Teriffic Whitlock Article that sums up Jets vs Cheaters

madmikeisback

Jets win more than just a playoff game

Jason Whitlock writes about the sports world from every angle, including those other writers can't imagine or muster courage to address. His columns are humorous, thought-provoking, agenda free, honest and unpredictable. You can e-mail Jason or follow him on Twitter.

PRINT RSS

1388 comments »

Updated Jan 17, 2011 3:49 PM ET

FOXBOROUGH, MASS.

The Jets won the culture war.

After a week’s worth of heated trash talk that exposed the disdain between the Jets and the Patriots, Rex Ryan’s pack of alleged bad boys humbled Bill Belichick’s pack of alleged choirboys 28-21.

NFL WEEKLY REVIEW PAGE

Get caught up on all the action from the divisional-round games.

Not since 1988’s “Catholics vs. Convicts” clash at Notre Dame Stadium has football staged the kind of cultural confrontation we witnessed Sunday at Gillette Stadium.

Jets-Pats was more than a typical NFL divisional playoff contest. To some degree, it was a battle for the heart and soul of the league.

“It’s all about a system with (the Patriots),” a Jets executive told me in the postgame locker room. “With us, it’s all about the players.”

Rex Ryan’s New York Jets are America’s No. 1 reality TV show. They’re loud, talented, in your face and occasionally wildly irresponsible (Sex Ryan’s foot-fetish videos, Antonio Cromartie’s baby-mama fetish, etc.). In the buttoned-up, Roger Goodell-disciplined NFL, the Jets come off like the NBA’s Miami Heat.

If you had to compare Bill Belichick’s Patriots to a basketball team, only the WASPy, boys-next-door Duke Blue Devils fit the description.

In winning three Super Bowls early in the new millennium and consistently fielding outstanding regular-season squads, Belichick perfected the art of choosing overall team character, locker-room chemistry and adherence to rules of media secrecy over loading up on individual talent.

In places such as Kansas City and Atlanta — where former Belichick-trained executives have power — the “Patriots Way” has a pronounced influence. In other cities, the Belichick influence is more subtle.

The Patriots Way is rejected in New York by Rex Ryan. The Jets say what they want, do what they want and they’re completely unafraid to call bull(crap) on Belichick and the Patriots.

To the Jets, the Patriots Way is Spygate and hypocrisy. The Patriots cheat and they’re phony. They’re Eddie Haskell. The locker room America bought as filled with All-American, high-character good guys is really filled with Wes Welkers, the New England receiver who made the game’s most critical error days before kickoff when he littered a pregame interview with foot jokes about Rex Ryan and his wife.

“I’ve never seen anything like that,” LaDainian Tomlinson told me. “She’s off limits. You don’t talk about that man’s wife. (Welker) better be glad he didn’t say anything about my wife.

“This is how I feel: When it happens to them, it’s classless. When they do it, it’s a different story.”

Welker, who was benched by Belichick for New England’s first series, crossed a line. It’s one thing for the media and fans to joke about Ryan’s personal life. The players and coaches are peers. They shouldn’t participate in anything that embarrasses one of their peer’s family members.

Welker handed the Jets the emotional advantage.

“I felt that it motivated a lot of guys,” said Mark Brunell, New York’s veteran backup quarterback. “It was inappropriate.”

New York fullback Tony Richardson, another longtime veteran, added, “That was personal. Guys will take shots at other guys. But that was personal. There was no reason to bring his family into it. Rex has a son in 10th grade.”

The lone stupidity challenge to Welker’s blunder was Belichick’s strategic blunder late in the second quarter.

Trailing 7-3 with 70 seconds left in the half and facing fourth-and-4 at the New England 38, Belichick left defensive back Patrick Chung with the option of running a fake punt. Chung dropped the direct snap, and the Jets tackled him for a 1-yard loss.

The Jets capitalized, scoring a quick TD to take a commanding 11-point lead.

The fake was ignorant. There was no reason to force anything at that point. The Pats were getting the second-half kickoff. New England panicked. The alleged “smartest” team in football played a dumb football game.

What's even worse is the way Belichick avoided responsibility for the fake punt. He sidestepped all postgame questions about who called the fake. Monday afternoon Chung took responsibility for the botched play. Rex Ryan would've handled the situation by taking full responsibility for the error. The Jets coach would've protected his player.

