I'm More Excited about Kenrick than Wilkerson

TNJet

Strange I know. Not that I think Wilkerson will have less of an impact or is less talented but I think maybe its because I feel like ever since Jenks went down we have lacked that real 3-4 NT. And Pouha I love, dont get me wrong, but he is more suited as an end in our system or 4-3 dt imo. Ellis may outshine Muhammad in his rookie year thats just my gut feeling, maybe because he has some experience in the always tough SEC conference while at south carolina. Anyone else agree? :)

i think you got it backward. Wilkerson will get real snaps and rotate in with the vets. Ellis will be essentially red-shirted. There are certain games he will be active for... when they face running teams... but most games he will be game-day inactive.

i think you got it backward. Wilkerson will get real snaps and rotate in with the vets. Ellis will be essentially red-shirted. There are certain games he will be active for... when they face running teams... but most games he will be game-day inactive.

Not true, Ellis has more upside than Devito or Pouha therefore he will be active for every game to stuff the run. Ellis is our biggest Defensive lineman.

Not true, Ellis has more upside than Devito or Pouha therefore he will be active for every game to stuff the run. Ellis is our biggest Defensive lineman.

there's a reason why devito and pouha are starters. upside doesn't get ya active. I like Kenrick Ellis but he hasn't been in the SEC for years. he's coming from Hampton and the NFLPA game.

there's a reason why devito and pouha are starters. upside doesn't get ya active. I like Kenrick Ellis but he hasn't been in the SEC for years. he's coming from Hampton and the NFLPA game.

True Devito and Pouha are good players no doubt, but neither are prototypical 3-4 NT by stature. This is also why Pouha was never penciled in as the immediate starter over Jenkins at 350 lbs. Pouha always won the job after Jenks went down the past 2 years. Our starting D-line should be Ellis /Ellis /Pouha & Wilkerson rotating

He looks like a real athlete for his size (90 tackles last year at 360 lbs?), but he also seems like a complete dipsh*t who will eat and smoke his way out of the league if he doesn't get paired up with a hardcore mentor. For this purpose, I hope they keep Shaun Ellis on the roster.

His upside is huge....but he has to stay out of trouble.

Same was said about Warren Sapp and Randy Moss... it all boils down to the organization that these rookies end up with, the veteran influences and the investment the coach makes in the players off the field.

Its pathetic in a lot of ways that babysitting is a job requirement of the coaching staff, but whatever it takes to get that trophy.

It worked for Dungy... yeah he ignored his own kids, but... for all intents and purposes, he built 2 SB winning teams. Tampa's SB team was his team, the year after the SB Gruden put his stamp on it and destroyed it.

He looks like a real athlete for his size (90 tackles last year at 360 lbs?), but he also seems like a complete dipsh*t who will eat and smoke his way out of the league if he doesn't get paired up with a hardcore mentor. For this purpose, I hope they keep Shaun Ellis on the roster.

Yeah, because if you don't want a guy to smoke week, Shaun Ellis is the guy to have him hang out with.

I love the Big Kat just as much as the next Jets fan, but playing mentor to a kid to keep him off weed doesn't really play to his strengths. :P

Yeah, because if you don't want a guy to smoke week, Shaun Ellis is the guy to have him hang out with.

I love the Big Kat just as much as the next Jets fan, but playing mentor to a kid to keep him off weed doesn't really play to his strengths. :P

You're getting it all wrong. One Ellis can teach the other how to smoke weed and still pass all of his NFL drug tests.

Maybe they should bring Holmes into the mix on that one as well.

You're getting it all wrong. One Ellis can teach the other how to smoke weed and still pass all of his NFL drug tests.

Maybe they should bring Holmes into the mix on that one as well.

Yeah, but who'll teach him how to "Dougie" after a sack? This should be the deciding factor in the Holmes/Edwards debate.

I'm excited about Kendrick, too, and I hope he contributes something as a rookie - but these big guys often take a couple years to get acclimated to the NFL. Ellis is one of the big losers in the lockout. Without a full offseason, this kid might not be ready to dress on Sundays this year. See: Ducasse, Vladimir.

I'm excited about Kendrick, too, and I hope he contributes something as a rookie - but these big guys often take a couple years to get acclimated to the NFL. Ellis is one of the big losers in the lockout. Without a full offseason, this kid might not be ready to dress on Sundays this year. See: Ducasse, Vladimir.

Agreed, but I also don't think that this should be a particular area of concern. While not exactly filled with big names, the Jets DL is not really a problem and the Jets didn't want until they desperately needed help RIGHT NOW to address it, so there is no rush to get him out there if he's not ready. Jenkins being gone means nothing, as the guy played half a dozen snaps last year, Pouha is a very good player in his own right and Devito is a monster against the run. Combine that with the fact that it sounds more and more like Ellis staying a Jet is something both sides want, the return of Pitoitua (who Rex is clearly a big fan of), and another year under the belt of guys like Dixon and Gilbert the Jets aren't exactly in horrible shape.

