Coaching Moves Predictions

Jetsfan80

This could be the most active offseason in years in terms of coaching moves. The following are what I see happening:

49ers

Fired: Mike Singletary

Hire: Jim Harbaugh (Stanford Head Coach)

Harbaugh is the hottest coaching name out there, and he has an opportunity to stay out west and rebuild the Niners into a powerhouse. Much like his brother John, I expect he'll have success wherever he goes. And how about this for a package deal: Niners trading up to acquire Andrew Luck with their 1st round pick.

Giants

Expect to be fired: Tom Coughlin

Hire: Bill Cowher

The final nail on Coughlin's coffin will occur next week when, inevitably, the Giants miss out on the postseason. It was leaked on Mike & Mike that New York was Cowher's number one choice, and it makes perfect sense. The Maras are very similar to the owners Cohwer worked under in Pittsburgh, the Rooneys, in that they are both no-nonsense and also hands-off. Cowher would have final say on all personnel decisions while also having a strong working relationship with the higher-ups. The Giants have the talent but not the discipline; Cowher will fix this and win a lot of games.

Cowboys

Fired: Wade Phillips

Hire: Perry Fewell (Giants Defensive Coordinator)

Cowboys fans probably want Jerry Jones to make a big splash with his next hire, but I don't see it. Jones wants a puppet, not a big name like a Cohwer, Gruden, or Marty Schottenheimer. Fewell is the perfect choice for him in this instance, and rumor has it he is very much on Dallas's short list as of now.

Texans

Expect to be Fired: Gary Kubiak

Hire: Mike Sherman (Texas A&M Head Coach)

Chris Mortensen has reported that Sherman is a strong candidate for the Texans job if and when they fire the disappointing Kubiak. The former Packers head coach also used to be Houston's offensive coordinator.

Broncos

Fired: Josh McDaniels

Hire: Gary Kubiak

I'd love to predict that the Broncos go after Urban Meyer to reunite with Tim Tebow, but it seems far-fetched. More likely is Kubiak, who used to play and coach for Denver. Short of hiring one of the homerun candidates, Kubiak is not a bad option for Denver to settle on.

Vikings

Fired: Brad Childress

Hire: Jon Gruden

Gruden has stated that he would not consider leaving the broadcast booth unless it was a great situation. This has the potential to be one for him. Not only will Gruden get the opportunity to groom a young QB of his choice (their 1st round pick SHOULD be devoted to a franchise QB), but he also has a lot of fun toys to play with, which Gruden loves. Adrian Peterson, Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin and Visanthe Shiancoe are Gruden's wet dream. Not only that, but the players have not quit on interim coach Leslie Frazier. The Vikings brass, meanwhile, want a fiery, exciting coach to counter the boring, droning Brad Childress, and this would be a match made in heaven. If Gruden can swipe away a new defensive coordinator from another team (Ron Rivera? Perry Fewell? Dom Capers?), they could be a playoff team again as soon as next year.

Dolphins

Expect to be Fired: Tony Sparano

Hire: Rob Ryan (Browns Defensive Coordinator)

Rex Ryan has been adamant that he wants his brother to coach within the AFC East, and I think he gets his wish here. The Browns were the only team to beat the Patriots this year in the middle of their hot streak, and he also gave the Jets all the trouble they could handle. Sounds like the perfect guy to come in and give Miami a chance at making the division a three-horse race.

Panthers

Expect to be Fired: John Fox

Hire: Russ Grimm (Cardinals Offensive Coordinator)

The Panthers are very much a "good old boys" type of organization, and with owner Jerry Richardson tied closely to the Rooneys and, by extension, Grimm (who used to be a Steelers coach), the Panthers would be inclined to choose him rather than an expensive retread coach. Grimm would be an excellent choice to help develop Carolina's young QB's in Jimmy Claussen, Matt Moore, or a potential 3rd option.

Jaguars

Expect to be Fired: Jack Del Rio

Hire: Wade Phillips

Certainly not an ideal hire, but when you're the Jaguars, sometimes you need to go the retread route. Phillips can at least provide some stability for a struggling franchise, and maybe even provide a little buzz for a fan base that tends to care far more about SEC football.

Chargers

Expect to be Fired: Norv Turner

Hire: Ron Rivera (Chargers Defensive Coordinator)

With Rivera being listed as a hot name for a head coaching position elsewhere, the Chargers may decide to promote him so that they don't have to start over. San Diego has arguably one of the top 5 most talented teams in the NFL, but Turner simply could not maintain the level of play they had gotten out of Schottenheimer for so many years. Better to promote from within and maintain some continuity.

