Can this team go 11-3?

CobraVerde

32 minutes ago, peebag said:

we just need to get to 3-3, then we can talk.

Chiefs, Seahawks, Steelers, Cardinals

You are right and you are wrong.  We can't just get to 3-3, we need those 2 wins to come against the Chiefs and Steelers. 

Opening 3-3 with a 1-3 record against AFC teams and an 0-3 record against wildcard competitors will end our season.

Kansas City is a must-win game or it is all over.  It's already all over, I said this before the Cincinnati game and I said it after the Cincinnati game.  Yeah, we've had a 10 day feel-good after the Buffalo win but the reality is that the first two games on the schedule were the winnable ones, we are now in shark-infested waters for a month.  Our wildcard hangs by a thread, zero tolerance for losses against other wildcard competitors.  If we think we are a playoff team, it's time to beat some playoff teams.  Period.

Beat KC or start preparing for the draft.  Sorry.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Chiefs, Seahawks, Steelers, Cardinals

We can't just get to 3-3, we need those 2 wins to come against the Chiefs and Steelers. 

Opening 3-3 with a 1-3 record against AFC teams and an 0-3 record against wildcard competitors will end our season.

Kansas City is a must-win game or it is all over.  It's already all over, I said this before the Cincinnati game and I said it after the Cincinnati game.  Yeah, we've had a 10 day feel-good after the Buffalo win but the reality is that the first two games on the schedule were the winnable ones, we are now in shark-infested waters for a month.

Beat KC or start preparing for the draft.  Sorry.

SAR I

I would have agreed with you before the season. When you look at these 4 brutal games, the teams we are facing simply don't look like as much of a threat as they were last year.

You cannot look at the Seahawks as the same team they were when they got to the SB and won the SB. Even last season they were a better team than they are now. They simply cannot protect Wilson and they lost more impact players on defense in the offseason.

The Chiefs do not look like the team they were the past couple of years. Sure things can very well turn around for them. But they have to play the Jets in 2 days and their best player (Charles) is still banged up. The Jets face them while they are still trying to figure things out, which is lucky for us.

I'm not quite sold on the Cardinals being a power house either. It will be a very tough game, no doubt, but the Jets are not the Bucs- who gave up 40 points to the Cards last week.  

The Steelers is the only team you can pretty much put down an L for the Jets with the way they are playing. 

So no, after the Cincy loss, the season is NOT over. And even if the Jets lose to the Chiefs, they can still rally and beat the Hawks and Cards. Anything can happen. After these 4 games, the Jets get 4 very winnable games and then go into the bye to prepare for the Pats at home.       

15 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I would have agreed with you before the season. When you look at these 4 brutal games, the teams we are facing simply don't look like as much of a threat as they were last year.

You cannot look at the Seahawks as the same team they were when they got to the SB and won the SB. Even last season they were a better team than they are now. They simply cannot protect Wilson and they lost more impact players on defense in the offseason.

The Chiefs do not look like the team they were the past couple of years. Sure things can very well turn around for them. But they have to play the Jets in 2 days and their best player (Charles) is still banged up. The Jets face them while they are still trying to figure things out, which is lucky for us.

I'm not quite sold on the Cardinals being a power house either. It will be a very tough game, no doubt, but the Jets are not the Bucs- who gave up 40 points to the Cards last week.  

The Steelers is the only team you can pretty much put down an L for the Jets with the way they are playing. 

So no, after the Cincy loss, the season is NOT over. And even if the Jets lose to the Chiefs, they can still rally and beat the Hawks and Cards. Anything can happen. After these 4 games, the Jets get 4 very winnable games and then go into the bye to prepare for the Pats at home.       

Nope, sorry, not going to convince me.

KC is getting their RB back and is angry after a crap game last week, winning in Arrowhead is too hard.

The Cardinals and Seahawks can air it out and beat us with 1 or 2 homerun plays just like the Bengals did and Buffalo almost did.

Pittsburgh is the real deal, Roethlistberger to Brown?  I don't even want to think about it with our secondary.

Feels like 2-4 to me, say we beat the Seahawks at home, we'll be 1-3 in the conference, 0-3 against wildcard competitors, season over.

