Westerman Unleashed

flgreen

It’s Been Westerman Unleashed This Summer

Posted by Andrew LeRay on August 8, 2011 – 6:15 pm

Linebacker Jamaal Westerman has seized the opportunity of this Jets training camp and has been rewarded for his efforts by the coaching staff. This morning he spoke about his desire to be a factor for the defense this season.

“That’s the kind of person I am,” said Westerman. “I want to keep improving. Until you reach your goals, what are you going to do? Sit back and wait? I think we all have individual goals, but we also have a team goal that we’re all trying to reach.”

Thus far, Westerman has opened the eyes of the coaching staff and players on both sides of the ball. Today, head coach Rex Ryan asserted that the second team defensive line and pass rushers are “dominating the practices.” Westerman is a member of that group, seemingly penetrating the offensive backfield at will, displaying his speed and sheer power.

Last week, Ryan pegged Westerman as a player he could see making a contribution on defense as a DPR, or designated pass rusher.

“It’s finally time,” said Ryan. “It’s his third year. It’s time to unleash him. The thing is that he’s been up against Brick [D’Brickashaw Ferguson] forever, so when you’re going against one of the elite players in the league day in and day out, one of two things happens. Either you get beat down so bad you just go home and go on to your life’s work, or you get better. He’s done a fine job.”

In 20 career games, Westerman has compiled six tackles and a sack, numbers that should improve dramatically this season. As a lifelong defensive end, he has been making the transition to standup linebacker since joining the Jets, a process to which he sees no end.

“I think it’s a learning process that always goes on,” said Westerman. “I think I have a better grasp on it now than I had last year and the year previous. Until you’re done playing, you’re always trying to get a little better.”

Westerman is one of several former DEs now playing LB for the Jets. The shared experience of switching positions has forced the defense to grow closer, feeding information to one another. He says there is an awful lot to get used to after spending your entire career with a hand on the ground.

“We’re working on drops, coverages, different reads,” said Westerman. “There are things you see more on your feet, but you have to know what you’re seeing and how it pertains to you. You have to take it in and be able to calculate it.”

As a defender whose primary responsibility is to pressure the QB, Westerman has concentrated on his pass rush skills. Some of the advice he receives in practice comes from his “opponents,” the Jets’ offensive linemen, for whom he has high praise.

“They’re out there working hard,” said Westerman. “Every now and then, I might ask, ‘Hey, what did you see there? Why did you set like this on me?’ And they might ask, ‘Well, why did you do this pass rush on me? What did you feel?’ Each of us is trying to get better individually, but we’re also trying to get better as a team. So whenever you can help a guy, you always try to help him out.”

In addition to Ryan, the improvement of Westerman has also caught the eye of a fellow defender, who believes now is the time for him to break out.

“The first year, you don’t really understand how to be a pro yet,” said LB Bart Scott. “The second year, you become comfortable and assume that you know more than you really know. You find yourself making mistakes that you know better than to make. The third year, you come in hungry because you know by the fourth year, if you haven’t made that leap, you’re out of the league.”

Hunger is something that defines Westerman. He says his motor and relentless approach are his most valuable assets, two traits most desired by Ryan. Westerman’s skillset was on display in today’s practice, as he feigned blitz on two separate occasions and deflected passes by both Mark Sanchez and Mark Brunell.

“I want to be that guy who’s never satisfied, who always stays hungry,” said Westerman. “I haven’t reached my goals, and we haven’t reached our goals as a team, so I’m always motivated and passionate about this game. Rex says he doesn’t ask for a lot, he just asks for everything you’ve got.”

“Everything” is what Westerman plans to give the Jets this season.

Mason’s First Action as a Jet

Newly acquired WR Derrick Mason participated in team drills for the first time today. In limited action, Mason was positioned in the slot with the first offense. Sanchez found Mason on the first snap of team drills, hitting him on a quick out.

“It felt good to be back out on the field, to laugh, get pushed around and catch a few balls,” Mason said after the workout. “I just have to get my legs up under me. They started to go a little bit on me in the middle of practice, but I’m not worried about that. A few more practices, I’ll be fine.”