Coaches you can expect to be retained

Marvin Lewis - Bengals

For some reason, Bengals owner Mike Brown loves Marvin Lewis. Anticipate him getting 1 more year before Cincinnati starts from scratch.

Jeff Fisher - Titans

While Bud Adams may consider letting go of Fisher in favor of finding a coach who will back Vince Young, methinks he'll come to his senses. You don't fire one of the most respected coaches and the longest-tenured one for a headcase quarterback.

Tom Cable - Raiders

Al Davis doesn't like him, but Oakland was surprisingly competitive this season. He gets one more shot with Jason Campbell and breakout RB Darren McFadden to make it work.

Ken Whisenhunt - Cardinals

The end of the Kurt Warner era has not been kind to Arizona, but don't expect Whisenhunt to be canned as a result. He has a high level of confidence from management and it was not he who drafted Matt Leinart. Not to mention, his defense was among the most ball-hawking, explosive units in the league despite losing Karlos Dansby.

Coaches not expected to be hired

Marty Schottenheimer

This is one retread I don't think anyone wants to touch for whatever reason. He did a fine job with San Diego but the game has simply passed him by. Its a passing league more than ever, and "Martyball", though a farce of a term, just doesn't fly.

Dom Capers - Packers Defensive Coordinator

His name has been floated around for half a decade, but the truth is he was a failure of a head coach and would be again. Some coaches are simply best suited to be coordinators, including the next name on this list below.

Gregg Williams - Saints Defensive Coordinator

Like Capers, he's in a cushy situation. He's the DC of a perennial contender and has all the job security he needs. Also like Capers, he failed in his one stint as a Head Coach.

Brian Billick

With other big names available out of the broadcast booth, Billick just doesn't pop out like a Cowher, Gruden, or Dungy.

Tony Dungy

You just get the feeling he is more comfortable as an advisor and analyst than he is with the idea of coming back to coach.

Bob Stoops - Oklahoma Head Coach

Teams are wary of hiring college coaches, at least until they prove their worth as a coordinator. Harbaugh is an exception to this rule, but I don't think Stoops will get his chance next year, if he even wants it.

Marty Mornhinweg - Eagles Offensive Coordinator

Why leave Philly when you already get to work with one of the greatest offensive weapons in the NFL? Unless Vick signs elsewhere in free agency, Morhningweg would be stupid to go elsewhere for the time being. In addition, teams remember his poor 2 year tenure with the Lions, so I don't think he'll exactly have pick of the litter for a job, either.

Brian Schottenheimer - Jets Offensive Coordinator

He's never gotten the Jets to finish higher than 16th in total offense, and while the Jets have been clicking on offense lately, there's just no way he makes anything other than a lateral move this offseason. My guess is he sticks with the Jets.

If Jeff Fisher is available I think he is going to the Cowboys--they need to sell seats in that huge stadium.

Bengals-- for some reason I could see defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer getting that job.

Giants-- John Fox comes back home and is highly regarded by the organization and fans.

Panthers-- Bill Cowher takes on a rebuilding project.

Browns-- Jon Gruden teams up with buddy Holmgren

Broncos-- Jim Fassell

I don't think the Giants are giving their coach final say on personnel decisions. Traditionally they seperate the player personnel and coaching decsions. They wouldn't do it for Parcells and Belichick and I doubt they would start now. You said yourself that they are very talented. They like Reese a lot and are very proud of the whole having an African-American GM - they promoted him on MLK day. I'm sure that they would give Cowher plenty of leeway and he's probably happy with the job Reese does, so it might not be an issue. I'm not sure how happy the Giants FO is with Cowher's leaked list though. If they think he really did that it might have soured them because I heard Mara basically saying it was a bullsh*t move.

Norv isn't going anywhere and I would expect both Leslie Frazier and Jason Garrett to be back next year. It also seems that Tony Sporano has the support of a lot of his players and they are already coming out in his defense so I would not be surprised if he is back next year.

Norv shouldn't be fired, he should be shot out of a cannon. If there's anyone who's ever squandered great talent due to his own incompetence, its Norv.

Sparano may very well have the support of his players but going 1-7 at home when your owner is trying to establish your games as one of the hot spots to be in Miami is death. Sparano will be fired for starving the wolf.

Norv shouldn't be fired, he should be shot out of a cannon. If there's anyone who's ever squandered great talent due to his own incompetence, its Norv.

