Contrast in Style: Rex vs. Pettine

Integrity28

Pettine takes a crappy team and has them in the playoff hunt.

Rex takes playoff teams and turns them into top 5 draft pick teams.

Yea, Rex is a much better HC.

No, Rex took a team lead by a future HoF QB that missed the playoffs n took it to two AFCCGs with a rookie starting QB. Yeah, same AFCCG card every time but it's true.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no one is saying that but you don't have to be lombardi ot be better than rex.

hell you don't even have to be as good as coughlin

in case you haven't noticed rex's bar is not set that high.

so yes pettine is better than rex

Please, Rex deserves everything he's getting but definitely stating that Pettine is a better head coach 10 games into his head coaching tenure is stupid. If I have to explain this further then it's not worth me explaining.

Please, Rex deserves everything he's getting but definitely stating that Pettine is a better head coach 10 games into his head coaching tenure is stupid. If I have to explain this further then it's not worth me explaining.

all i am saying is he is better than rex not better than a real coach yet.

i would never say he is better than tomlin or arians or even coughlin 10 games into his career but i can say without a doubt he is better than wrecks.

I'm not a Pettine fan, but everything you said is true. There's no accountability or discipline

No, neither am I. I'm trying to be objective about it. I think Rex calls a defense in-game much better than Pettine, but Pettine is exhibiting the overall skillset you'd expect of a head coach.

The Browns signed Ben Tate to a decent FA contract, and that didn't stop them from bolstering the competition at RB as they also drafted West and signed UDFA Crowell. As the season has gone on, the Browns have started a different RB from week-to-week, rewarding the player with the best week of practice with the start. This comes on the heels of them choosing Brian Hoyer as their QB over the media darling Manziel, because Hoyer out-played Manziel and earned it.

This is what I'd consider an example of true competition, and the result is an over-achieving football team. What we've seen under Rex has never come close to this, in any way, shape or form.

As Tate has become disgruntled over his demotion, Pettine has on a number of occasions given the blueprint for him to regain his job. He's made it clear Tate needed to outplay his backfield mates in practice, he failed to do so, and chose the route of complaining to the media.

He was cut today. Not only was he benched for performance reasons, but he was kept on the bench and ultimately released for disciplinary reasons. Here with Rex, players miss meetings and get starts. It was only here in year 6, after the backlash of Geno getting the start after missing meetings that Rex finally benched a guy for disciplinary reasons.

How these two could ever function in the same room together is beyond me.

Pettine may prove to be the better coach. We'll see. Many teams get a bump when any new head coach comes in. The Jets got a bump in Herm Edwards' first year.

There are a lot of legitimate complaints about Rex, but I don't think it's fair to hang the QB handling this year on him. My opinion is that the faux competition we saw this year was dictated from the GM's office, and it's entirely possible that Geno starting the San Diego game came from there, too. John Idzik has (or had) a real interest in seeing whether or not Geno could be the guy, Rex really should only have had an interest in saving his job (and winning!). He doesn't do that by keeping Geno in there unless he was promised something.

And Drew Stanton? When did Rex have a chance to coach him? The final nail in Tannenbaum's coffin was his handling of the QB position, IMHO. When Rex would famously say that Mark Sanchez gave him the best chance to win, he was, unfortunately, telling the truth. The new GM should've gotten the QB memo, but instead hung his hat on Geno Smith. Hopefully his handling of the QB position gets him fired, too, and the next new guy puts the appropriate emphasis on the position.

Thank you. MP gets way too much credit. He was 'benched' from play calling two straight years, which ticked him off.

He also came close to punching out Schitty after the Tebow game and the Jints/Xmas Eve disaster, games in which the defense did it's job in each and the offense screwed the pooch while the HC did...well no one is really sure what he ever did to fix the offense. Ever.

He took Mangini's teams to the playoffs.

Rex was just along for the ride.

No he didn't. Thats a misconception. Mangini had reliable QBs throughout his era. Ryan never had that. Ryan cleaned the house when he joined, releasing SEVERAL Mangini guys while adding his own. 

There are a lot of legitimate complaints about Rex, but I don't think it's fair to hang the QB handling this year on him. My opinion is that the faux competition we saw this year was dictated from the GM's office, and it's entirely possible that Geno starting the San Diego game came from there, too. John Idzik has (or had) a real interest in seeing whether or not Geno could be the guy, Rex really should only have had an interest in saving his job (and winning!). He doesn't do that by keeping Geno in there unless he was promised something. 

its no way to run a football team 

and cmon. Geno Smith? Who goes all in on Geno Smith? It's a shocking lapse of judgment. 

He also came close to punching out Schitty after the Tebow game and the Jints/Xmas Eve disaster, games in which the defense did it's job in each and the offense screwed the pooch while the HC did...well no one is really sure what he ever did to fix the offense. Ever.

