Why Asomugha Makes Sense

Doggin94it

Akiva,

If you're on board, I'm on board. I'm still wary of not giving Sanchez as many weapons as possible. I know we've come to terms with Santonio but Santonio/Jerricho is no where near as good as Santonio/Braylon/Jerricho.

You're right, but think about it this way....if the other team cant score then they cant win.

Sanchez is officially a veteran now....and I think that he'll play that way. Having Santonio for the entire season and Jericho being no slouch....I think it'll be a good look. TBH I wanted Braylon more than Santonio...and its still not out of the question that we'll resign him. If a team cant throw the ball they're going to have a very tough time beating us.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets go for it...

4 WR 1 TE

You could have...

Revis/Cro/Wilson/Lowery/Pool/Leonard

OR

Revis/Aso/Wilson/Lowery/Pool/Leonard

Who is the retard?

still you

you are ignoring my basic argument. use the money to UPGRADE MUTLIPLE POSITIONS INSTEAD OF JUST ONE. my argument has nothing to do with swapping aso and cro, NOTHING

What stat line is that?

Here's his numbers from last year's playoffs:

Pierre Garcon(notes) 5 112 22.4 57 1 0

Jets gave up 16 points to the Colts that day, but only scored 17 points on a defense that regularly gave up 24. It's the offense that needs improving, not the defense.

The only improving the offense can really do is wait and see if Sanchez gets better. Or sign Antonio Gates.

Didnt mean to posts Garcon's numbers from 2 years ago. Apologies

When Oak plays SD, he shuts down Gates. He's that good.

A CB that can cover a TE? That is impressive. Also well worth $12M.

If Revis is on Jackson, who covers Floyd in that scenario, though?

still you

you are ignoring my basic argument. use the money to UPGRADE MUTLIPLE POSITIONS INSTEAD OF JUST ONE. my argument has nothing to do with swapping aso and cro, NOTHING

Who are the upgrades over Wilson/Lowery? How much of an upgrade are they for the $$ they command as FA's?

Swap cro for aso and you have an instant HUGE upgrade.. your theory is to make the backups slightly better by spending more on multiple guys who may or may not all pick up the system.

Signing Aso doesnt addresss the glaring need for a dominant pass rusher, it just ties more money up in the secondary. Id like to have him if we can afford other luxuries as well.

If we had Aso and Revis, we could count seven Mississippi.

Signing Aso doesnt addresss the glaring need for a dominant pass rusher, it just ties more money up in the secondary. Id like to have him if we can afford other luxuries as well.

They are gonna get the guy from SD... and they drafted almost an entire new DL to free up the LBs... Harris/Pace/Thomas are all capable.. they just spent too much time doing dirty work.

The only improving the offense can really do is wait and see if Sanchez gets better. Or sign Antonio Gates.

Didnt mean to posts Garcon's numbers from 2 years ago. Apologies

You help Sanchez get better by retaining Braylon Edwards. You hamper his ability to improve by reverting to Cotchery as his #2 WR.

Where are they getting the money from? Aren't they almost 20 million over the cap? Did the cut their entire o-line to fit Nnamdi under the cap?

I thought it was strange too, I haven't seen/read anything about it tho.

MMQB Mail: Nnamdi Asomugha, Jets a legitimate connection

I think the Jets and Nnamdi Asomugha is a real story. For those who think the cap would prohibit it, understand this: The Jets could let free agents Antonio Cromartie and Braylon Edwards walk -- those two would be $10 million to $12 million on the cap, potentially, in 2011 -- and they could re-do the contracts of Mark Sanchez and Darrelle Revis, and they could whittle linebacker David Harris' 2011 cap hit from $10 million to about $7 million by turning his one-year deal into a multiyear contract. If you don't think Rex Ryan is pushing for this, you're crazy.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/07/27/mail/index.html#ixzz1TKPWhqxi

Not to mention that having Aso gives you the flexibility of having Aso cover the #1 and Revis cover the #2. They wouldn't be locked into depending on Revis to take out the same guy all day.

That's not really how it works. Revis studies and practices all week to cover one guy.

No but another CB making Revis $$ doesnt solve are defensive problems.

So your point of addressing a dominant pass rusher is invalid as this is the context of this years free agency class. Our FO drafted DL and is trying to address that need. I don't bother getting into the #'s as I have no clue what the situation/class will be next year and Tannenbaum deserves credity for his creativity.

So again. Your argument is invalid.