Mason wore pink cleats today, a decision he cleared with Ryan. There’s a reason for his choice of footwear.

“My mom is dealing with breast cancer — this is her second bout,” Mason explained. “She is going through remission now, so I just continue to wear the cleats throughout the whole season.”

Practice Notes

For the second day in a row, WR Plaxico Burress spent very little time working with the full first offense, although he got more than the reps he got Sunday. … CB Darrelle Revis made a nifty interception of Sanchez on a short pass over the middle intended for WR Logan Payne. … LB David Harris worked individual drills but sat out the team period. No reason was given. … Former TE Anthony Becht, one of the Jets’ “Four Aces” first-round picks in 2000, came by for a sideline visit.

Two-Minute Drill

Brunell put on a clinic during the two-minute drill at the end of practice. The 40-year-old QB began with a 32-yard pass over the middle to rookie WR Scotty McKnight. Two snaps later, Brunell found McKnight again. S Davon Morgan played the pass aggressively, arrived to the ball late, and was beat by McKnight for a “game-winning” 35-yard touchdown. … While the second offense got the best of the second defense in two-minute, the opposite held true for the first teams. Led by Scott, the defensive army applied tremendous pressure to Sanchez. The drive stalled at the opposing 30 after a failed fourth-down conversion.

I remember an article like this about Victor Green. I thought to myself. Wow, this guy was an UDFA and they're talking about him like THAT? he turned out to be pretty damn good. I hope the same is true for Westerman. God do I hope it's true!

With our revamped defensive front, I'm truly expecting Calvin Pace to have a tremendous season. It's a breath of fresh air, knowing that we have Pace 100% healthy and ready to go without having to face a 4 game suspension starting off the year such as last season. Now, if Jamaal Westerman can provide an added pass rush? It'll become a fun defense to watch. In order for us to take advantage of Revis and Cromartie shutting down on the outside... We need our pass rush to step up. Hopefully Westerman can provide some defensive sparks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NV7Xlfaszk

I remember an article like this about Victor Green. I thought to myself. Wow, this guy was an UDFA and they're talking about him like THAT? he turned out to be pretty damn good. I hope the same is true for Westerman. God do I hope it's true!

Westerman's talent has been obvious to REX. he surely kept the guy around learning. I feel that if Rex saw something in the guy, he must be pretty darn good. I am hoping we found a gem. I have also read some positive articles about Nick Bellore, the MLB. Rex sure knows the kid's name. Let hope he is the real deal and another gem. Our team sure has a way finding UDFA. De Vito comes to mind in recent times. Chrebet in the past.

Westerman's talent has been obvious to REX. he surely kept the guy around learning. I feel that if Rex saw something in the guy, he must be pretty darn good. I am hoping we found a gem. I have also read some positive articles about Nick Bellore, the MLB. Rex sure knows the kid's name. Let hope he is the real deal and another gem. Our team sure has a way finding UDFA. De Vito comes to mind in recent times. Chrebet in the past.

yeah, KJ and having guys like Devito and Bart Scott, who have made good from the UDFA situation, are good for the guys to learn from as well. I love guys that have to work their way up as opposed to the highly touted Gholstons of the world. I'm rooting for all the young guys on the Jets to make our team better because I am lost on some of the moves we've made this offseason. I'll trust and root like always, but if the young guys have a hard time it might be tough at times for us.

With our revamped defensive front, I'm truly expecting Calvin Pace to have a tremendous season. It's a breath of fresh air, knowing that we have Pace 100% healthy and ready to go without having to face a 4 game suspension starting off the year such as last season. Now, if Jamaal Westerman can provide an added pass rush? It'll become a fun defense to watch. In order for us to take advantage of Revis and Cromartie shutting down on the outside... We need our pass rush to step up. Hopefully Westerman can provide some defensive sparks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NV7Xlfaszk

Last year Pace was out with the foot injury. It was two years ago he was out 4 games due to suspension. Supposedly last year he was never 100%, so hopefully being healthy this year he can generate a lil better pass rush.

my biggest reservation about westerman is that he's very slow. i'm not getting too excited. he might add depth to OLB, but i don't see him as a DPR. we'll see though.

