Kyle Wilson...

Bugg

I dont question Rex when it comes to defense much, but putting Wilson out there on Boldin 1 on 1, in his first ever game which happened to be MNF, was pretty stupid. I think it hurt his mental.

He played pretty well after that IMO. He was always in position, but didnt make great plays on the ball. The fact that he was in the right position as a rookie in a complex defense, is a good thing.

While the Cro signing definitely indicates they are not completely comfortable with him yet, I dont agree this is a prediction of the future. I'm sure they are still expecting Wilson to be everything they drafted him to be, but why not lock up a true man to man #2 guy in the interim...especially considering the lack of offseason programs that really benefits the younger guys.

I agree with that. Say they were willing to give Wilson the No. 2 spot and he was ready for that. If Revis gets hurt, you have Wilson pushed up to #1? That's horrible for a team that has super bowl aspirations. Depth is always a good thing to have.

The Jets window for winning is right now. They just don't have enough information on Wilson to give him the reigns long-term. I mean, i'd be more concerned if they had a minicamp or OTAs and went hard after Cro, but how much has the FO seen of Wilson since his rookie season? Going for Cro means they don't trust Wilson yet, it's not necessarily them thinking Wilson sucks or has no future.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The logic displayed in this thread is mind numbingly stupid. He's entering his second year, before training camp. What the fvck is wrong with all of you?

And before you ask: It means he's an UNKNOWN commodity, they don't have confidence in him RIGHT NOW. That says nothing about his future, how he will develop, or what they think about him as a player over all.

:Chiming in:

Ain't nothing wrong with not being not as good as Cromartie and Asomugha.

I think Wilson will end up being a lot like Mark Collins.

Disagree right back at you. What you're saying is not what I'm saying. If they sign Hunter for $4M/season with low guaranteed money and Ducasse gets the job it isn't a motherload of blown money. Hunter is versatile and if he doesn't start they can reneg him or cut him with no egg on their faces. It's a low enough number that there will still be competition for RT.

So that analogy is only applicable if:

1) It wasn't Hunter at $3-4M, but rather a RT they're paying $7-8M/year for.

2) There weren't other OL positions - starting OL positions - that Ducasse may be in line to compete with this year or next.

With Wilson, there is only 1 starting position: CB opposite Revis. There is no option for him to break into the lineup at guard if the Jets signed a RT to a megadeal, as is the situation with Ducasse.

Same thing with Greene. If the Jets went out and sign up LT or draft McKnight or the other kid it is not the same thing. First of all, no one does starting CBBC the way RBBC is done. Second, that would still only apply to my analogy, where they think Greene is non-starting material, if they went out and signed someone like DeAngelo Williams to big bucks.

That is the message with re-signing Cromartie to $8M/year. I will say it's not as bad as if the guaranteed money was 3 years'-worth instead of 2. But that may have more to do with their reluctance in investing 3 guaranteed years in Cromartie than 3 guaranteed years in not-Wilson.

I'm not even a big critic of Wilson's. I'm going by what I perceive the Jets' actions, in signing not-Wilson to an $8M/year deal, to mean.

3rd CB is still a very important position, I'll be worried if he hardly ever sees the field this year, with guys like Strickland getting in ahead of him, yeah I'll be concerned. But you really think that right now, for a team with Superbowl aspirations, you expect them to go into the season with an unproven guy starting? Regardless of talent, regardless of how good they think he may be, it's a risk that really isn't worth taking. Depth is so important at the CB position too, passing up on a proven guy like Cro to give Wilson a shot to start now would have been pretty stupid. Signing Cromartie will improve this team, regardless of whether Wilson was ready or not.

Disagree right back at you. What you're saying is not what I'm saying. If they sign Hunter for $4M/season with low guaranteed money and Ducasse gets the job it isn't a motherload of blown money. Hunter is versatile and if he doesn't start they can reneg him or cut him with no egg on their faces. It's a low enough number that there will still be competition for RT.