The Patriots Way protects the system. The Patriots Way is in a bit of trouble.

The Pats fell for Rex and Cromartie’s trash-talk bait, and when New York’s superior defensive personnel and flawless game plan stopped Tom Brady and Co. from gliding up and down the field, the Patriots turned amateur with their strategy.

Down 10 points in the fourth quarter, Brady chewed up nearly eight minutes of clock with a 14-play, 48-yard drive that featured seven running plays and the Pats sauntering in and out of the huddle as though there would be a fifth quarter.

CBS cameras appeared to catch Belichick complaining about his team’s offensive play-calling.

It’s now fair to question everything about the Patriots.

They haven’t won a Super Bowl since Spygate. Judging by Jay Glazer’s FOX Sports pregame story, Belichick and the Patriots were building special-teams, sideline-tripping walls long before the Jets.

Yeah, the Jets won the culture war.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/new-york-jets-rex-ryan-beat-new-england-patriots-bill-belichick-in-culture-war-011611

What a ******* joke. Whitlock, three weeks ago:

Rex Ryan is the popular class clown. He’s not the class president or team captain. He’s Ochocinco trying to play quarterback. It’s not going to work.

Rex’s alleged foot-fetish, amateur YouTube videos and swingers’ message-board posting are not “personal matters” that require privacy. They’re reckless lapses in judgment that call into question his maturity, common sense, professionalism and ability to lead for a sustained period.

You add all the Ryan-involved controversies together and you can make a pretty compelling argument that Rex is the league’s most embarrassing, non-criminal employee.

If we had lost, he'd be ripping Cromartie for tugging on Superman's cape. Whitlock can kiss my hairy white a$$. That goes double for Lupica.

The Patriots Way is rejected in New York by Rex Ryan. The Jets say what they want, do what they want and they’re completely unafraid to call bull(crap) on Belichick and the Patriots.

To the Jets, the Patriots Way is Spygate and hypocrisy. The Patriots cheat and they’re phony. They’re Eddie Haskell. The locker room America bought as filled with All-American, high-character good guys is really filled with Wes Welkers, the New England receiver who made the game’s most critical error days before kickoff when he littered a pregame interview with foot jokes about Rex Ryan and his wife.

That right there is gold!

It should be a JN universal sig, that automatically shows up after every post. :D

Why are we being hypocritical now? What Welker did, did not cross a line. If it did, it didn't cross much of one. Calling Brady an a$$hole isn't personal? That's in some fashion game related trash talk? I guess you could say that Rex didn't bring up SecretaryWhoreHouse, but still... We talked they talked, we kicked their a$$. To me, the problem with Welker's lame comments was 1. that they were lame and 2. "THEY" are supposed to be above that kind of thing. **** them, but I'm not going to cry about their "talking".

Why are we being hypocritical now? What Welker did, did not cross a line. If it did, it didn't cross much of one. Calling Brady an a$$hole isn't personal? That's in some fashion game related trash talk? I guess you could say that Rex didn't bring up SecretaryWhoreHouse, but still... We talked they talked, we kicked their a$$. To me, the problem with Welker's lame comments was 1. that they were lame and 2. "THEY" are supposed to be above that kind of thing. **** them, but I'm not going to cry about their "talking".

thats pretty much all fans do. I lurk at other teams boards sometimes, and I'm constantly amazed at how differently the same events are interpreted by the different fan bases. Usually the truth lies in the middle, but it's surprising to me how strongly people feel and how unaware they are of thier own bias...

I guess Dom it's a point of not bringing ones family into it. Yet, I do remember Rex telling Brady that his wife was a supermodel too. But it is what it is. If it helped the Jets win then I like it and I like it like this and I like it like that I like almost as I like being fat.

I guess Dom it's a point of not bringing ones family into it. Yet, I do remember Rex telling Brady that his wife was a supermodel too. But it is what it is. If it helped the Jets win then I like it and I like it like this and I like it like that I like almost as I like being fat.

Eh. I might find that a little more believable if the Jets didn't blatantly start talking first. Cromartie called Brady an a$$hole several days earlier. I will not complain about the Jets talking sh*t, but I'm not going to bitch like a baby because they brought Rex's family into it. A "family" member that has had her slutty foot videos plastered on about every media outlet I might add.

