GREAT Lorenzo Mauldin interview!!

Blackout

Man o man...how does a kid overcome a life like that?

I've been hoping for a playmaking OLB for what seems like forever. If this kid can be that playmaker he'd easily become my favorite and I'm sure many other fans too.

Great story. All the 16 year old puss ies walking around with Air Jordans, iPhones, and bitching that mommy and daddy won't buy them a car should take a listen to those interviews.

Season can't come quick enough!!

Volunteer with kids like this all the time, it's absolutely insane how much natural talent some of these kids have that go completely unnoticed or wasted due to terrible circumstances. Much props to the kid for overcoming them and his anger, hope he has a 10+ season long career, because he's the type of player young athletes should actually look up to. 

I want all Jets draft picks to succeed, but I can't recall a Jet in recent history who I was rooting for on a personal level more than Mauldin.   His description of how personal responsibility and resolve to overcome astronomical odds through sheer will power played a role in his life is exceptional to hear.  I think many draftniks really take pleasure in the human interest side of these matters, because at the end of the day you aren't just drafting a 40 yard dash time, you are recruiting a kid who will mature within the organization and ideally become a top player at his position and leader of the team.  Lets go Mauldin! 

I want all Jets draft picks to succeed, but I can't recall a Jet in recent history who I was rooting for on a personal level more than Mauldin.   His description of how personal responsibility and resolve to overcome astronomical odds through sheer will power played a role in his life is exceptional to hear.  I think many draftniks really take pleasure in the human interest side of these matters, because at the end of the day you aren't just drafting a 40 yard dash time, you are recruiting a kid who will mature within the organization and ideally become a top player at his position and leader of the team.  Lets go Mauldin! 

overcome astronomical odds through sheer will power? You need to listen to this again.

overcome astronomical odds through sheer will power? You need to listen to this again.

Mauldin was generous in praising those along the way who helped him.  But I don't see that being in tension with the thought that will power to overcome adversity played a crucial role.  

If you want to be very literal in your construction of Mauldin's narrative then sure it is predicated on assistance and care from extra-familial sources.  

But if you look to the substance of his narrative it is about a kid who is deprived of the structure and support that most people are privileged to have growing up, and despite that from a young age he did whatever he could to survive, going door to door for jobs, not looking for handouts, and ultimately holding himself personally accountable for his future.  

I'm glad that he is giving back to society by doing charitable work related to orphans and kids in group homes, but equally important is what he symbolizes as a resilient figure who came from nothing and through hard work came to a position of financial security and relative acclaim within a competitive profession.  

Archived