2) There weren't other OL positions - starting OL positions - that Ducasse may be in line to compete with this year or next.

With Wilson, there is only 1 starting position: CB opposite Revis. There is no option for him to break into the lineup at guard if the Jets signed a RT to a megadeal.

Same thing with Greene. If the Jets went out and sign up LT or draft McKnight or the other kid it is not the same thing. First of all, no one does starting CBBC the way RBBC is done. Second, that would still only apply to my analogy, where they think Greene is non-starting material, if they went out and signed someone like DeAngelo Williams to big bucks.

That is the message with re-signing Cromartie to $8M/year. I will say it's not as bad as if the guaranteed money was 3 years'-worth instead of 2. But that may have more to do with their reluctance in investing 3 guaranteed years in Cromartie than 3 guaranteed years in not-Wilson.

I'm not even a big critic of Wilson's. I'm going by what I perceive the Jets' actions, in signing not-Wilson to an $8M/year deal, to mean.

How many cornerbacks do you know blew the league away after a rookie season? How many first round CBs get judged long-term based on a sub-par rookie season? The Jets aren't rebuilding. They are in win-now mode.

Forget what the Jets think for a second. I understand they have more information than you do, but do you personally feel like it would've been prudent to go into camp with Wilson as the No. 2 CB with maybe a lower-tier Free agent competing against him?

With Wilson, there is only 1 starting position: CB opposite Revis. There is no option for him to break into the lineup at guard if the Jets signed a RT to a megadeal, as is the situation with Ducasse.

3rd CB on the Jets is every bit as much a starting position as RT and LG. The guy is almost always on the field. If he can't beat Strickland out by the end of the year it's one thing, but having more bodies at CB is meaningless as far as I am concerned. IMO, letting Coleman walk means they probably like Wilson just fine.

Not to beat a dead horse because plenty of have had similar responses, but #3 CB is a huge role on this team...especially if we plan on deploying the playoff defense that Brady and Manning saw. And we start plenty of games with an extra DB on the field so Wilson could easily crack the line up that way. Plus, he's great insurance if Cro or Revis gets hurt. Finding a long term nickle back at the end of the 1st, isnt a bad thing.

I agree with that. Say they were willing to give Wilson the No. 2 spot and he was ready for that. If Revis gets hurt, you have Wilson pushed up to #1? That's horrible for a team that has super bowl aspirations. Depth is always a good thing to have.

The Jets window for winning is right now. They just don't have enough information on Wilson to give him the reigns long-term. I mean, i'd be more concerned if they had a minicamp or OTAs and went hard after Cro, but how much has the FO seen of Wilson since his rookie season? Going for Cro means they don't trust Wilson yet, it's not necessarily them thinking Wilson sucks or has no future.

The way I see it is, pending a Revis hold out and maybe finding a safety (who I think JN values more than Rex), the secondary is secured with some serious talent for the next 3-4 years.

My only dispute with this would be, particularly with the OL comparison, that a team's #3 CB is still going to see A LOT of playing time. I agree Wilson isn't likely going to get a shot to start and they're not counting on that happening any time soon, but he'll still get plenty of opportunities to play and prove himself on the field, which will give the Jets the chance to consistently evaluate him and if after a couple of years he looks like the real deal, they'll be more than happy to trade Cromartie away and move on to Wilson. Now granted they aren't counting on it at this point, but it's not exactly like the guy is forever buried on the depth chart and won't see the field until he moves on to his next team.

3rd CB is still a very important position, I'll be worried if he hardly ever sees the field this year, with guys like Strickland getting in ahead of him, yeah I'll be concerned. But you really think that right now, for a team with Superbowl aspirations, you expect them to go into the season with an unproven guy starting? Regardless of talent, regardless of how good they think he may be, it's a risk that really isn't worth taking. Depth is so important at the CB position too, passing up on a proven guy like Cro to give Wilson a shot to start now would have been pretty stupid. Signing Cromartie will improve this team, regardless of whether Wilson was ready or not.