Under Rex's term, he's had three different OCs, four different starting QBs (#6, #1, #7 and Simms), several different starting RBs, several different WRs and a handful of different TEs. The only ones that have remained the same in ALL these years are Brick and Mangold. So its not a matter of him not trying. Our scouting department just sucks. Theres no other way to put it. I don't care if Bradsh*t wanted Wilson in the 3rd round. If he was so sure of Russell, he would have picked him in the first. If Belichick was sure of Brady, he would've traded up to 1st overall and picked him. You don't take chances if you are sure a player would change the face of an organization.  We are deviating from the subject, but you get the point. 

No he didn't. Thats a misconception. Mangini had reliable QBs throughout his era. Ryan never had that. Ryan cleaned the house when he joined, releasing SEVERAL Mangini guys while adding his own. 

Mangini had a broken Penny, Clemens, and a half-year of healthy Favre. That's not reliability. If Favre stays healthy, Mangini never gets fired. I'd say you are exaggerating at best with that part of your statement.

As for the bold, you are just flat out wrong. If memory serves, in 2009 we got rid of Nugent and Coles. We kept the same OL, mostly the same defense. Revis got a year old, that was huge for Rex having Revis after he endured his rookie struggles. We added Braylon, Lito Shephard, Leonard and Bart. We only drafted 3 players: Sanchez, Slauson and Greene. At some point, I think we added Strickland that year.

As far as team turnover goes, there was barely any. There wasn't much major turnover in 2010 either. It was around 2011 when Rex started to really turn the team over and guys he endorsed as "his guys" started to fill the roster.

We all know how the rest goes.

Mangini had a broken Penny, Clemens, and a half-year of healthy Favre. That's not reliability. If Favre stays healthy, Mangini never gets fired. I'd say you are exaggerating at best with that part of your statement.

As for the bold, you are just flat out wrong. If memory serves, in 2009 we got rid of Nugent and Coles. We kept the same OL, mostly the same defense. Revis got a year old, that was huge for Rex having Revis after he endured his rookie struggles. We added Braylon, Lito Shephard, Leonard and Bart. We only drafted 3 players: Sanchez, Slauson and Greene. At some point, I think we added Strickland that year.

As far as team turnover goes, there was barely any. There wasn't much major turnover in 2010 either. It was around 2011 when Rex started to really turn the team over and guys he endorsed as "his guys" started to fill the roster.

We all know how the rest goes.

Ummmmmmm....it was actually a huge turnover.  Much more than the norm.

19 new players were add on the active roster in 09.  That's a huge turnover from 08.

This myth that Rex won with Mangini's team is the most ridiculous thing this board has conjured up over the past few years.

Ummmmmmm....it was actually a huge turnover.  Much more than the norm.

19 new players were on the active roster from 08 to 09.  That's a huge turnover.

This myth that Rex is won with Mangini is the most ridiculous thing this board has conjured up over the past few years.

Myth? How many starters changed?

9-7 in 2008, Favre's arm kept us out of the playoffs.

9-7 in 2009, luck and charity from the Colts helped us back into the playoffs.

Aside from Sanchez, Braylon, Leonard, and Scott I cannot recall any turnovers to the starting lineup. I don't even think Braylon was here from the beginning either. I could be remembering wrong.

Next time the 53rd roster spot makes or breaks a season, let me know.

Aside from Sanchez, Braylon, Leonard, and Scott I cannot recall any turnovers to the starting lineup. I don't even think Braylon was here from the beginning either. I could be remembering wrong.

19 players to the active roster is a monster turnover. 

From a starter perspective;  Sanchez, Leonhard, Scott, Sheppard, Douglas, Edwards (picked up week 3 but was their #1 for the rest of the season), Greene (when Jenkins went down), so 7 starters out of 22..and to act like the rest of the new additions didnt have an impact is just silly.  Greene, Strickland, Cole, Carrol, Westerman...all those dudes played valuable minutes.  The others, not so much. But its still major turnover.  

2010 added even more...(Holmes, LT, Cro, Cumby, Connor, Slauson, McKnight, Pryce, Brunnel, Pool, Taylor, Dixon, Westerman, Wilson, and more).

And the cutest part of the whole story is some of them were leftover from Parcell/Groh/Edwards - (Ellis, Cotch, Thomas, Pouha, Rhodes, Moore) but people like to leave that part out too.

From a starter perspective; Sanchez, Leonhard, Scott, Sheppard, Douglas, Edwards (picked up week 3 but was their #1 for the rest of the season), Greene (when Jenkins went down), so 7 starters out of 22..and to act like the rest of the new additions didnt have an impact is just silly. Greene, Strickland, Cole, Carrol, Westerman...all those dudes played valuable minutes. The others, not so much. But its still major turnover.

2010 added even more...(Holmes, LT, Cro, Cumby, Connor, Slauson, McKnight, Pryce, Brunnel, Pool, Taylor, Dixon, Westerman, Wilson, and more).

And the cutest part of the whole story is some of them were leftover from Parcell/Groh/Edwards - (Ellis, Cotch, Thomas, Pouha, Rhodes, Moore) but people like to leave that part out too.

