Don La Greca lost it

stoicsentry

On ESPN a minute ago. A jet fan called in saying why are you knocking the jets, Don?

He sounds like a freakin VEIN POPPED in his head!!! OMFG. Did anyone else hear this? LOLLLL wowwww

I heard it. I thought he was joking around by going all "over the top" on the caller (who was right BTW)

On ESPN a minute ago. A jet fan called in saying why are you knocking the jets, Don?

He sounds like a freakin VEIN POPPED in his head!!! OMFG. Did anyone else hear this? LOLLLL wowwww

He has hated on them this whole post season...he has no business working the pre/post game show hes a fat a$$ giants fan with a bad hairdo

I went by the 1050 setup outside the new stadium, he sits there with Greg Buttle smoking a cigar while on the air very douchey

Seriously I am turning this jackass off at this point. Serious downer. Basically, 1 hour of talking about how if they don't win this game they may never go to a Superbowl ever again! AHHHHHHH!!! He knows EXACTLY what he is doing and that the Jets fan psyche is susceptible to this.

But we have to remember things have changed. Rex is here. I believe in him.

ESPN has some really bad radio guys...Legrecca, Kay...they both suck..

MIKE and MIKE are the only guys that you can listen to...oh..and sometimes Colin...

I stick with Francesa. He asically admitted to a caller yesterday he down plays the Jets just to ait the fans....ratings. SNY is pretty decent from 5-7 pm. Lots of Jets stuff.

No way, Le greca has a point. If we dont make it the season is a disappointment. From the moment Rex signed Morts bus it was about one goal: WINNING THE SUPER BOWL. We were here last year and missed out. I dont want to be the AFC version of the Eagles and neither do any of you. Sure its a great accomplishment but no one remembers who lost the AFC/NFC Championship game, they remember those who went on to win the super bowl.

No way, Le greca has a point. If we dont make it the season is a disappointment. From the moment Rex signed Morts bus it was about one goal: WINNING THE SUPER BOWL. We were here last year and missed out. I dont want to be the AFC version of the Eagles and neither do any of you. Sure its a great accomplishment but no one remembers who lost the AFC/NFC Championship game, they remember those who went on to win the super bowl.

What does that have to do with him saying they'll never make it back?

You guys sharing a crystal ball? ;)

What does that have to do with him saying they'll never make it back?

You guys sharing a crystal ball? ;)

Yeah, that was my point. This week is all about being pumped for the opportunity to go to a Superbowl. All he was focusing on was, if you don't win now, you may very well never win. That's theoretically possible - though I doubt it. Still, the issue is where you put your emphasis. It almost felt WORSE to be a championship contender that way he put it.

Do you expect them to have a different goal next season? Jets fans remember 1998 pretty well. I keep hearing about how that team was a good reference and overachieved big time. I remember the 1986 team pretty well and they didn't even make it to the AFC championship and don't get me started on the AJ Duhe game.

Seriously I am turning this jackass off at this point. Serious downer. Basically, 1 hour of talking about how if they don't win this game they may never go to a Superbowl ever again! AHHHHHHH!!! He knows EXACTLY what he is doing and that the Jets fan psyche is susceptible to this.

But we have to remember things have changed. Rex is here. I believe in him.

Sorry to go back to this but the entire premise is just so baseless and frustrating it's become more annoying the more I've thought about it.

Mark Sanchez 24

Shonn Greene 25

Santonio Holmes 26

Braylon Edwards 27

Jerricho Cotchery 28

Dustin Keller 26

Nick Mangold 27

D'Brick 27

Matt Slausen 24

Mike DeVito 26

David Harris 26

Antonio Cromartie 27

Darrelle Revis 25

Brodney Poole 26

Eric Smith 27

...w/ a 2nd year HC to boot.

How can ANYONE say in their right mind it's all or nothing this year??? Of course there are never any guarantees but seriously, what an idiotic, ignorant thing to say!!!

Sorry to go back to this but the entire premise is just so baseless and frustrating it's become more annoying the more I've thought about it.

Mark Sanchez 24

Shonn Greene 25

Santonio Holmes 26

Braylon Edwards 27

Jerricho Cotchery 28

Dustin Keller 26

Nick Mangold 27

D'Brick 27

Matt Slausen 24

Mike DeVito 26

David Harris 26

Antonio Cromartie 27

Darrelle Revis 25

Brodney Poole 26

Eric Smith 27

How can ANYONE say in their right mind it's all or nothing this year??? Of course there are never any guarantees but seriously, what an idiotic, ignorant thing to say!!!