SAR I

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Nope, sorry, not going to convince me.

KC is getting their RB back and is angry after a crap game last week, winning in Arrowhead is too hard.

The Cardinals and Seahawks can air it out and beat us with 1 or 2 homerun plays just like the Bengals did and Buffalo almost did.

Pittsburgh is the real deal, Roethlistberger to Brown?  I don't even want to think about it with our secondary.

Feels like 2-4 to me, say we beat the Seahawks at home, we'll be 1-3 in the conference, 0-3 against wildcard competitors, season over.

SAR I

KC getting their RB back, who is not at 100% and have to face the Jets run D. I GUARANTEE you the Chiefs RBs do not go over 100yrds COMBINED. Jets will focus on stuffing the run and limiting the short passing game. Winning in Arrowhead is too hard??? Sounds whiny. I don't think that's what the Jets players are thinking. 

Seahawks need to first figure out how they are going to protect Wilson against our D-line before assuming homerun plays will beat us.  

Also, its week 3. WHAT WILDCARD COMPETITORS??? I mean, let's give it until AT LEAST mid way through the season before we start thinking about who is in the running for a Wild Card spot. 

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

KC getting their RB back, who is not at 100% and have to face the Jets run D. I GUARANTEE you the Chiefs RBs do not go over 100yrds COMBINED. Jets will focus on stuffing the run and limiting the short passing game. Winning in Arrowhead is too hard??? Sounds whiny. I don't think that's what the Jets players are thinking. 

Seahawks need to first figure out how they are going to protect Wilson against our D-line before assuming homerun plays will beat us.  

Also, its week 3. WHAT WILDCARD COMPETITORS??? I mean, let's give it until AT LEAST mid way through the season before we start thinking about who is in the running for a Wild Card spot. 

It takes no rocket scientist to see that the locks for wildcard potential are the Steelers, Bengals, Broncos, Chiefs, and Texans considering their records this year are a combined 10-3 a mere two weeks into the season and the fact that they were playoff teams last year.

Because of our killer schedule, THIS is the equivalent of "mid-way through the season" for us.  All the big games happen fast and early, only a few later on.

The Jets haven't beaten a quality team on the road since Mark Sanchez was under center in 2010.  Last year, we lost all our rough road games at Oakland, at New England, and at Houston.  This year we were lucky to hold on and win a road game against a lame team, feels just like the Cowboys or Giants games last year.  Nothing has really changed.

If you look at the schedule based on how we do on the road and against good/bad opponents during the Bowles/Fitzpatrick era you get something that looks like this:

at Chiefs (L - tough team on the road)
Seattle (L - they are a better team and can go deep)
at Pittsburgh (L - tough team on the road)
at Arizona (L - tough team on the road)
Baltimore (L - at 1-5 we are too demoralized to beat them)
at Cleveland (W - we beat most weak teams on the road)
at Miami (W - we beat most weak teams on the road)
Los Angeles (W - we beat most weak teams at home)
Patriots (W - should split with the Patriots)
Colts (L - we never beat all weak teams at home)
at 49ers (L - we never win all weak teams on the road)
Dolphins (W - we beat most weak teams at home)
at Patriots (L - tough team on the road)
Bills (W - we beat most weak teams at home)

That's 7-9 which is exactly where I had the Jets in my preseason prediction.  I said we needed to open 2-0.  We didn't.

And regarding the above, if I'm wrong about losing to Seattle and Baltimore then I'm wrong about sweeping the Bills and Dolphins, it's all relative, we always win a few games we shouldn't and lose a few games we shouldn't, switch 'em up, have fun, but in the end we're heading to 7-9 or maybe 9-7, no wildcard in our future if we don't flip the script and beat Kansas City and Pittsburgh.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It takes no rocket scientist to see that the locks for wildcard potential are the Steelers, Bengals, Broncos, Chiefs, and Texans considering their records this year are a combined 10-3 a mere two weeks into the season and the fact that they were playoff teams last year.

Because of our killer schedule, THIS is the equivalent of "mid-way through the season" for us.  All the big games happen fast and early, only a few later on.