You simp. The issue was that they dumped good people and brought in bad people. As more of those good dudes (brought in under Mangini) left, the team got worse. Your ******* idiot coach tried to build a team around Santonio Holmes and Joe McKnight.

Here is the gist of this thread :

Rex is with the JETS. So he cannot be good.

Pettine is  on the other side. And you know what the grass is always greener on the other side. So he has got to be good.

Advantage Pettine.

Now let's make up a reason and justify Pettine's selection to the world.

Yawn.

The QB is the 53rd spot on the roster now?  Poor Mangini, the HOF arm kept him out of the playoffs.  Boo hoo. 

4 new starters on D. One of the returning players was Gholston.  Sure, Jenkins was a holdover, but he played 16 for Mangini and 7 total for Rex.  

You simp. The issue was that they dumped good people and brought in bad people. As more of those good dudes (brought in under Mangini) left, the team got worse. Your ******* idiot coach tried to build a team around Santonio Holmes and Joe McKnight.

Yes,  he really bet the farm on Joe McKnight.  If I have to hear one more time how they let Woodhead go...if that little cocksucker could play kick coverage, the Jets didn't need to beat the Colts to make the playoffs in 2009.  Or even worse, at 10-6 they'd have been tied for the division and might have had a home game.  JiF is a simp, but you and Ape are claiming Rex took Mangini's team when that team lost its single greatest asset?  

From a starter perspective;  Sanchez, Leonhard, Scott, Sheppard, Douglas, Edwards (picked up week 3 but was their #1 for the rest of the season), Greene (when Jenkins went down), so 7 starters out of 22..and to act like the rest of the new additions didnt have an impact is just silly.  Greene, Strickland, Cole, Carrol, Westerman...all those dudes played valuable minutes.  The others, not so much. But its still major turnover.  

Quantity of turnover doesn't equal "major turnover".

Like I said, which is the point you seem incapable of grasping, there were only about 4 positions that were replaced. The rest was trading JAGs for JAGs. To imply that Marquice Cole played "valuable minutes" as some meaningful upgrade over Drew Coleman (or whoever he replaced on the 3rd team defense) is laughable.

Going from Favre to Sanchez turned out to be a wash. Both turned the ball over a tone, both found ways to help us win a couple games we shouldnt' have.

Bart and Leonard helped make the defense better, no question. 

Braylon played some good football for us, but did he make such a splash that it upgraded the offense compared to what we had with Favre the year before? No.

Rex took Mangini's team swapped out 3-4 key players, and got the same results. It just so happened that we backed into the playoffs with Rex. The next year, the players added helped us improve. That was also the final year of having the offensive nucleus put in place during Mangini's years. After that, Rex's re-loading of the roster killed the team. Blame Tanny if you want, but nobody was blaming Tanny when they were fapping over the past-their-prime turds Rex was taking credit for during the press conferences.

The QB is the 53rd spot on the roster now?  Poor Mangini, the HOF arm kept him out of the playoffs.  Boo hoo. 

4 new starters on D. One of the returning players was Gholston.  Sure, Jenkins was a holdover, but he played 16 for Mangini and 7 total for Rex.  

Why do you struggle so much with comprehension?

Yes, he really bet the farm on Joe McKnight. If I have to hear one more time how they let Woodhead go...if that little cocksucker could play kick coverage, the Jets didn't need to beat the Colts to make the playoffs in 2009. Or even worse, at 10-6 they'd have been tied for the division and might have had a home game. JiF is a simp, but you and Ape are claiming Rex took Mangini's team when that team lost its single greatest asset?

I don't think I've ever brought up Woodhead as a knock on Rex.

The Mangini teams--almost to a fault--prioritized character. Rex's teams prioritized swagger. Rex is leaving the team as smoldering wreckage.

I don't think I've ever brought up Woodhead as a knock on Rex.

The Mangini teams--almost to a fault--prioritized character. Rex's teams prioritized swagger. Rex is leaving the team as smoldering wreckage.

1.  It was a ******* hell of a lot more than "almost" to a fault.

2. I blame the GM.  I understand the coach has say on the draft and FA pickups, but the GM can overrule and certainly puts the $ on guys like Holmes and Sanchez.  The interesting thing is that Idzik seemed to be able to stand up to Rex - I don't think Rex like Milliner much and I know he wanted more CBs even before the injuries.  The roster just sucks.  

I have no recollection of your take on the fidget, but Woodhead is a sore spot for me, because I have to hear how they "backed into the playoffs" "gifted by the Almighty Peyton."  That little sh*t cost them a game when McKnight would have simply turned Ginn back inside either of the times he scored and the Jets are 9-6 going into the last week.  They were carrying a guy that could not play coverage and had decent backs anyway.  They were short WRs because of the Holmes suspension and Rex even toyed with Woodhead in the slot, he just wasn't a good fit at the time. 

Archived