Kevin Mawae: Players know the issues except guys like Cromartie!

Vudu

Kevin Mawae: Players know the issues, except “guys like Cromartie”

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 13, 2011, 8:46 AM EST

When Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie said last month that he thinks leaders of both the NFL and the players’ union are “a–holes,” it was taken by some as a sign that there’s disunity in the ranks of the union.

Now NFL Players’ Association President Kevin Mawae is using Cromartie as an example of a player who doesn’t understand the issues in the players’ looming labor battle with the owners. In an interview with the New York Post, Mawae said most of the players are on board with what the union is trying to accomplish. Then, unprompted, Mawae took a shot at Cromartie.

“I think our players understand the issues,” Mawae said. “If you have guys like Cromartie who want to pop off because they don’t know what’s going on, they haven’t taken the initiative to understand the issues. I truly believe we’re more united than ever before.

But the bottom line is that “guys like Cromartie” are members of the union, too. And if some members of the union, in Mawae’s view, haven’t taken the initiative to understand the issues, it’s going to be awfully difficult for the union to maintain solidarity once those union members have been locked out.

So maybe instead of ripping Cromartie publicly, Mawae should see if he can get Cromartie on board by talking to him privately.

Kevin Mawaes outburst shows why he shouldnt be a Union leader. Battling the people you represent in the press isnt good negotiating tactics.

+1

Politics and negotiations is all about keeping a straight face, keeping you in the "good" side of public image. Mawae's not helping the union's case here...

+1

Politics and negotiations is all about keeping a straight face, keeping you in the "good" side of public image. Mawae's not helping the union's case here...

Disagree. He had to point out that Cromartie was the idiot exception and not part of a groundswell of idiot naysayers that wants to sign the first deal that comes across the table to keeps them in Escalades and almost current with their child support payments.

Disagree. He had to point out that Cromartie was the idiot exception and not part of a groundswell of idiot naysayers that wants to sign the first deal that comes across the table to keeps them in Escalades and almost current with their child support payments.

Actually, he proved the opposite. By saying "guys like Cromartie", that assumes there are others like him and that he is not the exception. A public rift between union members should be ended, rather than encouraged by the union head.

So Kevin, what are the issues the players are so concerned about?

Guess what? Fans hate players and owners. because of you greedy scumbags its impossible for a normal person to afford going to games anymore. Now settle this sh*t and stop depriving us of football.

It's because the fans are such sheep they can get away with this. They will only charge what the market can absorb. If you want prices to go down, just stop paying for everything.

It's just a game. I love football as much as anyone, but I can go for years without watching it. I'm certainly not going to pay for things if I can help it.

This little war of words between Mawae and Cro could just be the beginning to an end for the players union and how it fairs in this CBA agreement. Theres nothing worse than a battle amongst the workers during a union contract negotiations. Watch how quickly more players stop supporting the Union.

It's because the fans are such sheep they can get away with this. They will only charge what the market can absorb. If you want prices to go down, just stop paying for everything.

It's just a game. I love football as much as anyone, but I can go for years without watching it. I'm certainly not going to pay for things if I can help it.

Thats where Im at now. Didnt attend games for the first time in nearly 20 years. Didnt miss it a bit. And if they strike? Oh well. **** em all.

Rule 1 of negotiation is you reign in all of those on your side and present a united front. Even if your own players don't agree, you don't let the opposition see that. It's one thing when Cro pops off his mouth. It's another when the leader throws his own guys under the bus when trying to fight a battle against the opposition. Cro spoke out in the mind set of pretty much every FAN out there, Mawae throwing him under the bus does nothing to help their own cause and everything to fuel the anger of the fans and empower the owners. It only serves to show Mawae is as fit to be the players leader as I would be, which is not at all.

Rule 1 of negotiation is you reign in all of those on your side and present a united front. Even if your own players don't agree, you don't let the opposition see that. It's one thing when Cro pops off his mouth. It's another when the leader throws his own guys under the bus when trying to fight a battle against the opposition. Cro spoke out in the mind set of pretty much every FAN out there, Mawae throwing him under the bus does nothing to help their own cause and everything to fuel the anger of the fans and empower the owners. It only serves to show Mawae is as fit to be the players leader as I would be, which is not at all.

+1

Not true.

A union leader does not have to take everything a player says about the union.

Case in point, years ago during a long baseball strike some Mets players were actually publicly saying the owners' offer was reasonable and that the union was wrong in continuing to strike. The next day the Yankees' union leader publicly called those statements by the Mets' players "gutless".

A few days later the strike was settled-on the players' terms. The "reasonable" proposal by the owners was not even part of the agreement.

I'd disagree, Booz. Cro is the owner's favorite player right now and representative of the type of guy--desperate, broke, retarded-- they're counting on to break the union. I think Mawae had to go out of his way to discredit him and make an example out of him so that the next guy who starts sweating out a big Cristal bill at 1Oak doesn't start chirping in public.

The bigger issue is MaWae is without a team and I doubt anyone wants him, but Cro is top free agent that many teams want. Who stands to gain and lose more? MaWae is a washed up has been being the Union leader is all hes got left.

Not important. Marvin Miller was the head of the baseball union and broke the owners' power-when such a thing was considered outrageous-and he never played baseball in his life. His successor, Donald Fehr, also led a hugely successful strike and Fehr was a nonplayer.

The difference is that the baseball players hung together while the football players, during their strike, fell out of line, first one by one then a flood.

Mawae is absolutely correct in publicly making it clear that if anyone deserts his fellow players and turns his back on the union, he will NOT be accepted by his fellow players once the affair is settled.

Archived