The Jets haven't beaten a quality team on the road since Mark Sanchez was under center in 2010.  Last year, we lost all our rough road games at Oakland, at New England, and at Houston.  This year we were lucky to hold on and win a road game against a lame team, feels just like the Cowboys or Giants games last year.  Nothing has really changed.

If you look at the schedule based on how we do on the road and against good/bad opponents during the Bowles/Fitzpatrick era you get something that looks like this:

at Chiefs (L - tough team on the road)
Seattle (L - they are a better team and can go deep)
at Arizona (L - tough team on the road)
at Pittsburgh (L - tough team on the road)
Baltimore (L - at 1-5 we are too demoralized to beat them)
at Cleveland (W - we beat most weak teams on the road)
at Miami (W - we beat most weak teams on the road)
Los Angeles (W - we beat most weak teams at home)
Patriots (W - should split with the Patriots)
Colts (L - we never beat all weak teams at home)
at 49ers (L - we never win all weak teams on the road)
Dolphins (W - we beat most weak teams at home)
at Patriots (L - tough team on the road)
Bills (W - we beat most weak teams at home)

That's 7-9 which is exactly where I had the Jets in my preseason prediction.  I said we needed to open 2-0.  We did.

SAR I

Hell of a coincidence . LOL

9 hours ago, j4jets said:

I think so. We must split with the Pats at the very least, which is likely. A sweep essentially gives us three wins due to tiebreakers but it'll take a lot for that to happen.

Then we must win two of Chiefs, Seahawks, Steelers n Cards, which is possible.  All other games should be a win to win the division. Should be. 

So it's possible we end up 12-4. However, 10-6 is far more likely than 11-5 or 9-7 imo. There are games we should win that we will lose (a Miami game?). 

I would equate the Jets splitting two with the Patriots with the same odds of the Jets going to the SuperBowl.  I expect at the end of this season.................Same old Jets.

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Hell of a coincidence . LOL

Look at the schedule, remember who we are, I don't see it any other way.

This year we let a ripe Bengals team off the hook and we struggled against a weak Buffalo team. 

Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Arizona.  3 road trips in 4 weeks and we don't beat good teams on the road.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

;Well, I guess there is just one thing to do....

... win the whole f'n thing

Let's put it this way:  Unlike other seasons, if the Jets get a wildcard this season they will have earned it, no backing in, no cupcakes to feast on.

We are in the playoffs right now.  KC, SEA, PIT.  Need to win all 3. 

SAR I

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Look at the schedule, remember who we are, I don't see it any other way.

This year we let a ripe Bengals team off the hook and we struggled against a weak Buffalo team. 

Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Arizona.  3 road trips in 4 weeks and we don't beat good teams on the road.

SAR I

To be fair we don't beat good teams period.  So the fact we play them at home or away is irrelevant.  Basically rendering your prognostication to nothing more than an urban legend.  So basically we make the playoffs and attend our third NFL final four tournement in ten years.  Not too shabby if you ask this fatman.  

29 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Let's put it this way:  Unlike other seasons, if the Jets get a wildcard this season they will have earned it, no backing in, no cupcakes to feast on.

We are in the playoffs right now.  KC, SEA, PIT.  Need to win all 3. 

SAR I

No cupcakes? Dude stop, your scaring the fatman.

23 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

To be fair we don't beat good teams period.  So the fact we play them at home or away is irrelevant.  Basically rendering your prognostication to nothing more than an urban legend.  So basically we make the playoffs and attend our third NFL final four tournement in ten years.  Not too shabby if you ask this fatman.  

If the Jets can beat the Chiefs and Steelers, yes, the playoffs would then look like something rational to begin taking seriously.

Until then, we are a 1-1 team that almost lost to the Buffalo Bills despite the best QB play we've seen since Brett Favre and the best pass rush since the Sack Exchange.

SAR I

17 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If the Jets can beat the Chiefs and Steelers, yes, the playoffs would then look like something rational to begin taking seriously.

Until then, we are a 1-1 team that almost lost to the Buffalo Bills despite the best QB play we've seen since Brett Favre and the best pass rush since the Sack Exchange.