Sparano may very well have the support of his players but going 1-7 at home when your owner is trying to establish your games as one of the hot spots to be in Miami is death. Sparano will be fired for starving the wolf.

While I hate Turner as a coach I think the decision to have McNeill and Vincent Jackson hold out bit the organization in the a$$. AJ Smith has lot to prove in terms of front office moves.

As for Sparano, I agree the Dolphins are definitely trying to make their home games an event like the Heat. The only question is how much money are they willing to spend to bring in a big name?

SCHITTY = OUT

Savior = IN

I hope Morhinwheg gets a HC'ing job again one day. I want to see what happens.

Also, I think the Giants will once again keep Coughlin. One of the best points for Coughlin is that the only time he wasn't about to be fired in this town was the year after he won the Super Bowl. Guy is a damn good coach, even if he'll never have the vast knowledge owned by individual fans.

While I hate Turner as a coach I think the decision to have McNeill and Vincent Jackson hold out bit the organization in the a$$. AJ Smith has lot to prove in terms of front office moves.

As for Sparano, I agree the Dolphins are definitely trying to make their home games an event like the Heat. The only question is how much money are they willing to spend to bring in a big name?

If AJ Smith goes, and he should, any new GM would most likely bring in their own HC. Remember Turner was Smith's handpicked guy. I said it at the time and it rings true, Smith only brought in Norv because he knew that if Norv could win with the cast of talent he assembled, Smith would get all the credit. I am convinced that Marty would have finally won a championship had he been given the opportunity to finish what he started there. Smith wouldn't have that because a title with Marty would mean Marty was the story.

I think the jackass who is willing to sell off 1% portions of his team to any celebrity who wanders into Delano's would be willing to spend big money to get a Cowher or Gruden to make his home games more entertaining. I think either would be a huge mistake and I would love to see it happen.

Fisher is as good as gone. For whatever reason Bud Adams has a boner for Vince Young and after 17 seasons unless something miraculous happens Fisher will probably be coaching his last game for the Titans this weekend. He won't be out of work long though. The Giants would be real nice fit because he is a defense first type coach. I would not rule out a place like SF or the Texans though.

Jerry Jones on NFL Network last Saturday before the Cowboys, Cards game made an interesting statement in that no NFL head coach has won a Super Bowl for two different teams. Reading between the lines that sounds like he wants a guy like Gruden.

Panthers: Russ Grimm. That has been the talk down here.

Fisher is as good as gone. For whatever reason Bud Adams has a boner for Vince Young and after 17 seasons unless something miraculous happens Fisher will probably be coaching his last game for the Titans this weekend. He won't be out of work long though. The Giants would be real nice fit because he is a defense first type coach. I would not rule out a place like SF or the Texans though.

Jerry Jones on NFL Network last Saturday before the Cowboys, Cards game made an interesting statement in that no NFL head coach has won a Super Bowl for two different teams. Reading between the lines that sounds like he wants a guy like Gruden.

Couldn't disagree more. Sounds to me like he will steer clear of a retread.

Just read on NFL.com that Dean Spanos said both AJ Smith and Norv Turner will be back. Sorry Chargers fans. That sucks for you guys.

Couldn't disagree more. Sounds to me like he will steer clear of a retread.

Just read on NFL.com that Dean Spanos said both AJ Smith and Norv Turner will be back. Sorry Chargers fans. That sucks for you guys.

Do you think the lack of a new CBA may have some teams be a little gun shy first?

Do you think the lack of a new CBA may have some teams be a little gun shy first?

Not when it comes to coaches. Coaches will be affected very little by the new CBA so I don't think that will be a major issue.

The only places where it might play a role are places like Jacksonville where owner Wayne Weaver is on the cheap side and will not want to pay more than one coach to sit around doing nothing if there is a lockout.

However, if the Jags lose on Sunday, Del Rio needs to be shown the door. To go from tied for first in your division with the opportunity to land a knock out punch and in complete control of your own destiny to 8-8 and out of the playoffs in a 3-week span is unacceptable.

Sounds like he's saying he'd rather hire a young guy than a retread. It's probably a good idea.

This could be the most active offseason in years in terms of coaching moves. The following are what I see happening:

Brian Schottenheimer - Jets Offensive Coordinator

He's never gotten the Jets to finish higher than 16th in total offense, and while the Jets have been clicking on offense lately, there's just no way he makes anything other than a lateral move this offseason. My guess is he sticks with the Jets.

Excuse me while I throw up.

