Brad Smith getting reps at QB with Buffalo

Jetsfan80

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-08-05/buffalo-bills-training-camp-brad-smith-gets-work-at-qb

Buffalo Bills training camp: Brad Smith gets work at QB

43712-330-0.jpg

WR Brad Smith, a college QB, took snaps during a Buffalo Bills practice. (AP Photo)

Buffalo Bills fans finally got a look at the team’s biggest free-agent signing of the offseason Thursday night when Brad Smith participated in his first practice. Smith lined up at quarterback in individual and 7-on-7 work.

The former star quarterback at Missouri throws a nice ball, but has a bit of a slow delivery.

Smith will assuredly bring more of the Wildcat offense to the Bills this season, and with his throwing ability he can keep defenses honest when running the scheme. Smith will also share kick-return duties with second-year running back C.J. Spiller.

Smith’s verstatility is a perfect match with coach Chan Gailey, who made good use of a similar player in Kordell “Slash” Stewart during their days in Pittsburgh.

Notes: The Bills made a curious free-agent addition Thursday in wide receiver Buster Davis, a former first-round pick of the San Diego Chargers in 2007. Davis has battled injuries in his career, including a groin injury that knocked him out after just seven games in 2010. Bills general manager Buddy Nix was on the Chargers’ staff when Davis was drafted, and Gailey spoke highly of his potential. “He’s worth taking a look at to see if he can come do something special, because he’s really an extremely talented young man,” Gailey said.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-08-05/buffalo-bills-training-camp-brad-smith-gets-work-at-qb#ixzz1UCcPohqn

Smith will assuredly bring more of the Wildcat offense to the Bills this season, and with his throwing ability he can keep defenses honest when running the scheme. Smith will also share kick-return duties with second-year running back C.J. Spiller.

LOL

He never threw, cause he really isnt a good passer. I would venture he ran 90-95% of time he was in Wildcat. The WC was basically ineffective at end of year for us as opposing D's knew we would run all the time. They brought the DBs and LBs up to line of scrimmage

Jets will now see Smith twice yearly and dont be surprised if he makes a game changing play or 2 each encounter.

Gailey will use him more effectively than he was used by the NYJ. (why? because Schott is an idiot OC)

Im concerned about this.

Def should have found a way to keep him.

LOL

He never threw, cause he really isnt a good passer. I would venture he ran 90-95% of time he was in Wildcat. The WC was basically ineffective at end of year for us as opposing D's knew we would run all the time. They brought the DBs and LBs up to line of scrimmage

Worked well at years end against Cincy no?

Worked well at years end against Cincy no?

of course he had some great plays, but, he wasnt worth what he was asking. If he could have shown he could win the #3 WR job I am sure Jets would have paid hm. WC worked well many times, but we ran way too much .I would love it if someone could show our run/pass ratio out of WC. I venture we ran more than any other team

Jets will now see Smith twice yearly and dont be surprised if he makes a game changing play or 2 each encounter.

Gailey will use him more effectively than he was used by the NYJ. (why? because Schott is an idiot OC)

Im concerned about this.

Def should have found a way to keep him.

I agree I would have liked to see him as a more used WR. BUT, I fear it was more his route running and suspect hands (after all, he was a QB) that didnt allow this (or Schotty is a idiot, lol)

LOL

He could have an arm like Peyton Manning for all we know. If there where a metric for OC's that measured misuse of personal Schotty would be like Nick Mangold of it. Leaps and bounds above his closest peer. A once in a generation **** up

He could have an arm like Peyton Manning for all we know.

We have game film of him playing QB at Missouri, and he did make a throw or 2 for us in his time here. His throws look like wounded ducks. There's a good reason we didn't ask him to throw much.

I for one will not write off the Bills. I think Chan Gailey is one those guys that never have got was in a situation where he had a talented team. I would not be surprised if this team is 8-8 or better.

As far as Brad Smith is concerned not sure if he can throw on a consistent basis. Maybe the Bills are not over their infatuation and regret of not being able to draft Tebow!

With the new gameday QB rules, it makes sense to list Brad Smith as what he is - a QB. They can list him as the #3, and pull him in and out of games in the wildcat all game long without any consequence to their QB rotation. The Jets would probably do the same thing if he were still here.

The idea that Brad Smith is the Bills' biggest free agent addition makes me kind of sad for Bills fans.

With the new gameday QB rules, it makes sense to list Brad Smith as what he is - a QB. They can list him as the #3, and pull him in and out of games in the wildcat all game long without any consequence to their QB rotation. The Jets would probably do the same thing if he were still here.

The idea that Brad Smith is the Bills' biggest free agent addition makes me kind of sad for Bills fans.

Given the new game day rules, doesn't it not even matter at all what position they list him at? They eliminated the 3rd QB designation completely and just added another game day spot in its place. They could list Smith as a freakin' kicker for all they wanted, why would it mean anything? The only position I could think that might matter at all would be OL designations simply because of the whole eligible receiver rule.

Given the new game day rules, doesn't it not even matter at all what position they list him at? They eliminated the 3rd QB designation completely and just added another game day spot in its place. They could list Smith as a freakin' kicker for all they wanted, why would it mean anything? The only position I could think that might matter at all would be OL designations simply because of the whole eligible receiver rule.

Meh...

He is a QB. It's his best position, even if it's not really what he's best at. Might as well have him working with the QB's, and listed as one on gamedays. Trying to squeeze him in as a WR was a waste of his talents, and a waste of a roster space at WR, and a waste of the real WR's time in practice. I think this new rule could lead a lot of teams to have an athletic/slash type player in the 3rd QB position. God knows there aren't enough legitimate starters in the league, and the ranks get extremely thin after that. Why carry a marginal, traditional #3 if you can carry a guy who can get you some carries on the field every week?

tongue.gif

Meh...

He is a QB. It's his best position, even if it's not really what he's best at. Might as well have him working with the QB's, and listed as one on gamedays. Trying to squeeze him in as a WR was a waste of his talents, and a waste of a roster space at WR, and a waste of the real WR's time in practice. I think this new rule could lead a lot of teams to have an athletic/slash type player in the 3rd QB position. God knows there aren't enough legitimate starters in the league, and the ranks get extremely thin after that. Why carry a marginal, traditional #3 if you can carry a guy who can get you some carries on the field every week?

With the signing of Mason and Kerley changing his number to 11 (a QB eligible number) I can see the Jets doing the same thing with Kerley on game days with him to get an extra DB against the Pats or more D-line against a running team.

With the signing of Mason and Kerley changing his number to 11 (a QB eligible number) I can see the Jets doing the same thing with Kerley on game days with him to get an extra DB against the Pats or more D-line against a running team.

That doesn't matter at all. There is no extra QB you get to carry on your roster now, the gameday roster just allows one more player now.

Archived