And whats up with so many of our LB's being previous DE's

I know you need containment DE's in a 3-4 but why dont we simply get LB's to play the damn position? No wonder why we cant get a pass rush going. We have DE's playing out of position.

I know you need containment DE's in a 3-4 but why dont we simply get LB's to play the damn position? No wonder why we cant get a pass rush going. We have DE's playing out of position.

4-3 DE is not the same as 3-4 DE. a 3-4 DE is essentially a smallish-DT in the 4-3 (~300 lbs) built to take on multiple blockers. Many of the best 3-4 OLBs are players who would be passrushing DEs in the 4-3 (Ware, Woodley, Suggs, etc.) - the size and athleticism required is roughly the same, though a 3-4 OLB needs to be better in coverage than a 4-3 DE as well. As for "simply getting LBs to play the position", not many college teams run the 3-4, so there aren't very many 3-4 OLBs to begin with coming out of college. And moving a 4-3 OLB to 3-4 OLB is just as much a position change as moving a 4-3 DE to OLB. The only difference is what the primary transition issue will be for them. For the 4-3 DE, it's the new coverage responsibilities. For the 4-3 OLB, its the new pass rush responsibilities.

Savvy?

Because that's really the only way you find them. The majority of standup OLB's played DE with their hand in the dirt in college. Only a small handful of schools play a 3-4 (Virginia, Bama, Tech, Michigan ran a 4-4 sometimes under Carr...etc.). It's not a common scheme used at the college level. Very hard scheme to fit personnel-wise even at D-1. Hali, Merriman, Ware, Suggs...they all played down and were converted. Woodley too even the majority of the time.

4-3 DE is not the same as 3-4 DE. a 3-4 DE is essentially a smallish-DT in the 4-3 (~300 lbs) built to take on multiple blockers. Many of the best 3-4 OLBs are players who would be passrushing DEs in the 4-3 (Ware, Woodley, Suggs, etc.) - the size and athleticism required is roughly the same, though a 3-4 OLB needs to be better in coverage than a 4-3 DE as well. As for "simply getting LBs to play the position", not many college teams run the 3-4, so there aren't very many 3-4 OLBs to begin with coming out of college. And moving a 4-3 OLB to 3-4 OLB is just as much a position change as moving a 4-3 DE to OLB. The only difference is what the primary transition issue will be for them. For the 4-3 DE, it's the new coverage responsibilities. For the 4-3 OLB, its the new pass rush responsibilities.

Savvy?

I do understand everything you stated above, my thing is this...

If 4-3 DE's are 3-4 OLB's then what are 4-3 OLB's in the 3-4? No matter what they would still have to be OLB's. My guess is that it would be easier to teach an already OLB the gap responsibilites and how to rush the QB quicker than a DE not only having to change positions, but then learn that position from a different vantage point. The game looks very different for a DE going into a OLB and they have responsibilities that they never had before. An OLB would have all of the same responsibilities that they had but all they would have to learn is the scheme of the 3-4.

Im not saying you're wrong, because you're not. It just seems to me that we should have some natrual OLB's. Its not like they're slower or something they have to cover TE's/RB's. OLB's in a 4-3 blitz the QB just like in a 3-4.

Maybe there's something im missing here. Maybe it could be the size of a 4-3 OLB thats different from a 4-3 DE with a bigger frame but with the same speed of a OLB which can have them make the transition (possibily) to a 3-4 OLB.

Because that's really the only way you find them. The majority of standup OLB's played DE with their hand in the dirt in college. Only a small handful of schools play a 3-4 (Virginia, Bama, Tech, Michigan ran a 4-4 sometimes under Carr...etc.). It's not a common scheme used at the college level. Very hard scheme to fit personnel-wise even at D-1. Hali, Merriman, Ware, Suggs...they all played down and were converted. Woodley too even the majority of the time.

I understand. But its not like there are no OLB's in a 4-3 defense. There's "3" of them! LMAO.

