The Jets inability to get off the field on 3rd down defense is alarming..

InstantClassic

For the great defense we supposedly have..we sure did let them convert a whole lot of 3rd downs.

3rd and 24..are you kidding me?!

This is something that needs to be fixed heading down the stretch if we want to be taken seriously..

I think this issue is a matter of a weak pass-rush. Good QB's slice us up downfield when given time to go through their 3rd and 4th progressions.

For the great defense we supposedly have..we sure did let them convert a whole lot of 3rd downs.

3rd and 24..are you kidding me?!

This is something that needs to be fixed heading down the stretch if we want to be taken seriously..

it seems like they do worse on 3rd and extrememly long...its the 3rd and 3-5s that they defense somewhat well

That's 100% on Rex and his defensive play calling.

Thank Joe Willie the Jets weren't facing Belichick yesterday. Idiot Rex calls an all-out blitz on 3rd and 24 and Big Ben throws a 20 ydr that's stopped. Belichick would have gone for the 1st down and converted it.

Rex has made this mistake countless times this season. He screwed up twice against the Steelers and it burned him against the Pats as well. In 3rd & a mile it's best to play coverage.

Yes, I know pass rush is an issue, but then adjust your play calling accordingly. Also. The extra-wide 4th rusher was effective yesterday, but the Jets only called that once.

Defensive playcalling has been an issue this year, not as bad as offense, but it has still been an issue.

Thank Joe Willie the Jets weren't facing Belichick yesterday. Idiot Rex calls an all-out blitz on 3rd and 24 and Big Ben throws a 20 ydr that's stopped. Belichick would have gone for the 1st down and converted it.

Rex has made this mistake countless times this season. He screwed up twice against the Steelers and it burned him against the Pats as well. In 3rd & a mile it's best to play coverage.

Yes, I know pass rush is an issue, but then adjust your play calling accordingly. Also. The extra-wide 4th rusher was effective yesterday, but the Jets only called that once.

Defensive playcalling has been an issue this year, not as bad as offense, but it has still been an issue.

Pettine has actually taken on a much bigger role this year in play-calling. Not to insinuate its his fault, I think they are calling the D like they normally do. I think the problem is they don't have the personnel to be able to get away with it. So, that said, coverage would have made more sense in that scenario. The reality, the defense isn't great, just very good.

And what would your adjustments be? When we rush 3 or 4, we get no one to the QB and our secondary is strained. When we blitz heavily, we give up a long play on 3rd & long. There's no solution to that. At least we did ENOUGH against a very good Steeler offense yesterday. Our blitz-happy nature got us a safety. It also nearly got Drew Coleman a strip-sack turnover that set up the 3rd + 24 in the first place.

And what would your adjustments be? When we rush 3 or 4, we get no one to the QB and our secondary is strained. When we blitz heavily, we give up a long play on 3rd & long. There's no solution to that. At least we did ENOUGH against a very good Steeler offense yesterday. Our blitz-happy nature got us a safety. It also nearly got Drew Coleman a strip-sack turnover that set up the 3rd + 24 in the first place.

looked good yesterday, but I dont think they are that good offensively

First, in no way shape or form did the Jets "blitz-happy nature" get the Jets a safety. Taylor freelanced on a play and attacked a different gap he was supposed to because he guessed the offensive play calling correctly.

And Coleman's strip-sack was not on a heavy blitz.

I'm talking about using a 4 man rush and letting the rest of the defenders drop into coverage. In that situation the QB is not inclined to throw a 20 yd pass. Whenever the Jets have called such a play it has been successful.

We have no natural pass rushers and it's been evident all season. Rex has little to work with up front. That being said, I really don't think we're playing the offense into Revis like we were last season and how we allowed a guy to run free over the middle on 3rd and 24 was just beyond me. You couldn't draw up a play so poorly.

Pass rusher the glaring need in the off-season IMO, but I'd hate to think we could be Gholston'd again.

What is this boards obsession with play calling? Its really weird. If the offense is bad, its play calling. If the defense is bad, its play calling. Dont get it.

Rex tried everything yesterday. He'd blitz or he'd drop back in coverage and nothing worked. They picked up just as many big gainers with a 3 man rush and 8 in coverage than they did when they sent the house.

