Are Jets fans inherently pessimistic and miserable?

pfilippone

I'm not saying they will. I'm saying that it's not just being a blind homer to think the Jets could go on a run. Those teams went on runs and their fan bases were saying the same things you are. Their fan bases were wrong. There were another ten teams whose fan bases were saying the same things that were right. We'll see what happens. They managed the games smartly enough. The Bears game was bad, but the other games they lost were all on Sanchez not showing up. For all the jibber jabber about clock management and game management, they did the job. Against good teams and bad.

Easy schedule? Like playing the Pats and Bears to start the year? You'd feel better about the team if they needed to win Sunday and kicked the crap out of the Bills? That makes no sense to me.

If you think Parcells was shot after the Jets that changes things, but what the team said when they got off the bus is ******* MEANINGLESS. Did they show up and play? Sure for a half. Or was it Parcells shrewd no talking policy that kept the Broncos from playing hard? Does Rex coach a team that shows up to play? In 2010 they have played their balls off in 14 out of 15 games. I don't care if the coach is a buffoon. I don't give a flying **** if the other team is motivated. There is no such thing. They are better or they aren't. For every player that plays better because of bulletin board material there is one that presses and plays worse. The other team isn't fielding 53Reggie Jacksons.

If the Jets crush the Bills or get crushed by the Bills doesn't mean sh*t to any of us. It's what they do in KC that matters.

You brought up Parcells, I didnt. :lol:

I hope the Jets can go on a playoff run, I really do. but losing games by dumb clock management is the most painful way to lose a game. also, I am going by the Jets history under Rex of coming off a bye week when I bring up the Bills. look at how sharp they were after that 10 day layoff before the Pats game.

I'll tell you what, if Rex has his team fully prepared to play and coaches a smart game I will give him credit. even if the Jets lose!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the Jets can go on a playoff run, I really do. but losing games by dumb clock management is the most painful way to lose a game. also, I am going by the Jets history under Rex of coming off a bye week when I bring up the Bills. look at how sharp they were after that 10 day layoff before the Pats game.

I'll tell you what, if Rex has his team fully prepared to play and coaches a smart game I will give him credit. even if the Jets lose!

Parcells wasnt void of the coaching gaffs either. He completely mismanaged Detroit 97 with Lucas and Leon Johnson. Huge spot- terrible decisions.

Parcells wasnt void of the coaching gaffs either. He completely mismanaged Detroit 97 with Lucas and Leon Johnson. Huge spot- terrible decisions.

That int was out of bounds. had this been done in the Rex era we get another chance. and puuhleease! O'donnell was terrible in that game. did you see Parcells screaming at him saying ''wtf are you doing''?

But you're right, Parcells was terrible. Kotite never made a mistake like that. the games were never close enough.

I brought up Parcells because off the top of my head he did two stupid things, calling Glenn "she" and hitting Chrebet's injured leg, that were hailed as great motivating tactics. I'm sure there are more because I know I felt that way about him before he left the Giants. You worship him. Rex does stupid sh*t and you complain that he isn't winning the right way.

That int was out of bounds. had this been done in the Rex era we get another chance. and puuhleease! O'donnell was terrible in that game. did you see Parcells screaming at him saying ''wtf are you doing''?

But you're right, Parcells was terrible. Kotite never made a mistake like that. the games were never close enough.

Ok, nevermind. You cant be any older than 7.

I brought up Parcells because off the top of my head he did two stupid things, calling Glenn "she" and hitting Chrebet's injured leg, that were hailed as great motivating tactics. I'm sure there are more because I know I felt that way about him before he left the Giants. You worship him. Rex does stupid sh*t and you complain that he isn't winning the right way.

I dont ******* worship the guy. you guys keep making that up, not me.

You forgot about putting an empty can of gas in front of Bryan Cox's locker in 98. and continuously telling Lawrence taylor he should have drafted Hugh Green instead.

From LT to Simms to Cox..they all say he motivated them to become better players. how putting a wig on your head at a presser does that I dont know. but to each their own. keep distracting from Rex, he has no track record.

