Becoming a Blocker on a Turnover

JiFtheOracle

I'm watching the replay, and nobody ran with Harris to block.

I bring this up because I recall watching an NFLN special on the Steelers run to the SB. Tomlin was telling his team before the SB to get out and block down field for whoever is carrying the rock after a turnover. He told them how it was the difference in the Super Bowl when he coached in TB. Then the Harrison played happened right before the half against Zona when they were about to score and you could see the Steelers running down field to block. Changed the game dramatically.

Now obviously Harrison's TD was just an incredible individual effort, but look at this uniformed blocking. Guys start coming out of nowhere on the screen to make a path to the endzone. The second they see he picked it, the whole team sprinted down field.

Now check out how nobody is on the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIEdMzkYXe4

That play was slow. Trevor Pryce stops. When you see the back angle, Devito and Smith are jogging...and then right at the end when its clear he's going to get get caught, Smith shows up on the screen alone. You telling me one of our DB's couldnt have got down there to block. They cant out run Crumpler who was lined up on the opposite side blocking Bryan Thomas, who clearly gave up on the play too.

Hopefully the CS is preaching this...I'm sure they are because Big Ben is known to force the issue and cough it up. Defensive TD's are often the difference in games of this magnitude.

leave rex alone, he did a good job on sunday and your attacks are unwarrented

ih8u

i<3rex

whether they scored or not that play set the tone for the defense and they used that confidence all game long.

Sure. Could you imagine how much more pumped they would have been if they scored? Either way, we got no points on the drive against a sh*tty defense. And this isnt about the Pats. Getting TD's against the Steelers is tough. Hell, the Ravens go a defensive TD and lost. Our offense is going to need all the help they can get.

Any other QB in the league would have got us 7 anyway! :blink:

True. But they didnt even give him a shot. So thats not the point. The Steelers D is.

I'm not complaining. I'm just brining up a logical point with some irony.

Tom

I absolutely agree....was wondering why Cro or some other speedy player wasn't down there helping Harris

Never realized Harris was so slow

THis team is good enough to win this game, by not losing it with stupid plays

More teams lose games, rather than win it themselves

Tom

I absolutely agree....was wondering why Cro or some other speedy player wasn't down there helping Harris

Never realized Harris was so slow

THis team is good enough to win this game, by not losing it with stupid plays

More teams lose games, rather than win it themselves

only against bad teams, that philosophy is good enough to let you contend for a WC every year and never win a super bowl..

You're really going to complain that dinosaurs Trevor Pryce and Mike DeVito didn't run 80 yards down a field and block? Really?

I'm not complaining. We won. I'm bring up a point.

He stopped running. Their Oline was running. The play wasnt over. You dont give up. What if he fumbled? Alge Crumpler is no spring chicken.

I agree with the OP. That could have been a huge a defense scored TD on that play. Nobody knew what the end result was going to be at point in the game. And it was a pure lack of effort that was bothering.

On the other hand it also shows how much better we are compared to the Pats. The JETS did not play a perfect game and yet they won quite easily on the road.

But that might not be the case this coming Sunday or the one after that.

let me just add that field goal looked good to me. i saw it live, i've watched the NFL replay... it still looks good at least to me. the football crosses above the upright, that's a good field goal.

so to say they didn't get any points is technically true but i maintain they got robbed and could have won a challenge.

psychologically the Jets picked off Brady who didn't throw a pick for a million years it was a big play for both teams.

I agree with the OP. That could have been a huge a defense scored TD on that play. Nobody knew what the end result was going to be at point in the game. And it was a pure lack of effort that was bothering.

On the other hand it also shows how much better we are compared to the Pats. The JETS did not play a perfect game and yet they won quite easily on the road.

But that might not be the case this coming Sunday or the one after that.

Exactly.

This isnt the Colts and the Pats defense. Our offense produced 1 TD the last time we faced them. And if you recall, it was defensive points that was the difference in the game. F Jason Gaylor.

let me just add that field goal looked good to me. i saw it live, i've watched the NFL replay... it still looks good at least to me. the football crosses above the upright, that's a good field goal.

so to say they didn't get any points is technically true but i maintain they got robbed and could have won a challenge.

psychologically the Jets picked off Brady who didn't throw a pick for a million years it was a big play for both teams.