It's only after that when you look to the rookies, of which the Jets have two very highly touted ones. So if one of them isn't ready to get, there's not a ton of pressure to force them into action. It's no different than Vlad last year, who the Jets thought very highly of, but between returning 4 of 5 starters and having the likes of Slauson, Hunter and Turner all around the fill out that last spot and the backup spots, when he had a slow start there was no pressure to throw him into the fire anyway. I think that's a very positive opportunity for the Jets. Plus as you said, DL are certainly known for not exactly coming on strong from day one. Look how long it took Pouha hanging around before anyone finally thought he was worth a damn. This is a guy who couldn't even beat out a puny little 280 lb sh*t for the NT spot his rookie year.

also we talk about upside... the dude's upside is as a 2 down NT who sometimes flukes into sacks. Wilkerson's upside is of a 3 down DE who can hopefully get 5-8 sacks a year. Kenrick Ellis has more upside than Pouha and Devito but Wilkerson has more upside than anyone. Put it another way, Kenrick Ellis might be a poor man's Vince Wilfork, Wilkerson might be a poor man's Trevor Pryce.

also we talk about upside... the dude's upside is as a 2 down NT who sometimes flukes into sacks. Wilkerson's upside is of a 3 down DE who can hopefully get 5-8 sacks a year. Kenrick Ellis has more upside than Pouha and Devito but Wilkerson has more upside than anyone. Put it another way, Kenrick Ellis might be a poor man's Vince Wilfork, Wilkerson might be a poor man's Trevor Pryce.

The real question here bit is this: do either Wilkerson or Ellis remind you of a bowling ball with butcher knives?

Don't compare Ellis to Wilfork and no, i dont mean out of respect...out of disrespect for Wilfork. He is nothing but a fat lard azz that cant even run, where obviously Ellis is more athletic and agile on film seen chasing runningbacks down field. Wilfork is just a huge space eater that gets most of his tackles when runningbacks are pushed into his big azz. Overrated, out of shape and to fat to be a threat. He has the patriot tag tho meaning he gets the acclaim for being the best at his position, hence: Welker,Bruschi, Vrabel and all the other overrated players they've had.

Don't compare Ellis to Wilfork and no, i dont mean out of respect...out of disrespect for Wilfork. He is nothing but a fat lard azz that cant even run, where obviously Ellis is more athletic and agile on film seen chasing runningbacks down field. Wilfork is just a huge space eater that gets most of his tackles when runningbacks are pushed into his big azz. Overrated, out of shape and to fat to be a threat. He has the patriot tag tho meaning he gets the acclaim for being the best at his position, hence: Welker,Bruschi, Vrabel and all the other overrated players they've had.

Wilfork is a 3x pro bowler, if Ellis has Wilfork's career it will have been an amazing pick.

serious question what kind of stat production are you expecting out of Kenrick Ellis?

follow up question if he doesn't make stats... how much better do we expect the Jets to be against the run? they are already a top 5 defense.

Wilfork is a 3x pro bowler, if Ellis has Wilfork's career it will have been an amazing pick.

serious question what kind of stat production are you expecting out of Kenrick Ellis?

follow up question if he doesn't make stats... how much better do we expect the Jets to be against the run? they are already a top 5 defense.

Honestly playing alongside S. Ellis and Wilkerson I'm thinking Kenrick could have a season of: 36 Tckl, 7 TFL, 2.5 SCK as a rookie, while splitting time with Pouha at nose. Is that too much to expect? If he had no good help on the line i wouldnt expect so much but as you said we are already 5th in run defense.

Honestly playing alongside S. Ellis and Wilkerson I'm thinking Kenrick could have a season of: 36 Tckl, 7 TFL, 2.5 SCK as a rookie, while splitting time with Pouha at nose. Is that too much to expect? If he had no good help on the line i wouldnt expect so much but as you said we are already 5th in run defense.

Problem with this theory is that you are counting Wilkerson as being a reason that Kenrick will succeed at that rotational level, while you are "more excited" about Kenrick. If Wilkerson is going to walk in, start and excel to the point that he makes the NTs job easier I'm going to be more excited about him. You also left out Devito who had arguably the best season on the D line in 2010.

I think the truth is somewhere between what you and Tnjet are saying. I don't think he will be redshirted, but this lock out isn't helping him one bit. He needs NFL type conditioning, and to get acclimated to taking on 2 NFL quality interior lineman. A lot to ask a kid under any circumstances.

In the long run I am very excited about Ellis. Actually about both of them, but for right now I thing they are both going to contribute a lot, but neither will be game changes this season

Archived