Wayne Hunter

DMaynard

Where has this guy been the last 7 years? The last two weeks he has looked like Winston Hill. Not coincidentaly, the rushing attack (against Pitt and Chic - two very good run defenses) and pass protection has improved. Woody, who was great in 2009, was definitely showing some age before he got injured. I don't think he will get his job back.

Where has this guy been the last 7 years? The last two weeks he has looked like Winston Hill. Not coincidentaly, the rushing attack (against Pitt and Chic - two very good run defenses) and pass protection has improved. Woody, who was great in 2009, was definitely showing some age before he got injured. I don't think he will get his job back.

Yeah Woody is toast. Hunter has probably won the job for next season, unless Ducasse all of the sudden comes to life.

Good thread. I meant to mention this, but I've been too busy disagreeing with everybody.

In camp Rex was asked who he'd want next to him if he were in a brawl and he said "Wayne Hunter. Nobody messes with Wayne Hunter. Nobody." According to Simms Callahan said that Hunter was the best athlete on the Oline. That's pretty high praise on a line with an athletic guy like D'Brick and packed with high draft picks.

He was a 3rd round pick of the Seahawks way back in 2003, but hardly got in any playing time. He was suspended a couple of times for violating league policy. He assaulted his girlfriend twice and was cut after getting in a fight in a bar in 2006. Jags got him off waivers and then ditched him in final cuts. He was a top 5 OT in the 03 draft. Hunter was a DT at Cal but transferred to home town Hawaii when June Jones got them going. He switched to OT his junior year.

I think everybody is a little too down on Woody. Woody was hurt for quite some time before he went out. That could be why his play deteriorated. Moore and Mangold were also dinged up next to him which also could have contributed. Woody may well not be done, but it's good that Hunter is doing the job. Woody may be done based on age and salary concerns, but he may have some good years left playing wise.

I think HUNTER has played great. However I heard REX say that the field conditions in Pittsburgh and Chicago did not support a great pass rush for any team. Still it was a great job and he is more then a fill-in.

Archived