Santonio over Braylon?

ptgrd7

On twitter Rich Cimini posted that the jets are most likely going to choose Santonio Holmes over Braylon Edwards. Obviously we have no idea yet but I dont know if I like this idea, I mean I would lvoe to keep them both in a perfect world, but our most reliable reciever has been Braylon all year long. Thoughts? http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/12/30/jets-leaning-towards-holmes-over-edwards/

Good thread, I saw this mentioned and definitely is interesting. You can make a case either way.

Braylon: Great size, good success here. Had the DUI and the baggage when he came but has been a good citizen or so it would seem.

Santonio: Had the suspension for four weeks but has been solid since he got on the field. I see him being more of a veteran presence, tutoring others etc.

Honestly maybe they just keep the one that they can get cheaper.

Ya Braylon is more of a number 1 receiver IMO. Santonio is a very exciting player and no doubt a play maker however I do not look at him like a number one guy with Jerricho Cotchery as a number 2. Id rather have Braylon

Isn't Braylon a restricted free agent, thus it's beneficial to let him go and pick up some compensation in the meantime?

Who knows what the new CBA will bring but under the old one a RFA is a player with 3 years of experience and a UFA is 4 or more. WIth Braylon having 6 years of experience at the end of the year, it is highly unlikely that he will be a RFA. No way the players will allow the owners to add on that many more years for UFA.

No doubt he's made some huge plays for us. He's also fumbled a lot and dropped a touchdown pass against Miami, those 4 points we lost that way were the difference in the game.

Wait, does Santonio wear # 10? I was actually using those adjectives to describe what I saw in DLJs avatar, lol.

Edward is more complete, and a more willing blocker in the run game. It's no coincidence that our run game has suffered a little when #10 took over for #89 at WR. #10 is much better than #89, but not in blocking.

If the offense is going more pass oriented and more varying in it's route next year in Sanchez Year 3, I'd think about signing Holmes over Edwards. As a WR he's a better and more varied route runner, while Edwards is big and physical but without the route running ability the truely elite WRs.

That said, they're both wild and inconsistent enough to just say f*ck it, we'll take picks, and draft new WRs. It'd put more emphasis on Sanchez in the passing game, but that's why he, D'Brick, and Mangold got the big bucks, amirite?

If the offense is going more pass oriented and more varying in it's route next year in Sanchez Year 3, I'd think about signing Holmes over Edwards. As a WR he's a better and more varied route runner, while Edwards is big and physical but without the route running ability the truely elite WRs.

That said, they're both wild and inconsistent enough to just say f*ck it, we'll take picks, and draft new WRs. It'd put more emphasis on Sanchez in the passing game, but that's why he, D'Brick, and Mangold got the big bucks, amirite?

what picks? They are both unrestricted unless the rules change. We could franchise one but not both (again, unless the rules change)

Edward is more complete, and a more willing blocker in the run game. It's no coincidence that our run game has suffered a little when #10 took over for #89 at WR. #10 is much better than #89, but not in blocking.

Cotchery is the best at everything

I love how people take Cimini's word on anything. Yes the guy is a respectable journalist, but he likes to spin his wheels, A LOT.

There are reasons he and other reporters put things on Twitter, they don't have to be held accountable for it the same way if they put it in a paper or an online article. He has no cited sources, as usual. So either he is getting a bogus rumor or he is speculating.

I am passionate about this because I just got my journalism degree and a lot of what he does is generally unethical. They aren't terrible, but to me they just resound of poor journalism

The question that has to be answered is, do either of them want to stay here? They're both receivers who are entering into their late twenties who have both shown they can be prolific players in the right system, with the right QB. If I'm either of those guys, and the money is the same, I'm going to go play for the Colts, the Pats, the Bucs, etc.

The question that has to be answered is, do either of them want to stay here? They're both receivers who are entering into their late twenties who have both shown they can be prolific players in the right system, with the right QB. If I'm either of those guys, and the money is the same, I'm going to go play for the Colts, the Pats, the Bucs, etc.

Edwards has already been in hell in Cleveland. He seems to be a NYC kind of guy. Jets have been to the play offs two years in a row. Promising young QB.Players coach, I think he jumps at the chance to play here.

Braylon has never been as consistent as Santonio. Its not even close at this point in their careers.

BTW, Braylon playing good in a contract year. Coincidence? Maybe he's turning his career around...maybe not. We know what Santonio can do.

bwahahahhahahahahah

But only if they get to play Seattle every week.

Ah-HA! Check the stats, bro: Some rookie 4th rounder named Mike Williams: 61 catches, 924 yards, 10 TD's. Compare that to Braylon: 52 catches, 852 yards, 6 TD's.

You think maybe Braylon or his agent might want to go someplace where he can put some better numbers on the board?

Braylon has never been as consistent as Santonio. Its not even close at this point in their careers.

BTW, Braylon playing good in a contract year. Coincidence? Maybe he's turning his career around...maybe not. We know what Santonio can do.

Consistent? The guy probably lost us two games to make up for the two he won. Drops and fumbles. That doesn't fit in so well with the whole ground and pound philosophy.

Archived