Jets offer Holmes contract

Lupz27

http://tinyurl.com/3r9htb5

Jets extend offer to free agent receiver Santonio Holmes Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger 07/26/2011 6:23 PM

For months, Jets receiver Santonio Holmes has been speculated to be the team's top free agent target.

On the first day of free agency, the Jets have extended an offer to Holmes, according to a person with knowledge of the negotiations. That person requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for either side.

More coming.

Share Story

For months, Jets receiver Santonio Holmes has been speculated to be the team's top free agent target.

Now, on the first day of free agency, the Jets have extended an offer to Holmes, according to a person with knowledge of the negotiations. That person requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for either side.

Terms of the offer were not immediately available. The timing is interesting, as news came soon after receiver Santana Moss reportedly agreed to a 3-year, $15 million deal with the Redskins. Washington was expected to be one of the teams in hot pursuit of Holmes, with the potential to price other teams out.

Earlier today, a person with knowledge of the Jets' plans said fellow Jets free agent receiver Braylon Edwards was still in play for the team, in case it was priced out of the Holmes sweepstakes. That person requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for the team.

Now, on the first day of free agency, the Jets have extended an offer to Holmes, according to a person with knowledge of the negotiations. That person requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for either side.

Terms of the offer were not immediately available. The timing is interesting, as news came soon after receiver Santana Moss reportedly agreed to a 3-year, $15 million deal with the Redskins. Washington was expected to be one of the teams in hot pursuit of Holmes, with the potential to price other teams out.

Earlier today, a person with knowledge of the Jets' plans said fellow Jets free agent receiver Braylon Edwards was still in play for the team, in case it was priced out of the Holmes sweepstakes. That person requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for the team.

Thanks for posting the rest

Just got this via email. Anyone see this?

The Jets have reportedly extended a long-term contract offer to free agent Santonio Holmes. The Jets extended the offer just as the Redskins were locking up Santonio Holmes. ESPN New York's Rich Cimini predicts the Jets will "wrap up" a deal with Holmes with the next 48 hours. GM Mike Tannenbaum has made it clear that Holmes is his top priority

Lol no problem, yea I got sucked into that

yea it's that whole "I have an agenda" thing-even if it has no basis in reality. I follow this stuff very closely and I've never heard that guy's name mentioned once in regards to us having any interest

im just sayin, if theyre offering cromartie................

i would just assume

i heard that nnamdi was in ny yesterday.i hear they offered cro & buchanon a contract.sounds like they would really like it to go one way,but if it doesnt,they arent left out in the cold.smart move

yea it's that whole "I have an agenda" thing-even if it has no basis in reality. I follow this stuff very closely and I've never heard that guy's name mentioned once in regards to us having any interest

I never saw him mentioned either. I like Moore to, but there is no chance I choose him over Holmes

they offered holmes and cro a deal.gotta right off the bat.lets them know quickly where they stand.i bet they offered them fair contracts,but didnt knock their socks off.i can see them offering a good money deal with an extra year throw in than other teams will offer for flexibility and some kinda home town discount

Smart move! This man should be #1 priority. I love the idea of people like Sanchez and Revis restructuring to keep the team intact. I love Sanchez. He defines the word team. It's not too often that you find people willing to do that. He's got a great attitude.

Thanks for posting this Lupz so I don't have to read that tripe about some no name N.O. castoff being better than Santonio

Lol no problem, yea I got sucked into that

Ha! I did all I could to stay away from that one. I'm already dumb enough.

This is great news. Holmes is stud and Sanchez clearly loves him.

Ha! I did all I could to stay away from that one. I'm already dumb enough.

This is great news. Holmes is stud and Sanchez clearly loves him.

yea that thread became mind boggling-I was getting dizzy just reading some of it until I scrolled down and saw whose name kept coming up-then I stopped

because you cant choose a FA that might be a good fit for the team without a bunch of talking head idiots giving you the info first. I chose Moore because I think hes a good player who would fit nicely here not because of any rumors or reports. Damn look at that I picked a guy all by myself with no help . Amazing.

For those of you who disagree I respect your stance, but you dont have to be smart a$$ douche bags about it.

I mean really, we all know Santonio Holmes is a top five reciever in the NFL he is an unbelieveable talent who should make top WR money . :rolleyes: Pay this guy NOW.

Hopefully they offered similar to the rumored 6.5 to Braylon, with heavy clauses concerning a possible year off if he has another infraction, and someone counters with more.

Dre brees is amazing. Thats what that video showed.

Thats not in question here. Those catches were amazing and they clearly show Lance Moore in no freakin JAG. Sure he does nto get as many throws his way because N.O. does throw alot to their backs and to the other 3 solid WR's they have. I think Lance Moore in our offense would be an absolute stud.

Thats not in question here. Those catches were amazing and they clearly show Lance Moore in no freakin JAG. Sure he does nto get as many throws his way because N.O. does throw alot to their backs and to the other 3 solid WR's they have. I think Lance Moore in our offense would be an absolute stud.

