either

If i had the energy i'd explain it to you. The short version is, just cause a guy says he's a great team frist guy doesn't mean he is. In fact, usually it means the opposite. See just about any politician for other examples

Don't beat yourself up. Just gullible, really.. Comes with youth

yes! he'd say exactly that and not mean a word of it. You're learning.

Chad Pennington's 2002 >>>>>>>>>>>> Derek Anderson's 2007

Good call...I always mess the order of his injuries up. Either way, they gave the contract to an injured QB who hadn't even started a full season yet...A dumb move even for a dumb franchise...

Derek Anderson's 2007 sucked because he was inefficient and a vag in the pocket...I know 2002 Pennington memories have long been deleted by most, but I remember it well and Chad was the man...Don't forget after 2002 they let Coles, Thomas, and McKenzie go...not replacing a single one of them with a younger/better talent (though I think they expected Moss to step right into Coles' role).

Chad's got balls...I loved the '04 rant against the media...I think more players should do it...it never caught on.

If i had the energy i'd explain it to you. The short version is, just cause a guy says he's a great team frist guy doesn't mean he is. In fact, usually it means the opposite. See just about any politician for other examples

Can I guess? He was compensated very well to be hated on.

I don't know if idiot is the word you are looking for..

If you prefer, substitute blockhead, bonehead, cretin, dimwit, dork, dumbbell, dunce, fool, ignoramus, imbecile, jerk, kook, moron, muttonhead, nincompoop, ninny, nitwit, pinhead, simpleton, or twit.

If you prefer, substitute blockhead, bonehead, cretin, dimwit, dork, dumbbell, dunce, fool, ignoramus, imbecile, jerk, kook, moron, muttonhead, nincompoop, ninny, nitwit, pinhead, simpleton, or twit.

I was hoping for ahole

Curtis martin is garbage?

He was not garbage but teams did not fear him since he lacked game breaking speed. Very solid RB who wore down at the end of season's due to age and injuries if it were 98' I would say ok to Martin. Name me some WR's and TE's ?

Go drink a Damn Redbull and bring the graphs and charts man......... ACM may be obsolete soon. LOL

Archived