You forgot about putting an empty can of gas in front of Bryan Cox's locker in 98. and continuously telling Lawrence taylor he should have drafted Hugh Green instead.

From LT to Simms to Cox..they all say he motivated them to become better players. how putting a wig on your head at a presser does that I dont know. but to each their own. keep distracting from Rex, he has no track record.

What was Parcells' track record in year 2?

I'm sure he's got his ways...just because he doesnt show you that in his pressers doesnt mean he doesnt behind closed doors. He tried to bury the ball for motivation, it didnt work. I'm sure he will try other tactics too. BP has 3 decades of examples, give Rex time and he'll have his own.

And that was his brother dude, he was just messing with him. It was funny and his brother snapped back. Maybe thats how their family is? I dunno

Here we go.. whhhhhaaaa! BP said something about Rex :1cry:

Why do you resort to this behavior when anyone wants to question your hate toward Rex?

Do you want a list of guys who said Rex made them better players? There are a few on the team now, plus a bunch more. How did a can of gas make Cox better? They do what they do and they are their own men. I can respect that.

Rex has a pretty good track record from where I'm sitting. Both with this team, the Ravens and in college. You seem to think he can't learn from his mistakes. I think he has and I think the team has been better this season despite several of the top players (Jenkins, Scott, Leonhard, Revis) providing much less.

It is always interesting to hear both sides (pessimists and optimists) state their cases. I'll critisize the jets where I feel they desire it, but in the end, I am just a die hard fan who always looks for a reason to be optimistic. I find negativity to be draining.

BTW, where has that little cutey Jetsbabe been?

I'm sure he's got his ways...just because he doesnt show you that in his pressers doesnt mean he doesnt behind closed doors. He tried to bury the ball for motivation, it didnt work. I'm sure he will try other tactics too. BP has 3 decades of examples, give Rex time and he'll have his own.

And that was his brother dude, he was just messing with him. It was funny and his brother snapped back. Maybe thats how their family is? I dunno

Listen, I want the Jets to be successful. I want them to go to the playoffs and win it all. but as a coach, if you dont learn from your mistakes you can still be a very successful failure. re: look at Herm and Marty Schottenheimer as prime examples. im not gonna get into him looking like a jackass anymore, you love it, I know. I dont. so we'll leave it at that.

Why do you resort to this behavior when anyone wants to question your hate toward Rex?

What behavior? calling him a crybaby?

You called me an awful moderator..lol..did I cry? what did that have to do with Rex? did I ban anybody? did I threaten anybody? did I edit posts? did I delete posts? NO I did not. do you know Max actually gives me sh*t (kiddingly) for not doing enough moderating?

Why did you say that? im gonna question your behavior now.

Do you want a list of guys who said Rex made them better players? There are a few on the team now, plus a bunch more. How did a can of gas make Cox better? They do what they do and they are their own men. I can respect that.

Rex has a pretty good track record from where I'm sitting. Both with this team, the Ravens and in college. You seem to think he can't learn from his mistakes. I think he has and I think the team has been better this season despite several of the top players (Jenkins, Scott, Leonhard, Revis) providing much less.

Look Dom , if the Jets play well against the Bills and whoever we play the next two week I will give Rex credit whether we win or lose.

I'm gonna leave it at that.

Its not inherent. The Jets have made me this way. When have they given you are reason to be optimistic and happy?

It's a simple formula: The longer you have been a jets fan, the more bitter, miserable, pessimistic you become. And that's all down to the looong stretches of losing.

The good news is that all that gets RESET to zero once we win a super bowl.

Whether optimistic, pessimistic, apathetic, vocal, quiet, ghey or straight, we are all diehard fans here.

Let's just agree to disagree on everything except our blind loyalty to this team.

If Rex is the coach I think he is, he will find that spark to motivate the entire team to over achieve for the next (hopefully) 5 games.

How could you have a track record if you are new to head coaching?

He won a super bowl as a coordinator. In his first year as a head coach, he went to the AFC championship game after 2 road playoff wins with a rookie quarterback. In his second year, he's in the playoffs yet again, how far he will go is unwritten.

How could his track record be any more impressive in the few years he's been coaching??