SAR I

You can just as easily argue we are a 1-1 team that almost beat the Bengals and their Pro Bowl duo of AJ Green and Dalton if not for a missed gimme FG. I mean WTF??? Bottom line, this team is playing well, they have some things they need to work on, but they are healthy (for the most part) and its 2 GAMES INTO the season. Anything can still happen, and nobody knows what the playoff picture will look like. The Jets can go undefeated the rest of the way or they can lose every game the rest of the way. 

2 hours ago, Maine Coon Cat said:

I would equate the Jets splitting two with the Patriots with the same odds of the Jets going to the SuperBowl.  I expect at the end of this season.................Same old Jets.

I tend to agree with you. After all, we did make the SB last year after beating the Pats, right? For the record, the last 4 games we've played against the Pats, we've lost 2 on time expiring, leading changing blocked FGs, we've lost one after having a 10 point lead late in the game last year (iirc) and won one. Sweeping the Pats isn't out of the question. You worry about Edelman playing QB. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

No, we didn't "almost" lose to the Bills. That game was one sided from the getgo, outside of couple of fluke plays for the Jills. Kudos to them scoring a TD against prevent D. 

If anything, we are a 1-1 team that outplayed Cincy and nearly beat them.

Yes as a matter of fact I think we are very capable of pulling that off. I just feel very good about the JETS this year, think were just getting ready to realize just how really good  this team is. Its our year so yeah  12 and 4 sounds about right to me.  Just hope im not under estimating them.

Yes as a matter of fact I think we are very capable of pulling that off. I just feel very good about the JETS this year, think were just getting ready to realize just how really good  this team is. Its our year so yeah  12 and 4 sounds about right to me.  Just hope im not under estimating them.

12-4 and you think you are under estimating them?

On September 23, 2016 at 0:18 AM, Powpow said:

Didn't you say Buffalo would beat the Jets last week? 

He'll keep picking against them until he's right & then he'll respond. Not much of a response after TNF. Not being critical, like I said before the Bills game, I've seen enough from the Jets to see the glass half full, especially seeing how Seattle has played so far. Jets don't turn over the ball they can beat anybody, including the Steelers.

20 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Fluke plays made that game close. We dominated the game and we will beat them again in NY. Buh bye Rexy. 

52 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Fluke plays made that game close. We dominated the game and we will beat them again in NY. Buh bye Rexy. 

My point is that while the Jets have taken incredible strides since 4-12, this year's team looks just like last year's team with a bigger fatal flaw-  giving up huge plays in the air. 

Remember, we had a record-setting offense last year, we could compete with anyone on the ground or in the air.  Our issue was defense and, sorry, we don't look better right now.

And, most of all, there are two types of teams and we have only proven we consistently beat one of them-  the below-average group.  Against elite teams, against playoff-caliber competition, we have yet to prove we can get it done.  Our win over the Patriots last year was huge but it was at home, we haven't won a road game against a true playoff team since 2010.

Beat KC, we can talk.  Beat KC and Pittsburgh we can puff our chests.  Until then, we are a 7-9 team with a fanbase overreacting to beating one of the worst teams in the NFL.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

My point is that while the Jets have taken incredible strides since 4-12, this year's team looks just like last year's team with a bigger fatal flaw-  giving up huge plays in the air. 

Remember, we had a record-setting offense last year, we could compete with anyone on the ground or in the air.  Our issue was defense and, sorry, we don't look better right now.

And, most of all, there are two types of teams and we have only proven we consistently beat one of them-  the below-average group.  Against elite teams, against playoff-caliber competition, we have yet to prove we can get it done.  Our win over the Patriots last year was huge but it was at home, we haven't won a road game against a true playoff team since 2010.

Beat KC, we can talk.  Beat KC and Pittsburgh we can puff our chests.  Until then, we are a 7-9 team with a fanbase overreacting to beating one of the worst teams in the NFL.

SAR I

I agree we must beat an elite team on the road. But I believe we will be better this year than last. We have more offensive weapons and congruence.  And the defense despite the mental errors have looked dominant at times.  The key operative word here is WILL. We are only 2 games into the season but you have to be excited at what you see....that is if you take off your foster grants. ?

Archived