Cimini is 100% right on Geno playing on Thurs

AFJF

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And wait....you thought the 2015 Giants game was boring?  The one where we scored 10 unanswered points in the 4th quarter for a comeback win, the first time we'd beaten the Giants since 1993?  That one?

Yes, I fell asleep at half time because the game was horrific to watch, outside of the Giants botching the final minutes of the game that was the most boring game I have sat through.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I just hope if the Jets are toast early they bench the loser for one of the kids, I don't need people screaming next year we should sign him again for another 12 million plus if the Jets start 1-6, 2-5, and then when the back end of the schedule lightens up with a lot of scrubby teams Fitz winning say 6 of the 9 games the fans will be pointing out how he finished strong down the stretch he is our best option yada yada yada, forgetting he is not good enough to beat good teams in this league no matter the supporting cast.  Watching him this preseason is worse then what I saw of him last season which was almost unwatchable football as far as enjoyment goes for me,  I never thought I would see a more boring unwatchable game then the Giants Jets game last season, until I watched the first half of the Giants Jets preseason game this year it was like watching paint dry.

Last year was a great entering year in which the jets offense produce often and consistently and a 4 win team almost made the playoffs.  Hey I can see people not preferring Fitzparick at all and wanting to go in another direction.  What I 100% can see is people trying to change history by saying we were boring and awful on offense last year.  It is simply not the truth.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And wait....you thought the 2015 Giants game was boring?  The one where we scored 10 unanswered points in the 4th quarter for a comeback win, the first time we'd beaten the Giants since 1993?  That one?  Of all the games from last year to go with to bash Fitzpatrick, you pick that one.  Wow. 

What a glass-half-empty person you must be, and certainly a blast at parties.

I am a realist not a rah rah guy sorry if the truth makes you upset, oh, and I love parties.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Last year was a great entering year in which the jets offense produce often and consistently and a 4 win team almost made the playoffs.  Hey I can see people not preferring Fitzparick at all and wanting to go in another direction.  What I 100% can see is people trying to change history by saying we were boring and awful on offense last year.  It is simply not the truth.

You didn't watch correctly.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I am a realist not a rah rah guy sorry if the truth makes you upset, oh, and I love parties.

If you're going to be a realist, at least pick games where Fitzpatrick, you know, failed to lead us to a comeback win against a hated team that shares our building and had owned us for over 2 decades.  He had 6 losses last year so I'm sure you can find a more "boring" game to mention.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

If you're going to be a realist, at least pick games where Fitzpatrick, you know, failed to lead us to a comeback win against a hated team that shares our building. 

I did pick one, the Giants lost that game, a game Fitzpatrick lost first, but the Giants, and their coaches were a bunch of morons who said here we don't want it you take it.  Did you watch the first 55 minutes?  It was like watching the Rich Kotite led 1996 Jets offense.

I did pick one, the Giants lost that game, a game Fitzpatrick lost first, but the Giants, and their coaches were a bunch of morons who said here we don't want it you take it.  Did you watch the first 55 minutes?  It was like watching the Rich Kotite led 1996 Jets offense.

That's the difference between a guy like you and a guy like me.  I prefer to look at the fact that we won in exhilarating fashion, led by our QB.  Yet you chose to stew over the sh*tty parts.  And apparently still are. 

Sometimes, when 2 teams are both trying to win, the game is sh*tty for a while.  Had we lost that game I'd be right there with you.  But we found a way to win.  And that's kind of the point of playing the game.

And when Fitzpatrick gets bashed time and again for being a "loser", it's funny how he doesn't seem to be credited for coming through when we needed him most. Which he did several times last season.  The Giants game, Cowboys game, and 2nd Patriots game come to mind. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

That's the difference between a guy like you and a guy like me.  I prefer to look at the fact that we won in exhilarating fashion, led by our QB.  Yet you chose to stew over the sh*tty parts.  And apparently still are. 

The Jets won that game even thou Fitzpatrick played like sh!t, he had nothing to do why they won.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Very misleading thread title.  By reading the title you would have assumed Geno is playing.

But no, we're talking about IF he plays. 

IF

Not really.  If they're sold on him as the no. 2 with an injury prone starter and two promising young QBs who need reps, playing the no. 2 shouldnt be a consideration.   What is there to gain by playing him?  

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Not really.  If they're sold on him as the no. 2 with an injury prone starter and two promising young QBs who need reps, playing the no. 2 shouldnt be a consideration.   What is there to gain by playing him?  

He said he was considering it.  Your tilte makes it seem like he is playing.  He never said he was playing him and you posted a thought from Cimini about IF he plays.

IF he plays him, I'd say that means Geno is bye bye but considering something and doing something are 2 very different things.  I consider robbing a bank all the time because I dont want to work but I chose to work instead. 

He has been very closed lip about the position but now we should take him considering something to actually mean something.

16 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The Jets won that game even thou Fitzpatrick played like sh!t, he had nothing to do why they won.

