Source: David Harris signs tender

F.Chowds

By Adam Schefter

ESPN.com

Archive

New York Jets linebacker David Harris signed his franchise tender Wednesday night, becoming the third player to do so in the past 24 hours, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley has signed his franchise tender. Panthers center Ryan Kalil has also signed his tender, a league source told Schefter. This comes at a time when the NFLPA has claimed the tags don't and won't exist. Harris' franchise number projects at between $10.1 and $10.5 million, depending on what the NFL determines, according to the source.

Harris is one of several key Jets the organization is trying to keep. Wide receivers Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith and cornerback Antonio Cromartie are among Jets players with expiring contracts.

Head coach Rex Ryan and general manager Mike Tannenbaum will meet with the media on Thursday at the scouting combine in Indianapolis.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6152890&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

I don't understand this move.

Would he really get that much in free agency?

If not, the only other possibility is that he wanted to leave. If that's the case, and you know you probably only get 3 out of 4 of these guys back then why not just keep the others?

This was done to keep control of the player and allow time to negotiate a deal or get compensation if somebody wants him bad enough. He will sign a long term deal once a new cba is in place.

This was done to keep control of the player and allow time to negotiate a deal or get compensation if somebody wants him bad enough. He will sign a long term deal once a new cba is in place.

yup. DH isn't worth $10M/yr - he's solid but not disruptive enough to truly be getting elite coin.

+1

Harris also is one of the few not crazy enough to think this means he should be getting a long term deal by multiplying the franchise figure over long term years. He's a good soldier. The others are loose cannons to some extent.

jets.gif

Several media outlets are reporting that New York Jets linebacker David Harris has signed his one-year franchise tender.  Harris, who was voted the team’s MVP in 2010, will be paid a little over $10 million dollars under the terms of the tender.  The Jets are expected to work out a long term deal with David once there is a new collective bargaining agreement in place.

Rex Hits Hollywood- You knew it was only a matter of time before New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan would make an appearance on a network television show.  Ryan, along with general manager Mike Tannenbaum, will be making a cameo appearance on “CSI: New York” this spring.

New Ticket Price Chart Posted- The New York Jets have posted their new seating and ticket price chart.  For all of the details click here.  The Jets have recently changed their season ticket policy and that information can be found here.

-lsieR-G4sk

View the full article

And there you have it. And the Jets should get a deal done asap after the cba is signed to know where they stand.

The Tag prevents some one from swooping in and nabbing him before the Jets get to real negotiations

Nope-You can only assign one franchise OR transitional Tag per year.

From what Tanny said yesterday, I may be wrong in this.

Tanny was asked yesterday if he had any plans to use a "transitional tag", he answered "no".

I guess you can use both in the same year (?)

EDIT-The Eagles applied a Franchise to Vick and a Transitional to Akers just this year, so both are available.

That said, not sure who the Jets would use the transition tag on.

From what Tanny said yesterday, I may be wrong in this.

Tanny was asked yesterday if he had any plans to use a "transitional tag", he answered "no".

I guess you can use both in the same year (?)

EDIT-The Eagles applied a Franchise to Vick and a Transitional to Akers just this year, so both are available.

That said, not sure who the Jets would use the transition tag on.

This is something the NFLPA is contesting. They are contesting both the legality of the franchise tender and also the ability to use two tags. The two tag rule is something that was specific to the final capped year, which was the 2009 league year. What some teams are doing is assuming the rules from 2009 also apply to 2010 (The final league year). I have to imagine that using 2 tags will not pass the test.

This is something the NFLPA is contesting. They are contesting both the legality of the franchise tender and also the ability to use two tags. The two tag rule is something that was specific to the final capped year, which was the 2009 league year. What some teams are doing is assuming the rules from 2009 also apply to 2010 (The final league year). I have to imagine that using 2 tags will not pass the test.

The Jets don't seem inclined to use both, so it may be a moot point as to that validity.

I would wonder, since Harris has signed the tender, if that does not imply some recognition of the Tag, and thereby constitutes a contract? Too much for my little mind to wrap around.

are the Jets hamstrung by any 30% rule? I.e. they can't give him a big raise without a CBA?

Yes and it is one of the reasons why the Jets are somewhat hamstrung and offered the tender. Because we are technically still in the 2010 league year Harris is still under contract to the Jets. Any extension signed before March should be looked at as an extension/renegotiation of his previous deal, making him still subject to the 30% rule limitations. So in that respect the Jets have little choice if they want to maintain exclusive rights with DH. Of course Harris is wise to sign that tender because it pays a super huge premium for him even though he is not a premium player nor does he play a premium position. Long term, though, I think him signing it just gives the two sides a starting point in bargaining on a new deal. Harris now can say to the Jets that he is worth at least 10 million guaranteed and then the sides can work from there.

Question

I know the Jets aren’t going to sign any FA’s before the lock out, but can they negotiate during the lock out?

I suspect these fools are going to let this thing drag out into September. Once the players start missing pay checks they will fold, and out of the blue a new deal will be announced.

Will the Jets then have to start negotiations with 16 players before they can play?

Question

I know the Jets aren’t going to sign any FA’s before the lock out, but can they negotiate during the lock out?

I suspect these fools are going to let this thing drag out into September. Once the players start missing pay checks they will fold, and out of the blue a new deal will be announced.

Will the Jets then have to start negotiations with 16 players before they can play?

As I understand things, both owners and agents were given a stern talking to yesterday that there should be ZERO contact, while there is a lockout.

Archived