SD had one of the top Offenses and Defenses in the league. Losing Mcneil and Jackson did not hurt them a bit. When your team performs at that level on both sides of the ball and it doesn't translate to wins, that falls directly on the shoulders of the coach. The SUREST bet in my mind would be Norv Turner being fired.

Sounds like he's saying he'd rather hire a young guy than a retread. It's probably a good idea.

Then why fire Jason Garett then ?

The Cowboys are built to win right now. The three games they have lost since he took over was by a total of 7 points. you have weapons all over the place on the offense and a defense that with a bit of re-tooling can be a big time defense again.

The way I took it was that he wanted to be the first owner to have a Super Bowl winning coach come in and get that next ring with the Cowboys.

Take a look at the interview and see what you think.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/dallas-cowboys/09000d5d81d2fc1d/Jerry-Jones-on-set

SD had one of the top Offenses and Defenses in the league. Losing Mcneil and Jackson did not hurt them a bit. When your team performs at that level on both sides of the ball and it doesn't translate to wins, that falls directly on the shoulders of the coach. The SUREST bet in my mind would be Norv Turner being fired.

If Norv Turner gets fired, he needs to replace Schotty yesterday.

Not to turn this into a Schotty debate, but to me... this is a no-brainer. Turner has built a dominant offense EVERYWHERE he has coached.

Then why fire Jason Garett then ?

The Cowboys are built to win right now. The three games they have lost since he took over was by a total of 7 points. you have weapons all over the place on the offense and a defense that with a bit of re-tooling can be a big time defense again.

The way I took it was that he wanted to be the first owner to have a Super Bowl winning coach come in and get that next ring with the Cowboys.

Take a look at the interview and see what you think.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/dallas-cowboys/09000d5d81d2fc1d/Jerry-Jones-on-set

They haven't fired Garrett. I almost feel they'll keep him, but I'm sure they could find another young coach they like. There's a few of them.

I don't see Frazier and Garrett ending up being retained as Head Coaches. Its very rare that an interim coach sticks around as the head coach. I admire that the players haven't quit for either, but that guarantees nothing. The Vikings and Cowboys have the resources to do better.

If Norv Turner gets fired, he needs to replace Schotty yesterday.

Not to turn this into a Schotty debate, but to me... this is a no-brainer. Turner has built a dominant offense EVERYWHERE he has coached.

That isn't even close to being true.

In reverse order:

2007-2010 Chargers: were already a top offense when he got the job. They actually took a step back when Turner first got there (20% of their TD's were scored by the D or on specials). In other words, he can hardly be given credit for building something that was already built when he got there.

2006 SF 49ers (OC)

2004-2005 Raiders (HC)

2002-2003 Dolphins (OC)

2001 Chargers (OC)

1994-2000 Redskins (HC)

1991-1993 Cowboys (OC): like it took any genius to turn in a top offense with 8 pro bowlers.

I don't doubt Turner really knows his stuff. It's just not plausible for a guy to be employed as OC or HC every year for 20 years purely by accident or luck. He'd be an upgrade over BS as well. But absent an offense full of pro bowlers and HOF'ers in Dallas, or walking into an already-dominant offense that was #1 in the NFL when he got there in SD, the guy's overseen exactly one "dominant" offense by his own creation and that was way back in 1999.

That isn't even close to being true.

In reverse order:

2007-2010 Chargers: were already a top offense when he got the job. They actually took a step back when Turner first got there (20% of their TD's were scored by the D or on specials). In other words, he can hardly be given credit for building something that was already built when he got there.

2006 SF 49ers (OC)

2004-2005 Raiders (HC)

2002-2003 Dolphins (OC)

2001 Chargers (OC)

1994-2000 Redskins (HC)

1991-1993 Cowboys (OC): like it took any genius to turn in a top offense with 8 pro bowlers.

I don't doubt Turner really knows his stuff. It's just not plausible for a guy to be employed as OC or HC every year for 20 years purely by accident or luck. He'd be an upgrade over BS as well. But absent an offense full of pro bowlers and HOF'ers in Dallas, or walking into an already-dominant offense that was #1 in the NFL when he got there in SD, the guy's overseen exactly one "dominant" offense by his own creation and that was way back in 1999.

I sincerely thought it was true. I stand corrected... good luck getting back the 30 minutes it took you to put that response together. ;)

WADE PHILLIPS??????????? enough said!!

they were saying on NFL NETWORK last night that Kubiak might stay in houston and hire Phillips as DC....

and SPARANO might save his job casue of Parcels...supposedly Parcels called the Phags owner (one of them) and gave a good word or some BS ...lol

Archived