Column on Rex from the Boston Globe

Gainzo

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Not going with flow — it’s all about the players

By Bob Ryan

Globe Columnist / January 11, 2011

From a writing point of view, I’m certainly happy the Jets beat the Colts.

No offense, but Jim Caldwell vs. Rex Ryan? On a Bombastic Personality Scale of 1 to 10, Caldwell is somewhere between zero and 1. Rex buries the needle. I wish I could say we’re related.

The ever-quotable coach of the Jets was at it again yesterday, setting the table for Sunday’s game against the Patriots as only he can. It’s personal, he says. Forget Tom Brady vs. Mark Sanchez. Forget Revis Island vs. Hapless Patriots Receiver. It’s all about Bill Belichick and me.

“I recognize that this week, this is about Bill Belichick vs. Rex Ryan — there’s no question it’s personal, it’s about him against myself, that’s what it’s going to come down to,’’ said Ryan.

Amazingly, Ryan was even able to draw Bill Belichick into the quip battle, however briefly.

“Well, I might have a little quickness on him. He’s probably got a little more strength and power on me,’’ joked Coach Bill, in a rare departure from his workplace M.O.

Ryan was extremely self-deprecating, attributing the infamous 45-3 loss to the Patriots Dec. 6 to being outcoached by the man he claims “will go down . . . as maybe the greatest football coach in the history of the game, or going to be close to it.’’

Continued Ryan, “He was at that level that week, and I was not. For whatever reason, I never had my team prepared the way it should’ve been prepared. That falls right down on me.’’

But Ryan also explained that he began planning revenge as soon as that game was over.

“I told Belichick after the game, ‘We’ll see you in Round 3,’ ’’ Ryan revealed. “He just looked at me.’’

Belichick’s rare rejoinder notwithstanding, don’t think for even a millisecond that Coach Bill possibly could be affected by anything Rex Ryan, or any other coach, has to say, unless he really does get personal. I’m sure Belichick is no different than any other red-blooded American male. If Rex were to take a shot at Linda Holliday — e.g. “she’s got ugly feet’’ — then we might have something. But as far as football is concerned, Rex’s pronouncements are like the proverbial trees falling in the forest. Bill’s not listening. He’s too busy preparing for the game.

Now there is one slight twist here. Belichick does not like the Jets. It doesn’t matter whom the party of the second part is, if he’s wearing Jets garb then Bill does care a wee bit more than if he were gearing up to play the Chiefs. He pretty much loathes all things J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets. It wouldn’t matter if the coach were Rich Kotite, Pete Carroll, Eric Mangini, the exhumed body of Weeb Ewbank, or Rex Ryan. If he’s a Jet, he’s bad.

But Rex himself? C’mon. He might even be providing some much-needed amusement for the serious-minded mentor of your New England Patriots. When Bill Belichick thinks of Rex Ryan, he thinks of a man who is a pretty good defensive coach, a man who was the defensive line coach for the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens under Brian Billick and later the defensive coordinator/assistant head coach under John Harbaugh. Belichick has the appropriate amount of professional respect for Ryan’s coaching expertise.

The Rex Ryan standup routine is neither here nor there, and the idea that Rex would take the occasion of that December demolition to announce his hope for a rematch doesn’t change anything. For all we know, Coach Bill had forgotten the incident until reminded about it yesterday.

It’s all foolish, of course. It’s a given that in order to win a game in the NFL a team must be properly prepared by its coaching staff, both technically and emotionally. Ryan says he was badly whipped in those departments when last they met.

“That game, I was outcoached in that game,’’ he confessed. “I said it then, I’m saying it now . . . he was at that level that week and I was not.’’

That all sounds good and noble and humble. But is it? Does it not puff up a coach’s importance in relation to the players who must execute their coaching vision?

In the matters of players vs. coaches, let there be no doubt: players ultimately matter more. Bill Belichick has a healthy ego, don’t you worry about that. But he seldom assesses a strong performance by his team without reminding his inquisitors that it was the players who passed, ran, caught the football, blocked, and tackled.

