Devin Smith to PUP list

JetNation

Ken O"Brien played for Cal Davis, but he had a big arm.  He was able to be coached, relatively quickly, to throw the ball long to good receivers.  If you can throw and catch in the NFL you win at least 8 games.  Add a running game and defense that can rush the passer, you got to the AFCCG.  If you you can't run or rush the passer in the mud, you lose.

The inability of Fitz to stretch the field will hurt the Jets.  The plan can potentially work because he is accurate and his receivers are very big.   They can move down the field and then jump ball in the Red Zone. But I do think that the Jets become a better team long term if they move on from Fitz after this year and build a more vertical offense.

I am not optimistic Devin Smith ever works out.  But look at the low round/undrafted receivers!  It could basically be a wash.  That is why I am focused on keeping them and not keeping 4 QBs.

Yeah, definitely don't get the extreme level of hatred some already have for the kid.  Granted, he certainly hasn't done anything to deserve praise yet, but "bust" claims based solely on a rookie year that was derailed by injuries is pretty absurd.  You think people would start to learn after a while how bad of an idea it is to try to evaluate on such an extraordinarily limited sample size.  We have had guys in the past who have been endlessly praised for having decent first years, and then went on to become some of the most hated Jets, while others who had quiet starts and stepped up considerably from there.  How quickly we all forget that this time last year Pryor was getting absolutely trashed, and now he's fairly highly regarded around here by just about everyone (other than those still trying to justify their previous position).

And as much as I'm happy with a few of this year's rookie WRs, we probably shouldn't all start creaming ourselves before we know if any of them end up going the way of Ryan Spadola (or many others on a long list before him).

The old deep ball excuse is lame.  Ftizpatick and just about any nfl QB, suspect arm or not can make deep plays.  You don;t have to throw it 60 yards to make a deep completion.  An NFL wr has to be effective running all routes or he is very limited.

Smith had the big horrible fumble on specials, did not seem to run great patterns of any length and then the injuries came.

They won't give up on the guy just yet but as I've stated many times about young WR players in this league,Catch the ball and don't get hurt or you will get passed in a hurry.  Smith has a heck of a lot less security than he had even a year ago simply because peake, anderson and marshall have all flashed.

7 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Smith is Dog S""", He plays slow, looks scared, brought in to stretch the field, I see not of the positives he was drafted for. The Rookies look like nothing I've ever seen, i.e We have 3 young guys who are rookies and all can play, "I'm I watching the Jets?"

The Jets think Smith is the most talented of the young receivers.  

Archived