Mac Should Be On The Phone All Night

SR24

15 minutes ago, Powpow said:

He should have been signed well before this got out of hand.

of course.  But we have no idea which party has been unreasonably stubborn for the past 18 months with this.  Perhaps both sides have been unreasonable.

44 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We need more than one 2nd rounder for him but I agree with the op that we need to try and trade him now and not let him walk next year for diddly.

if only Tennessee were interested.  They should be because they suck at DE.  Give them Mo and our #51 we get #33 plus either #43 or #45.  Translates to Mo being about 650 points on the draft chart (1st round, pick 29 value).

11 hours ago, Pcola said:

Macc can't trade Mo because he has zero leverage.  We have to rework contracts to sign our rookies.  That means no money to resign Fitz or even bring in Hoyer.  No reserve in case of injury.  Every other GM in the league knows this.  His only other choice is to sign Mo long term and defer the cap hit to next year.  And since that is not happening, teams know he has no choice.  He is going to get fleeced Ina trade or he is going to rescind the tag.  There are teams (Jags) that are just sitting back and waiting for that.

this isn't going to end well for Macc.

Man is that great to see.

Pick up an olineman and some filler 3rd QB today and our roster is all set for this season.

Scenario 1: Keep Wilkerson, sign a veteran like Hoyer

• we still don't know if we have a long-term solution at QB
  • allows us to look at best OL, TE, CB, OLB and WR with all picks this draft
  • can't afford Fitz, but he'd be better than Hoyer

Scenario 2: Keep Wilkerson, draft a rookie QB like Cook

• we still don't know if we have a long-term solution at QB, but Cook is at least a prospect
  • means we will come out of draft with 1-less skill position need met
  • don't need Fitz

Scenario 3: Trade Wilkerson, re-sign Fitz

• we still don't know if we have a long-term solution at QB
  • offense will have a ceiling on how good it can be
  • defense takes a step backwards
  • more draft picks (presumably) for this and next year, allows us to look at best OL, TE, CB, OLB and WR with all picks this draft

I honestly cannot decide which of these is the best path for the team. Short and/or long term.

4 hours ago, Pcola said:

So letting Mo play for $16M this year or rescinding the tag are good options?  We let him play out and next years tag is going to close to $20M.  

We dont have cap space to do anything.  Other GMs know this and are just waiting us out.

If we sign him long term he'll be playing for 16m this year anyway.  Plus 16m for the net 3-4 years at least. 

9 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

So let me get this straight:  DON'T trade him for a second round pick, so we can wait next year and MAYBE get a 3rd round pick for him.

Got it....

9 hours ago, Dcat said:

no guaranty we would get a comp pick.  Jets will have a lot of money in 2017 cap for free agents and Mac could easily acquire more of them than we lose, yielding no comp picks for Mo.  Exactly the same as this year where we are destined to get ZERO comp picks for Snacks/Ivory/D. Davis.  Zero.

Losing Mo for a 2nd or a 3rd is terrible. I'd rather keep him this year and franchise him again then trade him for a 2nd rounder. It's insane. He's one of the best players in the NFL. 

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

It could.

Sign Mo long term.  He's a brilliant talent and young still.

Resign Fitz to a reasonable deal.  I guarantee he'll take 10-12 mil for 2 years, and a long-term Mo deal makes that an option.

Draft a QB is the mid-rounds, like the smart, NFL ready guys like Cook (likely 3rd) or the kid from Stanford (likely 4th/5th).

I simply do not understand where the fanbase hatred of Mo comes from, and the seemingly universal desire to dump him like a bad habit.  He's very good, and worth big money, and a D-Line that has Sheldon, Mo, Williams available is an exceptional D-Line, and helps to protect players like Maudlin and the new kid Lee vs. the run, and allows them to exploit what they're best at, speed, persuit, pass rush.

Lets wait and see, but I reject out of hand the media-driven idea that Mo "must" be traded and that Fitz "won't" accept a reasonable deal.  

Agree. Mo is one of the most underappreciated Jets that I can remember. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If a 2nd rounder for him is idiocy, why wouldn't any team offer a 1st rounder?

Because teams understand they have to trade a pick for him and then turn around and give him a long-term deal. The Jets should simply keep him. Franchise him again in hopes of the possibility of trading him once again. I'm sorry but this guy is legit. He's young, talented, a leader, and keeps his nose clean. 

I think he's worth more than a 1st to be honest. He's the type to build around. My opinion, that's all. 

14 hours ago, Ghost said:

Because teams understand they have to trade a pick for him and then turn around and give him a long-term deal. The Jets should simply keep him. Franchise him again in hopes of the possibility of trading him once again. I'm sorry but this guy is legit. He's young, talented, a leader, and keeps his nose clean. 

I think he's worth more than a 1st to be honest. He's the type to build around. My opinion, that's all. 

Exactly. But your stance - whether you realize it or not - is you're saying he's worth more to the Jets than any other franchise thinks he's worth to them.

Archived