I though it was good as well.

He stopped running. Their Oline was running. The play wasnt over. You dont give up. What if he fumbled? Alge Crumpler is no spring chicken.

yes u r.. rex had these guys ready to play and you are questioning thier effort..

Good point about the lack of blocking. At the time I was more upset that the offense could not move the ball at all. Then the missed FG was the cherry on top of the big turd the offense laid on that drive. I was convinced that coming away with 0 points off that turnover would come back to bite us in the a$$ later.

Fortunately, the Jets were on a mission that day.

It's funny, it showed everyone being excited after the pick. When Harris got tackled, I was actually pretty pissed off.

Yeah it was a huge play, but with our offense not exactly lighting it up you have to make more of an effort. It's the playoffs and you have to make these chances count. At the time I was like where the **** is Cro? Revis? Poole? Someone take the ball off the guy or at least throw a ******* block. Pryce doesn't have to run downfield but Jesus at least turn and hit a lineman.

Pace was the only guy I saw make a big block. It was a ******* outstanding play by Harris who clearly isn't the most natural ball carrier or long distance runner. My only complaint was that he juked Brady. Even if it meant falling over I would have lowered the shoulder through his helmet.

Why are you guys attacking JiF on this? He's right. This is the playoffs. The game before the SB. Yes, I expect Devito, Ellis, and everyone else on the field to run and block on an INT or FR. Is that really too much to ask?!

Thank you.

yes u r.. rex had these guys ready to play and you are questioning thier effort..

**** you.

I just fired off a tersely worded letter to Woody Johnson complaining about this very important issue. I thanked him in advance for addressing it forthwith.

Kiss my a$$.

It's funny, it showed everyone being excited after the pick. When Harris got tackled, I was actually pretty pissed off.

Yeah it was a huge play, but with our offense not exactly lighting it up you have to make more of an effort. It's the playoffs and you have to make these chances count. At the time I was like where the **** is Cro? Revis? Poole? Someone take the ball off the guy or at least throw a ******* block. Pryce doesn't have to run downfield but Jesus at least turn and hit a lineman.

Pace was the only guy I saw make a big block. It was a ******* outstanding play by Harris who clearly isn't the most natural ball carrier or long distance runner. My only complaint was that he juked Brady. Even if it meant falling over I would have lowered the shoulder through his helmet.

Great ******* point.

I think everyone was so shocked to shiit Tommy threw a pick they pee'd a little. it's hard to run when you pee a little trust me.

JiF, good point on the DBs and LBs. I thought 1 or 2 of them should have ran down to block for Harris.

But there is no way in hell would I expect 300 lbs lineman like Pryce, Devito or Pouha to do it or expect them to do it.

Finally, I blame Harris. Not for running out of gas, but taking a wrong route. Watch the replay again. Harris runs to the middle of the field where he is tackled at the ten. If he had run to the left sideline he would have increased the distance between him and Crumpler and also given a teammate more time to block for him.

JiF, good point on the DBs and LBs. I thought 1 or 2 of them should have ran down to block for Harris.

But there is no way in hell would I expect 300 lbs lineman like Pryce, Devito or Pouha to do it or expect them to do it.

Finally, I blame Harris. Not for running out of gas, but taking a wrong route. Watch the replay again. Harris runs to the middle of the field where he is tackled at the ten. If he had run to the left sideline he would have increased the distance between him and Crumpler and also given a teammate more time to block for him.

I like the way you think, I may need to hire you as counsel before my next stress test.

Why not? Everyone on the Steelers sprinted the second the turnover happened. I dont see why our guys cant as well. And I think they should because Ben will give you that chance.

Instead you just stop running and dont even finish the play? They had their 300lb offensive lineman running down the field even though they stood little chance catching him. You play to the whistle. No biggie though. Just think we are going to need it against the Steelers. Found the fact Tomlin brought it up too is ironic.

Archived