Is that last part something like this: I did it like this, I did it like that, I did it with a wiffle ball bat?

Eh. I might find that a little more believable if the Jets didn't blatantly start talking first. Cromartie called Brady an a$$hole several days earlier. I will not complain about the Jets talking sh*t, but I'm not going to bitch like a baby because they brought Rex's family into it. A "family" member that has had her slutty foot videos plastered on about every media outlet I might add.

Is that last part something like this: I did it like this, I did it like that, I did it with a wiffle ball bat?

I see your point and yes those videos and computer profiles are nasty, but from a players point, that is still their coach and she is still his wife.

what the hell are you doing with wiffle ball bats? Just be careful, ok?

This:

What's even worse is the way Belichick avoided responsibility for the fake punt. He sidestepped all postgame questions about who called the fake. Monday afternoon Chung took responsibility for the botched play. Rex Ryan would've handled the situation by taking full responsibility for the error. The Jets coach would've protected his player.

The Patriots Way protects the system. The Patriots Way is in a bit of trouble.

This is the difference. This is why guys want to play for Rex. This is why guys will run through flames for this man. This is why guys got upset when Welker attacked him.

Cromartie called Brady an "a$$hole." Guess what? Most of Brady's teammates probably quietly agreed. When has Brady stuck his neck out for any of them or taken the blame for a big loss? When has Belichick?

Rex blamed 45-3 on himself and no one else, saying he alone was responsible for the debacle. Rex comes out and says, "if you want to blame someone blame me."

Rex takes all the blame when things go wrong and takes none of the credit when things go right, even going so far as to hand all the credit to his players and assistant coaches for the win Sunday and saying Belichick outcoached him Sunday (which is laughingly false.)

This is the reason that as long as Rex is the head coach of this team, the Jets will have no trouble finding players who want to play for them and will never have serious motivation issues. Will they come out flat every now and then? Sure, everybody does once in a while. But it will never be an unfixable situation.

You want to know why the Jets players treated Welker's comments differently than Pats treated Cromartie's? The person being attacked had earned their respect and admiration through his words and his actions. The other is an arrogant prick who thinks his sh*t doesn't stink.

Why are we being hypocritical now? What Welker did, did not cross a line. If it did, it didn't cross much of one. Calling Brady an a$hole isn't personal? That's in some fashion game related trash talk? I guess you could say that Rex didn't bring up SecretaryWhoreHouse, but still... We talked they talked, we kicked their a$. To me, the problem with Welker's lame comments was 1. that they were lame and 2. "THEY" are supposed to be above that kind of thing. **** them, but I'm not going to cry about their "talking".

Cromartie called Brady an a$hole at a one-on-one interview. What Cromartie didn't do (directly or indirectly) was call Brady's wife a bulimic whore from the podium of a press conference.

One is taking a personal shot at an opponent. The other is taking shots at the opponent's family.

Granted, it wasn't Welker who moronically put those videos out on the internet. But it ain't the same thing.

Rex blamed 45-3 on himself and no one else, saying he alone was responsible for the debacle. Rex comes out and says, "if you want to blame someone blame me."

Rex takes all the blame when things go wrong and takes none of the credit when things go right, even going so far as to hand all the credit to his players and assistant coaches for the win Sunday and saying Belichick outcoached him Sunday (which is laughingly false.)

This is the sh*t I love about Rex. He even sets this up to be this way in pregame pressers.

Its me vs. BB. That way if they lose, he's already set it up that its on him. But the genius in Rex is that they dominated, and he came out an immediately dismissed what he was saying all week and gave his team all the accolades and took no credit for the win. The guy is very smart and I love that everyone thinks he's a moron. Its brilliant if you ask me.

And honestly, there might not be a better game planning coach in the league right now. Seriously. Those last 2 defensive performances were brilliant. He got in the heads of the 2 best QB in the biz, and 2 of the best of all time. I've never seen Manning so passive and I've never seen Brady so flustered.

Big Ben next baby!!!

Cromartie called Brady an a$hole at a one-on-one interview. What Cromartie didn't do (directly or indirectly) was call Brady's wife a bulimic whore who probably has a bigger penis than her bitch husband from the podium of a press conference.