Nothing to do with it?  You sure about that?

With 8:42 left, he led a 12-play drive where he went 7-11 for 80 yards, resulting in a FG that cut the Giants lead to 20-13

With 2:40 left, he led a 10-play drive where he went 6-8 for 61 yards and a 9-yard TD to Marshall to tie the game.  He also had a 15-yard run on the drive.

In OT, he led a 12-play drive where he went 5-8 for 53 yards, after which Bullock kicked what would be the game-winning kick.

So to summarize, he led a game-tying and game-winning drive in the 4th quarter/OT, going 18-27 (66.7 %), 194 yards (7.2 ypa) and a TD.

Yep, nothing to do with it.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nothing to do with it?  You sure about that?

With 8:42 left, he led a 12-play drive where he went 7-11 for 80 yards, resulting in a FG that cut the Giants lead to 20-13

With 2:40 left, he led a 10-play drive where he went 6-8 for 61 yards and a 9-yard TD to Marshall to tie the game.  He also had a 15-yard run on the drive.

In OT, he led a 12-play drive where he went 5-8 for 53 yards, after which Bullock kicked what would be the game-winning kick.

So to summarize, he led a game-tying and game-winning drive, going 18-27 (66.7 %), 194 yards (7.2 ypa) and a TD.

Yep, nothing to do with it.

Winning is all that matters...unless Fitz won in which case he had nothing to do with it. Try to keep up. 

We scored about 100 points more with Fitz than we did the previous 2 years with Geno but he had nothing to do with that. 

2 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Winning is all that matters...unless Fitz won in which case he had nothing to do with it. Try to keep up. 

We scored about 100 points more with Fitz than we did the previous 2 years with Geno but he had nothing to do with that. 

Who said anything about Geno?  I want neither him, or Fitz starting for this team, I'd rather crash, and burn with a guy like Petty with upside for cheap then waste 12 million of Fitz to go 7-9.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Who said anything about Geno?  I want neither him, or Fitz starting for this team, I'd rather crash, and burn with a guy like Petty with upside for cheap then waste 12 million of Fitz to go 7-9.

Ah, back to your original point I see, since I thoroughly owned your case that Fitz had "nothing to do with" an exciting win over the Giants. 

In your mind the game was boring and Fitz sucked.  You're most certainly a "realist".

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I think they still have not 100% made up their mind about the backup spot, unless some team offers up better than expected trade value for petty/geno.  I see Petty and smith getting about equal time and hackenburg time as well.  Not sure why the backup playing in the final game is viewed as some big deal, it isn't

It's entirely possible they're putting on a show to see if they can get an offer worth changing their plans for -- but how can you (anyone) say that they haven't made up their mind when they asked geno to do nothing but hand off the ball in week 3, versus letting Petty air it out? To me that's 100% suggestive that Geno has the #2 and they're still trying to figure exactly what they've got in Petty. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ah, back to your original point I see, since I thoroughly owned your case that Fitz had "nothing to do with" an exciting win over the Giants. 

In your mind the game was boring and Fitz sucked.  You're most certainly a "realist".

You owned nothing, you pointed out Fitzpatrick's last 3 drives stats, these stats mean nothing, you have to look and see the defense he played which was the worst passing D in the league last year, and a team playing prevent in 2 of those 3 drives.  You can look at it with your green colored goggles, and wear your rah rah Fitztragic fake beard all you want celebrating your perceived owning my ass, enjoy.

You owned nothing, you pointed out Fitzpatrick's last 3 drives stats, these stats mean nothing, you have to look and see the defense he played which was the worst passing D in the league last year, and a team playing prevent in 2 of those 3 drives.  You can look at it with your green colored goggles, and wear your rah rah Fitztragic fake beard all you want celebrating your perceived owning my ass, enjoy.

Prior to Fitz, we didn't have a QB capable of owning bad defenses with any kind of consistency since the first 11 weeks of the 2008 season. 

Good defense, bad defense....Sanchez and Geno sucked against them all.  That's one big difference you clearly overlook. 

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

one doesnt merely wear a fitzmagic beard, you have to rock it!!!

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

He said he was considering it.  Your tilte makes it seem like he is playing.  He never said he was playing him and you posted a thought from Cimini about IF he plays.

IF he plays him, I'd say that means Geno is bye bye but considering something and doing something are 2 very different things.  I consider robbing a bank all the time because I dont want to work but I chose to work instead. 

He has been very closed lip about the position but now we should take him considering something to actually mean something.

I see your point.  One thing I'm often guilty of, and I've said as much to Max in the past, is that I incorrectly assume everyone is as addicted to this team as I am.

With the thread title, I'm assuming (again, incorrectly) that every single Jets fan tuned in to hear Bowles' comments, leading me to believe there is no reason to repeat what he said within the thread title.  I can see how it would be misleading in that respect.  Definitely something I should remind myself of.

He's been closed lipped until yesterday.