Great point, Hess!

I don't listen to La Greca or anyone else for that matter, but for him to make that point is idiotic. The Jets have a young core. Why would this be the last shot?

Yeah, or the NFL version of the Pistons.

Mark Sanchez 24

Shonn Greene 25

Santonio Holmes 26 FREE AGENT

Braylon Edwards 27 FREE AGENT

Jerricho Cotchery 28

Dustin Keller 26

Nick Mangold 27

D'Brick 27

Matt Slausen 24

Mike DeVito 26

David Harris 26 FREE AGENT

Antonio Cromartie 27 FREE AGENT

Darrelle Revis 25

Brodney Poole 26 FREE AGENT

Eric Smith 27 FREE AGENT

The problem is that we have a ton of key free agents this offseason (including Brad Smith, Wayne Hunter and Shaun Ellis who you didn't list)

The problem is that we have a ton of key free agents this offseason (including Brad Smith, Wayne Hunter and Shaun Ellis who you didn't list)

It wasn't my point to list every player on the team. Do you really think Edwards, Holmes, Cro and Harris will all not be returning? Not sure what you are trying to say? That this team cannot remain as competitive without B. Smith, Hunter, and Ellis? The core nucleaus is still there and still very young... even without one of the 4 Key FA's (BE, SA, Cro and SH) (b/c there is no way I see them losing more than 1, without a sufficient replacement.

It wasn't my point to list every player on the team. Do you really think Edwards, Holmes, Cro and Harris will all not be returning? Not sure what you are trying to say? That this team cannot remain as competitive without B. Smith, Hunter, and Ellis? The core nucleaus is still there and still very young... even without one of the 4 Key FA's (BE, SA, Cro and SH) (b/c there is no way I see them losing more than 1, without a sufficient replacement.

All? No. But this team, going into next season, already needs an upgrade on the DL (age, between Pouha and Ellis, and lack of a dominant player), at OLB (we have two decent but not great OLBs) and S. Our top two WRs are FAs, as is our 4th WR/KR/JOAT. We can save cap space by cutting Woody . . . but the guy we can see replacing him, Hunter, is also a FA. Our #2 corner is a FA. Our best LB is a FA. Two of our top 3 safeties are FA. LT, who made up half of our rushing offense, will be 32. Taylor is ancient. We need a FG kicker.

This team will have significant holes going into this offseason, and the odds that they resign all 4 of the big FAs (Holmes, Edwards, Harris and Cro) are low unless there's no cap. If there is a cap, and by some miracle we did sign all 4, then the odds that we'll be filling in one of those other holes via FA is next to nil. And we only have 6 draft picks, with only 2 in the first 90.

This team will likely look very different next year. Hopefully, Tannenbaum can continue being the magnificent bastard he's been since he got the big chair, and the team will be ready for another major run at the Lombardi. But that's by no means a foregone conclusion, and it's not insane to say it's more likely than not that we will be significantly weaker as a team than we are now.

All? No. But this team, going into next season, already needs an upgrade on the DL (age, between Pouha and Ellis, and lack of a dominant player), at OLB (we have two decent but not great OLBs) and S. Our top two WRs are FAs, as is our 4th WR/KR/JOAT. We can save cap space by cutting Woody . . . but the guy we can see replacing him, Hunter, is also a FA. Our #2 corner is a FA. Our best LB is a FA. Two of our top 3 safeties are FA. LT, who made up half of our rushing offense, will be 32. Taylor is ancient. We need a FG kicker.

This team will have significant holes going into this offseason, and the odds that they resign all 4 of the big FAs (Holmes, Edwards, Harris and Cro) are low unless there's no cap. If there is a cap, and by some miracle we did sign all 4, then the odds that we'll be filling in one of those other holes via FA is next to nil. And we only have 6 draft picks, with only 2 in the first 90.

This team will likely look very different next year. Hopefully, Tannenbaum can continue being the magnificent bastard he's been since he got the big chair, and the team will be ready for another major run at the Lombardi. But that's by no means a foregone conclusion, and it's not insane to say it's more likely than not that we will be significantly weaker as a team than we are now.

