MNF

Gainzo

Someone needs to explain to me why these winter games "are the way the game is suposed to be played." I think it sucks. The quality of play is worse. The elements play too much of a factor, the fan experience blows. I think the "good 'ole days" is urban myth.

All that said, no offense, but last nights conditions didn't look all that awful to me. Then again, I live in the Northeast and am used to it.

I agree, Garb, but only to an extent. It wasn't an urban myth. Not too long ago certain teams were built to play in these conditions. Think of the Jim Kelly Bills. They were the Kurt Warner Rams on sub-zero temperatures. That was a huge advantage to them when playing at home late in the year. Favre used to play well in these conditions up until about 2002-03.

Further back, the Fran Tarkenton Vikings were an explosive offense in these conditions.

What has happened is that most players don't play in these types of conditions anymore. Thus, the quality of play as you note, is worse. Brady is probably the last of the bad-weather QBs.

Last night's conditions weren't awful, it was just something most players weren't used to. One caveat though, and that is the turf. I know they played on rock-hard turf in the past because of the cold, but that has no place in the game today. We can't forget that back then the average NFL career lasted 5 yrs. With the amount of money spent of player salaries the NFL can't afford for it to go back to that.

Someone needs to explain to me why these winter games "are the way the game is suposed to be played." I think it sucks. The quality of play is worse. The elements play too much of a factor, the fan experience blows. I think the "good 'ole days" is urban myth.

All that said, no offense, but last nights conditions didn't look all that awful to me. Then again, I live in the Northeast and am used to it.

What, are you telling me you don't believe some random senile old dude when he says he walked 2 miles uphill to and from school in 5" snow? I mean what is unbelievable about that? And you also don't believe that random people on the internet aren't tougher than modern 6'5 300 lb world class athletes? It seems obvious to me the internet is full of physical tough monsters that for whatever reason are sitting in their homes drinking hot cocoa reminiscing about all the tough guy things they did and how much tougher they are than everyone else.

And why shouldn't you believe them when they all say they run 4 minute miles, bench 500 lbs and have IQs of 150+?

...yeah I don't believe it either. But it's funny because they honestly think we believe them. sh*tty football is sh*tty football and humans weren't somehow tougher 30 years ago, that's just retarded. Dumber maybe though. The average IQ has gone up considerably since 30 years ago.

What, are you telling me you don't believe some random senile old dude when he says he walked 2 miles uphill to and from school in 5" snow? I mean what is unbelievable about that? And you also don't believe that random people on the internet aren't tougher than modern 6'5 300 lb world class athletes? It seems obvious to me the internet is full of physical tough monsters that for whatever reason are sitting in their homes drinking hot cocoa reminiscing about all the tough guy things they did and how much tougher they are than everyone else.

And why shouldn't you believe them when they all say they run 4 minute miles, bench 500 lbs and have IQs of 150+?

...yeah I don't believe it either. But it's funny because they honestly think we believe them. sh*tty football is sh*tty football and humans weren't somehow tougher 30 years ago, that's just retarded. Dumber maybe though. The average IQ has gone up considerably since 30 years ago.

So you're saying that players in the before the 90's didn't play outside in bad weather with clothing that is now were near as warm as what they wear today? As well as people working outside in the same situation. People are bigger and stronger now but they are now were near as mentally tough and there was also a study that showed people now require more water and protection from the elements then we use to. I'll try to find it.

As far as walking two miles in the snow blah blah. How do you think kids use to get around back in the day or people in general for that matter? They didn't have cars with heaters/ac they walked everywhere and used hand tools not power tools so yes they were tougher and worked a hell of a lot harder in worse conditions on top of not having the medical stuff we have now to help them. So people today aren't as tough mentally and physically as they use to be.

And as far as the game goes, I thought it was great to watch and would love to see games like that more often.

So you're saying that players in the before the 90's didn't play outside in bad weather with clothing that is now were near as warm as what they wear today? As well as people working outside in the same situation. People are bigger and stronger now but they are now were near as mentally tough and there was also a study that showed people now require more water and protection from the elements then we use to. I'll try to find it.

As far as walking two miles in the snow blah blah. How do you think kids use to get around back in the day or people in general for that matter? They didn't have cars with heaters/ac they walked everywhere and used hand tools not power tools so yes they were tougher and worked a hell of a lot harder in worse conditions on top of not having the medical stuff we have now to help them. So people today aren't as tough mentally and physically as they use to be.

And as far as the game goes, I thought it was great to watch and would love to see games like that more often.

Players were tougher in the 60's/70's/80's just watch any videotape of any game, the players today are spoiled + overpaid. Football was meant to be played outside. It was 0 degrees with windchill last night, find it funny many thought conditions were not bad. Legends were made in Ice Bowl. Today some are made wearing skirts.

Players were tougher in the 60's/70's/80's just watch any videotape of any game, the players today are spoiled + overpaid. Football was meant to be played outside. It was 0 degrees with windchill last night, find it funny many thought conditions were not bad. Legends were made in Ice Bowl. Today some are made wearing skirts.

Soooo disagree. As a fan who has sat in the stands in those kind of conditions, IT SUCKS. Slipping, sliding, conservative play calling, concussion inducing turf. Screw that. It stinks. Both the football and the fan expereince. Bleh.

tell all that to a member of the greatest generation and see what they tell you

amen

I think guys who played peewee/high school/college ball appreciate the bad weather games more because of their own memories of battling the elements in the ice snow and mud. The most memorable games I played were in freezing temperatures or heavy rain--and I always thought the tougher team had the advantage in those games. Lets face it--we like football because its simulated warfare played by tough men. Adding the elements, it truly becomes a battle on another level, and that is what makes us couch potato fans sit up in our seats. Twenty years ago guys played with broken bones, open lacerations, torn ligaments--nowadays they are precious commodities due to an inflated payscale and cant risk it. They arent necessarily less tough--just less willing to sacrifice their bodies for a game. Thats why Favre is looked upon with such awe. We like football because we like to watch warriors. Warriors don't worry about precipitation.

Archived