Last week when they asked him who would play on Saturday he said "I'll tell you on Sunday".  Could've easily said the same thing here, but instead he flippantly says Geno might play along with the two kids.

In all honesty, putting him and/or Fitz at risk is silly when you have two guys who can use the reps.  Fitz or Geno aren't going to get any better by taking a few snaps against Phillys scrubs...Petty and Hack might.

Foolishly risking the loss of your starter or back up QB 2 weeks before the season starts makes no sense.  Unless you haven't decided if he is indeed your backup.

Either way...PS game 4 or not, I'll be there :)

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

You didn't watch correctly.

Apparently not.  Only team in the league to score at least 17 points a game.  3rd in redzone efficiency, one of the tops in lack of sacks take, 5 wins in a row before the crash in the last game including beating the pats all this from a previous 4 win team.  Sorry dude how anyone in their right mind to think like that after being subjected to the total sh*t show at Qb and on offense the previous 6 or 7 years I'll never know.

Anyway, carry on.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

It's entirely possible they're putting on a show to see if they can get an offer worth changing their plans for -- but how can you (anyone) say that they haven't made up their mind when they asked geno to do nothing but hand off the ball in week 3, versus letting Petty air it out? To me that's 100% suggestive that Geno has the #2 and they're still trying to figure exactly what they've got in Petty. 

Shrug, this front office and coaching staff is 'unconventional in the way they handle QB's'  If they are sold on geno at 2 then there should be about zero traded discussion about him,

48 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I see your point.  One thing I'm often guilty of, and I've said as much to Max in the past, is that I incorrectly assume everyone is as addicted to this team as I am.

With the thread title, I'm assuming (again, incorrectly) that every single Jets fan tuned in to hear Bowles' comments, leading me to believe there is no reason to repeat what he said within the thread title.  I can see how it would be misleading in that respect.  Definitely something I should remind myself of.

He's been closed lipped until yesterday.

Last week when they asked him who would play on Saturday he said "I'll tell you on Sunday".  Could've easily said the same thing here, but instead he flippantly says Geno might play along with the two kids.

In all honesty, putting him and/or Fitz at risk is silly when you have two guys who can use the reps.  Fitz or Geno aren't going to get any better by taking a few snaps against Phillys scrubs...Petty and Hack might.

Foolishly risking the loss of your starter or back up QB 2 weeks before the season starts makes no sense.  Unless you haven't decided if he is indeed your backup.

Either way...PS game 4 or not, I'll be there :)

Gotcha.  All good, I'm a nut job about them too, I just dont put a lot of stock into press conferences.

I agree..he might be deciding still.  

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

How many back up QBs have young 3rd and 4th QBs behind them who can use the reps, with a starter who has a significant injury history?

Jets aren't sold on Geno and I think you're dismissing it because you don't want it to be true.

No, not really, but if it floats your boat...

Abs the fact you brought up his injury history n that Petty will definitely be playing the 4th game with 3rd stringers suggests Geno isn't on the out without something drastic happening. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Gotcha.  All good, I'm a nut job about them too, I just dont put a lot of stock into press conferences.

I agree..he might be deciding still.  

PCs are about 99% worthless, but every now and then you pick up on a line that reveals a little something.

Bowles said during the first week of camp that the no. 2 job was up for grabs.  I caught the comment and did an article on it.

People went nuts and said it was just coach speak and I had an agenda.

Now, a month later, we've seen Petty out-rep Geno in practice, outplay Geno in games and the HC says he might want to see more of Geno on Thurs?  I think it's safe to say that even if Geno ends up at the no. 2, Petty was a couple of good passes away from taking the job if he hasn't already.

You going to the opener?

Geno Smith WILL NOT play Thursday, Bowles said

Bowles said Petty and Hackenberg will be the QBs on Thursday

Todd Bowles said he will "probably" play Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg on Thursday. No Geno.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Smart move.  Jets have nothing to gain by playing Geno and if they hope to trade him there's no need to get him nicked up,

or he's the #2 lol..  

You're too good to be a part of the mob.  Fight the darkside, friend.

17 minutes ago, AFJF said:

PCs are about 99% worthless, but every now and then you pick up on a line that reveals a little something.

Bowles said during the first week of camp that the no. 2 job was up for grabs.  I caught the comment and did an article on it.

People went nuts and said it was just coach speak and I had an agenda.

Now, a month later, we've seen Petty out-rep Geno in practice, outplay Geno in games and the HC says he might want to see more of Geno on Thurs?  I think it's safe to say that even if Geno ends up at the no. 2, Petty was a couple of good passes away from taking the job if he hasn't already.

You going to the opener?

Yep!  I'll be there.

10 minutes ago, Pac said:

or he's the #2 lol..  

You're too good to be a part of the mob.  Fight the darkside, friend.

That's why I said "smart move" as I've said several times in the thread.  Foolish to play the guy if he's the no. 2, also foolish if there's any hope of a trade.

Archived