Take Belichick’s most famous triumph, Super Bowl XXXVI. In his must-read book, “The Games That Changed The Game,’’ Ron Jaworski says Belichick’s game-planning for that battle against the Rams, which featured a focus on stopping Marshall Faulk rather than Kurt Warner, was the greatest concept in the history of the NFL. But it was still 17-17 with the likes of John Madden up in the booth calling for them to play for OT when Brady & Friends moved into field goal range and Adam Vinatieri kicked them to a title. Players, players, players.

Was it Rex Ryan or Mark Sanchez who made that key sideline pass against the Colts Saturday night? Was it Rex Ryan or Braylon Edwards who made that leaping backwards grab at the other end of the play? Was it Rex Ryan or Nick Folk who kicked the winning field goal?

Great coaches can only put players in a position to win. But they’re coaches, not puppeteers. So Rex can babble on all he wishes. He likewise can stay up all night, every night watching tape in order to formulate the best possible game plan. Once the ball is snapped, neither Rex Ryan nor Bill Belichick has any more control over what will happen than you or me.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2011/01/11/wind_from_jets_ryan_but_not_going_with_flow__its_players/?p1=News_links#

this is hilarious

even when a writer tries to take the focus away from what rex says, the article is all about what rex says

he's crazy like a fox I tell ya

Rex Ryan pronounces his team SB favorites in Hard Knocks

-Rex is going to put too much pressure on his team. They won't be able to live up to that. -The Writers

Rex Ryan pronounces that it is him vs Belichick in the Divisional match-up

-This is a very transparent attempt to deflect pressure from his players- The Writers

That all sounds good and noble and humble. But is it? Does it not puff up a coach’s importance in relation to the players who must execute their coaching vision?

I don't know if the writer just doesn't get it, or if he's purposely being obtuse.

Rex is all about taking all the pressure off of his players and putting it on his shoulders. He does not want the focus of this game to be Sanchez vs. Brady, and certainly doesn't want his young QB thinking in those terms. He's going to take all the heat of the spotlight on himself, and let his players prepare in the shade his big body casts.

I also think he's motivating himself. He wants this game. Bad.

So wait. Players play and coaches...coach?

Can someone post a summary of this article? It's a bit over my head.

Woodhead and Welker are scrappy and always fight for extra yardage. Braylon has a ton of athletic ability but he's too selfish to take advantage of it.

Oh my bad, that's a summary of part deux.

I don't know if the writer just doesn't get it, or if he's purposely being obtuse.

Rex is all about taking all the pressure off of his players and putting it on his shoulders. He does not want the focus of this game to be Sanchez vs. Brady, and certainly doesn't want his young QB thinking in those terms. He's going to take all the heat of the spotlight on himself, and let his players prepare in the shade his big body casts.

Slats, it Bob Ryan. The biggest blow hard suck everything Patriots related a$$ bag out there. This article is so full of sh*t it actually makes him sound like more a blubbering moron than Rex.

Anyone that takes what Rex says at face value is completely missing what he is trying to do when addressing the media.

BTW - has there ever been a better promoter in the NFL?

I actually like the Jets chances in this game fractionally more than I did before the Colts game.

In the Colts game, Rex actually showed us that He can get over his stubborness. We all knew, everyone, the Jets were not going to get to Manning. Blitz or not.

Old Rex would have blitzed anyway, wanting go down "fighting his way".

He didn't do that. he changed his approach and rotated players in different positions more than any other time. He matched up smartly, rather than matching up showing force.

It leaves me hope he may adjust to what the Pats do, rather than suggest that the Pats have to match what the jets do on defense. That was a big step for Rex

All you here about with these Pats writers, NFL talking heads and Pats fans is 45-3.

The same NFL talking heads (most on pro-Pats station ESPN) predicted the Jets would lose to Manning...That didnt happen.

What are the NFL talking heads going to say when we kick the Pats in the nuts and we head into the AFC Championship game the following week? Oh yeah thats right we will hear..."Brady was off"....The Jets got lucky on that one....Aside from Brady the Pats have NOBODY. And we will expose that come sunday.

Woodhead and Welker are scrappy and always fight for extra yardage. Braylon has a ton of athletic ability but he's too selfish to take advantage of it.