One is taking a personal shot at an opponent. The other is taking shots at the opponent's family.

Granted, it wasn't Welker who moronically put those videos out on the internet. But it ain't the same thing.

Fixed.

Great article, but I was surprised by Whitlock's 180 on Rex & the Jets.

Like CTM mentioned, winning changes everything.

The good thing about this is that the Patriots are finally being exposed as frauds in how they conduct themselves. You want to be considered a class organization then, cool, act classy. The Pats are nothing but a bunch of front running crybabies.

This is the sh*t I love about Rex. He even sets this up to be this way in pregame pressers.

Its me vs. BB. That way if they lose, he's already set it up that its on him. But the genius in Rex is that they dominated, and he came out an immediately dismissed what he was saying all week and gave his team all the accolades and took no credit for the win. The guy is very smart and I love that everyone thinks he's a moron. Its brilliant if you ask me.

And honestly, there might not be a better game planning coach in the league right now. Seriously. Those last 2 defensive performances were brilliant. He got in the heads of the 2 best QB in the biz, and 2 of the best of all time. I've never seen Manning so passive and I've never seen Brady so flustered.

Big Ben next baby!!!

Thats why guys like Bart Scott love him. he takes the pressure and the failure and when they win he puts it on them. Guy make fat sexy.

Great article, but I was surprised by Whitlock's 180 on Rex & the Jets.

Like CTM mentioned, winning changes everything.

The good thing about this is that the Patriots are finally being exposed as frauds in how they conduct themselves. You want to be considered a class organization then, cool, act classy. The Pats are nothing but a bunch of front running crybabies.

heh.. i remember hating all the "patriot way" talk when we signed mangini. Patriot way = having a hall of fame qb and then spoiling his prime years by letting talent leave ever year cause your arrogant enough to believe the system is most important.

Interesting that Mangini said the other day that everything we did was to beat the patriots, I mean, I think we all knew that, but was interesting to hear him come out and admit it.

I for one am glad that we no longer are wannabe's and have forged our own identity. Being a replica of somethign is almost never as good as the original, Mangini was doomed from the start

heh.. i remember hating all the "patriot way" talk when we signed mangini. Patriot way = having a hall of fame qb and then spoiling his prime years by letting talent leave ever year cause your arrogant enough to believe the system is most important.

Interesting that Mangini said the other day that everything we did was to beat the patriots, I mean, I think we all knew that, but was interesting to hear him come out and admit it.

I for one am glad that we no longer are wannabe's and have forged our own identity. Being a replica of somethign is almost never as good as the original, Mangini was doomed from the start

**** yeah! I love it and its why I love Rex Ryan.

I want to be the exact opposite of the Patriot Way.

Tells me Mangini has maybe learned from his mistakes. I got a co-worker who is from Cleveland and is a huge Browns fan and he tells me they loved Mangini up there, despite the record.

Cromartie called Brady an a$hole at a one-on-one interview. What Cromartie didn't do (directly or indirectly) was call Brady's wife a bulimic whore from the podium of a press conference.

My point isn't that it's the same thing. My point is that we sound like a bunch of pussies whining about them talking. Does anybody think that Welker would have pulled that sh*t if it weren't for Cromartie mouthing off? The Jets talk the talk because between the lines they are going to **** you up. Say something about us? You're going to ******* pay. The Pats did pay. Welker is still looking for the other half of his postman sticker. It's over now, it's time to move on. We'll have plenty of time to call them a bunch of homos before the two games next year.

PS: I remember in the NY Times Scott saying how he researches players on the internet to find their weaknesses and will use anything to his advantage. I know that he is bitching about them piling on Rex's weight, but he has attacked Cowher's chin and LenDale White's weight.

Scott uses a three-step trash-talk template. He starts with research. He scours ESPN, Google and scouting reports, which include pictures. He wants to understand the opponents he will talk to, understand what angers them, what makes them tick. He looks for police incidents, problems with wives or girlfriends, expanding stomachs, funny faces.
. Link

'I think I called him a fat boy,'" Scott said.

The complaints about making fun of Ryan's weight are the lamest.

