The Jason Taylor Effect

bLguerriero1

So I've been thinking, and I know a lot of people have mentioned things like this, but how huge is Jason Taylor. Not as a player because he was pretty bad all year, but as a recruiting tool. You have a guy who was known as a Jets hater, many media sources have proof of this, comes to the Jets and the only thing he has to say is how this was the most fun year he ever had, loved it blah blah etc. Maybe not a big deal this year because we have so many guys we need to sign of our own, but in the future, with the mix of Rex and his staff and guys like Jason Taylor doing like a Mike Mussina to CC, we could have a great opportunity to reload every year now that we have respected veterans that will stick their necks out for us. Its such a new feeling for us Jets fan, just thought I'd mention it.

totally thought this thread would be about something else.. agreed though, include LT saying Jets or retired, people want to play here.. I'm a bit skeptical however that people will take less money to do so, but I wouldn't be shocked..

totally thought this thread would be about something else.. agreed though, include LT saying Jets or retired, people want to play here.. I'm a bit skeptical however that people will take less money to do so, but I wouldn't be shocked..

I don't think people coming at massively reduced rates like some predicting is at all realistic, but you only need to look at a quick once over of this franchises recent history to see areas that you'll see improvement. You had players who actually turned down bigger contracts from the Jets than the teams they signed with. Other players simply using the Jets as a negotiating tool for their signings with other teams. You had John Lynch refuse to play for the Jets, despite them being coached by the father of his godchild. You had Antoine Winfield agreeing to a contract and then bolting to the Vikings.

Then two years ago the Jets hire Rex Ryan and a few months later you have Jim Leonhard taking less money to play for the Jets than he was offered by the Rams. You're not going to see some sort of huge massive difference that will save the Jets millions of dollars, but instead the Jets will be the ones who look great to players and have the leverage in negotiations over other teams, as opposed to the ones who keeping their fingers crossed and hoping for the best while the more attractive teams take who they want, and they settle for the David Barretts and Reggie Tongues of the world. It doesn't mean they won't have to open up the wallets still, because they certainly will, it just means that will be enough to get these guys, when it wasn't always in the past.

I don't think people coming at massively reduced rates like some predicting is at all realistic, but you only need to look at a quick once over of this franchises recent history to see areas that you'll see improvement. You had players who actually turned down bigger contracts from the Jets than the teams they signed with. Other players simply using the Jets as a negotiating tool for their signings with other teams. You had John Lynch refuse to play for the Jets, despite them being coached by the father of his godchild. You had Antoine Winfield agreeing to a contract and then bolting to the Vikings.

Then two years ago the Jets hire Rex Ryan and a few months later you have Jim Leonhard taking less money to play for the Jets than he was offered by the Rams. You're not going to see some sort of huge massive difference that will save the Jets millions of dollars, but instead the Jets will be the ones who look great to players and have the leverage in negotiations over other teams, as opposed to the ones who keeping their fingers crossed and hoping for the best while the more attractive teams take who they want, and they settle for the David Barretts and Reggie Tongues of the world. It doesn't mean they won't have to open up the wallets still, because they certainly will, it just means that will be enough to get these guys, when it wasn't always in the past.

All good points. It's definitely a big factor, I agree

Wasn't the whole "people want to come here" thing done in '08? Yes, the Jets, one of two football teams in the biggest sports market on the planet, have become an legitimate landing spot for guys who want to win.

Yes but we have Rex. He could convince Osama Bin Laden to leave Pakistan and play for the Jets, then convince a solid amount of Jets fans to be on board with the move. Klecko, I'm looking at you.

I think the older veteran looking to have some fun on a 2 year deal with a chance to win will sign for less here than he would another team. I think the middle of the road player (guy only going to max between 1.5 and 2.5M) might do the same feeling if he plays hard he will get a chance to play and flourish. I cant imagine any type of actual stud player at 26 or 27 years old saying they will let a few million sit on the table to go play anywhere.

I think the older veteran looking to have some fun on a 2 year deal with a chance to win will sign for less here than he would another team. I think the middle of the road player (guy only going to max between 1.5 and 2.5M) might do the same feeling if he plays hard he will get a chance to play and flourish. I cant imagine any type of actual stud player at 26 or 27 years old saying they will let a few million sit on the table to go play anywhere.

If it were to come down to a 2-3 million dollar difference and the chance to play for Rex and a title or go to a team like the 49ers or Cardinals or some place with an unstable coaching/ownership situation, I got a feeling most guys would take less money and come to the Jets

Reggie Tongue. I forgot about that legend. Master of the art of missed tackles. He saw more balls sail over his head than Perez Hilton. Or Paris Hilton.