Oh my bad, that's a summary of part deux.

"Scrappy" is somehow always applied to white guys, "articulate" to black guys.Go figure. Cannot be overstated; we have a mess of old sportwriters who write the same crap over and over and somehow even with the internet collect big a$$ checks. Bob Ryan is a dick. Tough to figure among and between himself, douchebag Dan Shaugnessy and midget Mike Lupica who is worst sportswriting hack in the northeast.

Did any of you read the article? Rex told the press he was out coached last month but in his presser after the game he wanted to play the Pats right away (Did he say in the parking lot?). Whatever. Rex is the gift that keeps on giving.

Slats, it Bob Ryan. The biggest blow hard suck everything Patriots related a$$ bag out there. This article is so full of sh*t it actually makes him sound like more a blubbering moron than Rex.

Anyone that takes what Rex says at face value is completely missing what he is trying to do when addressing the media.

Incorrect.

Bob Ryan loves to write about anything because he is in love with his writing, his voice, his knowldege. The man has an ego the size of Queens. The fact that he was just voted into some sports writers hall of fame will only make his ego bigger.

This will be a long, stupid week. Bob Ryan is an arrogant dude that thinks he is a basketball historian (he may actually be) and Rex Ryan is a foot phucker. Yadd, yadda, yadda...

Incorrect.

Bob Ryan loves to write about anything because he is in love with his writing, his voice, his knowldege. The man has an ego the size of Queens. The fact that he was just voted into some sports writers hall of fame will only make his ego bigger.

This will be a long, stupid week. Bob Ryan is an arrogant dude that thinks he is a basketball historian (he may actually be) and Rex Ryan is a foot phucker. Yadd, yadda, yadda...

So what am I "incorrect" about then?

He knows very well that Rex is taking the pressure off his team and putting on his own shoulders.....he just wrote a thesis to feed his own ego.

Incorrect.

He knows very well that Rex is taking the pressure off his team and putting it on himself, but he wrote this article to satiate the lowest common denominator of sh*t brains within the Pats fan base that do NOT get it.

Bob Ryan probably sees that this town is boiling over with irony right now. The sh*t talking Patriots fans that hate Rex because he talks sh*t... and who think that because they root for the quiet coach, they somehow augment their own level of intelligence. So he is just feeding the beast with this article... because he knows the idiots will gobble it up like Brady working Welkah's peen.

What are the NFL talking heads going to say when we kick the Pats in the nuts and we head into the AFC Championship game the following week? Oh yeah thats right we will hear..."Brady was off"....The Jets got lucky on that one....Aside from Brady the Pats have NOBODY. And we will expose that come sunday.

The funniest part of it all is that you actually believe this.

No. Not even close. You want evidence? Saturday night's game was the highest rated since they started airing Wildcard games in prime time and the highest rated wildcard game in 11 years. Think Rex had a little to do with that?

No. Not even close. You want evidence? Saturday night's game was the highest rated since they started airing Wildcard games in prime time and the highest rated wildcard game in 11 years. Think Rex had a little to do with that?

Nope. What else was on TV that night?

Incorrect.

He knows very well that Rex is taking the pressure off his team and putting it on himself, but he wrote this article to satiate the lowest common denominator of sh*t brains within the Pats fan base that do NOT get it.

Bob Ryan probably sees that this town is boiling over with irony right now. The sh*t talking Patriots fans that hate Rex because he talks sh*t... and who think that because they root for the quiet coach, they somehow augment their own level of intelligence. So he is just feeding the beast with this article... because he knows the idiots will gobble it up like Brady working Welkah's peen.

Have you read Bob Ryan's pieces? He is a self-indulgent egomaniac. Read some of his basketball stuff - holy moly!

He knows very well that Rex is taking the pressure off his team and putting on his own shoulders.....he just wrote a thesis to feed his own ego.

How does this feed his own ego when its making him look oblivious? I think you are giving Bob Ryan way to much credit he's an a$$ clown that cant see through the trees through the forest on any issue he debates/reports.

Jerry Glanville

I miss that guy, but I dont think he holds a candle to what Rex is doing.

Archived