Scott thinks he knows why White doesn't like him. "'I think I called him a fat boy,'" Scott said.
Link2

Scott on Titans running back LenDale White: "I heard he’s rippling with sex appeal now. He’s all leaned-up. He should have done one of those commercials for Jared or something."
Link3

Let's not forget the ultimate in NFL no-no's, threatening to end a career.

That definition of Patriots Way sounds about right to me. I've always found it so absurd how much people have sucked off the "system" and how that was the one key to success, meanwhile ignoring the entire concept that the team scooped up a HOF QB with a 6th round pick and have since watched their championship-caliber defense crumble around them.

I also completely agree on the concept of the Jets being their own team. This team has been trying to be a copy-cat since at least Herm's hiring. He spent years tearing apart our defense trying to build this defense into the Tampa Two. Then Mangini comes along, starts over from scratch and tries to install the "Patriots Way". He took a team with undersized LBs, no NT and only one quality DL and changed them into a two-gap read-and-react 3-4 team overnight. However, Ryan has done anything but make this team the "Ravens North". Sure he brought over a couple of players and coaches, but this team has been about anything but copying where he came from. This team's entire offensive and defensive strategies have been built on the concept of playing to his players strengths. That didn't involve dumping some of the Jets most talented players and replacing them with sub-standard replacements that fit his system. What a crazy concept, huh?

My point isn't that it's the same thing. My point is that we sound like a bunch of pussies whining about them talking. Does anybody think that Welker would have pulled that sh*t if it weren't for Cromartie mouthing off? The Jets talk the talk because between the lines they are going to **** you up. Say something about us? You're going to ******* pay. The Pats did pay. Welker is still looking for the other half of his postman sticker. It's over now, it's time to move on. We'll have plenty of time to call them a bunch of homos before the two games next year.

PS: I remember in the NY Times Scott saying how he researches players on the internet to find their weaknesses and will use anything to his advantage. I know that he is bitching about them piling on Rex's weight, but he has attacked Cowher's chin and LenDale White's weight.

. Link

'I think I called him a fat boy,'" Scott said.

The complaints about making fun of Ryan's weight are the lamest.

Link2

Link3

Let's not forget the ultimate in NFL no-no's, threatening to end a career.

Again, I wasn't taking issue with him ripping on Rex. He wants to do that, then pay the price. But Welker didn't mention Rex; he mentioned foot/feet stuff, which - no matter how it's rationalized - ends up being a dig at the guy's wife and, in turn, their teenage kid who has to relive it every time it's in the national news.

Rex is the one who blusters about this player or that player, the Jets team or an opponent's team. Rex's family didn't. And the things guys say on the field is way different than standing at a podium with a prepared list of "subtle" digs at a guy's wife.

Does anybody think that Welker would have pulled that sh*t if it weren't for Cromartie mouthing off?

No, he is an idiot and he took the bait.

The Pats used the barbs to get pissy and whine and tried to come back in what they thought was a clever way that wound up blowing up in their face.

The Jets used Welker's crap to fuel themselves and give them a target for their aggression.

Again, I wasn't taking issue with him ripping on Rex. He wants to do that, then pay the price. But Welker didn't mention Rex; he mentioned foot/feet stuff, which - no matter how it's rationalized - ends up being a dig at the guy's wife and, in turn, their teenage kid who has to relive it every time it's in the national news.

Rex is the one who blusters about this player or that player, the Jets team or an opponent's team. Rex's family didn't. And the things guys say on the field is way different than standing at a podium with a prepared list of "subtle" digs at a guy's wife.

Rex kind of invites it with stuff like this..

Ryan deadpanned, “I never realized how similar I am to Tom Brady. The obvious physical appearance would be the first thing. The fact that he’s married to a supermodel (Gisele Bundchen) … hello … ’’ Ryan then pulled out the December issue of InStyle magazine and turned to a full-page advertisement featuring his wife, Michelle, modeling NFL women’s apparel, a photo that also recently ran in The Post.“Yes,’’ Ryan said proudly, “I’m also married to a supermodel. We are very similar in that way.’’

I agree it was lame of welker, and it's great it motivated the jets.. but still think it's a lot of fake indignation

great post above dom..

That definition of Patriots Way sounds about right to me. I've always found it so absurd how much people have sucked off the "system" and how that was the one key to success, meanwhile ignoring the entire concept that the team scooped up a HOF QB with a 6th round pick and have since watched their championship-caliber defense crumble around them.