Hunter, Smith and Ellis will all be relatively cheap to re-sign. Harris has to be the top priority but I am pretty sure the only reason he hasn't been locked up is because the Jets were handcuffed by the RFA rules in the uncapped year. I can see Braylon giving the Jets a discount and I don't think Santonio wants to leave.

You are not taking into consideration possible cuts like Taylor, Gholston, maybe a Woody that can and would free up more cap space to resign key FA's. You can look at it either way glass half full or empty. You're still ommitting the fact that the core base (i.e. Pro bowl players) on this team are still very young and under 28.

I personally have a very good feeling about at least 3 of the 4 if not all being back. And if not, a good replacement. And with that said I find it interesting we had to hear all year about that young NE Defense just getting better and better. Well, Replace John Connor with T Rich as the starter, give Greene the first touch and their average age on offense would have been 26.18 years old. Aaaand if you really want to make a point and get technical, i.e. consider one of Holmes/Edwards being gone and Cotch as the starter, it jumps to an average age of a whopping 26.27. The average age of Pats defensive starters this year was 26.09.

Compound that with the best player on our Defense locked-in (er, well sorta I guess) and is all but 25 years old.

Of course there will be changes. Of course there are aging vets and FA's to think about. JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL.

The point to all this is, it is ABSOLUTELY RETARDED to try and make this sound like this is the ONLY chance this team will ever have to get to the Super Bowl.

Especially given that minus Free Agency, there is probably one starter that could be considered, leaning towards over the hill, in Ellis. The rest... LT, who as good as he's been, could be replaced if the FO does their homework on replacement and he isn't even the best back on the team... and Jason Taylor, who for a couple of the big plays he's made, has shown his age more times than not.

Their Defensive Leader is 30, not 34. it's not like there isn't a couple years left in the tank. Pace and Thomas 30 and 31 and even though it's a different agrument for a different day, that position could probably use an upgrade anyway.

NT's can usually hang in there longer and given his late start I'm not overly concerned about Pouha being 31. Great! Let's get some depth there for the future. DeVito is an unheralded stud at 26 and is the Aaron Smith of this defense.

Not to mention the first round draft pick with all the talent in the world is 23.

So please. Again, give me a break this team has no hope for the future. ******* retarded.

I think your agrument is apples to oranges though Doggin. Not saying there aren't concerns, just saying in reference or comparison to the rest of the league, this team looks pretty good for the future.

Oh, and not to forget the youth at depth with, Lowery 24, Coleman 27, Cole 27, Westerman 25, Gilbert 24, Ducasse 23, Turner 26,

Some of these guys could and can step up.

Hunter, Smith and Ellis will all be relatively cheap to re-sign. Harris has to be the top priority but I am pretty sure the only reason he hasn't been locked up is because the Jets were handcuffed by the RFA rules in the uncapped year. I can see Braylon giving the Jets a discount and I don't think Santonio wants to leave.

Which Smith? I doubt Brad will come cheap; someone will do exactly what Carolina did with Wallace Wright this year - overpay for him plus offer him the chance to be a starter. Eric Smith will likely sign somewhere for a reasonable price; might be here. But he's making himself money with his play in the postseason.

The same goes for Hunter; he's showing himself to be a starting caliber OT, and he will want to start somewhere. So unless we cut Woody and offer him the job, we probably won't be a consideration. It's likely that he signs somewhere else, IMO, since we also drafted Ducasse as our "RT of the future" and won't want to foreclose that possibility yet.

Holmes has shown no inclination to give a discount.

Ellis will likely come back relatively cheap.

But that's by no means a foregone conclusion, and it's not insane to say it's more likely than not that we will be significantly weaker as a team than we are now.

None of those potential free agents will have a greater impact than Mark Sanchez continuing to develop.

That's the difference with having a franchise QB. A team could lose some key FA and it won't be a major impact because who the team has behind center.

The Jets could sign only 2 of the 4 key FA and not sign anybody new of significance and could still be a stronger team because of a better Sanchez.

Thank you! It just took me 20 minutes and 3 paragraphs to make the same point.

Haha!

For the first time in the history of the franchise, the Jets are in the Championship Game for the second year in a row. Which, coincidentally, happens to be the first two years with their new head coach and young QB. While it may be the last time the Jets ever get there ever, this hardly seems like a do or die moment in franchise history.

No matter what happens in the offseason, me & T0mShane have faith in Mike Tannenbaum to field a quality team next year.

Archived