MMQB Mail: Nnamdi Asomugha, Jets a legitimate connection

I think the Jets and Nnamdi Asomugha is a real story. For those who think the cap would prohibit it, understand this: The Jets could let free agents Antonio Cromartie and Braylon Edwards walk -- those two would be $10 million to $12 million on the cap, potentially, in 2011 -- and they could re-do the contracts of Mark Sanchez and Darrelle Revis, and they could whittle linebacker David Harris' 2011 cap hit from $10 million to about $7 million by turning his one-year deal into a multiyear contract. If you don't think Rex Ryan is pushing for this, you're crazy.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/07/27/mail/index.html#ixzz1TKPWhqxi

Ah, Peter King. Slinging the generalities. The life of a columnist.

NFL offenses are happy to pick on your weakness. the jets nickel back and LB's would give up historic amounts of receptions in a revis/aso scenario

take the money to upgrade 2 CB's and a S so the colts, saints, pats* and steelers and packers don't just spread you out and pick on your scrubs

whats the difference between aso covering the number 2 receiver and your plan to add a safety and a corner covering the number 2 with deep safety help?? i will tell you. that safety now helps double another threat out of the spread out option. i just dont see why you guys dont understand the numbers game?? the jets defense is that good because revis already adds an extra guy. why cant you see that having aso is like adding 2 extra guys? really an unfare advantage

If I was facing a team that had $30 million tied up in two cornerbacks, I'd line up 2 TEs and run the ball down their throats all day long.

Try it. The Jets are already tough against the run, and they'd have added a second corner who can tackle and (likely) an 8th man in the box. Good luck.

No, they can't.

What other available CB would you be comfortable leaving entirely 1 on 1 with most No. 2 WRs (no safety help, no bracket coverage, etc.)

Cromartie.

Most teams don't have #2 receivers that are close to the same level as their #1s. Generally speaking you don't need to worry about doubling #2 guys. Cromartie is perfectly fine in 1 on 1 coverage on #2s. We don't need Nmandi for that.

So your point of addressing a dominant pass rusher is invalid as this is the context of this years free agency class. Our FO drafted DL and is trying to address that need. I don't bother getting into the #'s as I have no clue what the situation/class will be next year and Tannenbaum deserves credity for his creativity.

So again. Your argument is invalid.

Again, who is arguing? I agree with you.

You help Sanchez get better by retaining Braylon Edwards. You hamper his ability to improve by reverting to Cotchery as his #2 WR.

once again you advocate overkill on the receivers. but will not listen to overkill for the defense

Cromartie.

Most teams don't have #2 receivers that are close to the same level as their #1s. Generally speaking you don't need to worry about doubling #2 guys. Cromartie is perfectly fine in 1 on 1 coverage on #2s. We don't need Nmandi for that.

Cromartie needed help on No. 2s, especially the shiftier ones.

lets put this entire argument to rest for you anti-nnamdi guys.who knows more about winning football games, you or rex ryan ? rex,really? glad you agree. rex is making a full court press to obtain nnamdi as we speak. this is all you need to know. should be the end of this discussion until the jets sign nnamdi or he signs with another team. then we can continue the talks about adding a cb, safety, and another wide receiver

Do you think Moss would fill that void?

Not a fan. Don't know how much money it will take to get him here, or how many balls will have to be thrown his way to keep him happy. I'll agree with anyone who says that if there's one guy who can keep him in line, it's Rex - I just don't know if even Rex is up to the task.

Plus with BE, you get a downfield threat and a willing blocker. A guy who's still in his prime, locking up the top two WR spots on your team along with your young QB for the next five years. That's invaluable, IMHO.

once again you advocate overkill on the receivers. but will not listen to overkill for the defense

"overkill" on the WR's will come in at a cost of $5-6M less than overkill on the CB's. Plenty of money leftover to get a very good #2 CB.

Cromartie needed help on No. 2s, especially the shiftier ones.

It wasn't that often that he wasn't in 1 on 1 coverage. Sure he's no Revis, but he's still better than most #2 CBs and if signing him means Braylon can stay, then I'm all for it. We need to score TDs.

lets put this entire argument to rest for you anti-nnamdi guys.who knows more about winning football games, you or rex ryan ? rex,really? glad you agree. rex is making a full court press to obtain nnamdi as we speak. this is all you need to know. should be the end of this discussion until the jets sign nnamdi or he signs with another team. then we can continue the talks about adding a cb, safety, and another wide receiver

Rex Ryan's trophy case:

empty+cabinet+australia.jpg

Shocking for a defensive coach to want to spend on defensive players. :blink: I believe that's unprecedented.

Archived