If he comes back I say woody throws in renaming the Taylor ham sandwich to a Jayson Taylor Ham Sandwich. He is getting older by the day. Unless Greenbay, Pittsburgh, Pats or Colts want him this is his best chance at an SB next year. BTW when he was one year younger none of these teams wanted him.

If it were to come down to a 2-3 million dollar difference and the chance to play for Rex and a title or go to a team like the 49ers or Cardinals or some place with an unstable coaching/ownership situation, I got a feeling most guys would take less money and come to the Jets

I think it has a lot to do with their prior earnings and prior teams. If they haven;t had that big pay day I think they go where the money is. If they have been on a winning team they may not mind playing for a dog to get paid. I think we may see this with Holmes and Edwards this off season.

To the op: Very cool thread thanx.

I think it has a lot to do with their prior earnings and prior teams. If they haven;t had that big pay day I think they go where the money is. If they have been on a winning team they may not mind playing for a dog to get paid. I think we may see this with Holmes and Edwards this off season.

To the op: Very cool thread thanx.

I disagree, if you've got at least 20+ million guaranteed on the table either way and the only difference is a couple of million more to play for a team that sucks and/or has a shaky coaching situation or go to a team, where to a man, the players love the coach and has a legitimate shot at winning the SB, you go for the glory.

I'd be more in favor of Bin Laden playing for the Jets than Jason Taylor.

He’s tall enough, and he’s certainly elusive. He would open up a whole new market for PSL’s, but I just don’t think he has the upper body strength to hold at the POA. He also might be a locker room problem.

Pass

I disagree, if you've got at least 20+ million guaranteed on the table either way and the only difference is a couple of million more to play for a team that sucks and/or has a shaky coaching situation or go to a team, where to a man, the players love the coach and has a legitimate shot at winning the SB, you go for the glory.

No.. If they are coming off their rookie deal have a wife couple dozen kids and yet to get that big pay day.. they will TAKE THE MONEY. Every freaking time bro. But someone who has already got paid and has never been on a winning team will more likely take a couple bucks left to play for a good coach and a contender.

you really think there's only 1 answer to this question? You can pretty much guarenteee it will vary by the individual..

I think you are giving these scumbags way to much credit. Or your just doing your typical homerific slant. But these guys are greedy mofo's and they want more...hence why we might have a lock out next season.

Most of these thugs aint doing sh*t after their career is over, they are going to get it while they can. Hell, we have a douche on our team who's already planning his next holdout and Rex made him who he is today.

I think you are giving these scumbags way to much credit. Or your just doing your typical homerific slant. But these guys are greedy mofo's and they want more...hence why we might have a lock out next season.

Most of these thugs aint doing sh*t after their career is over, they are going to get it while they can. Hell, we have a douche on our team who's already planning his next holdout and Rex made him who he is today.

OK Angry McAngerman. :rolleyes:

Not everybody will but some guys will. Like CTM said, it will vary by the individual. .

I bet a gritty guy like Wes Welker would take less money to win a title.

Of course it does.

The guys you really want go for the glory. The POS's go for the money.

This again puts the Jets in a great position. Rex is nothing but a positive.

POS's? Guys that want to feed their families? Guys that want some extra money to put into that charitable foundation they run? Why are they POS's? Guys might prefer to play for the team they rooted for as a kid, or live in a city their wife or kids prefer. There are probably some ultra-religious guys that aren't so happy with the foot thing. There are dozens of reasons guys might choose one team over another. They are all very personal and equally valid. The coaching situation is only one. I don't agree with this "go for the glory" BS. Go for the glory, like LeBron and Bosh?

I guess its possible. Bart Scott held the Jets up for an extra year even though he was going to be the centerpiece of his coaches defense, but his other option was a pretty good team in Baltimore. I tend to think most athletes that are 27 years old dont really buy into the "winning team" thought. I think most believe that there is plenty of time to get better and win under their ideal terms. I think its when they make that turn past 30 and realize that the career is not as long as they thought where they start chasing rings rather than chasing money.

POS's? Guys that want to feed their families? Guys that want some extra money to put into that charitable foundation they run? Why are they POS's? Guys might prefer to play for the team they rooted for as a kid, or live in a city their wife or kids prefer. There are probably some ultra-religious guys that aren't so happy with the foot thing. There are dozens of reasons guys might choose one team over another. They are all very personal and equally valid. The coaching situation is only one. I don't agree with this "go for the glory" BS. Go for the glory, like LeBron and Bosh?

Say what you want, I personally think LeBron is a punk who would rather play with his friends than take on the responsibility of being the man somewhere, but all three of those guys took less money so they could try to win a title together.

