That Which Does Not Kill Us

Maxman

by Phil Sullivan on January 24, 2011[edit]

in Featured Editorials

9000ft.jpg

That which does not kill us, only serves to make us stronger.

We have heard it a million times. It is the piece of solace we are told to take out of negative situations. We will grow from this and the result will be different next time.

My question is, as Jets fans, how strong do we need to be exactly?

There has been no shortage of things that almost killed us over the years. I am beginning to wonder if we are in this 50 year strength building exercise that requires us to possess super-human strength. It seems to be where we are headed, although none of us is sure why exactly.

Last year as I walked out of the RCA Dome the Colts fans were celebrating and calling Jets fans every name in the book. Did I get stronger from that? As a fan of the visiting team, the walk of shame after a loss is the essence of pain.

This year so many Steelers fans didn’t even stay for the post game celebration. Thousands of fans left which I just could not comprehend. Jets fans everywhere have been hoping, praying and clinging to the belief that the 40 year drought may have been nearing an end. Yearning for that victory celebration. Yet when the Steelers won, a lot of fans didn’t stay for the celebration.

Why?

Because they have won a lot.

Does this make me stronger? Not sure how seeing another fan base that is almost numb from winning so much can benefit me. I am not gifted with musical talent but when I think of the Jets heartbreaking seasons it plays in my head like the Billy Joel song, “We didn’t start the fire”. A.J. Duhe, fake spike, 1998, 2010 was almost great.

If you ask 100 Jets fans what loss was the toughest for them, you will get many different answers. No two losses are the same. No two fans have the exact same reaction.

This is not an indictment of the current New York Jets regime. Two years and two Championship game appearances is something everyone would have signed up for. The Jets are no longer the laughing stock of the league. Jet Nation can certainly take pride in that fact.

The question lingers though. When does our strength pay off? When do the Jets end the drought and hoist the Lombardi trophy? On days like today, the pain of losing makes that seem like an impossible destination.

Then the Jets have made me Hercules. Nice to know if I have to pull trees out by their roots in my backyard. But I just want a Super Bowl ... ;)

ahh I'm a lot better today than I was last night and even this morning Dennis-as I've said a bunch of times already we had a good season almost 3X as many good times than bad...

Well said on all counts. It's a nice badge of honor to know that my fanhood has been tested more than that of people who root for the Pats or Steelers, but it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when we sh*t the bed every year and Pink Hat Nation and the Yinzersluts keep stockpiling reasons to use exclamation points on their Facebook statuses.

ahh I'm a lot better today than I was last night and even this morning Dennis-as I've said a bunch of times already we had a good season almost 3X as many good times than bad...

It was a great year, Jimmy. To beat Manning in his house, and Brady in his house and then almost come back to beat Rothlisberger in his house after being down 24 - 0 is really impressive. And we finally have a franchise QB. I just hope he has both BE and Tone to throw to next year. If anyone can do it, Mr. T can.

Belichick say that "Things are never as bad as they appear or good as they appear."

Pretty true.

God what a horrible night. I couldnt sleep worth a damn.

Im slowly but surely starting to feel better, and Im still wearing my colors! GO JETS!!!

I agree DLJ but as an elderly neighbor put it this morning. Theres always next year and you gotta be used to this by now. :D

Look on the bright side NYJETS merchandise 50%.

God what a horrible night. I couldnt sleep worth a damn.

Im slowly but surely starting to feel better, and Im still wearing my colors! GO JETS!!!

Keep rocking that Jets gear :) I know you all hate us Pats fans bring up the Pats but in the 2009 & 2010 seasons it comes down to this: Jets>Pats. That was painful to type!

BTW: The Jets will be favoured to win the AFCE in 2011, as they should.

Keep rocking that Jets gear :) I know you all hate us Pats fans bring up the Pats but in the 2009 & 2010 seasons it comes down to this: Jets>Pats. That was painful to type!

BTW: The Jets will be favoured to win the AFCE in 2011, as they should.

I doubt it. Although- the Pats have some big decisions to make this offseason on offense.

I doubt it. Although- the Pats have some big decisions to make this offseason on offense.

The Jets have showed that they are a resilient football team. They will be odds on favourties to win the Division. Rex pretty much said it last night in his presser: The Jets can't expect to win the Super Bowl by going on the road for every game.

The Jets have showed that they are a resilient football team. They will be odds on favourties to win the Division. Rex pretty much said it last night in his presser: The Jets can't expect to win the Super Bowl by going on the road for every game.

That's true, but there isnt much you can do with a team in your own division going 14-2. We split with the Pats(more than acceptable imo) and they only lose one other game. The Jets weren't winning the division this year.

Hopefully the Jets exposed that Patriots offense to other teams and how to defend it. For the lack of speed they have- they really had no business scoring that many points.

That's true, but there isnt much you can do with a team in your own division going 14-2. We split with the Pats(more than acceptable imo) and they only lose one other game. The Jets weren't winning the division this year.

Hopefully the Jets exposed that Patriots offense to other teams and how to defend it. For the lack of speed they have- they really had no business scoring that many points.

As you know anything can happen, kind of like the Dolphins winning the AFCE in 2008, but I'm of the opinion that that Jets and Pats will be the teams to beat in the AFCE for years to come and that the Jets will win the division a few times.

Archived