Completely agree, and given how things went down the toilet when Strickland left the Jets AFC Championship game with injury in Rex's first year, don't think for a second he isn't going to put unreal emphasis on that depth.

Completely agree, and given how things went down the toilet when Strickland left the Jets AFC Championship game with injury in Rex's first year, don't think for a second he isn't going to put unreal emphasis on that depth.

This team is built to stop the Chargers, Colts, and Pats in the playoffs. The third and fourth CBs might be playing all game long in those match-ups.

This team is built to stop the Chargers, Colts, and Pats in the playoffs. The third and fourth CBs might be playing all game long in those match-ups.

Yep. Wilson potentially sees more time on the field in half these games then whoever the other starting safety opposite Leonhard is (if he plays to potential and locking down slot WR's).

The way I see it is, pending a Revis hold out and maybe finding a safety (who I think JN values more than Rex), the secondary is secured with some serious talent for the next 3-4 years.

Which is surprising considering that he had Ed Reed with him in Baltimore. You'd think he'd be looking for a playmaker there. But I agree, It's obviously not a priority for him.

It's all fun and games until they face the Steelers or Ravens. :lol:

But first things first, Jets need to beat the Pats head-to-head and for the division. Road playoff wins are nice, two home games on the way to the Super Bowl is better.

Rather than quoting everyone to reply, since everyone is missing what I wrote entirely, you are all disputing a point that I'm not making.

The Jets do not have confidence Kyle Wilson will step into the role of #2 CB. That is my point. That is my only point. It has nothing to do with #3 CB's being important. It has nothing to do with what I may or may not think of Wilson. I haven't even stated a personal opinion of him, though plenty of others have.

I am giving my interpretation of spending so much on another CB. I thought Aso was unique because he is who he is. Cromartie is not the same player Aso is (which is why I disagree with some that this will at all be awkward for the Jets and Cro).

If Wilson was even penciled in as a potential starter they would not be signing Cromartie for an $8M/year contract to round out their top 3. They'd be finding someone else competent, but at 1/3 the price (if that), and use the change to shore up another position.

Rather than quoting everyone to reply, since everyone is missing what I wrote entirely, you are all disputing a point that I'm not making.

The Jets do not have confidence Kyle Wilson will step into the role of #2 CB. That is my point. That is my only point. It has nothing to do with #3 CB's being important. It has nothing to do with what I may or may not think of Wilson. I haven't even stated a personal opinion of him, though plenty of others have.

I am giving my interpretation of spending so much on another CB.

If Wilson was even penciled in as a potential starter they would not be signing Cromartie for an $8M/year contract to round out their top 3. They'd be finding someone else competent, but at 1/3 the price (if that), and use the change to shore up another position.

Is it possible they believe he could, but saw the opportunity to get someone they know could?

Is it possible they believe he could, but saw the opportunity to get someone they know could?

Of course it's possible. I'm saying to them it doesn't seem likely. With a contract like that, they are effectively writing off Wilson starting opposite Revis (barring injury to Cromartie of course) for the next 2-3 seasons minimum.

I didn't say they don't believe he could. I said they don't think it's likely and have no confidence that he will. It may sound like splitting hairs but it isn't. They may very well think he'll make a decent 3rd corner this year or next year but if they were confident he would be the man this year they wouldn't be bringing in an $8M/year CB for the job.

Of course it's possible. I'm saying to them it doesn't seem likely. With a contract like that, they are effectively writing off Wilson starting opposite Revis (barring injury to Cromartie of course) for the next 2-3 seasons minimum.

I didn't say they don't believe he could. I said they don't think it's likely and have no confidence that he will. It may sound like splitting hairs but it isn't. They may very well think he'll make a decent 3rd corner this year or next year but if they were confident he would be the man this year they wouldn't be bringing in an $8M/year CB for the job.

It's hard to disagree with you, but since you seem to enjoy it I will.

You're wrong.