IMO,its got nothing to do with play calls, and more to do with lack of players. We dont have a single player on the team who can generate a pass rush without a blitz. So Rex trys to compensate by playing coverage in downs that I'm sure he'd like to send the house. Personally, I'd rather see 4 man fronts with 7 in coverage and try to get something going that way...but I think Rex knows he doesnt have anyone on the team that can help, so he'd rather have the extra guy in coverage. Couple that with nobody that can play center field...and its a problem. But his play calling has little to do with it...we've tried it all and get burned either way.

Pool either needs to turn into a good safety or we need someone who can play center field. Plus, we dont have coverage LB'ers...I'd love to see us get some depth there so we can take Harris and Scott off the field because quite frankly, they cant cover worth sh*t.

What is this boards obsession with play calling? Its really weird. If the offense is bad, its play calling. If the defense is bad, its play calling. Dont get it.

I hope you get ripped apart for this. How dare you speak evil of this form of analysis...Playcalling is often the difference between champions and the people sitting at home watching. I'd be a billionaire if someone would just coach me up and call the right life plays for me.

Anyway...on the topic at hand...D needs a youth movement upfront...all this talk about secondary depth and pass rusher yet no one seems to notice or care that this DL has been Pouha and DeVito doing the dirty work all year and once every 6 weeks or so one of the old guys will flash. I like Pouha and DeVito alot...they're not my ideal starters but I could live with them starting if we picked up a Cameron Heyward or Lawrence Guy or Christian Ballard this offseason...mostly Heyward, the only one my gut is really sure of. Rebuild the DL and actually put some money into it...develop the OLBs...and keep adding speed, intelligence, size to the secondary...

I'm not even sure secondary depth is as bad as it's portrayed...only complaint I have with what they built there is that they put too much trust in Pool.

I hope you get ripped apart for this. How dare you speak evil of this form of analysis...Playcalling is often the difference between champions and the people sitting at home watching. I'd be a billionaire if someone would just coach me up and call the right life plays for me.

Anyway...on the topic at hand...D needs a youth movement upfront...all this talk about secondary depth and pass rusher yet no one seems to notice or care that this DL has been Pouha and DeVito doing the dirty work all year and once every 6 weeks or so one of the old guys will flash. I like Pouha and DeVito alot...as the 4th and 5th DL...I gotta admit that I used to wonder why the Jets kept Pouha around...he used to get hurt everytime he took 3 steps, but the guy is a pretty legit player. Cameron Heyward ftw this offseason.

I am a big Shaun Ellis fan but he looked bad yesterday chasing after Rapistberger on that one 20+ yard scramble.

Anyway...on the topic at hand...D needs a youth movement upfront...all this talk about secondary depth and pass rusher yet no one seems to notice or care that this DL has been Pouha and DeVito doing the dirty work all year and once every 6 weeks or so one of the old guys will flash. I like Pouha and DeVito alot...they're not my ideal starters but I could live with them starting if we picked up a Cameron Heyward or Lawrence Guy or Christian Ballard this offseason...mostly Heyward, the only one my gut is really sure of.

Why do you hope I get ripped? Thats not nice. ;-).

Nah, theres nothing to rip. Its astonishing how everything is about play calling here. Rex even said it himself...you want to send the house, but your gut is telling you not to. So they deployed a coverage defense that everyone uses, but it didnt work either.

We need Dline...we needed Dline this year, especially in a deep draft for that position. I'd be shocked if our primary focus this offseason isnt getting a true NT and some young DE's.

Why do you hope I get ripped? Thats not nice. ;-).

Nah, theres nothing to rip. Its astonishing how everything is about play calling here. Rex even said it himself...you want to send the house, but your gut is telling you not to. So they deployed a coverage defense that everyone uses, but it didnt work either.

We need Dline...we needed Dline this year, especially in a deep draft for that position. I'd be shocked if our primary focus this offseason isnt getting a true NT and some young DE's.

I really hope so. Last year's draft was chock full of DL talent and we passed on them all. I was truly pissed about that. Our DL is great at stuffing the run but that's about it. They don't really create match-up problems.

Archived