Basically what im asking is "is there a reason why you search for a DE to play LB in a 3-4 instead of getting a OLB in a 4-3 to play the position"? If its about size then they can bulk up in a way that can help them maintain their speed.

I dont know, Its not a big issue, but the situation has me curious I guess.

If 4-3 DE's are 3-4 OLB's then what are 4-3 OLB's in the 3-4? No matter what they would still have to be OLB's. My guess is that it would be easier to teach an already OLB the gap responsibilites and how to rush the QB quicker than a DE not only having to change positions, but then learn that position from a different vantage point. The game looks very different for a DE going into a OLB and they have responsibilities that they never had before. An OLB would have all of the same responsibilities that they had but all they would have to learn is the scheme of the 3-4.

Im not saying you're wrong, because you're not. It just seems to me that we should have some natrual OLB's. Its not like they're slower or something they have to cover TE's/RB's. OLB's in a 4-3 blitz the QB just like in a 3-4.

Maybe there's something im missing here. Maybe it could be the size of a 4-3 OLB thats different from a 4-3 DE with a bigger frame but with the same speed of a OLB which can have them make the transition (possibily) to a 3-4 OLB.

No. The majority of 4-3 OLB's at the college level don't even get considered for 3-4 OLB. Guys like Cushing have, but many a time if they're considered to even fit in a 3-4, which is not often, it's for the inside. Doggin is 100% spot on. These are pretty basic concepts when it comes to scouting for the 2 schemes. The positional responsibilities for 3-4 OLB's and 4-3 OLB's arent even remotely similar and neither are the physical requirements.

EDIT: Meant to type Matthews on the above.

No. The majority of 4-3 OLB's at the college level don't even get considered for 3-4 OLB. Guys like Cushing have, but many a time if they're considered to even fit in a 3-4, which is not often, it's for the inside. Doggin is 100% spot on. These are pretty basic concepts when it comes to scouting for the 2 schemes. The positional responsibilities for 3-4 OLB's and 4-3 OLB's arent even remotely similar and neither are the physical requirements.

I see what you mean.

I understand. But its not like there are no OLB's in a 4-3 defense. There's "3" of them! LMAO.

They play an entirely different position. They're linebackers together in name only. By almost all measures a 4-3 DE's position is way more similar to a 3-4 OLB's.

Basically what im asking is "is there a reason why you search for a DE to play LB in a 3-4 instead of getting a OLB in a 4-3 to play the position"? If its about size then they can bulk up in a way that can help them maintain their speed.

Yes. For the most part it's because a dude with a 4-3 DE's body and speed can get around a tackle. 4-3 OLB's not so much. More or less it comes down to the fact that these are the guys who are physically able to get around 300+ pound behemoths who have footwork like lightweight boxers for the purpose of getting the quarterback.

They play an entirely different position. They're linebackers together in name only. By almost all measures a 4-3 DE's position is way more similar to a 3-4 OLB's.

Yes. For the most part it's because a dude with a 4-3 DE's body and speed can get around a tackle. 4-3 OLB's not so much. More or less it comes down to the fact that these are the guys who are physically able to get around 300+ pound behemoths who have footwork like lightweight boxers for the purpose of getting the quarterback.

Good looks. I understand now. Thanks.

So this is what a Rutgers degree gets you.

If 4-3 DE's are 3-4 OLB's then what are 4-3 OLB's in the 3-4?

Typically? 3-4 ILBs, or, more often, not drafted/signed to play the 3-4. Not every player fits every system.

No matter what they would still have to be OLB's. My guess is that it would be easier to teach an already OLB the gap responsibilites and how to rush the QB quicker than a DE not only having to change positions, but then learn that position from a different vantage point. The game looks very different for a DE going into a OLB and they have responsibilities that they never had before. An OLB would have all of the same responsibilities that they had but all they would have to learn is the scheme of the 3-4.

As RJF pointed out, most 3-4 OLBs are converts from DE. So the professionals seem to disagree with you about which transition is easier - though likely its more that 4-3 OLBs aren't big enough to play outside in the 3-4.

Archived