I think this is a case of it being both a floor wax and a dessert topping.

I think the deal to sign Cromartie shows just how important the CB position is to Rex's football philosophy. Stud pass rushers are a rarer commodity, and Rex has determined that he can shut down offenses from the outside in. The fact that he was willing to forgo just about anything else on the team for a shot at Aso tells you that.

As for Wilson, if he had McCourty's rookie season, maybe we're not having this conversation, but the Jets obviously felt they needed (at least) two CB's ahead of him on the depth chart. If Rex didn't place such a premium on the CB position, maybe he would've been content with Wilson starting opposite Revis.

I don't think any of this means that Kyle Wilson sucks, though, as the OP said. If they had a regular offseason this year, they'd have a firmer grasp of what Wilson could and couldn't do. Signing Cromartie has a lot to do with that uncertainty, and the fact that Rex can never have enough quality CB's.

I think this is a case of it being both a floor wax and a dessert topping.

I think the deal to sign Cromartie shows just how important the CB position is to Rex's football philosophy. Stud pass rushers are a rarer commodity, and Rex has determined that he can shut down offenses from the outside in. The fact that he was willing to forgo just about anything else on the team for a shot at Aso tells you that.

As for Wilson, if he had McCourty's rookie season, maybe we're not having this conversation, but the Jets obviously felt they needed (at least) two CB's ahead of him on the depth chart. If Rex didn't place such a premium on the CB position, maybe he would've been content with Wilson starting opposite Revis.

I don't think any of this means that Kyle Wilson sucks, though, as the OP said. If they had a regular offseason this year, they'd have a firmer grasp of what Wilson could and couldn't do. Signing Cromartie has a lot to do with that uncertainty, and the fact that Rex can never have enough quality CB's.

I agree except for the length of the off-season. Aso and Cro would have still needed to be signed in March, well before OTAs or even the draft. Technically a longer off-season could mean another month of off-season to work out with Wilson but it's still the same gamble for Rex. This was going to be the decision on March 1st or July 31st.

Because if Wilson is great and locked in for a few years the Jets would be upset to have another top cover corner? A guy they could cut in a year or two?

I think it is exactly splitting hairs. The Jets want 3 or 4 GOOD cover corners. They don't know about Wilson. Nobody does. Whether they believe it is likely Wilson will be good or not, they still need another guy. You think it would be a good move to sign some sh*tty a$$ guy to take the 3rd spot to save money? For what? I think it's Adrien Clarke belt and suspenders. I'm sure the Jets believed that Adrien Clarke wouldn't be the abomination that he was, so they didn't cover their asses. They are smarter now.

I agree except for the length of the off-season. Aso and Cro would have still needed to be signed in March, well before OTAs or even the draft. Technically a longer off-season could mean another month of off-season to work out with Wilson but it's still the same gamble for Rex. This was going to be the decision on March 1st or July 31st.

Then I think it would've come down to what they thought of Wilson on March 1, and whether or not they thought a full offseason would get him up to the starting CB level they wanted. If they felt that good about him, they might've been able to take a different less expensive option. Maybe go the Chris Carr/Josh Wilson route, instead.

Maybe it's not that they feel Wilson isn't as good as Cro. Maybe they feel he's even better than Cro. Maybe it's just that thy don't feel they can find a #3 as good as Wilson and they don't feel Cro can cover in the slot as well. You ever think of that?? Did you, did you? Me neither. I agree with you.

I disagree that the Jets are a win now team, unless you mean by now, within the next 4-5 years. We are built for the future. We got Holmes, Sanchez, Shonne Greene, Cromartie, Revis, Mangold, and Ferguson all locked up in long contracts and they are clearly our best players. I hate when people say that.

• 2 months later...

I started this thread. To his credit Wilson seems to have righted the ship and is now a very servicable nickel back and fill in at CB. Glad to be wrong.

I today's game, Wilson is actually playing the tougher position. I think he is just starting to hit his stride.

Archived