That's all well and fine then start a "You Know Who We Should Try To Get?" thread. These are threads about the Jets trying to re-sign Holmes-these are threads about something that is based on fact, not fantasy football. Nowhere has Lance Moore's name EVER been linked to the Jets except in these two threads

That's all well and fine then start a "You Know Who We Should Try To Get?" thread. These are threads about the Jets trying to re-sign Holmes-these are threads about something that is based on fact, not fantasy football. Nowhere has Lance Moore's name EVER been linked to the Jets except in these two threads

your the one who made the smart a$$ comment that dragged me into this particular thread and I responded. If your a wannabe moderator then you should have merged the 2 threads . In kleckos thread he clearly asked my opinion and I answered it only to be told that Lance Moore was a jag and Santonio is some great reciever that I obviously disagree with.

You really think Moore can be the number 1 guy? Moore has flourished in a place where he was the fourth target at best. Teams keyed on Colston, Meacham and Bush and I sincerely doubt anyone made any significant changes defensively to deal with Lance Moore.

Every defense we faced last year gameplanned around stopping the run and neutralizing Santonio Holmes.

You're not comparing to apples to apples here. Hell, you're not even comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing apples to lug wrenches.

I plainly state on more than one occasion that Moore is a slot receiver and i dont base who I think we should target on fantasy football.

Ok- we still have Cotchery under contract. If he were leaving, Moore would be a solid replacement...but he's still here.

You really think Moore can be the number 1 guy? Moore has flourished in a place where he was the fourth target at best. Teams keyed on Colston, Meacham and Bush and I sincerely doubt anyone made any significant changes defensively to deal with Lance Moore.

Every defense we faced last year gameplanned around stopping the run and neutralizing Santonio Holmes.

You're not comparing to apples to apples here. Hell, you're not even comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing apples to lug wrenches.

whatever you say Klecko.... once again read the posts and stop putting words in my mouth. Clearly some slot recievers do quite well in the NFL but I dont expect fans who only watch the Jets to know this. My idea or suggestion about Moore was my own I dont need some idiot analyst on TV to tell me who can play football in this league. If you disagree with it Like I said Im fine with that just stop putting words in my mouth and stop making really stupid false statements about a damn good football player.

Remember 4 years ago when I was bitching about Coles and Cotch being our WR tandem and the Morons on this site telling me they were a top ten (some saying top 5 ) ranked tandem some even claiming they were A better tandem than the Packers Jennings and Driver ?? Remember those days Klecko ? I got labeled hard headed even because of the Gholston Issue even when I said long before that draft he was a huge mistake if we picked him. Just keep it comming man You can revisit this whenever you like.

Ok- we still have Cotchery under contract. If he were leaving, Moore would be a solid replacement...but he's still here.

So what your saying here is if Santonio does not sign were not replacing him ? Im talking Braylon Lance and Cotch if Santonio does not sign.

whatever you say Klecko.... once again read the posts and stop putting words in my mouth. Clearly some slot recievers do quite well in the NFL but I dont expect fans who only watch the Jets to know this. My idea or suggestion about Moore was my own I dont need some idiot analyst on TV to tell me who can play football in this league. If you disagree with it Like I said Im fine with that just stop putting words in my mouth and stop making really stupid false statements about a damn good football player.

Remember 4 years ago when I was bitching about Coles and Cotch being our WR tandem and the Morons on this site telling me they were a top ten (some saying top 5 ) ranked tandem some even claiming they were A better tandem than the Packers Jennings and Driver ?? Remember those days Klecko ? I got labeled hard headed even because of the Gholston Issue even when I said long before that draft he was a huge mistake if we picked him. Just keep it comming man You can revisit this whenever you like.

I honestly don't remember anyone ever claiming that Coles and Cotch were better than Jennings and Driver. :confused0082:

I honestly don't remember anyone ever claiming that Coles and Cotch were better than Jennings and Driver. :confused0082:

I had a few people beating me down over that little gem actully more than a few. Like I said Kleck revist this thread, if Im wrong I'll gladly take my lumps.

I had a few people beating me down over that little gem actully more than a few. Like I said Kleck revist this thread, if Im wrong I'll gladly take my lumps.

Bud, I don't even understand how you can look at their stats and claim they put up similar numbers. Santonio's caught nearly 20 more passes a year on average for close to 500 more yards per year.

Not only are they not close, they're not in the same area code.

Bud, I don't even understand how you can look at their stats and claim they put up similar numbers. Santonio's caught nearly 20 more passes a year on average for close to 500 more yards per year.

Not only are they not close, they're not in the same area code.

500 yards per year ? Really ? Santonio had 1 very good year the rest was pure Jag. Even in his best stat year he only produced 5 TD's and was not even the best reciever on his team Hines Ward was and has his share of huge plays for the steelers

Archived