I also completely agree on the concept of the Jets being their own team. This team has been trying to be a copy-cat since at least Herm's hiring. He spent years tearing apart our defense trying to build this defense into the Tampa Two. Then Mangini comes along, starts over from scratch and tries to install the "Patriots Way". He took a team with undersized LBs, no NT and only one quality DL and changed them into a two-gap read-and-react 3-4 team overnight. However, Ryan has done anything but make this team the "Ravens North". Sure he brought over a couple of players and coaches, but this team has been about anything but copying where he came from. This team's entire offensive and defensive strategies have been built on the concept of playing to his players strengths. That didn't involve dumping some of the Jets most talented players and replacing them with sub-standard replacements that fit his system. What a crazy concept, huh?

rex is a great coach, i also think tanny and woody have done a great job aquiring talent, which helps. We definitely have a great FO/coaching staff in place, and if sanchex cooperates, we'll have to get used to prosperity

The Pats used the barbs to get pissy and whine and tried to come back in what they thought was a clever way that wound up blowing up in their face.

The Jets used Welker's crap to fuel themselves and give them a target for their aggression.

If Welker's on the field that first series, maybe the intended pass goes to him instead of to Green-Ellis, then maybe we never get that first interception, then maybe NE takes an easy 7-0 lead on their first drive, then maybe we go on to lose since we can't assume the rest of the game plays out exactly the same. Hey, maybe Brady really likes women also. But maybe's don't make it so.

What happened happened. Welker shot off his mouth, BB benched him the first series, and Brady threw his only pick in hundreds of attempts on that series. If that really changed the game, then baiting Welker into his comedy routine may have cost NE the season. Maybe.

That's my point. The Pats are hypocrites for acting like they are above all that when they do it all the time. I don't think we should be hypocrites by saying "they can't do that". Scott has every right to be angry. They took at shot at the Jets and the Jets handed them their asses. If you want to talk, you have to back it up.

I just don't think it's a big deal that they dared to talk. Sure the wife stuff might have been "slightly" worse, but IMO it was more a shot at Rex liking feet than his wife and there was certainly more demented stuff in those videos to hit on. I also don't think it's any worse than calling Brady an a$$hole or threatening to end Welker's career.

On the other hand, if you actually believe that the Jets used that bullsh*t to "fuel themselves and give them a target for their aggression" then you probably are a hypocrite. Weren't you one of us saying that these teams don't need any motivation and any bulletin board material the Jets give the Pats is a joke? It helps the Jets, but not the Pats?

That's my point. The Pats are hypocrites for acting like they are above all that when they do it all the time. I don't think we should be hypocrites by saying "they can't do that". Scott has every right to be angry. They took at shot at the Jets and the Jets handed them their asses. If you want to talk, you have to back it up.

I just don't think it's a big deal that they dared to talk. Sure the wife stuff might have been "slightly" worse, but IMO it was more a shot at Rex liking feet than his wife and there was certainly more demented stuff in those videos to hit on. I also don't think it's any worse than calling Brady an a$$hole or threatening to end Welker's career.

On the other hand, if you actually believe that the Jets used that bullsh*t to "fuel themselves and give them a target for their aggression" then you probably are a hypocrite. Weren't you one of us saying that these teams don't need any motivation and any bulletin board material the Jets give the Pats is a joke? It helps the Jets, but not the Pats?

I felt that way until I saw Bart Scott's postgame interview. Dude really took it to heart. That wasn't phony at all.

If Welker's on the field that first series, maybe the intended pass goes to him instead of to Green-Ellis, then maybe we never get that first interception, then maybe NE takes an easy 7-0 lead on their first drive, then maybe we go on to lose since we can't assume the rest of the game plays out exactly the same. Hey, maybe Brady really likes women also. But maybe's don't make it so.

What happened happened. Welker shot off his mouth, BB benched him the first series, and Brady threw his only pick in hundreds of attempts on that series. If that really changed the game, then baiting Welker into his comedy routine may have cost NE the season. Maybe.

Are Pats fans really that stupid Sperm?

So Welker being on the field would have made it a better pass? Brady didn't throw that pick because Green-Ellis sucks. He threw a horrifically bad pass there. Welker wouldn't have helped.

Archived