There are guys out there that want to win championships. I don't think the Jets can lowball a guy and expect him to sign simply to play for Rex or for the opportunity to win a title. I am talking about a specific situation where the money difference isn't huge and the option is to go and play in a less than ideal situation.

You think if Antrelle Rolle had it to do over he wouldn't tell his agent to call Mike Tannenbaum and take a couple million less to play for the Jets? You know he would.

I guess its possible. Bart Scott held the Jets up for an extra year even though he was going to be the centerpiece of his coaches defense, but his other option was a pretty good team in Baltimore. I tend to think most athletes that are 27 years old dont really buy into the "winning team" thought. I think most believe that there is plenty of time to get better and win under their ideal terms. I think its when they make that turn past 30 and realize that the career is not as long as they thought where they start chasing rings rather than chasing money.

Not everyone is the same. Of course some guys will look for the most money possible, but not everyone.

Plus the teams involved play a role. For example: your choices are to play for the Jets or the Titans and the Titans are offering a couple million more in a signing bonus, say 25 million to 22 million, you really don't think that there would be a fair amount of guys would pick the Jets and a little less cash?

Say what you want, I personally think LeBron is a punk who would rather play with his friends than take on the responsibility of being the man somewhere, but all three of those guys took less money so they could try to win a title together.

There are guys out there that want to win championships. I don't think the Jets can lowball a guy and expect him to sign simply to play for Rex or for the opportunity to win a title. I am talking about a specific situation where the money difference isn't huge and the option is to go and play in a less than ideal situation.

You think if Antrelle Rolle had it to do over he wouldn't tell his agent to call Mike Tannenbaum and take a couple million less to play for the Jets? You know he would.

#1. I know no such thing about Antrelle Rolle.

#2. You are agreeing with me about LeBron. He is "going for the glory" by making a super team. I'm not impressed. I think he's a bigger POS than any number of guys who went for the money. I don't think it's fair to single guys out for going after the last dollar when you know that people do it in the real world all the time.

The NFL is full of mercenaries. I'm not worried about why the guy in on the team or why he is giving his effort. I'm only worried that he is talented and trying hard.

guys in their prime are unlikely to accept a discount but one year ring seekers in the twilight of their careers may.

Yeah, I think we're going to be the new Yankees of baseball. Not in the championships (although hopefully we are like them in that sense!), but in that we can basically reload every season we have to. When you have T.O., Ochocinco, Asomougha, among others, saying that they want to play for you, that's a good sign. Most teams would kill for these 3 players to want to play for them.

#1. I know no such thing about Antrelle Rolle.

#2. You are agreeing with me about LeBron. He is "going for the glory" by making a super team. I'm not impressed. I think he's a bigger POS than any number of guys who went for the money. I don't think it's fair to single guys out for going after the last dollar when you know that people do it in the real world all the time.

The NFL is full of mercenaries. I'm not worried about why the guy in on the team or why he is giving his effort. I'm only worried that he is talented and trying hard.

LeBron DID also go for the money. Look it up, LeBron is making MORE in Miami due to something having to do with certain tax differences.

LeBron DID also go for the money. Look it up, LeBron is making MORE in Miami due to something having to do with certain tax differences.

I don't have to look anything up. It's pretty well known that there is no state income tax in Florida. This isn't news, but the stories said that they all took less to all end up on the same team. I don't think teams can have 3 max guys, but I haven't cared about the NBA cap situation since the Knicks were under it and that was probably before you were born. The Heat aren't the only team they could have picked. Texas, Florida and Tennessee have no or limited income tax.

My point is, not sure why I have to repeat it, I don't give a flaming **** if guys go after the money. That's their business. I don't find any great honor in going after a title. Coming to the Jets because you like the work environment or the schemes or the chance to win is great, but I don't think it makes a guy any better than somebody going for the last dollar. Family first.

I don't have to look anything up. It's pretty well known that there is no state income tax in Florida. This isn't news, but the stories said that they all took less to all end up on the same team. I don't think teams can have 3 max guys, but I haven't cared about the NBA cap situation since the Knicks were under it and that was probably before you were born. The Heat aren't the only team they could have picked. Texas, Florida and Tennessee have no or limited income tax.

My point is, not sure why I have to repeat it, I don't give a flaming **** if guys go after the money. That's their business. I don't find any great honor in going after a title. Coming to the Jets because you like the work environment or the schemes or the chance to win is great, but I don't think it makes a guy any better than somebody going for the last dollar. Family first.

I agree, was just saying that LeBron had to have thought about the $.

Archived