Why did you say that? im gonna question your behavior now.

Nobody can question you and your angle on Rex without you pulling the cry baby routine.

Whatever, I shouldnt have responded. Do your thing.

It's a simple formula: The longer you have been a jets fan, the more bitter, miserable, pessimistic you become. And that's all down to the looong stretches of losing.

The good news is that all that gets RESET to zero once we win a super bowl.

Whether optimistic, pessimistic, apathetic, vocal, quiet, ghey or straight, we are all diehard fans here.

Let's just agree to disagree on everything except our blind loyalty to this team.

If Rex is the coach I think he is, he will find that spark to motivate the entire team to over achieve for the next (hopefully) 5 games.

I believe in Rex...I think he can do it. Dont see it happening this year with they way were are playing, but I think a few more pieces to the puzzle, under Rex's guidance, he can get us there.

With all that said, it’s the MADDENING inconsistency that’s driving people mad more than anything else. Take the Bears game for instance. Where was the D that held the Packers to 9 and completely shut down Miami a couple weeks ago? Of course, in that Miami game, we were wondering if our offensive starters even made it to the game. (No one showed up to the Pats game, for all its hype.) When half the team shows up, we struggle. When the entire team shows up and plays the whole game, we can beat anyone–like the Pats and the Steelers at home.

TBH watching that game both teams defenses looked like they were going through the motions in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I really hate that they did it, but to me it seems like they were resting knowing that they would be in the playoffs. I know the Jets weren't officially in, but they were behaving like they were. Just look at the defensive line play and the tackling in those quarters, there was no effort on either side

I don't entirely fault them for it though, they know their bodies and if they will be better off in the playoffs for it, then I'll look the other way.

I think Rex believes that NY media wont rip him if he appeases them with humor and stories to write about.

Hes wrong and better start winning something meaningful next season.

I think Rex believes that NY media wont rip him if he appeases them with humor and stories to write about.

Hes wrong and better start winning something meaningful next season.

NEXT season? He already won something meaningful LAST season (more than the Pats did) and is about to do it again THIS season.

Nobody can question you and your angle on Rex without you pulling the cry baby routine.

Whatever, I shouldnt have responded. Do your thing.

well, tbh you are acting like a baby again. and you're right, you shouldn't have. that wasnt directed at you, it was directed at Matt. but you made the decision to pick up the baton.

How could you have a track record if you are new to head coaching?

He won a super bowl as a coordinator. In his first year as a head coach, he went to the AFC championship game after 2 road playoff wins with a rookie quarterback. In his second year, he's in the playoffs yet again, how far he will go is unwritten.

How could his track record be any more impressive in the few years he's been coaching??

HEH HEH, you're absolutely right! somebody else was comparing Rex to Parcells. one has a track record and the other doesnt.

jets fans are always waiting for the other shoe to drop

cuz

it always does

they never let us off the hook easy and get eliminated from contention in november (well, sure kotite and the bollinger starting due to inury years were rough years)

it's always last week of the season fighting for a #6 seed regardless if the jets start off 4-6 or 9-2

it's enough to give you a complex

the media does try to keep the jets in a neat box of second class citrizens, and it comes through from al micheals and jim nantz to the awful beat writers

I was in maimi about 5 years ago, and what a love fest down there. everything was looking on the brightside and giving them the benefit of the doubt

reading cimini everyday is enough to make you want to jump off the gate D spirals

Oh thats right, we had Anthony Pleasant and Rick Lyle as defensive ends. my man Otis smith and Victor (I miss the coverage lol) Green. we had Kyle Brady and fred baxter at tight end, Dedric ward as the slot receiver.

NO WAY that 98 team had more talent the present day Jets.

They had a QB who had the best season any Jets QB has ever had.

I love it!

Performance means nothing.

Only record.

+1.

It makes you wonder if everyone has watched the same games this year. We are extremely fortunate to be 10-5 and if we lose to the Bills, we limp into the play-offs having lost 4 of 5 with the one win being aided by a huge non pass interference call in our favor.

11-5 or 10-6 is about where I had us looking at the schedule during the pre-season but I expected a much better overall product.

Archived